Charges against Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton dropped

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Charges against Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton dropped

Post by greeneyed »

NRL superstars Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton arrested over alleged fight

The NRL superstars Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton have been arrested over an incident at a nightclub in Canberra late on Saturday night. The Kangaroos stars and close mates are now the subject of an NRL Integrity Unit investigation. The pair had been out celebrating Wighton’s 30th birthday. They are alleged to have had a fight between themselves which witnesses suggested was not a lot more than a friendly wrestle.

However police were called and Mitchell was charged with resisting arrest. Wighton was also charged and the pair are likely to face court in the ACT.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 5c2a67a18e

Latrell Mitchell, Jack Wighton arrested after alleged birthday scuffle outside nightclub: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6ecd6f895f

NRL stars Jack Wighton and Latrell Mitchell arrested following Canberra nightclub incident: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329

Canberra Raiders club statement

The Canberra Raiders have been made aware of an alleged incident involving Jack Wighton last night in Canberra. The club has informed the NRL integrity unit and is cooperating with ACT police. The Raiders will not be making further comment at this time.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: NRL superstars Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton arrested over alleged fight

Post by GreenMachine »

Great.
We couldn’t just enjoy the easy season draw could we?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: NRL superstars Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton arrested over alleged fight

Post by yeh raiders »

Don’t know what actually happened but there comes a point in time in a blokes life, when you stop going to nightclubs. I would’ve thought having a target on your back and a young family at home might be a decent indicator that your clubbing days are over… I guess not.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Not ideal.

Can’t see them heading to NZ.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

My surprise. Imagine it, even for a moment, if you will.

We couldn’t go one off season could we? Footy players are so stupid. Wighton especially. With his past he should be banned from clubs in Canberra.

It really isn’t that hard to celebrate a 30th birthday without the cops getting involved. The mind boggles.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Not for the first time unfortunately for Jack.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

I imagine if he’s celebrating his 30th in Canberra, a fair assumption he had a number of team mates with him.

Could none of them tell him to pull his head in and get him out of there before the “fail to quit” and resisting the cops occurred?

Even if the footage later shows the cops are at fault like the Curtis Scott and Tom Starling matters, it shouldn’t get to that point.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

His party was in Queanbeyan, the alleged incident happened in the city.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Friendly wrestle between 2 mates who are big NRL players. I can understand it wouldn't have looked good. So hopefully nothing comes of it if that's all it was
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

What an enjoyable end to the night on your 30th birthday. Spending the night in a police cell. Time to grow up, dumb ****
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Apparently Jack’s birthday party was at a Queanbeyan Hotel, and they went on to a nightclub in Canberra where the incident occurred. Doesn’t sound like there is much in it. Mitchell was staying at Jack Wighton’s house.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: February 5, 2023, 10:32 am Apparently Jack’s birthday party was at a Queanbeyan Hotel, and they went on to a nightclub in Canberra where the incident occurred. Doesn’t sound like there is much in it. Mitchell was staying at Jack Wighton’s house.
Sounds like a relatively minor incident. Both players have some form though. They will cop a fine from the NRL at a minimum. Maybe have to sit for a week or two given their records.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

His charges are fighting in a public place and ignoring an exclusion order

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited by -TW- on February 5, 2023, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

🤦‍♂️
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:Doesn’t sound like there is much in it. Mitchell was staying at Jack Wighton’s house.
Is that a euphemism for sharing a holding cell? Image
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Oh, grow up.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

It's not his go.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Hopefully in a few months time the DT will be able to recycle one of Blake Ferguson's many 'redemption' stories ... save starting another from scratch.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I love to punch on with my mates.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

NRL superstars Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton arrested over alleged fight

Post by Robert the Bruce »

At Fiction!? Same place as his last fighting misdemeanour right? Morons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Robert the Bruce on February 5, 2023, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

If they've really decided to have a playfight in the middle of a nightclub, that's still a bit of a dick move - they're big guys, they take up a bit of space, still a risk a bystander could get hurt - but it's not the end of the world. No-one ever proclaimed that either of these two were geniuses.

Though if I was Souths I wouldn't be thrilled that my megastar player who'd I'd just paid a squillion dollars to go to the States to get his dodgy hammy fixed by some Superdoctor was playfighting in a nightclub...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Honestly who hasnt had a little wrestle with their mates, the charges wil be dropped, the judge will tell them their silly boys for bringing heat on them selfs, and told not to do it again, a silly nothing story that 99% blokes have done in their life except these two are footy players who have had similar things happen in the past that werent mates being mates thing.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sorted. I asked ChatGPT to knock up a Jack Wighton Redemption story, to save the DT the time. I love the fact that there are so many Wighton redemption stories out there that AI can cobble together a new one from the parts:

Jack Wighton's NRL career has been a tale of redemption. The 30-year-old Canberra Raiders five-eighth has been through the ups and downs, but his hard work and determination have paid off with him becoming one of the game's most exciting players.

In the pre-season, Wighton was involved in a late-night altercation. However, the New South Wales native was determined to turn his life around and earn back the trust of the rugby league community.

"I've learned a lot and I'm hoping to take on more of a leadership role at the club in 2023," said Wighton. "I owe it to my family to make the most of the opportunity I have at the Canberra Raiders."

In 2020, Wighton was awarded the NRL's Dally M Medal for being the best player in the competition. He was instrumental in the Raiders' Grand Final run in 2021, setting up tries and scoring himself, cementing his status as one of the best in the game.

"Jack's journey is one of the most inspiring stories in recent years," said an NRL insider. "He has shown that with the right attitude and support, anyone can turn their life around and achieve their goals."

Wighton's redemption story is a reminder that no matter how difficult the road ahead may seem, there is always hope for a better tomorrow. The Canberra Raiders will be counting on Wighton's leadership and on-field brilliance in 2023 as they look to go one step further and win the NRL Grand Final.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It was outside the nightclub.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Robert the Bruce wrote: February 5, 2023, 11:18 am At Fiction!? Same place as his last fighting misdemeanour right? Morons

Could be. It's on Bunda Street where the alleged fight occured.

Regardless, after what happened previously with Jack, you'd think any birthday celebrations would be at home and no kicking on elsewhere.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Bulldog
Ken Nagas

Post by Bulldog »

A friendly tussle they may claim, but it ended up with both parties being arrested and held in custody overnight. A serious matter. Perhaps Matt Frawley may need to start warming up on the sidelines...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: February 5, 2023, 11:14 am Hopefully in a few months time the DT will be able to recycle one of Blake Ferguson's many 'redemption' stories ... save starting another from scratch.
That article where fergo was wearing the sweater tied around his neck, with the new girlfriend in tow and the “Oh Toddy! What are you doing” was one of the greatest pieces of journalism of modern times

Just perfection hahah
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Re Wighton/Latrell

Really doesn’t sound like much beyond a couple of drunk mates getting a bit agro at each other after too many
Not a big deal but as others suggested, this is the stuff you expect from a 18-23 year olds… 30 is a bit long in the tooth to be doing dumb **** like this
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Jack is “Mr February” on the 2023 Raiders calendar.

I’ve got to look at his stooooopid head for another 23 days.

#notrealbright
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

greeneyed wrote:It was outside the nightclub.
Wow, so literally within 10 meters of the alleyway…..

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Haha. To be fair, that's the only reason I'd invite Latrell Mitchell to a party.

Don't care what happened really. I'm going to assume Mitchell started it with his big gob.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote: February 5, 2023, 11:21 am Sorted. I asked ChatGPT to knock up a Jack Wighton Redemption story, to save the DT the time. I love the fact that there are so many Wighton redemption stories out there that AI can cobble together a new one from the parts:

Jack Wighton's NRL career has been a tale of redemption. The 30-year-old Canberra Raiders five-eighth has been through the ups and downs, but his hard work and determination have paid off with him becoming one of the game's most exciting players.

In the pre-season, Wighton was involved in a late-night altercation. However, the New South Wales native was determined to turn his life around and earn back the trust of the rugby league community.

"I've learned a lot and I'm hoping to take on more of a leadership role at the club in 2023," said Wighton. "I owe it to my family to make the most of the opportunity I have at the Canberra Raiders."

In 2020, Wighton was awarded the NRL's Dally M Medal for being the best player in the competition. He was instrumental in the Raiders' Grand Final run in 2021, setting up tries and scoring himself, cementing his status as one of the best in the game.

"Jack's journey is one of the most inspiring stories in recent years," said an NRL insider. "He has shown that with the right attitude and support, anyone can turn their life around and achieve their goals."

Wighton's redemption story is a reminder that no matter how difficult the road ahead may seem, there is always hope for a better tomorrow. The Canberra Raiders will be counting on Wighton's leadership and on-field brilliance in 2023 as they look to go one step further and win the NRL Grand Final.
Reads exactly like something from nrl.com
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Stupid, thickheaded morons.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

It’s not his go…or his go…
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

I think its a massive overreaction from the media. You watch what comes out of this. Jack won't miss any games, probably get fined and that's it.