The Politics Thread 2023

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Re: The Politics Thread 2023

Post by Boomercm »

gangrenous wrote: December 19, 2023, 8:22 pm Why haven’t you surrendered and made peace with me after you lost our argument? Image
It's a tricky subject and it is taking some time. You also used an unusual definition, which was my own fault for letting you define it :cry:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You don’t have to tie yourself in knots trying to argue against it. If you’re finding it difficult it could be that I’m right and you agree with what I’m saying.

Just a thought.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha this is absolutely incredible
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So, the Colorado Supreme Court has found that Trump participated in the insurrection and has deemed him ineligible for the Presidential election, removing his name from the primary ballot. No doubt that the Federal Supreme Court that he stacked will overturn it, and it will mobilise his rabid support base more. Interesting times.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Love it.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

In other words, Colorado has saved democracy by not allowing people to vote for the preferred candidate
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Personally, I hope Trump is eaten by leopards, but that court decision is the kind of thing they'll be teaching in 200 years as the start of the Second Civil War. Complete disaster.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

With the way the US is in terms of politics and how black and white it's become and continues to go, it often feels like that country is on a one way path to a second civil war and i see comments like that get thrown around a bit, probably mostly glibly

Im curious if anyone thinks that actually really where this is all headed in the near-ish future (say next 50-100 years).
Its really not hard to see a path to it but i find it hard to actually believe it would ever get that far.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:Personally, I hope Trump is eaten by leopards, but that court decision is the kind of thing they'll be teaching in 200 years as the start of the Second Civil War. Complete disaster.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Mainly eating his face?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It's got that 1930s Germany feel about it. A slow spiral into a fascist dictatorship.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The tripartite separation of powers is a social contract in which each arm accepts the legitimacy of the other arms.

When people are lamenting or decrying one arm exercising its authority because it is politically inconvenient, it means the system has been significantly degraded, possibly beyond repair.

For all of Australia’s faults, thankfully we still live in a system with enough integrity whereby political leaders feel compelled to resign over $2000 worth of shares or a bottle of red wine.
Up The Milk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Don't forment a violent coup attempt and try to intimidate election officials into changing results if you want to participate in future elections. Seems like a pathetically low bar.
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

Botman wrote: December 21, 2023, 6:49 pm With the way the US is in terms of politics and how black and white it's become and continues to go, it often feels like that country is on a one way path to a second civil war and i see comments like that get thrown around a bit, probably mostly glibly

Im curious if anyone thinks that actually really where this is all headed in the near-ish future (say next 50-100 years).
Its really not hard to see a path to it but i find it hard to actually believe it would ever get that far.
If you are into podcasts David McWilliams latest episode really nails the problems America is facing culturally and politically. Really worth a listen.
I bang on about McWilliams a lot politically but the little Irishman has a brain the size of Jupiter and I wish he was President of planet Earth :woot:
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

DMac is a legend and his podcast is a ripper.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, I'm really enjoying that podcast too, it's really quite informative and well done.

I'm so glad Dr Zaius got us all onto it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: December 21, 2023, 6:49 pm With the way the US is in terms of politics and how black and white it's become and continues to go, it often feels like that country is on a one way path to a second civil war and i see comments like that get thrown around a bit, probably mostly glibly

I think they've been spiraling down that path for quite a while now, it really does seem like a case of if and not when that country finally bursts and erupts in on itself. And the impacts it could have on a global scale are rather frightening.

I had a particularly sobering thought this morning while I was walking the dog. Hopefully it's just me over-reacting again like I did with COVID and saying Russia was going to invade Ukraine, but it really does seem like, similar to what TR was saying, that in 20 years' time we could very well be looking back and saying something like "You know, 2024 was the last normal year before the world all went to complete hell."

And I know that's a big call in the wake of 2020 in particular, but there's a very real potential future that could be set in motion in 12 months that could have catastrophic outcomes for the whole world. The ranging impacts to America, to Russia, all of Europe and China, and by extension us, could be really monumental.

Let's just hope we're not writing those above words on a cave wall in chalk. What was it that Albert Einstein is quoted as saying about the fourth world war?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: December 22, 2023, 9:14 am Yeah, I'm really enjoying that podcast too, it's really quite informative and well done.

Thanks Dr Zaius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

samvucago wrote: December 22, 2023, 8:12 am

If you are into podcasts David McWilliams latest episode really nails the problems America is facing culturally and politically. Really worth a listen.
I bang on about McWilliams a lot politically but the little Irishman has a brain the size of Jupiter and I wish he was President of planet Earth :woot:
Usually i have a pretty full podcast feed, but as it stands my NFL team is having a tough time and im sick of hearing about it, so i made room to listen to the latest McWilliams podcast. And yeah it was a good listen. Certainly paints an interesting picture for the US right now politically, they're on a pretty scary path and it's kind of hard to see where an off ramp comes.

Re my comment about Civil War, i guess reasonable arguments could be made that even if that doesnt involve generals, and armies and soldiers, and it looks different, that the country is already experiencing/is on the cusp of a cultural and political civil war or sorts.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

zim wrote:Don't forment a violent coup attempt and try to intimidate election officials into changing results if you want to participate in future elections. Seems like a pathetically low bar.
Completely agree with what you’re saying.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote: December 22, 2023, 9:42 am
The Nickman wrote: December 22, 2023, 9:14 am Yeah, I'm really enjoying that podcast too, it's really quite informative and well done.

Thanks Dr Zaius.
It's my pleasure. It really is.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It find it hard to imagine a civil war in modern USA. This isn't the 1800s, or some poorly developed African state where people can arm themselves and an even conflict ensues. This is the most powerful country on earth. Whoever controls the military wins the battle easily. Civil unrest, yes. Civil war, no.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha the response from boomer sure is taking a fair bit longer than his original bravado suggested it would, isn't it?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Probably not high on his priorities arguing with woke commies.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’ll take that as a compliment
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

This thread is worse than 300 itchy sweaters.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

He's worse than fruit cake.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby wrote:He's worse than fruit cake.
I'm genuinely interested to hear what you don't like about the current Prime Minister, and how you would compare/contrast that to our last Prime Minister.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2023

Post by gangrenous »

Well all he does is be Prime Minister and isn’t secretly responsible for 5 ministries. So he’s just not a hard worker I guess…
Last edited by gangrenous on December 24, 2023, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Doesn't destroy international relations either

**** gronk
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 24, 2023, 10:53 am
I'm genuinely interested to hear what you don't like about the current Prime Minister, and how you would compare/contrast that to our last Prime Minister.
He's a liar. He lied that the Voice was a one page document, when it clearly wasn't.

He said he'd bring power prices down. They've gone up.

He was shamed until visiting Alice Springs to witness its unacceptable crime scene. He stayed for 4 hours before spending days at the tennis eating ice cream and downing beers.

His asinine renewable energy focus is laughable. He couldnt get his wind turbines to certain areas because the roads can't handle them.

He released 84 foreign criminals back in society.

Immigration i way too high.

He is not doing enough to slow inflation. Australia topped The Economist’s “inflation entrenchment index” in Q3 of this year.

As for Morrison. Meh. That guy was underwhelming and a huge disappointment.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby wrote:
He's a liar. He lied that the Voice was a one page document, when it clearly wasn't.

He was shamed until visiting Alice Springs to witness its unacceptable crime scene. He stayed for 4 hours before spending days at the tennis eating ice cream and downing beers.

His asinine renewable energy focus is laughable. He couldnt get his wind turbines to certain areas because the roads can't handle them.

He is not doing enough to slow inflation. Australia topped The Economist’s “inflation entrenchment index” in Q3 of this year.

My understanding is that power prices reflect ageing coal power facilities more frequently off line, and a lack of investment in renewables, all from mishandling at a federal level over the last 10 years. A lot of that comes from political pressure from those who have the view that investment in renewables is asinine. I'm not sure a government that has been in power a little over 12 months is going to have any meaningful impact.

He released 84 criminals back into the community based on the ruling of the High Court, that ruled a law drafted by Peter Dutton was unconstitutional. Should he have ignored the High Court ruling? Perhaps you should be asking why an unconstitutional law was passed in the first place.

I think that you give the Feds far too much credit if you think that they can control inflation largely driven by global factors.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I love chat about the immigration detention issue. People hand wringing about it are deadset just telling on themselves

The recidivism rate in Australia is over 50%.

And 60k convicts are released into the community each year.

So that means that every year we have 30k convicts reoffending in the community. And nary an eyelash is batted.

We have half a dozen convicts reoffending who happen to have brown skin and it is a pearl clutching olympics. Egged on by disingenuous **** like Peter Dutton and gladly parroted by people like Dubby.
Up The Milk
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Dr Zaius wrote:
dubby wrote:

My understanding is that power prices reflect ageing coal power facilities more frequently off line, and a lack of investment in renewables, all from mishandling at a federal level over the last 10 years. A lot of that comes from political pressure from those who have the view that investment in renewables is asinine. I'm not sure a government that has been in power a little over 12 months is going to have any meaningful impact.

He released 84 criminals back into the community based on the ruling of the High Court, that ruled a law drafted by Peter Dutton was unconstitutional. Should he have ignored the High Court ruling? Perhaps you should be asking why an unconstitutional law was passed in the first place.

I think that you give the Feds far too much credit if you think that they can control inflation largely driven by global factors.
You asked me what I don't like, I answered.

I respect your reply, and there is a lot more to it than we could discuss here.

We don't hold similar world views, and that's good. I respect you Doc because you're never ad hominem in your posts. I enjoy your perspective because it challenges me (in a good way) to learn more.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Mickey_Raider wrote:I love chat about the immigration detention issue. People hand wringing about it are deadset just telling on themselves

So that means that every year we have 30k convicts reoffending in the community. And nary an eyelash is batted.

We have half a dozen convicts reoffending who happen to have brown skin and it is a pearl clutching olympics. Egged on by disingenuous **** like Peter Dutton and gladly parroted by people like Dubby.
They don't have a visa. Why on earth are they here?

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

dubby wrote: December 24, 2023, 1:24 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:I love chat about the immigration detention issue. People hand wringing about it are deadset just telling on themselves

They don't have a visa. Why on earth are they here?

They are refugees mate. In most other countries they would have been settled in the community a long long time ago with very little fuss.

It’s just that in this country we have for some reason been conditioned into accepting that there is a class of refugees who are sub-human depending on their mode of arrival.

“Boat people”.
Up The Milk