Rugby League 2023

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Rugby League 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Super League’s revolutionary new rule... and how it could solve the NRL’s biggest issue

The English Super League is set to revamp their green card system which attempts to stop players feigning an injury — and NRL powerbrokers will be keeping a close eye on the rule.

The green card was introduced abroad in 2022 but was only used if a trainer or team doctor called for the game to be stopped, which saw the player removed from the field for two minutes. In 2023 the green card is set to be used in every clash, and any injury stoppage will see players sent from the field for two minutes to receive treatment.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8f64fc8586
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rugby League 2023

Post by greeneyed »

No new rules for 2023

The Commission, after extensive consultation with all stakeholders, has decided not to introduce any new rules for the 2023 season.

However, the stakeholders requested clarification on existing interpretations. The NRL has confirmed the following amendments to existing Laws and Interpretations ahead of the 2023 NRL Pre-Season and Premiership.

The changes are designed to enhance the existing Laws and Interpretations which have led to a faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable game.

AMENDMENTS FOR THE 2023 SEASON

Grounding the Ball
Tries will now be awarded if the ball rotates from the hand to the wrist or forearm provided there is no obvious separation between the ball and the hand or arm. The new interpretation will allow further clarity for officials when adjudicating grounding.

Operation of the 18th player rule
The number of failed head injury assessments will be reduced from three (3) to two (2) to trigger the activation of the 18th player. This will allow greater flexibility for Clubs which lose multiple players to head injuries in a match.

Intervention of Bunker in Foul Play
The Bunker may only intervene for acts of foul play which it deems to be reportable. The change will ensure fewer needless stoppages while also confirming a firmer process around foul play intervention.

Captain’s Challenge
A challenge may be initiated after the referee blows his whistle to stop play, rather than only after a decision resulting in a structured restart. Decisions which cannot be challenged will continue to include forward passes, roll balls and discretionary penalties including 10m offside, ruck infringements relating to play-the-ball speed, tackled into touch after held call and dissent.

A Challenge can be made following the final play in each half provided the referee has not already called half or full-time. The changes will add further clarity for fans, broadcasters, Clubs and players around when a Captain’s Challenge can and cannot be initiated.

Off-side infringements at scrums
A full penalty will be awarded (rather than a set restart), for off-side scrum infringements by the defensive team anywhere on the field. The non-infringing team will retain the option of repacking the scrum or taking the awarded penalty. Any team which deliberately locks the ball in the scrum to trap defenders in an off-side position will also be penalised.

10m compliance in general play
Active defenders must have both feet in line or behind the referee when setting the 10-metre defensive line. Referees will have the option of awarding a full penalty for multiple 10m breaches without requiring the mandatory use of the sin bin. Referees can still use the sin bin if they consider breaches to be deliberate or cynical. The changes will give further clarity to officials and teams around what constitutes a breach of the rules.

Adjudication of completed tackles
Referees will issue a single call of “held/release” when a tackle is complete, rather than the separate calls of “held” and “release”. The change will address unnecessary slowing of the play-the-ball and improve game continuity.

“While relatively minor, these changes will improve three elements of the game – player safety, the game presentation for fans and off-side compliance,” NRL Executive General Manager – Elite Football Graham Annesley said.

“We undertook a thorough review of the 2022 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders.

“The overriding feedback was the current interpretations are creating a faster and more free-flowing game, but there was a need to address some minor issues which have emerged.

“These changes will allow Clubs and players clarity on certain issues while also giving fans more entertainment and transparency as the game evolves in 2023.”

NRL media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No new rules, just seven new interpretations!

“The Bunker may only intervene for acts of foul play which it deems to be reportable”… that’s how it was already meant to work! The Matt Lodge dive rule.

Why shouldn’t teams be allowed to lock the ball in the scrum? It has been permitted since time immemorial.

What was wrong with the grip the ball rule?

Captain’s challenge when there’s a stoppage… change to justify what they told us was legal in the Tigers game…

18th player, makes sense.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:No new rules, just seven new interpretations!

“The Bunker may only intervene for acts of foul play which it deems to be reportable”… that’s how it was already meant to work! The Matt Lodge dive rule.

Why shouldn’t teams be allowed to lock the ball in the scrum? It has been permitted since time immemorial.

What was wrong with the grip the ball rule?

Captain’s challenge when there’s a stoppage… change to justify what they told us was legal in the Tigers game…

18th player, makes sense.
Agreed. The gripping of the ball one will be reversed or modified again when this interpretation is stuffed up. And yeah, why can't you hold the ball in the scrum. Including 'deliberate' in the rulebook/interpretation is ridiculous. How can a referee interpret the intentions of a player?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Classic case of a coaches rule change that no one else in the game asked for.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Classic case of a coaches rule change that no one else in the game asked for.
Which one, or all of them? Most won't have much of an impact but that gripping the ball change is going to be terrible. A bit like changes to the obstruction rules. Further increasing the grey areas of the game.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

No new rules for 2023 season

Post by Finchy »

Some very interesting tweaks to the existing rules there.

Grounding of the ball - I assume this takes away the need to have full grip and control when putting the ball down, so long as there's no separation?

18th man rule - I always thought it was crazy that you needed 3 failed HIA's to activate the 18th man. Would pretty much never happen. Two is reasonable.

Intervention of Bunker in foul play - I can't see what's changed here - I thought the offence needing to be "reportable" was already the rule?

Offside at scrums - this is a good change. Teams were deliberately giving away a set restart by intentionally breaking early from the scrum to better defend an attacking scrum move. The risk/reward was worth it. It got to the point where it was happening nearly every scrum, especially close to the try line. Obviously the refs have realised this, hence the change.

Captain's Challenge - may as well call it the "Wests Tiger's amendment".
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Re: No new rules for 2023 season

Post by rolhai »

The other change to the scrums seems quite big. You can't hold the ball in the scrum any more. It has to go in and out

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Some of these are definitely straight up rule changes, not just changes in interpretation

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

My head continues to spin..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Plot twist, qudditch in the Harry Potter series is Rugby League at the end of V'landys tenure

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: January 12, 2023, 9:23 am
greeneyed wrote:Classic case of a coaches rule change that no one else in the game asked for.
Which one, or all of them? Most won't have much of an impact but that gripping the ball change is going to be terrible. A bit like changes to the obstruction rules. Further increasing the grey areas of the game.
I had trapping the ball in the scrum in mind. That’s been a rule since the game started.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

They lost me a few years ago when they removed the corner post from try scoring.

Nothing anymore surprises me.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Rugby League 2023

Post by gangrenous »

Grounding the ball
Hate it. Hate it. As you note Finchy, this looks like returning to just needing a fingernail on the ball and not needing control. I hated it when that was the rule and see no problem with the current interpretation.

HIA
Good

Intervention of Bunker in Foul Play
Agree Finchy - pretty sure this is the existing interpretation. Perhaps just serving as a reminder of the rules after the video ref screwed it in our match.

Captain’s Challenge
Meh

Off-side infringements at scrums
Why stop teams trapping it? It gave them at least a little ability to counter the defence. Don’t like this change.

10m compliance in general play
Teams are never going to get back both feet behind the tryline to defend in the red zone. How are they going to defend play the balls on the line. Don’t think they thought this through.

Cheers for posting Finchy (wrote this all before it got moved from the other thread, looks like GE already shares the same thoughts. Great minds yada yada…)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Does that grounding rule also mean that the tryscorer doesn't have to re-grip the ball, like it has been for a few years?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Who knows?! Since writing unambiguous rules is beyond them.

I’d guess it’s gone (which would be bad imo, I like the onus on the player having control), but we’ll see when the season starts I suppose…
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CBA negotiations between the NRL and RLPA in tatters as players boycott planned media events

The NRL is facing a player revolt that includes a boycott of the game’s official season launch and all promotional activity in the build-up to the premiership kick-off in March.

Cronulla Sharks players kicked off a player-driven campaign on Monday by refusing to take part in a planned photograph and interview session for the NRL’s website.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 4a42ce1fce
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Massive pay increase across the NRL and the players are still complaining and impacting fan engagement and promotion of the game. I’m not with the players on this occasion.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

BJ wrote:Massive pay increase across the NRL and the players are still complaining and impacting fan engagement and promotion of the game. I’m not with the players on this occasion.
Agreed. It’s pretty disgusting especially since how financially difficult things have been for the common fan for the past few years.

Pure greed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Strike threat rocks rugby league as pay dispute explodes

The NRL’s pay dispute has exploded, with Broncos star Kurt Capewell refusing to rule out strike action as the players launched promotional boycotts on the eve of the 2023 premiership season. ARLC chairman Peter V’landys has been urged to enter crisis talks with the NRL’s disgruntled stars, who will boycott all promotional activities until the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) crisis is resolved.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 2f68f41e89

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9986028c61
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Show me the money: Poll reveals fans want NRL player salaries made public

It’s time for the NRL to stop short-changing fans and make player salaries transparent. Tell us what every player on every club’s top-30 roster is being paid, and make it down to the last cent. If it’s good enough for American sports like NBA and NFL, surely it should be good enough for the NRL as well.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e5051b3a3d

The superstar Sydney Roosters roster is now worth more than $13m – at least $1.5m more than the salary cap. The Daily Telegraph analysis of the true value of more than 500 NRL players at the 17 clubs reveals the Roosters are “on paper” worth almost $5m more than newcomers the Dolphins: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... f69799a2fe
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

A good scorer will always beat a good player.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2023 NRL commercial

Feels like every year, the Raiders only feature in action shots because they're tackling the other team.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The NRL is to implement a mandatory concussion stand down of 11 days.

NRL confirms mandatory stand-down period for concussions in landmark decision

The ARL Commission will implement a mandatory stand-down period for concussion which could see players sidelined for 11 days. Players who suffer a category one concussion will be automatically stood down a minimum of 11 days meaning they could miss two matches. The rule comes into place from the start of round three.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 14a9e0991e
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ah, chosen the largest timeframe that guarantees 1 match out without potentially taking out 2.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Not all head knocks result in a concussion.

I hope common sense prevails here.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It'd be Cat 1 after a HIA

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And what’s Cat 1 ?

Serious question Tim.

How many fingers am I holding up ?
Who’s the prime minister ?
What day is it ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: March 15, 2023, 12:28 pm And what’s Cat 1 ?

Serious question Tim.

What day is it ?
A category one concussion has symptoms of loss of consciousness, failing to protect yourself when falling and unsteadiness on your feet. Players with these symptoms are immediately ruled out of matches now. A category two concussion involves a player who has failed a concussion test in the dressing room.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: March 15, 2023, 12:36 pm
-PJ- wrote: March 15, 2023, 12:28 pm And what’s Cat 1 ?

Serious question Tim.

What day is it ?
A category one concussion has symptoms of loss of consciousness, failing to protect yourself when falling and unsteadiness on your feet. Players with these symptoms are immediately ruled out of matches now. A category two concussion involves a player who has failed a concussion test in the dressing room.
I’m all onboard with player welfare. Ricky Stuart has stated he would never send a player back out if he was concussed or showing signs of concussion and righty so.

I read somewhere that clubs would be allowed to ask the NRL for special exemptions to allow a player to return to training/playing before the mandatory 11 day period.

11days is 11days.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARLC approves changes to head injury protocols

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has approved changes to the NRL’s head injury protocols, including the introduction of a mandatory 11-day stand-down following a diagnosed concussion.

The Commission approved the new stand-down procedure following a review of the data and advice from a range of experts.

The new requirement, which applies to concussions diagnosed both at training and during games, will take effect from Thursday 16 March 2023 being the commencement of Round 3.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said: “There is no greater priority for us than player safety. It’s front and centre of everything we do.

“Our current head injury protocols are exceptionally strong. Following a review of the data and the expert advice we have received, the Commission have enhanced these protocols even further by providing a mandatory 11 day stand down period following a diagnosed concussion.”

In exceptional circumstances, Clubs will have the ability to apply for exemption to the 11-day stand-down period, through a review by an independent neurological expert appointed by the NRL. This application will only be allowable where the following set criteria are met:

Category 1 signs/symptoms are not observed
The player is asymptomatic the day following the concussion
Cognitive testing has returned to normal
The player has suffered fewer than five previous career concussions
The player has no previously diagnosed concussions within the previous three months
The player has no history of a previous concussion with prolonged recovery

The Commission will continue to procure the best scientific information from experts in the field. Further, the Commission will continue to monitor the latest technologies including blood and saliva testing as a tool for diagnosing concussion and continue to implement programs such as tackle technique education and tools to further prevent injuries. Player welfare is and will always be the number one priority.

ARLC media release
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Joey Johns says because of the 11 day category 1 concussion break - we now need 2 weeks between semi final and grand final.

Couldn’t agree more. Would hate to see a playmaker or marquee player missing because of a concussion the week prior.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Too late for that this season
But even still why stop at a GF? Is a prelim not also very important? Semi final... like all these finals games matter and are important too.
Does it suck to have a player miss big games? Absolutely. It really stinks.
but that's sports man, that's why you have squads. Injuries and suspension happen. Just gotta deal with it, a head injury shouldnt be thought of any differently to an ACL... we gonna hold off the GF for 9 months in case a play maker does his ACL in the prelim?

Its an injury, if they can't go, they can't go. That's just nature of sports. Sometimes you're going to get banged hard by an injury or suspension to a key player.
I fully expect they will eventually move to a two week period between the two, and they'll fill in the week in the middle with some all star game or an international week... extending the season and capturing more eyes over a long period of time is what all sports are trying to do... but i dont think we should do it specifically for concussions. To me that's just an injury and you cant schedule around risk of injuries.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I appreciate what you’re saying, where does it end, but an ACL injury isn’t really the same.

There’s no restrictions in place from a rules point of view, regarding a return from ACL. It’s up to interpretation of all parties involved. You’re ready when your medical team and you say you’re ready. Not when the NRL approves of it. With a solid Physio program and some serious mummification of your knee, you can actually play with a blown ACL far sooner than you would if you got proper surgery done. Granted there are a lot of risks involved and ongoing complications etc.

Regarding the concussion ban, it wouldn’t shock me if that 11 day ban, turns to 14 days and then turns to 30. The fabric of the game is under serious threat because they’re so scared about “Mums”, CTE and legal action.

Helmets soon!

Grand final is more important, I’d like fresh players, beyond just a concern about head injuries.

Someone once floated the idea of a “Footy” version of the Easter show. They should do something like that in the build up to the Grand Final. Get all the kids involved, get everyone involved, not just those supporting the 2 teams playing the GF. Run it the weekend before or in the days leading up to the game.

Throw in the All Stars clash, legends of league, “rest of the comp” clash, QLD cup vs NSW cup, touch footy origin game, the 100m sprint etc