Rugby League 2023

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Rugby League 2023

Post by dubby »

Absolutely incredible for Leigh! A year ago they were playing the 1895 Cup, now they've won the Challenge Cup!

Amazing
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How crazy is this? Cronulla and Penrith not up to standard for a finals game. Surely the NRL should be staging a Sharks game at the SFS and the Panthers at WSS or SA.

Sydney Football Stadium and Western Sydney Stadium set to sit unused through finals series

Sydney’s newest stadiums – worth a combined cost of nearly $1.2 billion – could sit unused and unloved throughout the NRL finals. There will be a maximum of just three finals games played in Sydney before the October 1 grand final at Stadium Australia.

Penrith is certain to play two finals matches, the first at Panthers Stadium, their home ground, the second likely to be a preliminary final at Stadium Australia, should they win week one. Cronulla is the other Sydney side that can secure a week one home final by finishing fifth or sixth. The NRL has already stated that Cronulla can play that home final at the capacity-reduced Shark Park. Should they advance to week two, Cronulla’s only possible Sydney opponent would be Penrith away.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 36ae77da38
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

This was from round 1, the first match, Parra v Storm:
Finchy wrote: March 3, 2023, 8:12 am
Lui_Bon wrote: March 3, 2023, 12:52 am
gergreg wrote: March 2, 2023, 11:09 pm
Finchy wrote: March 2, 2023, 11:00 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: March 2, 2023, 10:01 pm Ridicule me all you want, but even before that game I was thinking neither of those teams make the 8. Nothing i saw tonight makes me change my mind.
No ridicule, but that’s a pretty hot take. We’d struggle against either team tonight.

They may not be winning the premiership this year but both will be either top 4 or close enough to it. There is a lot of **** teams in this comp.

Both the Eels and Storm are good enough to win more games than more than half of the other teams in the comp
I don't think it is that 'hot' a take. I don't think either side is that great .... but .... just like a cricket test match it's always good to see how both sides bat before making an assessment. And yes there are a heap of crap sides in the comp.

Does anybody truly believe that Saints, Dolphins, Knights, Tigers, Titans, Warriors are top eight sides. That's a third of the teams you put a line through immediately.
Something I've been thinking about for weeks and months. Many teams are predicted to make the 8, usually to the detriment of better teams (like Canberra? Maybe). But I reckon that on average, and without any research whatsoever, three teams that did it last time fail this time. So even before this game, I considered that Parra have no back row and can't play the way they are used to, and Melbourne have lost two thirds of a starting pack and half a backline, and thought that maybe there's no reason why they should be considered indomitable.

Panthers, Roosters, Souths, Sharks and Cowboys all look all right. I hope we make it. Add in two of the Broncos, Manly and the Dogs and there's your top eight.

Eventually everyone reverts to the mean.
Eventually is the key word. The Storm have been “up” for the best part of more than two decades. I look at their roster and outside of their spine it’s pretty big average for the most part. But they often are.

They have quality in the spine (Papi when he returns, Munster, Hughes, Grant). Almost the best spine in the comp. Throw in the Bellamy factor and they’ll be pushing for top 4 every year. They’d need to lose their entire spine to injury to be a risk of not making it. They’re just too well coached no matter their limitations.

Eels you’d have a better argument, but they still have a gun spine (Gutherson, Brown, Moses, reincarnated Hodgson). That alone will be good enough to beat most teams.

I agree that generally two teams that made the 8 drop out the next year. I just wouldn’t be betting on it being those two.

We’re the most vulnerable. Not sure who else. Might come down to injuries.
I was half right. Mind you, so was Finchy... Then again, my top 8 prediction was a bit karp
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Eels were cruelled by long term injuries to Moses, Lane, RCG, plus long suspensions to Brown, Sivo, RCG. They fell one win short of the 8. I did say “it might come down to injuries”.

In the end 3 teams from last year dropped out (Eels, Cowboys, Rabbitohs) and 3 went in (Broncos, Warriors, Knights).
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Finchy wrote:Eels were cruelled by long term injuries to Moses, Lane, RCG, plus long suspensions to Brown, Sivo, RCG. They fell one win short of the 8. I did say “it might come down to injuries”.

In the end 3 teams from last year dropped out (Eels, Cowboys, Rabbitohs) and 3 went in (Broncos, Warriors, Knights).
they let Mahoney walk and tried to replace him with a busted Hodgo, the rest is what it is

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Only 3 nrl clubs have won the minor premiership in the last 11 years

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: September 3, 2023, 2:55 pm
Finchy wrote:Eels were cruelled by long term injuries to Moses, Lane, RCG, plus long suspensions to Brown, Sivo, RCG. They fell one win short of the 8. I did say “it might come down to injuries”.

they let Mahoney walk and tried to replace him with a busted Hodgo, the rest is what it is

I admit i didnt follow it that closely so genuine question, but did the Eels let him walk?
I thought the dogs offered him a deal they couldnt match and they pivoted to Hodgson as best replacement they could find on the market.

If not, ooof thats a horrendous decision.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:
bonehead wrote: September 3, 2023, 2:55 pm

I admit i didnt follow it that closely so genuine question, but did the Eels let him walk?
I thought the dogs offered him a deal they couldnt match and they pivoted to Hodgson as best replacement they could find on the market.

If not, ooof thats a horrendous decision.
weren't willing to match because they could get hodgson on same $$$

Edrick The Entertainer
Lizard2604
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Luke Bateman

Post by Lizard2604 »

Two prelim teams and grand final team from last year gone before finals is wild
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 3, 2023, 12:21 am This was from round 1, the first match, Parra v Storm:
Finchy wrote: March 3, 2023, 8:12 am
Lui_Bon wrote: March 3, 2023, 12:52 am
gergreg wrote: March 2, 2023, 11:09 pm
Finchy wrote: March 2, 2023, 11:00 pm

No ridicule, but that’s a pretty hot take. We’d struggle against either team tonight.

They may not be winning the premiership this year but both will be either top 4 or close enough to it. There is a lot of **** teams in this comp.

Both the Eels and Storm are good enough to win more games than more than half of the other teams in the comp
I don't think it is that 'hot' a take. I don't think either side is that great .... but .... just like a cricket test match it's always good to see how both sides bat before making an assessment. And yes there are a heap of crap sides in the comp.

Does anybody truly believe that Saints, Dolphins, Knights, Tigers, Titans, Warriors are top eight sides. That's a third of the teams you put a line through immediately.
Something I've been thinking about for weeks and months. Many teams are predicted to make the 8, usually to the detriment of better teams (like Canberra? Maybe). But I reckon that on average, and without any research whatsoever, three teams that did it last time fail this time. So even before this game, I considered that Parra have no back row and can't play the way they are used to, and Melbourne have lost two thirds of a starting pack and half a backline, and thought that maybe there's no reason why they should be considered indomitable.

Panthers, Roosters, Souths, Sharks and Cowboys all look all right. I hope we make it. Add in two of the Broncos, Manly and the Dogs and there's your top eight.

Eventually everyone reverts to the mean.
Eventually is the key word. The Storm have been “up” for the best part of more than two decades. I look at their roster and outside of their spine it’s pretty big average for the most part. But they often are.

They have quality in the spine (Papi when he returns, Munster, Hughes, Grant). Almost the best spine in the comp. Throw in the Bellamy factor and they’ll be pushing for top 4 every year. They’d need to lose their entire spine to injury to be a risk of not making it. They’re just too well coached no matter their limitations.

Eels you’d have a better argument, but they still have a gun spine (Gutherson, Brown, Moses, reincarnated Hodgson). That alone will be good enough to beat most teams.

I agree that generally two teams that made the 8 drop out the next year. I just wouldn’t be betting on it being those two.

We’re the most vulnerable. Not sure who else. Might come down to injuries.
I was half right. Mind you, so was Finchy... Then again, my top 8 prediction was a bit karp
Warriors and Knights shoved it in my face. Good for them. I hope they both do well.

As a general comment. I think the footy has been pretty good this season. The game is looking good compared to a few years ago. The 6again has done really well to stamp out the wrestling.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah they've got the balance right

Originally it was good eliminating the ruck penalties, then they went too far with all offsides being a restart, now the change to outside 40 means sides aren't deliberately giving away restarts to set their line in the opp half

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watching the replay of the Queensland Cup Grand Final. Why is it that defending teams tackle a player who is giving themselves up after an attacking obstruction? Surely, after the obstruction, the penalty then should apply for a voluntary tackle?

The Bears fullback Kini fell to the ground, lay stationary, but the Tigers eventually put their hand on him. Don’t touch him, what happens? Surely a voluntary tackle, which is illegal.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Just watching the replay of the Queensland Cup Grand Final. Why is it that defending teams tackle a player who is giving themselves up after an attacking obstruction? Surely, after the obstruction, the penalty then should apply for a voluntary tackle?

The Bears fullback Kini fell to the ground, lay stationary, but the Tigers eventually put their hand on him. Don’t touch him, what happens? Surely a voluntary tackle, which is illegal.
Mate, they haven’t called it that way since about the 1950s
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: September 18, 2023, 7:57 pm
greeneyed wrote:Just watching the replay of the Queensland Cup Grand Final. Why is it that defending teams tackle a player who is giving themselves up after an attacking obstruction? Surely, after the obstruction, the penalty then should apply for a voluntary tackle?

They should. And it was certainly a lot later than the 1950s.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fred Fitler resigns as blues coach
Thank ****

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sid wrote:Fred Fitler resigns as blues coach
Thank ****

A collective groan across Queensland
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 28, 2023, 6:30 pm
Thank ****

Nickman will be devastated!

Until Ricky is appointed...
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Before Ricky installs pride back in the Blues jersey could he put some back in the green one first.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Thank ****

“Resigns” seems a touch euphemistic
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They offered him one year, he wanted two, they insisted he get new assistants and then they told him his $450,000 a year deal would be cut big time. He finally got the message that they didn't actually want him!

Hilarious that NSW has been paying Brad Fittler $450,000 to coach three Origin games a year!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:They offered him one year, he wanted two, they insisted he get new assistants and then they told him his $450,000 a year deal would be cut big time. He finally got the message that they didn't actually want him!

Hilarious that NSW has been paying Brad Fittler $450,000 to coach three Origin games a year!
It's criminal
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:They offered him one year, he wanted two, they insisted he get new assistants and then they told him his $450,000 a year deal would be cut big time. He finally got the message that they didn't actually want him!

Coach is a stretch

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: September 18, 2023, 8:35 pm
The Nickman wrote: September 18, 2023, 7:57 pm

They should. And it was certainly a lot later than the 1950s.
Thanks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: September 28, 2023, 6:32 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: September 28, 2023, 6:30 pm
Thank ****

Nickman will be devastated!

Until Ricky is appointed...
I'm not happy about it, that's for sure.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: September 28, 2023, 7:05 pm They offered him one year, he wanted two, they insisted he get new assistants and then they told him his $450,000 a year deal would be cut big time. He finally got the message that they didn't actually want him!

Billy Slater has just signed on for 3 more years coaching the Qld SOO side. I wonder what he is on?

Slater has started with 2 series wins in his Origin coaching career - just like Fittler did.

No mention as yet on a likely replacement for Fittler in coaching NSW. My preference would be Ivan Cleary as the most successful coach of the modern era. A lot will depend on the Panthers agreeing to him being unavailable for some time mid-season. To bring the Panthers defensive system and 80 minute non stop playing style to the selection table would be a positive for NSW imo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If they were playing Slater $450,000, that I could understand!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: September 29, 2023, 7:39 am If they were playing Slater $450,000, that I could understand!
Because he's had the same start to his Origin coaching career as Fittler? 2 series wins.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Very exciting finish to Catalans v St Helens. Les Catalans through to the Grand Final.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Nathan Merritt is on life support at RPA Hospital after being found unresponsive: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7627466eb9
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Reaction to painkillers, not good

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hull KR v Wigan semi final about to kick off on Fox League.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:Reaction to painkillers, not good

I wish him all the best but I'm genuinely curious how a Professional athlete could be allergic to painkillers and not discover until 10 years into retirement? I hope he makes a full recovery.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Incredible start for Wigan. 18-0 lead after 13 minutes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gerg wrote: October 7, 2023, 9:49 pm
-TW- wrote:Reaction to painkillers, not good

I wish him all the best but I'm genuinely curious how a Professional athlete could be allergic to painkillers and not discover until 10 years into retirement? I hope he makes a full recovery.
It depends on the pain killer. Some have horrible side effects for some people and you might not be exposed to them until quite late in life.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wigan go through to the Grand Final with a big 42-12 win over Hull KR.