Rugby League 2023

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Rugby League 2023

Post by Botman »

Its no difference at all when you really think about... the only difference is how the injury is diagnosed

if you do an ACL or break a leg, doesnt matter how OK the player thinks he is, the doctor isnt going to clear him to return to the field. He's done. Out. Cooked. Game over.
No different whatsoever with head injuries... IMO we have to treat it like that, a regretable but unfortunately unavoidable part of the game like any other injury... and like any other injury it will have it's own recovery time based on medical sceince.

If that means someone misses as GF, so be it... Concussion, broken leg, ACL, eye socket fracture... if you can't go, you can't go. That's just the nature of sport.

If they want to extend the season and put some event in between week 3 and 4 of the post season to extend the season, keep the league in the nations mind for another week, build the hype, cool, i can get behind that. Like i said, all leagues are trying to do that, and with the NRL likely to move very quickly to an 18th team, we're going to see a natural extension of the season anyways, it would make sense to build it with that

But i dont think we should change scheduling around concussion protocols at all. Primarily because you're 100% right, this 11 day thing isnt going to last long. Before long it will be 14 days, then 21, then 30... so do you keep just pushing the GF out to make sure no one ever misses a game for concussion? Or do accept off the bat that sometimes someone is going to miss the GF due to a head injury and that's just how it's going to be.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I agree with pretty much all of what pig said except there is an obvious difference, the player with a head injury is capable of taking the field and playing at high performance while a player with a broken leg is not.

That’s not to say that they should. But it’s an important difference between the two scenarios.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Rugby League 2023

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

yeh raiders wrote:Someone once floated the idea of a “Footy” version of the Easter show. They should do something like that in the build up to the Grand Final. Get all the kids involved, get everyone involved, not just those supporting the 2 teams playing the GF. Run it the weekend before or in the days leading up to the game.

Throw in the All Stars clash, legends of league, “rest of the comp” clash, QLD cup vs NSW cup, touch footy origin game, the 100m sprint etc
Yeah I’ve been championing an All-Star weekend in the GF build up for years. Do things like a conversion kicking challenge, sprint races, All Star clash, Props Pentathlon, Rookie Origin, the works.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 19, 2023, 11:24 am
yeh raiders wrote:Someone once floated the idea of a “Footy” version of the Easter show. They should do something like that in the build up to the Grand Final. Get all the kids involved, get everyone involved, not just those supporting the 2 teams playing the GF. Run it the weekend before or in the days leading up to the game.

Throw in the All Stars clash, legends of league, “rest of the comp” clash, QLD cup vs NSW cup, touch footy origin game, the 100m sprint etc
Yeah I’ve been championing an All-Star weekend in the GF build up for years. Do things like a conversion kicking challenge, sprint races, All Star clash, Props Pentathlon, Rookie Origin, the works.
I can't imagine anything worse, to be honest.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

John Sattler has passed away aged 80.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: March 20, 2023, 4:03 pm John Sattler has passed away aged 80.
One of the best front rowers South's have ever had. Never the biggest in stature but full of grit and never beaten. A gentleman from all reports too. RIP John Sattler
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Some of the NRL clubs opening form.

Broncos WWWW
Dolphins WWWL
Bulldogs LWWL
Storm WLLW
Tigers LMAO
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:Some of the NRL clubs opening form.

Broncos WWWW
Dolphins WWWL
Bulldogs LWWL
Storm WLLW
Tigers LMAO
Hahahahaha
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Coaching issues

Post by Finchy »

'Selfish' coach drives assistant out

A former NRL star who has done the rounds as an assistant coach in recent years has decided to quietly walk away from the game after nearly 20 years in the NRL.

When I asked why he was quitting his club, he replied: "Because the head coach is a selfish **** who doesn't care about anyone but himself."

Hard to argue with his decision in that case!

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-n ... 6d36dcbe67
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Coaching issues

Post by -TW- »

Would bet that's someone from Newcastle

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

I thought he used a much harsher word than was in the article.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

2024 season kicking off in Vegas. Broncos to be one of the teams.

Las Vegas dream now a reality

The NRL is going to Las Vegas in one of the most significant events in rugby league’s 115-year history. The 2024 NRL season will kick-off in America, with the Brisbane Broncos set to spearhead rugby league’s bold $200 million plan to win over the hearts and minds of US sports fans.

The ARL Commission will ratify a five-year contract with American delegates for NRL premiership matches to be staged in the US until the end of 2028 – starting with a double header next year in Vegas.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a42719ce9a
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

NRL players to boycott media commitments amid pay dispute.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:NRL players to boycott media commitments amid pay dispute.
Geez Daily Telegraph and Courier Mail are going to miss the zero Raiders players interview’s they do each week.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-PJ- wrote:NRL players to boycott media commitments amid pay dispute.
But who’s going to give full credit to boys, and assure us they’re going to be taking things one game at a time?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I don't even know who's wrong about what anymore

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The players are asking for too much control over all these funds by the sounds of it. Plus resisting changes to the contracting system, which is in dire need of reform. The players have been given a huge salary increase, even the lowest paid are on a very good deal compared to most in the community. They’ve lost the plot. They should have said “thank you very much” some time ago.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Imagine my surprise that a collection of rugby league players, headed up by an ex-forward, are not that clever.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

Andrew Abdo certainly presents as the more rational of the two interviews / press conferences yesterday. Painted a strong message that they are willing to support the hardship and retirement funds with significant cash but want joint governance, they want greater support of the international game - particularly the Pacific nations - which ironically represents about half the NRL players, and even admitted that they have walked away from implementing a desperately needed overhaul of the transfer system as the players were reluctant. All of that in light of record increases to salary cap and minimum salaries for players.

There are some fights you need to take on, but the players have picked the wrong one here. Imagine having an organisation offer up close to $20M to set up the funds you seek but put a condition on that provision of a shared (and mutually agreed) governance framework. Guess what players, welcome to commercial reality that is how business works - you don't get handed large wads of cash without influence from those providing it.

The players have picked the wrong issues here and will lose the PR battle. Fox and Nine are not going to give them the time of day noting the impact on their own very expensive sponsorship and coverage rights deals and the general public will have little sympathy for players whingeing about a model where the lowest paid player in an NRL roster will be pulling $150K per season with the average salary of each roster being $366K in the current economic climate.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And now the jerseys will have the NRL logo covered by tape.

Can someone send Clint Newton for a brain scan ?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Bro has been watching too much Ted Lasso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:And now the jerseys will have the NRL logo covered by tape.

Can someone send Clint Newton for a brain scan ?
Really? Not sure how the players association can actually do that? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is the height of silliness. They have been given a 37 per cent pay increase, and as far as I can see, the players have given nothing in the negotiation that would improve the way the game operates (like transfer windows). It is all one way and selfish. What is being given back to the game?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

There’s 510 contracted NRL players.

I wonder how many of them know what their protesting against.

They are being represented by a few..DCE and friends I believe.

I don’t know who else are delegates.

But just on the covering of the NRL logo. Below the NRL logo the words” Telstra Premiership” is stitched.
If that is covered up with tape the players have an issue through no fault of their own. Telstra pump massive $$$ into this sport and they would not be happy. The players are already in breach of contract I’m hearing just with the media blackout..

This is way ugly now and never had to be. An average wage of $350k while a lot of us are working 40+hrs per week to make ends meet.

Mr Newton..you are a booob.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

They're certainly not winning the hearts and minds of the general public. They're coming across as a bunch of greedy pricks.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

‘Coming to an end’: Powerbrokers ‘confident’ NRL’s civil war close to resolution after ‘positive’ talks

The NRL’s civil war between the ARL Commission and the Rugby League Players Association could end in time for the beginning of Round 24, after ‘positive and constructive’ talks on Wednesday.

After a lengthy feud between the parties which has spanned for over a year, it’s looking as if the RLPA and ARL are seeing eye-to-eye on a Collective Bargaining Agreement, which by all reports, could be signed by the start of Round 24. Speaking after Wednesday’s marathon meeting between the two sides, ARL chairman Peter V’landys labelled the progress made as “very positive.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f1e217e32d
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

New deal has been agreed in principle. Needs ratification
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Surprised Fox League gave us nothing of the build up. Crossed about two minutes before kick off.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Great penalty kick from Schneider from 40 metres out right on half time. He has been going OK. The try Lam set up and scored was terrific.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schneider has just put up the kick that delivered what could be the match levelling try... it is awarded... and now he's kicked the goal to force golden point! 16-16. What a finish. Leigh has looked like the most dangerous with the ball in hand, but Hull KR just wouldn't give up.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hull KR get a penalty for a strip on an early tackle. They didn't find touch! Schneider didn't find touch from the penalty. No...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now Leigh misses the field goal. Not even close.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now Schneider misses. Terrible set from the Hull KR forwards and he was over 40 metres out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lam kicks the field goal to win it. Poor Brad looking broken. The Leigh owner is completely nuts.