Redcliffe Dolphins 2023

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Redcliffe Dolphins 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Tesi Niu to sign with Dolphins after imminent Broncos release

The Dolphins are on the verge of snaring Broncos flyer Tesi Niu. Niu is expected to be formally released by the Broncos in the coming week to ink a multi-year contract with expansion rivals the Dolphins. Niu, 21, is contracted to Brisbane for the 2023 NRL season but was given permission by the Broncos to negotiate with rival clubs.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... f6adc1c2c5
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Redcliffe Dolphins 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Tesi Niu's departure from Brisbane Broncos confirmed as Redcliffe Dolphins set to pounce

The Dolphins have snapped another player from their local rivals, with Tesi Niu set to join the club after being granted a release by the Broncos. Rumours of Niu's departure from Red Hill had been floating around for a while, and although Wayne Bennett's team are yet to confirm the signing, the Broncos have announced the departure on their club website.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-news-2 ... 082d64308c

Brisbane Broncos club statement

The Brisbane Broncos can confirm Tesi Niu will depart the club.

Niu scored 11 tries in 32 games for the Broncos, having made his debut for the club in Round 4, 2020 against the Roosters.

Broncos Coach Kevin Walters said, “Tesi has been in the Broncos system for a number of years and is highly regarded across the club.

“But we believe he will receive more opportunities elsewhere and it’s an indication of our respect for Tesi that we have allowed him to depart.

“We wish Tesi all the best in the next part of his journey.”
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tesi Niu kid on the block for Redcliffe Dolphins NRL debut

The Dolphins have added depth and strike to their backline after securing the services of Tongan international Tesi Niu for 2023.

Niu will begin training with the Dolphins almost immediately with the NRL newcomers just two months away from making their historic NRL debut against the Roosters on Sunday March 5 at Lang Park.

Dolphins’ chief executive Terry Reader said Niu would be a valuable addition to the Dolphins’ roster.

“We obviously know Tesi very well as he is a Brisbane-born player we have watched come through the grades and become an NRL regular and an international,” said Reader.

“We now have a strong list of outside backs with players such as Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Euan Aitken, Brenko Lee, Edrick Lee, Jamayne Isaako, Oliver Gildart and Robert Jennings all part of the Dolphins’ foundation squad.

“This group will compete for spots in that first Dolphins’ team to play the Roosters - and with the trials only four weeks away, that competition will start very soon.

“We have always said that January would be a busy month for recruitment and bringing Tesi into our squad is a great acquisition.”

Read more: https://www.dolphinsnrl.com.au/news/202 ... nrl-debut/

The Redcliffe Dolphins have bolstered their backline depth with the signing of Broncos fullback Tesi Niu on a one-year deal after his release from his Brisbane contract: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f157919d2b
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Look at Milf’s latest photo on IG, I have reservations he’ll play much first grade this year.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

President Clinton wrote: January 5, 2023, 6:54 pm Look at Milf’s latest photo on IG, I have reservations he’ll play much first grade this year.
Has he been into the pies again?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The subject title should read The Dolphins 2023, since the ”Redcliffe” name is not being used.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL 2023 club deep dive: Redcliffe Dolphins free agency wrap, top eight chances, crystal ball

The NRL’s newest team have been tipped to struggle when they debut in 2023, but rugby league’s greatest coach has some tricks up his sleeve.

BEST 17:

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Jamayne Isaako
3. Tesi Niu
4. Robert Jennings
5. Edrick Lee
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O’Sullivan
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Mark Nicholls
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Tom Gilbert

14. Ray Stone
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. Herman Ese’ese
17. Euan Aitken

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 94791043ab
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I reckon they'll go better than expected. A little luck with injuries they'll be on the cusp of the 8.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:I reckon they'll go better than expected. A little luck with injuries they'll be on the cusp of the 8.
worst spine by a long way

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bennett may be passed his best but you can't coach in the NRL/ARL successfully for 40 years and be a dud. Bennett knows to play to his strengths. A decent, no frills team with an aging but very experienced forward pack. A spine of Hammer, Sullivan and Marshall-King isn't too bad. Milford is past it but I guess serviceable. My point was that many people are picking them for the spoon but I think they'll be closer to 8th than 17th - depending on injuries.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

How many of their team would you sign to play for us? I can only see 2-3.

Pretty trash roster, but I agree Bennett will absolutely squeeze that lemon dry and get the best out of what he’s got.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s a wooden spoon squad for mine. Looks almost like a NSW Cup team.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Finchy wrote:How many of their team would you sign to play for us? I can only see 2-3.

Pretty trash roster, but I agree Bennett will absolutely squeeze that lemon dry and get the best out of what he’s got.
Go through the signing speculation thread and there will be names on that roster that some posters wanted here. For me personally, I think Nui and Hammer are both promising and have that x-factor - Hammer with that speed we desperately needed last season, and only really experienced once Savage found his groove. I think Marshall-King would be an upgrade for us. A few of their forwards would fight it out for a starting spot at our club - remembering Stuart's preference of experienced/rep players over young guys.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

gergreg wrote: January 6, 2023, 7:48 pm
Finchy wrote:How many of their team would you sign to play for us? I can only see 2-3.

Go through the signing speculation thread and there will be names on that roster that some posters wanted here. For me personally, I think Nui and Hammer are both promising and have that x-factor - Hammer with that speed we desperately needed last season, and only really experienced once Savage found his groove. I think Marshall-King would be an upgrade for us. A few of their forwards would fight it out for a starting spot at our club - remembering Stuart's preference of experienced/rep players over young guys.
Yeah, Hammer and Niu are 2 of them. Maybe K Bromwich too. Slim pickings outside that. Some ok footy players, but not necessarily better than what we've already got.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Finchy wrote:
gergreg wrote: January 6, 2023, 7:48 pm

Yeah, Hammer and Niu are 2 of them. Maybe K Bromwich too. Slim pickings outside that. Some ok footy players, but not necessarily better than what we've already got.
Agreed. Gilbert's not bad. And if Fogarty wasn't here I'd take Sullivan over Frawls and Sammy. Wallace isn't a bad bench prop and the Bromwich's have been solid for near on a decade.

I still think they win enough games to avoid the spoon. I think they'll lift for those QLD derbies, particularly against the Storm*. Yes those QLD idiots think they're a QLD team.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Dolphins 2023

Post by dubby »

I don't think will finish last, but depth appears to be a problem for them.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Redcliffe Dolphins 2023

Post by RTW »

Weak squad that will avoid the spoon on the Bennett factor.

Overall I would give them at least 5 skins matching up against our team.

Hammer over Savage. He is further along in his career, played Origin been dropped and come back from it. Both players rely heavily on speed.

O’Sullivan tie with Fogarty. I am hoping for a big year from Fogarty so I hope I am wrong on this one. O’Sullivan has a superior kicking game

Jesse Bromwich kiwi international wouldn’t get the skin against Paps and Tapine but deserves an honourable mention as he would start in most teams (even if he is on the slide)

Either Edge back rower would start in our team.

Gilbert is a great young player who is only going to be better after playing Origin.

Jeremy Marshall-King is an underrated hooker, whilst he isn’t elite I like how he brings players onto the ball. I would take him over Woodford.

I would also take kodi Nikorima as a 14 over Starling. I think he offers more in attack. Which is what you need out of a 14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

They’ll win some games for sure.

But eventually I see the tank on “E”

No depth, injuries will cruel them.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I've got Marshall King as an overrated hooker, never seen him play at an nrl level.
Hammer is fast but that's all, sus under high ball, doesn't ball play, doesn't tackle.
O Sullivan is a rookie who was only solid at Penrith.
Milford I think we saw enough last year.

Edrick The Entertainer
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Looking forward to seeing how Cobbo’s comments on Walters coaching is going to play out in the media.

Walters has been pretty protected so far in the QLD media. Hard to see how they will put a positive spin on it.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Team Talk: Dolphins 2023 overview, best 17, squad update

New kids on the block the Dolphins will start their 2023 season with a bang, hosting the Sydney Roosters in what is set to be a huge clash.

Predicted Round 1 team

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Jamayne Isaako
3. Tesi Niu
4. Oliver Gildart
5. Edrick Lee
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O’Sullivan
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Thomas Gilbert
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Ray Stone

14. Kodi Nikorima
15. Euan Aiken
16. Mark Nicholls
17. Jarrod Wallace

Other: Brenko Lee, Herman Ese’ese, Isaiya Katoa, Valynce Te Whare, JJ Collins, Mason Teague, Poasa Faamausili, Robert Jennings, Connelly Lemuelu, Harrison Graham (development), Michael Roberts (development), Jeremiah Simbiken (development), Jack Bostock (development)

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/12/16/tea ... ad-update/
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Looking forward to seeing if Valynce Te Whare can transfer his Q cup form to the NRL. He is very raw and I have concerns defensively especially if the Dolphins are struggling but jeez he is powerful!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wayne Bennett selects Jesse Bromwich as Redcliffe Dolphins’ foundation captain

Wayne Bennett has appointed Jesse Bromwich as inaugural Dolphins skipper and combined a leadership group stacked with Test, Origin and NRL grand final experience.

South Sydney recruit Mark Nicholls will join former Melbourne Storm stars Felise Kaufusi and Kenny Bromwich in the Dolphins’ senior leadership group.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c0dc223136
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Bennet clearly got that group of forwards in to set the standards and culture of the club going forward. You may not get the best years out of them on the park but hopefully they can teach the younger generation coming through with the Dolphins.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Every player in that backline couldn't lock down a permanent 1st grade spot at their previous club. Other than O'Sullivan they all came from clubs that missed the finals.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So in short NR..

They stink.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:Every player in that backline couldn't lock down a permanent 1st grade spot at their previous club. Other than O'Sullivan they all came from clubs that missed the finals.
Hammer/cowboys also made the finals.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: January 12, 2023, 3:11 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Every player in that backline couldn't lock down a permanent 1st grade spot at their previous club. Other than O'Sullivan they all came from clubs that missed the finals.
Hammer/cowboys also made the finals.
Oops, missed that one. General point still stands.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Good signing.

I talked them up before a ball was kicked this year but geez the way they played in that second trial was concerning. Looked like they'd just met in the carpark before the game. No cohesion whatsoever.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:Good signing.

I talked them up before a ball was kicked this year but geez the way they played in that second trial was concerning. Looked like they'd just met in the carpark before the game. No cohesion whatsoever.
they're spoon bound, I've been saying that for a while.
reserve grade spine, aging forwards

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: February 25, 2023, 6:19 am

Their entire backline is full of players who couldn't crack the starting side in their previous team.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
bonehead wrote: February 25, 2023, 6:19 am

Their entire backline is full of players who couldn't crack the starting side in their previous team.
yeah it's a dud side, Katoa looks good

Edrick The Entertainer