Wests Tigers 2023

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Wests Tigers 2023

Post by yeh raiders »

I never understand a club who moves their coach on because they’re not performing, but then brings them back or retains them as “head of football” or “GM of football”.

Unless the coach has totally transformed themself and is creating success elsewhere, it just doesn’t make sense.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Benji needs to be calling Elford asap

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

So um the Sheens - Benji transition plan worked out exactly how everyone thought it would then?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

yeh raiders wrote:I never understand a club who moves their coach on because they’re not performing, but then brings them back or retains them as “head of football” or “GM of football”.

Unless the coach has totally transformed themself and is creating success elsewhere, it just doesn’t make sense.
Presumably because they still have to pay him a stack of cash either way, and it looks a lot worse for the board in the papers if they’re paying him to sit at home and do crosswords.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

gangrenous wrote: August 16, 2023, 8:17 pm
yeh raiders wrote:I never understand a club who moves their coach on because they’re not performing, but then brings them back or retains them as “head of football” or “GM of football”.

Presumably because they still have to pay him a stack of cash either way, and it looks a lot worse for the board in the papers if they’re paying him to sit at home and do crosswords.
Nah I’m taking about moving Sheens on after the 2012 season and then bringing him back as Head of Football Operations in 2021.

Made very little sense.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:So um the Sheens - Benji transition plan worked out exactly how everyone thought it would then?
*chefs kiss*
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Entire Wests Tigers board dismissed in bombshell shake-up

The entire Wests Tigers board has been sacked in a stunning move following a bombshell internal review. Chairman Lee Hagipantelis and chief executive Justin Pascoe have both departed, with the latter reportedly offering his resignation on Tuesday.

Former NSW premier Barry O’Farrell will become the interim chairman and ex-Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson will replace Pascoe.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e0f14f973c
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

What else tigers?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Word on the street is that Baz O’Faz celebrated with a nice bottle of Penfolds.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Luai 1.2 million a year for 5 years.

Will be one of the worst signings of all time.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Yeah I don’t think this will end well for the Tigers.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Best on the market really other than maybe Dearden. Hard to see them not improving, their spine is looking decent with some depth.

Would be nice if it helped land the Raiders Tupou.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The club are in a position where they have to pay overs. I don’t mind it, their spine could be:

1. Bula
6. Luai
7. Sezer
9. Api
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Penrith star Jarome Luai is set to sign a five-year deal to play for the Wests Tigers from 2025.

According to NRL reporter Michael Chammas, the deal is worth more than $6 million.

The Panthers had offered Luai a two-year, $1.7 million deal to remain at the club in 2025 and 2026 but opted to test his value on the open market.

Luai 107-game veteran for the Panthers, is a three-time premiership winner with the club, having played all his senior and junior football for Penrith.

Read More: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2023- ... ccf435ad3e
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

yeh raiders wrote: December 16, 2023, 9:19 am The club are in a position where they have to pay overs. I don’t mind it, their spine could be:

1. Bula
6. Luai
7. Sezer
9. Api
Plus Fainu coming through. Looks pretty solid.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Pretty decent spine.

Although Api is getting older and Luai has not run his own side before.

You'd think they'd learn after signing Reynolds on huge money
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL bombshell as Luai signs massive five-year Tigers deal... but has ten days to backflip

The Jarome Luai sweepstakes are finally over with the SMH reporting the Panthers playmaker has signed a five-year deal with the Wests Tigers worth more than $6 million from the 2025 season in a huge coup for new coach Benji Marshall. The Panthers had reportedly offered Luai a two-year extension up to the end of the 2026 season worth $850,000 a year.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3955238b82
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

NoMan wrote: December 16, 2023, 9:34 am
yeh raiders wrote: December 16, 2023, 9:19 am The club are in a position where they have to pay overs. I don’t mind it, their spine could be:

1. Bula
6. Luai
7. Sezer
9. Api
Plus Fainu coming through. Looks pretty solid.
Yeah but it's still the Tigers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:Pretty decent spine.

Yes, bad signing. Maybe it's indicative of a bigger issue in the NRL with clubs being forced to spend 95% of their cap. It's been a big struggle for the Tigers, Bulldogs and Saints to move away from the bottom of the ladder for quite a few years now. Sure there's been some incompetence at those clubs in that time but it's hard to recruit marquee players if you're not in contention.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's a lot of money.
Laui is a really good player and it's going to be very interesting to see how he goes as a #1 play maker. There will be a lot of dudes sweating on his downfall. Good chance they'll get it with that club being the utter **** show that it is. I think if they put the right sort of players around him they can have success (relative to the tigers that is, i doubt premierships are coming with this move)
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

They have a choice really - pay overs or don’t recruit world class players. It’s that simple really. The club are in a dire position and have to offset that by opening the wallet, in a big way.

I can’t fault them for having a crack here. Luai has the last 3 premierships under his belt.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

gerg wrote: December 16, 2023, 12:12 pm

Yes, bad signing. Maybe it's indicative of a bigger issue in the NRL with clubs being forced to spend 95% of their cap. It's been a big struggle for the Tigers, Bulldogs and Saints to move away from the bottom of the ladder for quite a few years now. Sure there's been some incompetence at those clubs in that time but it's hard to recruit marquee players if you're not in contention.

A 5/8 coming off at least 3 grand final wins, what a terrible signing 🙄
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Riaan wrote:

A 5/8 coming off at least 3 grand final wins, what a terrible signing Image
Quick. Let's sign Scott Sorensen.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Luai won’t make a difference at Tigers.

They are long term stink..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Riaan wrote:

Sorry. Just to be crystal clear - my bad signing comment refers to the Reynolds signing. I think Luai is an excellent player.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

dubby wrote: December 17, 2023, 12:15 pm
Riaan wrote:

:roflmao He actually would be a half decent signing. so I’m unsure of you’re point???

But here’s mine. Try to separate the fact that you don’t like the guy from the fact that he’s a top class half in a competition with very few, very good signing from the Tigers.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Riaan wrote:
dubby wrote: December 17, 2023, 12:15 pm
Riaan wrote:

:roflmao He actually would be a half decent signing. so I’m unsure of you’re point???

But here’s mine. Try to separate the fact that you don’t like the guy from the fact that he’s a top class half in a competition with very few, very good signing from the Tigers.
If he was a Raider, Dragon or Tiger already we would not be having this conversation