Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5988
Joined: March 30, 2008, 9:59 pm
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:55 pm Except Dane Gagai apparently
We’re they after him? Weird if true, he’s a bit irrelevant these days. Father Time getting him
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18838
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana
Location: Brisbane

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by reptar »

Botman wrote:Except Dane Gagai apparently
Which was a weird one.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18838
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana
Location: Brisbane

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by reptar »

Finchy wrote:
Botman wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:55 pm Except Dane Gagai apparently
We’re they after him? Weird if true, he’s a bit irrelevant these days. Father Time getting him
Yes. I think he’s still got a bit to offer, but yeah, not sure I’d be chasing him as a replacement for Manu.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43135
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:57 pm
Botman wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:55 pm Except Dane Gagai apparently
We’re they after him? Weird if true, he’s a bit irrelevant these days. Father Time getting him
Apparently they were
And were pretty close to getting him too if you believe Barry Toohey, who I think is as plugged into a club (knights) as any journo

Must admit I was a bit confused by it too. Didn’t strike me as a roosters sort of signing
User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18838
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana
Location: Brisbane

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by reptar »

Botman wrote:
Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:57 pm
Botman wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:55 pm Except Dane Gagai apparently
We’re they after him? Weird if true, he’s a bit irrelevant these days. Father Time getting him
Apparently they were
And were pretty close to getting him too if you believe Barry Toohey, who I think is as plugged into a club (knights) as any journo

Must admit I was a bit confused by it too. Didn’t strike me as a roosters sort of signing
Neither did a 5000 year old Jennings coming off a PED ban, yet here we are.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 145523
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:52 pm I feel sorry for Penrith. After losing so many stars it was about time they were able to buy one.

I hate the Roosters. Of course they get him. They can recruit literally anyone they want.
I feel sorry for the Titans, certainly not the Panthers. Never the Panthers. Of course I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Titans if we’d recruited Fifita.

The thing that really gets on my goat is that you have star players going from struggling clubs who go to top teams, for what is supposedly “less”. And the NRL sits back and, ‘oh, that’s OK, nothing to see here’.
Image
President Clinton
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1169
Joined: November 25, 2021, 11:30 am
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by President Clinton »

greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:13 pm
Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:52 pm I feel sorry for Penrith. After losing so many stars it was about time they were able to buy one.

I hate the Roosters. Of course they get him. They can recruit literally anyone they want.
I feel sorry for the Titans, certainly not the Panthers. Never the Panthers. Of course I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Titans if we’d recruited Fifita.

The thing that really gets on my goat is that you have star players going from struggling clubs who go to top teams, for what is supposedly “less”. And the NRL sits back and, ‘oh, that’s OK, nothing to see here’.
Bondi>Penrith for a 10-15% pay cut? What is so hard to understand?
User avatar
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5988
Joined: March 30, 2008, 9:59 pm
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:13 pm
Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:52 pm I feel sorry for Penrith. After losing so many stars it was about time they were able to buy one.

I hate the Roosters. Of course they get him. They can recruit literally anyone they want.
I feel sorry for the Titans, certainly not the Panthers. Never the Panthers. Of course I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Titans if we’d recruited Fifita.

The thing that really gets on my goat is that you have star players going from struggling clubs who go to top teams, for what is supposedly “less”. And the NRL sits back and, ‘oh, that’s OK, nothing to see here’.
I know I’m a Debbie Downer, but it really is depressing being a Raiders fan knowing we can never compete with the likes of the glamour clubs for various reasons (location, TPAs, etc).

Makes you wonder if we’ll realistically ever win another premiership. 2019 really was our chance and we got screwed.

Our only hope is to hope we can develop some elite talent in a great system, Penrith style. We can’t buy our way out of it.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1290
Joined: July 18, 2020, 1:59 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Colk »

Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:17 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:13 pm
Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:52 pm I feel sorry for Penrith. After losing so many stars it was about time they were able to buy one.

I hate the Roosters. Of course they get him. They can recruit literally anyone they want.
I feel sorry for the Titans, certainly not the Panthers. Never the Panthers. Of course I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Titans if we’d recruited Fifita.

The thing that really gets on my goat is that you have star players going from struggling clubs who go to top teams, for what is supposedly “less”. And the NRL sits back and, ‘oh, that’s OK, nothing to see here’.
I know I’m a Debbie Downer, but it really is depressing being a Raiders fan knowing we can never compete with the likes of the glamour clubs for various reasons (location, TPAs, etc).

Makes you wonder if we’ll realistically ever win another premiership. 2019 really was our chance and we got screwed.

Our only hope is to hope we can develop some elite talent in a great system, Penrith style. We can’t buy our way out of it.

Yeah. That is why the game is becoming less and less interesting every year.

If the NRL wants certain teams every year to win, that’s fine; however, don’t suffer the pretence that they want or give a **** about an even competition. Just become like the EPL
Colk
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1290
Joined: July 18, 2020, 1:59 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:13 pm
Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:52 pm I feel sorry for Penrith. After losing so many stars it was about time they were able to buy one.

I hate the Roosters. Of course they get him. They can recruit literally anyone they want.
I feel sorry for the Titans, certainly not the Panthers. Never the Panthers. Of course I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Titans if we’d recruited Fifita.

The thing that really gets on my goat is that you have star players going from struggling clubs who go to top teams, for what is supposedly “less”. And the NRL sits back and, ‘oh, that’s OK, nothing to see here’.
Yeah but that would mean the ARLC actually gave a ****. The salary cap doesn’t work and has never worked. A well run competition requires a draft or something in addition to a salary cap if you want an even competition. Without it and without the actual ability to police it you don’t get an even competition. Pretty simple
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43135
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Botman »

reptar wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:05 pm
Botman wrote:
Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:57 pm
Botman wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:55 pm Except Dane Gagai apparently
We’re they after him? Weird if true, he’s a bit irrelevant these days. Father Time getting him
Apparently they were
And were pretty close to getting him too if you believe Barry Toohey, who I think is as plugged into a club (knights) as any journo

Must admit I was a bit confused by it too. Didn’t strike me as a roosters sort of signing
Neither did a 5000 year old Jennings coming off a PED ban, yet here we are.
In February 2020, Kirra Wilden sued her former husband Jennings, alleging she was raped by Jennings multiple times during their relationship in 2014 and 2015.

In December 2021, The New South Wales District Court awarded his ex-wife $500,000 in damages after Wilden successfully sued Jennings over these incidents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_J ... by_league)

So yeah! Point taken
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43135
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Botman »

Colk wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:27 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:13 pm
Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:52 pm I feel sorry for Penrith. After losing so many stars it was about time they were able to buy one.

I hate the Roosters. Of course they get him. They can recruit literally anyone they want.
I feel sorry for the Titans, certainly not the Panthers. Never the Panthers. Of course I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Titans if we’d recruited Fifita.

The thing that really gets on my goat is that you have star players going from struggling clubs who go to top teams, for what is supposedly “less”. And the NRL sits back and, ‘oh, that’s OK, nothing to see here’.
Yeah but that would mean the ARLC actually gave a ****. The salary cap doesn’t work and has never worked. A well run competition requires a draft or something in addition to a salary cap if you want an even competition. Without it and without the actual ability to police it you don’t get an even competition. Pretty simple
Didnt think this is where my Thursday night would lead but...
PREACH, COLKY BOY!

it really is that simple. The salary cap aint enough, never has been, never will be, becauce by design and by intention, it's not what it aims to do.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 145523
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:59 pm
Colk wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:27 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:13 pm
Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:52 pm I feel sorry for Penrith. After losing so many stars it was about time they were able to buy one.

I hate the Roosters. Of course they get him. They can recruit literally anyone they want.
I feel sorry for the Titans, certainly not the Panthers. Never the Panthers. Of course I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Titans if we’d recruited Fifita.

The thing that really gets on my goat is that you have star players going from struggling clubs who go to top teams, for what is supposedly “less”. And the NRL sits back and, ‘oh, that’s OK, nothing to see here’.
Yeah but that would mean the ARLC actually gave a ****. The salary cap doesn’t work and has never worked. A well run competition requires a draft or something in addition to a salary cap if you want an even competition. Without it and without the actual ability to police it you don’t get an even competition. Pretty simple
Didnt think this is where my Thursday night would lead but...
PREACH, COLKY BOY!

it really is that simple. The salary cap aint enough, never has been, never will be, becauce by design and by intention, it's not what it aims to do.
Why have a Salary Cap?

The NRL Salary Cap serves two functions:

1. It assists in "spreading the playing talent" so that a few better resourced clubs cannot simply out-bid other clubs for all of the best players. If a few clubs are able to spend unlimited funds it will reduce the attraction of games to fans, sponsors and media partners due to an uneven competition. Allowing clubs to spend an unlimited amount on players would drive some clubs out of the competition as they would struggle to match the prices wealthy clubs could afford to pay.

2. It ensures clubs are not put into a position where they are forced to spend more money than they can afford, in terms of player payments, just to be competitive.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrit ... 0allowance.

It certainly is the intention of the NRL to equalise playing talent through the salary cap. The No. 1 objective. The NRL gets to be judged on how the stated objective is achieved. It’s not administered to achieve the objective and it could be a lot more effective if it were.
Image
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5251
Joined: August 28, 2016, 6:19 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

How can the salary cap be an equalizer when you have TPAs that are not counted towards the cap?

But that’s the system. The cap has been in place since the 90s and we need to work better at attracting legitimate FG to our club. I like signing the best youth but we also need experienced players from the UK and elsewhere. We also need to look at the best of what union has to offer.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1290
Joined: July 18, 2020, 1:59 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2024, 10:57 pm
Botman wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:59 pm
Colk wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:27 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:13 pm
Finchy wrote: May 9, 2024, 8:52 pm I feel sorry for Penrith. After losing so many stars it was about time they were able to buy one.

I hate the Roosters. Of course they get him. They can recruit literally anyone they want.
I feel sorry for the Titans, certainly not the Panthers. Never the Panthers. Of course I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Titans if we’d recruited Fifita.

The thing that really gets on my goat is that you have star players going from struggling clubs who go to top teams, for what is supposedly “less”. And the NRL sits back and, ‘oh, that’s OK, nothing to see here’.
Yeah but that would mean the ARLC actually gave a ****. The salary cap doesn’t work and has never worked. A well run competition requires a draft or something in addition to a salary cap if you want an even competition. Without it and without the actual ability to police it you don’t get an even competition. Pretty simple
Didnt think this is where my Thursday night would lead but...
PREACH, COLKY BOY!

it really is that simple. The salary cap aint enough, never has been, never will be, becauce by design and by intention, it's not what it aims to do.
Why have a Salary Cap?

The NRL Salary Cap serves two functions:

1. It assists in "spreading the playing talent" so that a few better resourced clubs cannot simply out-bid other clubs for all of the best players. If a few clubs are able to spend unlimited funds it will reduce the attraction of games to fans, sponsors and media partners due to an uneven competition. Allowing clubs to spend an unlimited amount on players would drive some clubs out of the competition as they would struggle to match the prices wealthy clubs could afford to pay.

2. It ensures clubs are not put into a position where they are forced to spend more money than they can afford, in terms of player payments, just to be competitive.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrit ... 0allowance.

It certainly is the intention of the NRL to equalise playing talent through the salary cap. The No. 1 objective. The NRL gets to be judged on how the stated objective is achieved. It’s not administered to achieve the objective and it could be a lot more effective if it were.
It might be their “intention” (although that is arguable) but the problem is they can’t police it. They know it, the RLPA know it and the fans know it (well maybe the Roosters fans don’t think so but they are biased)

The evidence that they can’t police it is the fact that every time a club has been caught rorting the cap, it has been due to a disaffected former employee or whistleblower. How can anybody trust a system that has absolutely no transparency and efficacy - i.e. the people that set up the system can’t police it.

The only way a system like a salary cap can work is if you have something that is completely transparent alongside it. Now I know you don’t like a draft (because you have argued against it previously) but a draft is at least transparent and it can’t be manipulated or cheated. In essence you have to come up with something, whether it is a draft or similar thereto, that can’t be manipulated. Only then can you avoid any of this kind of discussion.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 145523
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by greeneyed »

Colk wrote: May 9, 2024, 11:23 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2024, 10:57 pm
Botman wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:59 pm
Colk wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:27 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2024, 9:13 pm

I feel sorry for the Titans, certainly not the Panthers. Never the Panthers. Of course I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Titans if we’d recruited Fifita.

The thing that really gets on my goat is that you have star players going from struggling clubs who go to top teams, for what is supposedly “less”. And the NRL sits back and, ‘oh, that’s OK, nothing to see here’.
Yeah but that would mean the ARLC actually gave a ****. The salary cap doesn’t work and has never worked. A well run competition requires a draft or something in addition to a salary cap if you want an even competition. Without it and without the actual ability to police it you don’t get an even competition. Pretty simple
Didnt think this is where my Thursday night would lead but...
PREACH, COLKY BOY!

it really is that simple. The salary cap aint enough, never has been, never will be, becauce by design and by intention, it's not what it aims to do.
Why have a Salary Cap?

The NRL Salary Cap serves two functions:

1. It assists in "spreading the playing talent" so that a few better resourced clubs cannot simply out-bid other clubs for all of the best players. If a few clubs are able to spend unlimited funds it will reduce the attraction of games to fans, sponsors and media partners due to an uneven competition. Allowing clubs to spend an unlimited amount on players would drive some clubs out of the competition as they would struggle to match the prices wealthy clubs could afford to pay.

2. It ensures clubs are not put into a position where they are forced to spend more money than they can afford, in terms of player payments, just to be competitive.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrit ... 0allowance.

It certainly is the intention of the NRL to equalise playing talent through the salary cap. The No. 1 objective. The NRL gets to be judged on how the stated objective is achieved. It’s not administered to achieve the objective and it could be a lot more effective if it were.
It might be their “intention” (although that is arguable) but the problem is they can’t police it. They know it, the RLPA know it and the fans know it (well maybe the Roosters fans don’t think so but they are biased)

The evidence that they can’t police it is the fact that every time a club has been caught rorting the cap, it has been due to a disaffected former employee or whistleblower. How can anybody trust a system that has absolutely no transparency and efficacy - i.e. the people that set up the system can’t police it.

The only way a system like a salary cap can work is if you have something that is completely transparent alongside it. Now I know you don’t like a draft (because you have argued against it previously) but a draft is at least transparent and it can’t be manipulated or cheated. In essence you have to come up with something, whether it is a draft or similar thereto, that can’t be manipulated. Only then can you avoid any of this kind of discussion.
I’ve become convinced on an internal draft. But an external draft would be very damaging to development. Clubs should be encouraged down the development route for the good of the code.
Image
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 28538
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Seiffert82 »

Drafts are almost exclusively a North American thing. Their obsession with college sports as a pathway to the pros enables it. The minimum wage of players in those sports are akin to the maximum salaries of elite NRL players, that's why it can work. Worldwide less than 1% of pro sports have them in place.

I'm not entirely sure what an internal draft is, but it sounds like a system to move players outside a team's top 30, or players earning around the minimum NRL salary of $120k.

Good luck getting people earning that type of money to be forced to move interstate when an external draft was kiboshed by the legal system.



Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 145523
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by greeneyed »

An internal draft would cover movement of players already in the NRL top 30 players. Or you could include players on supplementary lists. It’s for established players. An external draft would cover those who are playing junior football, who have not entered the NRL squads.
Image
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13373
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 10, 2024, 6:35 am Drafts are almost exclusively a North American thing. Their obsession with college sports as a pathway to the pros enables it. The minimum wage of players in those sports are akin to the maximum salaries of elite NRL players, that's why it can work. Worldwide less than 1% of pro sports have them in place.

I'm not entirely sure what an internal draft is, but it sounds like a system to move players outside a team's top 30, or players earning around the minimum NRL salary of $120k.

Good luck getting people earning that type of money to be forced to move interstate when an external draft was kiboshed by the legal system.



Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
You do know the AFL has a very successful draft yeah?
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1863
Joined: July 17, 2019, 8:54 pm
Favourite Player: Boogz

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by NoMan »

Yeah it works in the US because there’s no external competition for players. The NBA even had to change the rules to force players to effectively go to college or a pro-league for a year because more and more skipped it.

AFL and NRL are in the same boat. You might lose the occasional Suaalii to Union but thats about it.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1290
Joined: July 18, 2020, 1:59 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Colk »

NoMan wrote: May 10, 2024, 7:56 am Yeah it works in the US because there’s no external competition for players. The NBA even had to change the rules to force players to effectively go to college or a pro-league for a year because more and more skipped it.

AFL and NRL are in the same boat. You might lose the occasional Suaalii to Union but thats about it.
Exactly why you should do it.

This system (if you want to call it that) only benefits a couple of clubs in reality. Their arguments about it being an even competition also fall flat because we have essentially seen a couple of clubs really dominate (Roosters in particular) beyond what would be normal with a salary cap.
User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11466
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Colk wrote: May 10, 2024, 8:37 am
NoMan wrote: May 10, 2024, 7:56 am Yeah it works in the US because there’s no external competition for players. The NBA even had to change the rules to force players to effectively go to college or a pro-league for a year because more and more skipped it.

AFL and NRL are in the same boat. You might lose the occasional Suaalii to Union but thats about it.
Exactly why you should do it.

This system (if you want to call it that) only benefits a couple of clubs in reality. Their arguments about it being an even competition also fall flat because we have essentially seen a couple of clubs really dominate (Roosters in particular) beyond what would be normal with a salary cap.
I'm curious about how much the lower AFL draft picks are paid and whether they receive any housing as part of their initial contract? Like I mentioned earlier my problem with an NRL draft is sending someone from Townsville to Auckland to live on $150k isn't actually going to be a very luxurious lifestyle.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 145523
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by greeneyed »

David Fifita's stunning Roosters decision leaves Gold Coast Titans, Canberra Raiders demanding answers

Did you hear that? That was the mutual sigh of Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans fans upon hearing that star back-rower David Fifita was bound for Bondi, raising more questions about the set-up of the NRL salary cap that is supposed to create a fairer competition. The Roosters deal is understood to be worth around $200,000 less per year than his current $1 million-plus salary at the Titans.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Image
User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 34435
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: You have never heard of it.

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by dubby »

Did Fifita just lower the value of the back rower?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13373
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Billy Walker »

I feel like the title of this thread needs to change to include the words “mutually sigh”
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1863
Joined: July 17, 2019, 8:54 pm
Favourite Player: Boogz

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by NoMan »

dubby wrote: May 10, 2024, 5:38 pm Did Fifita just lower the value of the back rower?
For the Roosters, yeah.
User avatar
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17207
Joined: June 21, 2008, 3:04 pm
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton
Location: Sydney

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by yeh raiders »

greeneyed wrote: May 10, 2024, 5:27 pm David Fifita's stunning Roosters decision leaves Gold Coast Titans, Canberra Raiders demanding answers

Did you hear that? That was the mutual sigh of Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans fans upon hearing that star back-rower David Fifita was bound for Bondi, raising more questions about the set-up of the NRL salary cap that is supposed to create a fairer competition. The Roosters deal is understood to be worth around $200,000 less per year than his current $1 million-plus salary at the Titans.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Brandon Smith said it well when he signed with the Roosters. The difference was, the Chooks didn't just talk about his playing career. They sold him on his career during AND beyond football. That's the difference. They make a point of looking after their players for life and making sure the players they REALLY want, know this and understand this.
User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 34435
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: You have never heard of it.

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by dubby »

There's more to that.

Fifita is 23? He's thinking about life after footy now?

I wonder what Daniel Tupou is thinking
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Riaan
John Ferguson
Posts: 2263
Joined: April 3, 2006, 11:46 pm
Location: SE Queensland

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Riaan »

Does anyone actually believe that though???
Colk
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1290
Joined: July 18, 2020, 1:59 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Colk »

yeh raiders wrote: May 10, 2024, 5:44 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 10, 2024, 5:27 pm David Fifita's stunning Roosters decision leaves Gold Coast Titans, Canberra Raiders demanding answers

Did you hear that? That was the mutual sigh of Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans fans upon hearing that star back-rower David Fifita was bound for Bondi, raising more questions about the set-up of the NRL salary cap that is supposed to create a fairer competition. The Roosters deal is understood to be worth around $200,000 less per year than his current $1 million-plus salary at the Titans.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Brandon Smith said it well when he signed with the Roosters. The difference was, the Chooks didn't just talk about his playing career. They sold him on his career during AND beyond football. That's the difference. They make a point of looking after their players for life and making sure the players they REALLY want, know this and understand this.
Are you Danny Weidler? Nick Politis? They would be only two people who believe that absolute horses*** particularly if you are trying to not frame it as non-tangibles
User avatar
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5988
Joined: March 30, 2008, 9:59 pm
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Finchy »

yeh raiders wrote: May 10, 2024, 5:44 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 10, 2024, 5:27 pm David Fifita's stunning Roosters decision leaves Gold Coast Titans, Canberra Raiders demanding answers

Did you hear that? That was the mutual sigh of Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans fans upon hearing that star back-rower David Fifita was bound for Bondi, raising more questions about the set-up of the NRL salary cap that is supposed to create a fairer competition. The Roosters deal is understood to be worth around $200,000 less per year than his current $1 million-plus salary at the Titans.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Brandon Smith said it well when he signed with the Roosters. The difference was, the Chooks didn't just talk about his playing career. They sold him on his career during AND beyond football. That's the difference. They make a point of looking after their players for life and making sure the players they REALLY want, know this and understand this.
*Sandon
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1863
Joined: July 17, 2019, 8:54 pm
Favourite Player: Boogz

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by NoMan »

Riaan wrote: May 10, 2024, 6:39 pm Does anyone actually believe that though???
The life after footy bit? They've done it for years already.

Imagine what billionaires can offer Fifita off the record compared to what Don and Ricky can do.
Last edited by NoMan on May 10, 2024, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18838
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana
Location: Brisbane

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by reptar »

yeh raiders wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 10, 2024, 5:27 pm David Fifita's stunning Roosters decision leaves Gold Coast Titans, Canberra Raiders demanding answers

Did you hear that? That was the mutual sigh of Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans fans upon hearing that star back-rower David Fifita was bound for Bondi, raising more questions about the set-up of the NRL salary cap that is supposed to create a fairer competition. The Roosters deal is understood to be worth around $200,000 less per year than his current $1 million-plus salary at the Titans.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Brandon Smith said it well when he signed with the Roosters. The difference was, the Chooks didn't just talk about his playing career. They sold him on his career during AND beyond football. That's the difference. They make a point of looking after their players for life and making sure the players they REALLY want, know this and understand this.
I thought it was when they met for dinner at a nice eastern suburbs house, and Uncle Nick left the keys to the place and the Mercedes on the table when he walked out.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
User avatar
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25112
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by -PJ- »

I’m not too concerned.

In 3-4 years time when Fatfeeta comes off contract we can offer him his worth..$2mil per year.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 52165
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote:
yeh raiders wrote: May 10, 2024, 5:44 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 10, 2024, 5:27 pm David Fifita's stunning Roosters decision leaves Gold Coast Titans, Canberra Raiders demanding answers

Did you hear that? That was the mutual sigh of Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans fans upon hearing that star back-rower David Fifita was bound for Bondi, raising more questions about the set-up of the NRL salary cap that is supposed to create a fairer competition. The Roosters deal is understood to be worth around $200,000 less per year than his current $1 million-plus salary at the Titans.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Brandon Smith said it well when he signed with the Roosters. The difference was, the Chooks didn't just talk about his playing career. They sold him on his career during AND beyond football. That's the difference. They make a point of looking after their players for life and making sure the players they REALLY want, know this and understand this.
*Sandon
It’s amazing to me how many people get this wrong
Post Reply