Re: Canberra Raiders ramp up bid to sign David Fifita

Post by greeneyed »

A pie and sauce and a Coke.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wighton's performance this year is barely worth the $700k Souths are reportedly paying him next season. The $1+m he is already getting from us is significant overs.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Seiffert82 wrote:Wighton's performance this year is barely worth the $700k Souths are reportedly paying him next season. The $1+m he is already getting from us is significant overs.

He's been paid on potential for most of his time in Canberra. I think he was worth the money for one or two seasons of his stay at very most.

To be fair, the club took a very good centre and tried to turn him into something that he is not.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

T_R wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Wighton's performance this year is barely worth the $700k Souths are reportedly paying him next season. The $1+m he is already getting from us is significant overs.

He's been paid on potential for most of his time in Canberra. I think he was worth the money for one or two seasons of his stay at very most.

To be fair, the club took a very good centre and tried to turn him into something that he is not.

We might have to agree to disagree there.

When Wighton was focussed and working hard on his kicking game he was an elite running 5/8 in 2019 and 2020, instrumental in getting us to a grand final and a prelim in those seasons. You don't win the awards he did playing out of position.

He has clearly lost some focus since 2021.

Does that mean Stuart tried to turn him into something he wasn't, or that Jack also needed to take some responsibility for his own personal performances?

I'm in the latter camp, but can appreciate other views.

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 16, 2023, 12:57 pm
T_R wrote:

We might have to agree to disagree there.

When Wighton was focussed and working hard on his kicking game he was an elite running 5/8 in 2019 and 2020, instrumental in getting us to a grand final and a prelim in those seasons. You don't win the awards he did playing out of position.

He has clearly lost some focus since 2021.

Does that mean Stuart tried to turn him into something he wasn't, or that Jack also needed to take some responsibility for his own personal performances?

I'm in the latter camp, but can appreciate other views.

I think Jack is still the same player he was. He can turn it on in a big game. He just doesn't do it consistently which is why he isn't one of the greats. Always been the way. Got ability but his mental game is all over the shop.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Wighton has been an absolute passenger this year. Hasn't registered a single PotY point. Pretty alarming for a half playing in a team that's basically in the top 4.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:I'm a huge advocate of leaking our offer for marquee players that we are genuinely pursuing. It keeps the salary cap auditor and other clubs honest.

However, we do need to be sensible in offering long term, high dollar deals to any player, especially middle forwards.

The recipe for success has always been investing most of your cap in the spine.

I think many have forgotten the days of having White, Shillo, TLL and Tilse in the books at the same time. Not good business.
We did that for both Milford and Wighton. They signed for other clubs for a fraction of the price. NRL: meh.
That's not entirely true.

There was a fair bit of media coverage around both instances. To the extent that with the Milford scenario it triggered an NRL investigation into the deal. They audited the books of their leagues club and $300k was found to have 'gone missing. The chair of the league's club (Andrew Gee) mysteriously resigned before they could further interview him.

So yeah, on one hand nothing happened, but on the other hand it actually led to increased scrutiny on the Broncos. They were eventually forced to clean up their act a little and within a few years of making the grand final in 2015 they were struggling on the edge of the 8 and missing finals.

There was also a fair bit of media coverage on the Wighton deal with Souths, which otherwise would not have happed without us being so public. That deal was far less shonky than the Milford one, but it has forced Souths to be quite transparent. Wighton did not sign for a pie and coke like Milford.

The practicality is that those clubs got star players well below market value, and the NRL did nothing about it. The Broncos fell in a heap once Bennett left. They've maintained a good roster, but have had poor coaches. Nothing to do with salary cap scrutiny.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sure.

But they also lost the likes of Hunt, Ash Taylor, McGuire, Wallace, Nikorima, Arrow, McCulloch, Roberts, Sims and Blair within a few years of making that 2015 Grand Final and the League's Club issue blowing up, and before Bennett left at the end of 2018.

Years gone by I'm sure the exodus of youngsters (in particular) would never have happened so rapidly.

But yeah, let's just say it was Wayne Bennett leaving.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Or we could pretend that all of those players left because they were squeezed out by the salary cap, rather than a variety of reasons including being too old, too young and behind other talent, disciplinary and being disgruntled with the club.

We could also pretend that the NRL now polices the salary cap with increased vigour, and that the big clubs aren't boosting their roster with shady third party endorsements, all thanks to us declaring the offers that we have made. I mean the Broncos have signed Reece Walsh for what is it, $350k? Nothing to see here.

The Broncos still had one of the best rosters in the comp. They have underperformed for years. The NRL have previously ruled that deals were not reflective of market value, and taken more out of the cap. They didn't extend that to us. I'm all for putting the spotlight on deals, not that I think that it will change much, more that it highlights how obviously dodgy the system is. That said, only Raiders fans seem to care.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

I know we can’t talk as our drought is longer, but it amazes me that the Broncos have not won a premiership in 17 years. With their many advantages that’s a disgrace
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dr Zaius wrote:Or we could pretend that all of those players left because they were squeezed out by the salary cap, rather than a variety of reasons including being too old, too young and behind other talent, disciplinary and being disgruntled with the club.

We could also pretend that the NRL now polices the salary cap with increased vigour, and that the big clubs aren't boosting their roster with shady third party endorsements, all thanks to us declaring the offers that we have made. I mean the Broncos have signed Reece Walsh for what is it, $350k? Nothing to see here.

The Broncos still had one of the best rosters in the comp. They have underperformed for years. The NRL have previously ruled that deals were not reflective of market value, and taken more out of the cap. They didn't extend that to us. I'm all for putting the spotlight on deals, not that I think that it will change much, more that it highlights how obviously dodgy the system is. That said, only Raiders fans seem to care.
Maybe there's something to what I'm saying, or maybe there isn't. No sweat either way.

I'm not here to convince you Doc, just pointing out some facts.

Firstly, the NRL actually did investigate the Milford thing, and Gee mysteriously resigned, so it's not exactly accurate to suggest the NRL did nothing.

Then, perhaps coincidentally, the Broncos progressively lost a large number of good players to other clubs before Bennett left in 2018. Then Milford got really fat. Then the Broncos lost even more good players (like Fifita) and finally hit rock bottom in 2020.

Whatever caused their collapse, I'm good with it.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote:I know we can’t talk as our drought is longer, but it amazes me that the Broncos have not won a premiership in 17 years. With their many advantages that’s a disgrace
So good.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Or we could pretend that all of those players left because they were squeezed out by the salary cap, rather than a variety of reasons including being too old, too young and behind other talent, disciplinary and being disgruntled with the club.

Maybe there's something to what I'm saying, or maybe there isn't. No sweat either way.

I'm not here to convince you Doc, just pointing out some facts.

Firstly, the NRL actually did investigate the Milford thing, and Gee mysteriously resigned, so it's not exactly accurate to suggest the NRL did nothing.

Then, perhaps coincidentally, the Broncos progressively lost a large number of good players to other clubs before Bennett left in 2018. Then Milford got really fat. Then the Broncos lost even more good players (like Fifita) and finally hit rock bottom in 2020.

Whatever caused their collapse, I'm good with it.

I think that it's something that we can all celebrate and hope to see many more years of.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Gold Coast Titans star David Fifita weighs up Canberra Raiders offer

Titans star David Fifita could postpone a decision on his future until the end of the season as he weighs up a $4 million poaching raid from Canberra. Under a clause in his contract, Fifita is a free agent after the sacking of coach Justin Holbrook in June. Fifita’s manager Michael Hudson is overseas until later this month, making it more difficult to reach a resolution before the end of the NRL regular season. Fifita has until mid-September to finalise his future.

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... d15aac8be3

I don’t think it happens, but imagine if it does.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

2025:

1. Chevy
2. Asomua
3. Timoko
4. Kris
5. Cotric/Hoppa
6. Strange
7. Sanders
8. Papa/Mariota
9. Trev (hopefully he kicks on)
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Fifita
13. Horse

Sheeeeeesh. Yes it's a young spine but give them time they have massive potential.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

*insert Jim Carrey "so your telling me theres a chance, yeah" gif
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

IBG wrote: August 3, 2023, 3:06 pm 2025:

1. Chevy
2. Asomua
3. Timoko
4. Kris
5. Cotric/Hoppa
6. Strange
7. Sanders
8. Papa/Mariota
9. Trev (hopefully he kicks on)
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Fifita
13. Horse

Sheeeeeesh. Yes it's a young spine but give them time they have massive potential.
But where is our Super Coach going to play Levi?
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Gee whiz... finding out you've got 1m to spend on your cap in the off-season wouldn't be ideal. Surely we'd be wanting a decision sooner so we can make other arrangements as required.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

FROG wrote: August 3, 2023, 8:08 pm Gee whiz... finding out you've got 1m to spend on your cap in the off-season wouldn't be ideal. Surely we'd be wanting a decision sooner so we can make other arrangements as required.
More like 2.5 Mill if you count Hodgo/Wighton/Croker money.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: August 3, 2023, 2:34 pm Gold Coast Titans star David Fifita weighs up Canberra Raiders offer

Titans star David Fifita could postpone a decision on his future until the end of the season as he weighs up a $4 million poaching raid from Canberra. Under a clause in his contract, Fifita is a free agent after the sacking of coach Justin Holbrook in June. Fifita’s manager Michael Hudson is overseas until later this month, making it more difficult to reach a resolution before the end of the NRL regular season. Fifita has until mid-September to finalise his future.

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... d15aac8be3

I don’t think it happens, but imagine if it does.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: October 13, 2022, 3:44 pm Brent Read thinks we'll play for David Fifita

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
42 pages later, some big ramps and falls and I’m not sure we have moved far from TW’s original post.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

T_R wrote: July 16, 2023, 12:36 pm

Has Jack ever played more than 3 games in a row at centre.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Raidernation wrote: August 4, 2023, 2:36 pm

I assume so, he’s played 36 games there

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/play ... tions.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: August 4, 2023, 3:16 pm

He has, the last time being in 2014.

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matc ... 0tLS0tLS0t
Raidernation
Alan Tongue

Post by Raidernation »

greeneyed wrote: August 4, 2023, 3:19 pm

I stand corrected, he has only ever had a stretch of more than 3 games played at centre one time and that was 8 games, 9 years ago and lost all but 1 game and i dont remember him ever being a standout at centre. itll be interesting to see how he goes.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Raidernation wrote: August 4, 2023, 4:43 pm
T_R wrote: July 16, 2023, 12:36 pm He's been paid on potential for most of his time in Canberra. I think he was worth the money for one or two seasons of his stay at very most.

I stand corrected, he has only ever had a stretch of more than 3 games played at centre one time and that was 8 games, 9 years ago and lost all but 1 game and i dont remember him ever being a standout at centre. itll be interesting to see how he goes.
I very much expect Wighton to be an expectational centre. He’s played very well there for NSW and Australia. He hits like a truck in defence and has more than enough ball playing ability to be effective. I think the questions remains whether $700k is overs for a centre in 2024 and beyond. He’ll be on more $ than a number of spine players.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

President Clinton wrote: August 4, 2023, 4:57 pm

I very much expect Wighton to be an expectational centre. He’s played very well there for NSW and Australia. He hits like a truck in defence and has more than enough ball playing ability to be effective. I think the questions remains whether $700k is overs for a centre in 2024 and beyond. He’ll be on more $ than a number of spine players.
Hahah, he’ll be on more than every one of our spine players😂
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

You’re having a laugh if you think he is going to be on $700k. He will be getting a few more shandys than that in his pay packet making him a very expensive centre.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

samvucago wrote: August 4, 2023, 5:07 pm

You’re having a laugh if you think he is going to be on $700k. He will be getting a few more shandys than that in his pay packet making him a very expensive centre.
You are right, looks like his on $850. With Latrell, Walker and Cook in the side, I imagine they will be skimping elsewhere.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I can't find any articles on koloamatangi re-signing but he wouldn't be cheap either

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I don’t know who the edge forward we’re going to land is
I very much doubt it’s Fifita but cash and some comments about the need to buy an edge forward for our top 30 give me reasons to optimistic that it’ll be a genuine upgrade

That said I’m very keen for a short sharp August to Mid Sept ramp up for a Fifita tilt! Dreams are free after all
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: July 16, 2023, 12:36 pm He's been paid on potential for most of his time in Canberra. I think he was worth the money for one or two seasons of his stay at very most.

There was more than one. Also in 2012 and 2013.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders play recruitment long game as David Fifita links continue

The Canberra Raiders are still interested in signing Gold Coast star David Fifita if he chooses to enact the get-out clause in his Titans contract. Raiders coach Ricky Stuart batted away questions about the fresh Fifita links.

"We're keen on a lot of players who are off-contract," he said. "We are working very, very hard and long hours on making sure we are recruiting the right people."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

It’s a looooong ramp
Raidernation
Alan Tongue

Post by Raidernation »

every time i see Fifita play im left underwhelmed. Ive never seen him hit in defense, when the speed of the game increases hes slow to get back in the line and hes still slow with his lateral movement. if we are going to throw a million dollar contract at someone olakuatu looks like a much better bet in almost every department. 1m a year over 3 years should be enough for him to hand in a transfer request.