2023 Canberra Raiders Cup

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2023 Canberra Raiders Cup

Post by greeneyed »

2023 Canberra Raiders Cup: Preliminary Final

One team is through to the 2023 Canberra Raiders Cup Grand Final.

The Tuggeranong Bushrangers have qualified, defeating the minor premiers, the Queanbeyan Kangaroos last Sunday. The result means the Roos must now head into this weekend's do or die Preliminary Final.

Meanwhile, the 2022 premiers, the West Belconnen Warriors, have been eliminated from the title race, beaten by the Belconnen Sharks in a reversal of the result from the clash between the clubs just one week earlier. The Sharks are still alive.

So this Sunday, 3:20pm. The Preliminary Final. Roos versus Sharks. And in my best Matt Nable voice, I say "bring it on!"

Queanbeyan Kangaroos v Belconnen Sharks

The Queanbeyan Kangaroos finished the regular season as minor premiers, clearly the No. 1 attacking and defensive team. They lost just one game during the regular season - a one point defeat at the hands of the Tuggeranong Bushrangers. And in Week 1 of the finals, the Bushies again upset the Queanbeyan team's apple cart.

The competition's leading try scorer, Jack Davison was the first to score, giving the Bushrangers an early 6-0 advantage. But a double to Kangaroos centre Harry Quinlan saw the home team take control.

In the 23rd minute, Roos fullback Kaine Pagura grubbered ahead and chased the ball himself. He was just able to flick the ball back into the in goal, before it went dead. Quinlan simply had to put his hand on the ball. Five minutes later, Sam Williams put in a cross field bomb to the try line, and Quinlan was there again - plucking the ball out of the air to score. A Sam Williams field goal, in the final seconds of the first half, gave the Roos a seven point lead at the the break.

It was almost all the Bushrangers in the second half. Forward Titan Sega crossed near the posts in the 45th minute, while Brad Buckley crashed over from dummy half with just under 20 minutes remaining. The visitors had a five point lead. Both teams had tries denied in the final stages - first the Bushrangers for obstruction. Soon after the Kangaroos' Adam Barlow was penalised for a double movement. In the end, the Roos were held scoreless in the second forty - and Tuggeranong prevailed, 18-13.

The West Belconnen Warriors and Belconnen Sharks met in the final round of the regular season at Kippax - with the Warriors running out 26-18 victors. A week later, the Sharks managed to turn the tables, just.

The Sharks led 24-16 at the 60 minute mark of the elimination final. But two tries in the space of four minutes gave the Warriors a 28-24 lead in the 75th minute. The Sharks were not done. Winger Jack Mills struck back with less than three minutes left on the clock - choosing to run towards the inside before planting the ball over the line. It probably gave half Jack Beagley a slightly easier conversion attempt. His goal delivered the two points needed for victory.

30-28, five tries each. Warriors winger Brandon Withers produced an hat trick and a personal points haul of 20 points. But it was Beagley's kicking which proved the difference.

Sharks player-coach Zac Patch was happy with the efforts of his team.

"I thought we had it earlier when we were up by eight, then they clawed back into it," Patch told The Canberra Times.

"It was a good fought game from both sides. That's what finals footy feels like. We collapsed a few times throughout the year but that was an 80-minute performance."

The Preliminary Final will be a clash between first and fourth on the competition ladder. The Kangaroos have a positive points differential of 430 points, the Sharks have been out scored by their opponents overall. The Kangaroos have beaten the Sharks in both of the earlier contests between the clubs this year. The aggregate score in those two games was 90-14. It would be a mighty upset if the Sharks could beat the Roos in this one. It is possible, but I do think it is unlikely.

My tip: Kangaroos.

Season record: Kangaroos 15 and 2 (1st, +430)
Sharks 10 and 6 (4th, -24)
Form: Kangaroos LWWWL
Sharks WWLLW
Attacking record: Kangaroos 37, Sharks 21 points scored per match
Defensive record: Kangaroos 12, Sharks 23 points conceded per match
Last meetings: 2023 Round 17 Kangaroos 44 defeated Sharks 8 at Freebody Oval
2023 Round 6 Kangaroos 46 defeated Sharks 6 at NSWRL HQ, Bruce
2022 Round 11 Kangaroos 31 defeated Sharks 24 at Freebody Oval
2022 Round 2 Sharks 26 defeated Kangaroos 10 at NSWRL HQ, Bruce

Watch for our coverage on @TheGHRaiders on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, while we also provide live scores on Twitter via @CanberraCup.

Preliminary Final

Sunday 10 September
Queanbeyan Kangaroos v Belconnen Sharks, Raiders Belconnen, 3:20pm

Don't forget, you can watch every match in every grade of the Canberra Raiders Cup with a subscription to Bar TV Sports: Click here

Team lists: Click here.

Follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum, Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Cup: Queanbeyan Kangaroos forward Sia Soliola determined to leave ACT a winner

Queanbeyan Kangaroos forward Sia Soliola hasn't quite come to terms with the fact he might be about to play his last game in Canberra. The Kangaroos meet the Belconnen Sharks in the Canberra Raiders Cup Preliminary Final this weekend.

"It could be my last, so the thing I tell other people - and I'll take my own advice as well - is to really enjoy the week. That's what I'm going to do.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

'Do him proud': Queanbeyan Blues rookie Cooper Lasscock following dad's Jay's footsteps

Cooper Lasscock was his old man's shadow at every Queanbeyan Blues match - until his father Jay's untimely death broke the hearts of so many in September 2012.

"I try to model myself off my old man a lot. Obviously the goal is to put my best foot forward and do him proud. If I'm doing that, that's the main thing to me."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Queanbeyan Kangaroos bounce into Canberra Raiders Cup grand final

Queanbeyan Kangaroos have been steamrolling teams all season and that didn't change in the Canberra Raiders Cup preliminary final on Sunday afternoon. The Kangaroos comfortably defeated Belconnen United Sharks 40-10 at Raiders Belconnen to seal their spot in the 2023 first grade grand final.

QUEANBEYAN KANGAROOS 40 (T.Williams 2, J.Davis, S.Williams, S.Soliola, K.Pagura, J.Kiely tries; S.Williams 6 goals) defeated BELCONNEN SHARKS 10 (D.Williams, G.Wood tries; J.Beagley goal)

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

MATCH REPORT: Roos hop into the grand final after a dominant win over the Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/09 ... he-sharks/

Canberra Raiders Cup results in all grades: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/09 ... ary-final/
The Greenhouse score update service
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2023 Canberra Raiders Cup: Grand Final

Tuggeranong Bushrangers v Queanbeyan Kangaroos

They have been the two best teams of the year. The Tuggeranong Bushrangers and the Queanbeayan Kangaroos. And now they meet in the 2023 Canberra Raiders Cup Grand Final.

The Kangaroos are the minor premiers - finishing eight competition points clear of the second placed Bushrangers at the end of the regular season. They were very clearly the No. 1 team in both attack and defence. They have lost only two games in 2023. But the only team that has beaten them is Tuggeranong.

The Bushrangers defeated the Roos by a point in a classic match at Greenway in Round 15. Then in Week 1 of the finals, they held the Kangaroos scoreless in the second half, to run out five point winners at Freebody. That result threw the minor premiers into a Preliminary Final clash with the Belconnen Sharks.

It was a challenge the Queanbeyan outfit rose to, easily. They beat the Sharks, 40-10, last Sunday at Kippax.

The Kangaroos started the match on fire, with centre Joshua Davis crossing inside the first five minutes. Captain-coach Sam Williams threw the perfect flat pass to set it up. Williams was over himself five minutes later, with the defence falling for the dummy to the outside. The former Raiders half then simply had to step back inside into the gap. In the 15th minute, Roos hooker Lachlan Ingram put in a grubber down the right edge, allowing Thomas Williams to race through for a four pointer. 18-0 in almost no time.

The Sharks got one back in the 33rd minute, when a Jack Beagley pass put big centre David Williams across the line. But the Kangaroos took a 12 point lead to the break.

Former Raiders forward Sia Soliola put the Kangaroos further ahead in the 43rd minute, picking up a Jesse Dent offload to score near the posts. With Roos winger Jake Kiely in the bin for a professional foul, a rainbow pass from Sharks player-coach Zac Patch produced a try for George Wood. But was all the Kangaroos from there.

A second try to Thomas Williams and tries to fullback Kaine Pagura and Kiely rounded out a good afternoon for the Queanbeyan team.

The mid season arrival of Sam Williams at West Queanbeyan last year was a turning point for the Kangaroos. They won six from eight in the second half of the 2022 season, but the run was too late to secure a finals berth. Since taking over as captain-coach at the start of this year, the Kangaroos have been unstoppable. Almost. Williams deservedly won the 2023 McIntyre Medal, judged the competition's Player of the Year.

The Bushrangers have been the only team able to best the Roos this year. They are on a six game winning streak - which includes their two wins over the Roos - and have not been defeated since their two point loss to the Rams back in Round 9. It's no coincidence that that run followed the return of star forward, Zac Saddler from a premiership winning stint with French club, the Limoux Grizzlies. He's an imposing figure on field and leads by example.

Of course, Williams and Saddler are not the only reasons their teams will face off in the Grand Final on Sunday.

Kangaroos hooker Lachlan Ingram and fullback Kaine Pagura form a wonderful combination with Williams. But don't forget tough five eighth Robert Sheffield. Centre Harry Quinlan (17) is one of the leading try scorers in the competition, with Pagura (12), second rower Jesse Dent (11) and Jake Kiely (10) not doing too badly either.

The Bushrangers' spine is led by former Raider, five eighth Darby Medlyn. Mostly a back rower for the Raiders, he seems to be able to play anywhere that Bushrangers coach Jason Kelly asks. Half Liam Oakley and fullback Jack Heyman both have seven tries, while Medlyn and hooker Joshua Eppelstun have six. There's strike on the edges too, with winger Jack Davison (17) the top try scorer in the league at the end of the regular season.

The Bushrangers have not won a Canberra Raiders Cup premiership in their two decades of existence. They've made it to the decider twice. They were beaten 24-10 by the Warriors back in 2007. And they were just pipped at the post, 31-30, by the Rams in 2018. No team from Tuggeranong has ever won a first grade premiership. So there's plenty of excitement in the deep south this week.

In contrast, the Kangaroos have tasted lots of success since their establishment in the 1960s. Seventeen Grand Finals, eight premierships. But they have not won a first grade title in a decade. They last won in 2013, a 21-20 victory over the Blues.

Obviously, both teams will be desperate for the win on Sunday.

The Bushrangers were the first through to the Grand Final. They had last week off, so they'll be fresh. They've had time to help any niggling injuries recover. But sometimes the week off messes with the momentum. Clearly the Bushrangers have the ability to beat the Kangaroos on Sunday. They're in the box seat in a number of ways. But I think the Kangaroos will have learned some things from the past two defeats. They will also be wanting to 'do it for Sia', with prop Sia Soliola to play his last game in Canberra on Sunday, before heading to the Hunter for family reasons. It is a very tough choice, but I'll tip the minor premiers.

My tip: Kangaroos.

Season record: Bushrangers 11 and 4, 2 draws (2nd, +114)
Kangaroos 16 and 2 (1st, +460)
Form: Bushrangers WWWWW
Kangaroos WWWLW
Attacking record: Bushrangers 28, Kangaroos 38 points scored per match
Defensive record: Bushrangers 21, Kangaroos 12 points conceded per match
Last meetings: 2023 Major Semi-Final Bushrangers 18 defeated Kangaroos 13 at Freebody Oval
2023 Round 15 Bushrangers 18 defeated Kangaroos 17 at Greenway Oval
2023 Round 8 Kangaroos 44 defeated Bushrangers 10 at Freebody Oval
2022 Round 10 Kangaroos 27 defeated Bushrangers 18 at Freebody Oval
2022 Round 1 Bushrangers 40 defeated Kangaroos 6 at Greenway Oval

Watch for our coverage on @TheGHRaiders on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, while we also provide live scores on Twitter via @CanberraCup.

Grand Final Day

Sunday 17 September
Seiffert Oval

9:15am Women's League Tag
Woden Rams v Gungahlin Bulls

10:45am Under 19s
Woden Rams v West Belconnen Warriors

12:10am Katrina Fanning Shield
Yass Magpies v West Belconnen Warriors

1:40pm Canberra Raiders Cup Reserve Grade
Gungahlin Bulls v Tuggeranong Bushrangers

3:30pm Canberra Raiders Cup
Tuggeranong Bushrangers v Queanbeyan Kangaroos

Don't forget, you can watch every match in every grade of the Canberra Raiders Cup with a subscription to Bar TV Sports: Click here

Team lists: Click here.

Follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum, Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tuggeranong Bushrangers dream of Canberra Raiders Cup grand final upset against Queanbeyan Kangaroos

If anyone can upset the Queanbeyan Kangaroos in the Canberra Raiders Cup grand final, it's Tuggeranong.

"It'll be a really big day for the club and even after the semi-final game you could see the emotion from the old boys and the committee," Tuggeranong's Darby Medlyn said. "It means a lot to us boys to get out there and do this."

GRAND FINAL PREVIEW: Bushrangers v Kangaroos: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p1959093

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/09 ... l-preview/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Four Queanbeyan Kangaroos teammates eye first grand final win

Since under-6s, Jesse Dent, Lachlan Ingram, Bayley Hitchcock and Kaine Pagura have played together at the Kangaroos, and on Sunday afternoon they'll have the chance to win a grand final together in first grade.

"Through juniors we made a couple of grand finals, but we were never able to win one, so this will be a really good opportunity to finally get a win," Dent said. "For four of us to go all the way through and have the opportunity we have is really special."

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

GRAND FINAL RESULTS

Women’s League Tag
Woden Rams 18 defeated Gungahlin Bulls 4

Canberra Raiders Cup Under 19s
Woden Rams 42 defeated West Belconnen Warriors 18

Katrina Fanning Shield
West Belconnen Warriors 24 defeated Yass Magpies 22

Canberra Raiders Cup Reserves
Gungahlin Bulls 36 defeated Tuggeranong Bushrangers 20
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Cup Grand Final: Sam Williams-inspired Queanbeyan Kangaroos beat Tuggeranong Bushrangers

The pain of his father's death has inspired Sam Williams to lead the Queanbeyan Kangaroos to the Canberra Raiders Cup premiership. The halfback produced a masterclass to steer the side to a commanding 34-6 victory over Tuggeranong.

"It means a lot," an emotional Williams said. "We lost dad about 18 months ago and that's what probably gets me more than anything. He played such a big part in my career and he always loved his country footy, so I wish he was here."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

MATCH REPORT: West Belconnen Warriors defeat Yass Magpies in Katrina Fanning Shield decider

West Belconnen was on the ropes, trailing 16-4 to the Yass juggernaut early in the second half of the Katrina Fanning Shield grand final.

With their title hopes slipping away, Warriors captain Crystal Papali'i had a simple message for her team: "We didn't come here to lose."

MATCH REPORT: Roos bounce past Bushies to claim 2023 premiership: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/09 ... emiership/

MATCH REPORT: Gungahlin Bulls finish Reserve Grade premiership undefeated: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/09 ... ndefeated/

MATCH REPORT: Warriors comeback to claim Katrina Fanning Shield to cap off inaugural season: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/09 ... al-season/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Raider Sam Williams open to NRL coaching after Queanbeyan Kangaroos' success

It’s fair to say Sam Williams wasn’t the quickest around the park on Sunday as he captain-coached the Queanbeyan Kangaroos to the Canberra Raiders Cup premiership, but he appeared to have all the time in the world as he played a major role in guiding his side to a 34-6 victory over the Tuggeranong Bushrangers at Seiffert Oval.

“If an opportunity to coach at the NRL level came up, I’d definitely be interested, but it has to fit in with our young family. My family comes first in any decision.”

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/former-raider-s ... ess/703181

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Cup Grand Final match report: https://www.facebook.com/WINNewsCanberr ... 231338813/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Canberra Raiders Cup Grand Final: https://fb.watch/nccWhEwaCo/

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'I hated it, that's the God's honest truth'

There's nothing like playing for your hometown, but home doesn't always have to be the place you're from. Sometimes you find it further on down the road, in a place you never expected, which is proof home really can be where you find it. That's how it was for Sia Soliola and Canberra. At the end of 2021, at age 35, he finally hung up the boots. He stayed with the Raiders and worked in player welfare, a natural fit for a player Stuart once described as "a leader of men".

But something was missing, so when former Raiders teammate Sam Williams, who was captain-coaching Queanbeyan Roos, called him up to see if he was keen for a run, Soliola said he'd do it.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-28/ ... /102904452
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

What this club would give for a half with the smarts of Sam Williams (but better athletically). Put on an absolute clinic in that final.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Team of the Year 2023

1. Ryan McQueen (West Belconnen Warriors)
2. Brandon Withers (West Belconnen Warriors)
3. Harry Quinlan (Queanbeyan Kangaroos)
4. Steven Numambo (Queanbeyan Kangaroos)
5. Jack Davison (Tuggeranong Bushrangers)
6. Matthew Woolnough (Belconnen Sharks)
7. Sam Williams (Queanbeyan Kangaroos)
8. Zac Saddler (Tuggeranong Bushrangers)
9. Mitch Souter (Woden Rams)
10. Aidan Woods (Queanbeyan Kangaroos)
11. Sonny Tupuola (Belconnen Sharks)
12. Jesse Dent (Queanbeyan Kangaroos)
13. Darby Medlyn (Tuggeranong Bushrangers)

14. Liam Oakley (Tuggeranong Bushrangers)
15. Jack Heyman (Tuggeranong Bushrangers)
16. Tate Rhea (Belconnen United Sharks)
17. Mitch Shaw (West Belconnen Warriors)

No. 1 Fullback: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... -fullback/
No. 2 Wing: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... 2023-wing/
No. 3 Centre: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... 23-centre/
No. 4 Centre: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... 3-centre2/
No. 5 Wing: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... 2023-wing/
No. 6 Five eighth: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... ve-eighth/
No. 7 Halfback: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... -halfback/
No.8 Prop: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... 2023-prop/
No. 9 Hooker: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... 23-hooker/
No.10 Prop: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... 2023-prop/
No. 11 Second row: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... econd-row/
No. 12 Second row: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2023/11 ... econd-row/