Queen Elizabeth dies aged 96

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queen Elizabeth has died “peacefully” at Balmoral Castle in Scotland after Buckingham Palace revealed she was under medical supervision amid escalating concerns for her health. The Royal Family confirmed her death around 8.30pm local time (3.30am AEDT). She was 96 years old.

King Charles – who immediately ascended the throne following his mother’s death – issued a statement about the royal family’s devastating loss.

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... b062c927ac
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Queen Elizabeth dies aged 96

Post by bonehead »

ugh, King Charles eh.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Well you’d have to think with the Queen gone it’ll be checkmate in five.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Convinced my wife this morning that our coins have the wrong monarch's head on them and are no longer legal tender. Completely made my day.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: September 9, 2022, 9:24 am Convinced my wife this morning that our coins have the wrong monarch's head on them and are no longer legal tender. Completely made my day.
I'm telling people up here they're changing the state name to Kingsland in a flagrant display of political correctness gone wrong.

As soon as you use the expression PCGW people believe it for some strange **** reason.

Bloody Kingslanders.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: September 9, 2022, 9:29 am
T_R wrote: September 9, 2022, 9:24 am Convinced my wife this morning that our coins have the wrong monarch's head on them and are no longer legal tender. Completely made my day.
I'm telling people up here they're changing the state name to Kingsland in a flagrant display of political correctness gone wrong.

As soon as you use the expression PCGW people believe it for some strange **** reason.

Bloody Kingslanders.
:roflmao :roflmao

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

:roflmao
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: September 9, 2022, 9:29 am

Bloody Kingslanders.
Kingslanders would believe that too!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

RIP to the Queen.

A very noble reign.

Let the woke reign of Charlie begin.

Can you imagine his face on a coin? All we'll see is a massive ear.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: September 9, 2022, 9:45 am RIP to the Queen.

A very noble reign.

You realise the word "woke" is just the term that idiots, bigots and racists throw around, right?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:

A very noble reign.

You realise the word "woke" is just the term that idiots, bigots and racists throw around, right?
Prince Charles ‘woke’ up to news he would become King.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: September 9, 2022, 11:05 am
The Nickman wrote:

A very noble reign.

Racist.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

A very noble reign.

Racist.
Woke up to yourself! Image
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: September 9, 2022, 11:38 am
The Nickman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

A very noble reign.

Racist.
Idiot.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:
BJ wrote: September 9, 2022, 11:38 am
The Nickman wrote:
The Nickman wrote: You realise the word "woke" is just the term that idiots, bigots and racists throw around, right?
Racist.
Idiot.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

A very noble reign.

Racist.
As part Aboriginal too, it’s been a pleasure to be called racist for the first time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: September 9, 2022, 1:21 pm
The Nickman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

A very noble reign.

Racist.
As part Aboriginal too, it’s been a pleasure to be called racist for the first time.
Bigot.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m no monarchist, but I felt some sadness this morning when I woke. I remember being taken to Lang Park when I was in school, and thousands of children covered the ground. We were given red, white or blue flags to shake, and it created the Australian flag. She was wheeled in, saw it, waved and pretty much left I think. Saw her in 2006 at the MCG when she opened the Commonwealth Games.

I can’t say I’m at all thrilled about a King Charles and Queen Camilla, especially a Queen Camilla. Sorry for them all as people, having lost mother and grandmother. But time has come for the republic.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:I can’t say I’m at all thrilled about a King Charles and Queen Camilla, especially a Queen Camilla. Sorry for them all as people, having lost mother and grandmother. But time has come for the republic.
I’m not a supporter of the Monarchy, honestly I don’t care either way, but I haven’t seen an point put to me to convince me why we should be a republic, apart from “Because it’s time.”

I feel like they let us be us as it is, and don’t directly impact us as it is currently. So it seems like a huge shift for what will fundamentally be no difference.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I can’t say I’m at all thrilled about a King Charles and Queen Camilla, especially a Queen Camilla. Sorry for them all as people, having lost mother and grandmother. But time has come for the republic.
I’m not a supporter of the Monarchy, honestly I don’t care either way, but I haven’t seen an point put to me to convince me why we should be a republic, apart from “Because it’s time.”

I feel like they let us be us as it is, and don’t directly impact us as it is currently. So it seems like a huge shift for what will fundamentally be no difference.
This.

Lots of wasted money too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Do we really think australia will be a part of the commonwealth for the rest of time?
It's a matter of time before we officially leave and it'll be no less costly in 20 years time. So i say do it now and get it out of way.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Even if Australia becomes a republic we can stay in the Commonwealth.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:Do we really think australia will be a part of the commonwealth for the rest of time?
It's a matter of time before we officially leave and it'll be no less costly in 20 years time. So i say do it now and get it out of way.
We’ve been part of it for >200 odd years, so maybe :P
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I don't see any reason for us to leave the Commonwealth. It's a separate issue from becoming a republic.

Anyway. That was a solid knock Lizzie. You were a good egg. RIP.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

A mistake on my behalf. My preference is that we do infact stay in the commonwealth, because **** it if i dont like smashing minnow nations in the comm games every 4 years.
But ultimately, this country will eventually become a republic, and if the best reason not to do it is it'll cost some money, well it's going to cost money at some point... might as well bite the bullet now
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I think that this is an opportunity for the monarchy to return to some more traditional roles. King Charles' first order of business should be to challenge Vladimir Putin to a jousting dual.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:I think that this is an opportunity for the monarchy to return to some more traditional roles. King Charles' first order of business should be to challenge Vladimir Putin to a jousting dual.
I think to truly endure himself to the Kingslander public he should punch off with ol’ Vlad during a Sunday session at the Bowlo.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A heckler wearing a Melbourne City FC shirt giving Prince Andrew a spray while he and his siblings King Charles, Princess Anne and Prince Edward walking behind the Queens hearse.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: