Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights
Sunday 21 August, 4:05pm
Hunter Stadium
Gates open: 1:15pm
NSW Cup: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights, 1:30pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Shower or two, clearing. Partly cloudy. Medium (40 per cent) chance of showers, clearing during the afternoon. Winds south to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light in the early afternoon. Chance of any rain: 50 per cent Possible rainfall: 0 to 2 mm Min 10 Max 19

The Canberra Raiders are still in the hunt for a top eight place. But they're in the position that they must keep winning. Every week. In Round 23, they head to the Hunter Valley for a clash with the 14th placed Knights. It's a game they should win. But the Raiders often struggle in those sorts of games.

Last round: Canberra Raiders 24 - St George Illawarra Dragons 22. It was a very Raiders way to win. They led 18-12 at half time, and took a 12 point lead two minutes into the second half. But that was the end of the scoring for the Green Machine. In the final stages, the Dragons scored two tries to draw within two points. And only some desperate, last gasp defence secured the Canberra win.

Team news: Joe Tapine (ribs) has been named to take his place at starting prop. Emre Guler drops to the bench, with Ryan Sutton surprisingly dropping out of the top 17. Nick Cotric returns on the wing, after serving a one week suspension, replacing Albert Hopoate.

The Knights have stood down centre Bradman Best and winger Enari Tuala from this match for disciplinary reasons - after they missed a team bus in Brisbane last week. Krystian Mapapalangi will make his NRL debut in place of best, while Edrick Lee comes in on the wing. Prop David Klemmer (knee) has been named at starting prop. Jacob Saifiti shifts to lock, with Matt Croker dropping to the bench. Sauaso Sue has been named at 18th man.

Late changes: On Saturday afternoon, both teams left their top 17 unchanged. The Raiders retained Albert Hopoate and Ata Matiota on their reserves list. The Knights designated Oryn Keely as likely 18th man, with Sauaso Sue also retained on the extended bench.

History: Canberra has a good record against Newcastle, winning 28 of 53 games, with two draws. But they've had some troubles lately. The Raiders have won four and drawn one match in the last 10 clashes - and only two of the past five. In 2020, the Raiders suffered a disappointing 34-18 loss to Newcastle, in a Round 4 home game transferred to Campbelltown. There was more disappointment for the Raiders in Round 9 last year, losing to the Knights, 24-16, at Wagga Wagga. Then in Round 20, the Knights won, 34-24, in a game transferred to Lang Park and played behind closed doors due to the pandemic.

In Round 15 at Canberra Stadium this year, the Raiders led 14-0 after 25 minutes, before the Knights staged a comeback. An Edrick Lee try in the 65th minute saw the visitors go to an 18-14 lead. Hudson Young saved the day, scoring a try with just two minutes remaining - and the conversion from Jamal Fogarty sealed the 20-18 win.

The Raiders have won just eight of 23 games played against the Knights at Hunter Stadium, drawing one. The Green Machine has not played in Newcastle since 2017, a match they lost 34-20. The Raiders have won twice and drawn one in the past five games played between the clubs at the venue.

2022 Round 15: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

2021 Round 20: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

2021 Round 9: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

2020 Round 4: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

Form: Raiders: LWWWL
Knights: LLLWL

The Knights are coming off a 28-10 loss to the Brisbane Broncos at Lang Park. They broke a four game losing streak with a 14-10 victory over the Wests Tigers in Round 21. But they've also suffered recent losses to the Bulldogs (24-10), Roosters (42-12) and Sea Eagles (42-12).

Betting: The Raiders are $1.31 favourites, with the Knights paying $3.50. The Knights have 10.5 points start in the line betting. Canberra's odds have shortened since the market opened.

Stat attack: This is a clash between ninth (Raiders) and 14th (Knights) on the ladder. Neither team has the best of attacking records. But only the Tigers have scored fewer tries than Newcastle. The Knights are last for line breaks (Raiders 13th) and second last for tackle breaks (Raiders seventh). The Raiders do have a clearer advantage in defence, however. Only the Warriors have conceded more tries than Newcastle and are in the top four teams for running metres conceded. Discipline is a problem for Canberra. The Raiders rank fifth for most errors and second for most penalties conceded.

2022 Season record: Raiders 11 and 10 (9th, -31)
Knights 6 and 15 (14th, -252)

Attack: Raiders 19 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked equal 10th on tries scored
Knights 15 points and 3 tries scored per match, 15th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 20 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked equal sixth for fewest tries conceded
Knights 27 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked equal 14th for fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 50 per cent, Knights 49 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 75 per cent, Knights 76 per cent

Running: Raiders 1460 running metres per match
Knights 1434 running metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 31, Knights 24 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Knights 3 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Knights 2 per match

Offloads: Raiders 12, Knights 9 per match

Kicking: Raiders 507 kicking metres per match
Knights 530 kicking metres per match

Tackling: Raiders 88 per cent tackle efficiency
Knights 88 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1338 running metres conceded per match
Knights 1481 running metres conceded per match

Errors: Raiders 11, Knights 10 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 6, Knights 6 per match

Key match-ups:

Jordan Rapana and Edrick Lee. Jordan Rapana returned to the Raiders' wing last weekend, and showed why the veteran still has what it takes. He scored a try and made 136 running metres. It was only his second four pointer of the year, but he does plenty of hard work early in each set. He's got three try assists, four line breaks, 54 tackle breaks, and averaged 126 running metres. He has, unfortunately, missed a bit of footy through suspension this year. He's up against former Raiders winger Edrick Lee this week. Lee replaces Enari Tuala, who has been dropped for disciplinary reasons, along with centre Bradman Best. Lee has made 13 appearances in 2022, producing 11 tries, three try assists, 10 line breaks, 40 tackle breaks and 131 average running metres. Rapana has the edge in defence (81 per cent tackle efficiency, Lee 72 per cent). Rapana a shade in front in this match-up.

Jack Wighton and Anthony Milford. Jack Wighton has been a little inconsistent since the Origin campaign. But in 2022 he's scored three tries and posted seven try assists, 12 line break assists, 12 forced line drop outs, an average 92 running metres and 279 kicking metres per game. Anthony Milford was a star Raiders junior, but since heading to the Broncos in 2015, he's not had the impact we all thought he would. He's made 11 appearances this year, producing six try assists, five line break assists, nine forced drop outs, 85 average running metres and 300 kicking metres per game. Jack Wighton the clear winner here.

Joseph Tapine and David Klemmer. Joe Tapine returns after a week off with a rib injury. He's been by far and away the Raiders' best player of the year, so it is a big boost. He's produced two tries, 63 tackle breaks, 37 offloads, and an average of 160 running metres and 29 tackles per game. Knights prop David Klemmer has recently been involved in controversy - after allegedly abusing a Newcastle trainer and being linked to the Eels. He's returning from a knee injury. He's scored one try, made 20 tackle breaks, 29 offloads and averaged 156 running metres and 32 tackles per match. On a per game basis, the numbers for these two players are not too far apart, but Tapine is definitely in front in this match-up for mine.

My tip: The Raiders are deserved favourites in this game. The Knights have only won six games all year, and they have a hefty list of "outs", including captain Kalyn Ponga. The worrying thing is that Canberra tends to play to the level of their opponents. They should have won the match against the Dragons, well. But they barely managed to hold on for a last gasp win.

Like the Dragons, the Knights have proven to be a bit of a handful for the Raiders in recent years. The Knights now have nothing to lose, while the Raiders certainly do. That sort of game is always difficult. But given this is a "must win" for Canberra, they should be switched on. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Canberra Raiders captain Elliott Whitehead on the win over the Dragons: "We make it hard for ourselves at times. We tend to get to a lead and then let other teams come back and that's something that we need to fix looking forward but we're just happy to get the win tonight. After the week we've had, I thought the performance was really good. The win was the most important thing tonight and we got that."

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

18. Albert Hopoate
19. Ata Mariota

Injury/Suspension

Semi Valemei, Ribs (Indefinite)
Adrian Trevilyan, Shoulder (Indefinite)
Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Season)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)

Newcastle Knights

1. Tex Hoy
2. Edrick Lee
3. Dane Gagai
4. Krystian Mapapalangi
5. Dominic Young
6. Anthony Milford
7. Adam Clune
8. David Klemmer
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Brodie Jones
13. Jacob Saifiti

14. Phoenix Crossland
15. Pasami Saulo
16. Simi Sasagi
17. Mathew Croker

21. Oryn Keeley
18. Sauaso Sue

Injury/Suspension

Bradman Best, Stood down (Rd 24)
Hymel Hunt, Stood down (Rd 24)
Mitch Barnett, Thumb (Rd 25)
Kurt Mann, Quad (Rd 25)
Chris Vea'ila, Leg (Indefinite)
Kalyn Ponga, Concussion (Indefinite)
Jake Clifford, Arm (Season)
Leo Thompson, Hamstring (Season)
Lachlan Fitzgibbon, Shoulder (Season)
Bailey Hodgson, Elbow (Season)
Dylan Lucas. Pectoral (Season)

Officials

Referee: Grant Atkins
Touch judges: Phil Henderson, Jon Stone
Video referee: Gerard Sutton

NRL Teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLKnightsRaiders
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2022 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2022 Rd 23 V Knights: Game Day

Post by -PJ- »

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!! Go the Raiders!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Raiders by 56
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2022 Rd 23 V Knights: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

If we could put a complete performance together and win this game by 30, then…. Ahahahahaha I can’t even finish that

Raiders by a try in golden point to Hudson Young after being down by 12 with 10 to go
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Oh god, I'm so nervous for today. Newcastle have had a garbage week, loads of negative press...this is the perfect scenario for an ambush against us. We have a bad record in Newcastle...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hang on, how can Newcastle possibly ambush us if they didn’t have an unnamed senior official declare they’d do that this week?
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Game day you absolute bunch of **** degenerate fragile bellied pooches!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:Hang on, how can Newcastle possibly ambush us if they didn’t have an unnamed senior official declare they’d do that this week?
Yep, pretty sure there's a pre-disclosure requirement

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

I mean seriously...Knights 1-7...Cmon we cant let that line up win based on current form, along with dropping Best and Tuala and the Ponga scandal, I will lose my shiz if we lose this.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Crusader wrote: August 21, 2022, 9:39 am I mean seriously...Knights 1-7...Cmon we cant let that line up win based on current form, along with dropping Best and Tuala and the Ponga scandal, I will lose my shiz if we lose this.
Narrator: “But alas, Crusader did indeed lose his shiz, for the Raiders were complacent and lost to the reserve grade-level Knights team.”
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

So, will the coach come under any pressure once we lose this game ?
Asking for a friend...
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Edrick Lee 2+ tries.. milford to run 200m+
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Easy win today....
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by jimmy82 »

Need to win by 30+ if we’re serious about it making the 8.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

jimmy82 wrote: August 21, 2022, 10:58 am Need to win by 30+ if we’re serious about it making the 8.
Narrator: "But alas, they weren't serious about making the 8."
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm nervous about today's game.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Chill Dubster..

She’s all good.

Ricky’s done some couch coaching, come up with a few plays.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Don't worry, Dubby.

Melbourne put 60 on Brisbane
Parra put 40 on Canterbury
Cronulla put 40 on Manly
Easts put 70 on Wests

We'll win by 2 with 1 min to go
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Ah gameday... the positive vibes in the room are strong. I look forward too the witty banter when we are down by 12 after 8 minutes
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I just want us to attack well. I actually dont care about defence. I know d is important, but im tired of watching us not being able to score.

I want to see us scoring tries galore. Good luck to the boys.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

I think the big question is can the FOG with Jack and Wolford, finally organise some attacking raids, with the end results being multiple scoring opportunities. The chance of this is very fogarty at the moment.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Finchy wrote: August 21, 2022, 9:44 am
Crusader wrote: August 21, 2022, 9:39 am I mean seriously...Knights 1-7...Cmon we cant let that line up win based on current form, along with dropping Best and Tuala and the Ponga scandal, I will lose my shiz if we lose this.
Narrator: “But alas, Crusader did indeed lose his shiz, for the Raiders were complacent and lost to the reserve grade-level Knights team.”
Morgan Freeman?
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 21, 2022, 11:25 am Don't worry, Dubby.

Melbourne put 60 on Brisbane
Parra put 40 on Canterbury
Cronulla put 40 on Manly
Easts put 70 on Wests

We'll win by 2 with 1 min to go
We will win 10-6 or something boring, I actually think this game will go into extra Time
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Crusader wrote: August 21, 2022, 12:45 pm
Morgan Freeman?
Who else?
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Finchy wrote: August 21, 2022, 12:48 pm
Crusader wrote: August 21, 2022, 12:45 pm
Morgan Freeman?
Who else?
David Attenborough
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

At a pub in Broadmeadow for lunch before the game. Wall to wall green jerseys. It’s a good sign.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Timbo wrote: August 21, 2022, 12:55 pm At a pub in Broadmeadow for lunch before the game. Wall to wall green jerseys. It’s a good sign.
I remember Broadmeadow when I used to live in Maitland. It's a **** hole
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Neeeegz wrote: August 21, 2022, 10:02 am So, will the coach come under any pressure once we lose this game ?
Asking for a friend...
No, but he should already be under pressure. Player revolt is the only pressure capable of shifting Ricky.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Newcastle Knights at Hunter Stadium. Join us for live scores in this thread from 4:05 pm - and please join in with your own commentary.

Here are the final squads.

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
14. Tom Starling
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

9. Zac Woolford
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

18. Albert Hopoate

Newcastle Knights

1. Tex Hoy
2. Edrick Lee
3. Dane Gagai
4. Krystian Mapapalangi
5. Dominic Young
6. Anthony Milford
7. Adam Clune
8. David Klemmer
9. Jayden Brailey
13. Jacob Saifiti
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Brodie Jones
17. Matt Croker

14. Phoenix Crossland
15. Pasami Saulo
16. Simi Sasagi
18. Sauaso Sue

21. Oryn Keeley

The Greenhouse score update service
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Starling starting, Woolford on the bench. That must be Ricky's couch attacking revelation
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by jimmy82 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 21, 2022, 3:08 pm Starling starting, Woolford on the bench. That must be Ricky's couch attacking revelation
What a spud he is
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

Hoping that Starling will play opening 20 or so with Woolford on after that until the final 10.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Great afternoon here. Not used to this sun thing