Ricky Stuart banned for seven days and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Ricky Stuart banned for seven days and fined $25,000 for press conference comments

Post by Green Blogger »

What does our board actually do beside rejoice in financial success off the field? They have overseen on field mediocrity for a very long time.

Now on a weekend where the Head Coach put his foot well and truly in it and the club is being lambasted and attacked by the NRL, other clubs and the media at large they have gone missing in action.

Corporate Governance 101, when the crap hits the fan you have a board meeting and you do something.....anything.....get on the front foot.

As a minimum there should have been by now a statement saying the club did not support or endorse the coaches actions and an apology to Salmon on behalf of the club for the coaches unacceptable comments. A strong club would already be ahead of the NRL and have announced internal action / investigation against the coach. Has this happened? Did I miss it? If they did something they did not put it on their website.

Instead the Raiders sit here being attacked by everyone with their heads in the sand. This is not going away and needed to be dealt with already, instead they sit there silent two days on twiddling their thumbs.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Club leadership

Post by Mickey_Raider »

As there is apparently a long list of things he is not responsible for, you can probably notch this up as another thing that isn’t Don Furner Jnrs department.
Up The Milk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 8, 2022, 9:32 am As there is apparently a long list of things he is not responsible for, you can probably notch this up as another thing that isn’t Don Furner Jnrs department.
:roflmao
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I’m over the faux outrage about this and people using it to add to their gripes about Stuart.

Salmon kicked a bloke in the face and balls. Got charged. By reports Salmon was a problem kid growing up and had numerous issues with others including with Stuart’s son. So he called him a dog in a press conference. He’s apologised; done.

Is anyone seriously saying the Raiders brand is irreparably damaged because of this? Like board needing to take action because the sky is going to fall in? Spare me chicken little’s.

All part of the ridiculous yet engrossing drama of Rugby League. Move on.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Old School Green wrote: August 8, 2022, 10:02 am I’m over the faux outrage about this and people using it to add to their gripes about Stuart.

Salmon kicked a bloke in the face and balls. Got charged. By reports Salmon was a problem kid growing up and had numerous issues with others including with Stuart’s son. So he called him a dog in a press conference. He’s apologised; done.

Is anyone seriously saying the Raiders brand is irreparably damaged because of this? Like board needing to take action because the sky is going to fall in? Spare me chicken little’s.

Well we can agree to disagree. I am firmly in the camp that says Stuart often gets a rough deal from many and I also often watch and enjoy the ridiculous but engrossing drama that is rugby league.

That said his comments the other night were stunning and clearly crossed a line - in football parlance he played the man not the ball. The fact that the club has not taken action to draw a line under them as unacceptable is a poor reflection on them as a whole and like it or not there will be no moving on until the matter is dealt with - the NRL CEO made that clear yesterday.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Old School Green wrote: August 8, 2022, 10:02 am I’m over the faux outrage about this and people using it to add to their gripes about Stuart.

As I've said multiple times in the game day thread, it is no coincidence those with the most "outrage" are the same that have been calling for Ricky and/or Don's head for some time now.

Ricky will get some kind of punishment from the NRL - it might be a fine with something extra, he will accept it and those that already hated Ricky will just add this to their list of reasons why, and those that support Ricky will continue to do so. Ultimately though, the Rugby League world will move on.

You can create 100 different threads and scream into the void as much as you like but this incident isn't going to change anything within the leadership structure of the club.
Last edited by Raider Azz on August 8, 2022, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

For what it's worth, the outrage in my case at least is very real. I thought it was a disgusting thing to say, and the fact that it was triggered by a grudge against a primary school kid ... well, it beggars belief.

See my profile photo? That's what 11 year old rugby players look like. Are you seriously telling me that you're going to judge the behaviour of a child of that age (and then rip into them on national television about it ten years later????). So no, not faux outrage at all.

If it adds to gripes about Stuart...well, I'm afraid that's on Ricky.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’d complained that our recent wins didn’t get any coverage or discussion on the Sunday Footy show on 9.

Good work Ricky for getting us some Raiders discussion and publicity on free to air TV. That’s true leadership.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Well said TR. I’m not outraged because I’ve been quite disillusioned with the club for a while and my expectations aren’t particularly high. This is a horrible low though and I’m watching keenly for a response, who leads the response and who ducks for cover. When things like this occur it isn’t appropriate to fence sit.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

BJ wrote: August 8, 2022, 11:39 am I’d complained that our recent wins didn’t get any coverage or discussion on the Sunday Footy show on 9.

Good work Ricky for getting us some Raiders discussion and publicity on free to air TV. That’s true leadership.
Yep, sponsors must be ecstatic.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Billy Walker wrote: August 8, 2022, 11:39 am Well said TR. I’m not outraged because I’ve been quite disillusioned with the club for a while and my expectations aren’t particularly high. This is a horrible low though and I’m watching keenly for a response, who leads the response and who ducks for cover. When things like this occur it isn’t appropriate to fence sit.
It's midday and nothing from the Raiders. A cynic might think D Furner Jr has spent the morning getting HR to sign off on an addition to the addendum of things he's not responsible for on his JD - manic coach losing the plot and attacking an individual player at a presser. Luckily it's mostly a copy, paste, find and replace "referee" with "opposition player".

The addendum must be getting towards 100 pages now.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 8, 2022, 9:32 am As there is apparently a long list of things he is not responsible for, you can probably notch this up as another thing that isn’t Don Furner Jnrs department.
The list is literally
- Decisions related to hiring/firing/extending the coach
- Roster control of the NRL football squad

That's pretty much it. I'm sorry that it upsets people who want Furner sacked because the coach got extended by the board and/or the Coach has made some pretty **** roster decisions but it is what it is. Those people will just have to come to terms with that reality.

And FWIW, when I say in these discussions about DFJ that there is plenty of legitimate reasons to want a new CEO and DFJ has had his fair share of missteps. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. The CEO should have already had a statement released strongly rebuking the comments of the Coach. These type of issues are always handled poorly by the club.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: August 8, 2022, 12:12 pm
The list is literally
- Decisions related to hiring/firing/extending the coach
- Roster control of the NRL football squad

That's pretty much it. I'm sorry that it upsets people who want Furner sacked because the coach got extended by the board and/or the Coach has made some pretty **** roster decisions but it is what it is. Those people will just have to come to terms with that reality.

And FWIW, when I say in these discussions about DFJ that there is plenty of legitimate reasons to want a new CEO and DFJ has had his fair share of missteps. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. The CEO should have already had a statement released strongly rebuking the comments of the Coach. These type of issues are always handled poorly by the club.
In all seriousness it has to come from the Board with our operating model. All things point to Stuart having more power than DFjr, so DFjr condemning anything Stuart does is minor news unless he went as manic as Stuart did :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'm pretty sure if DFj came out and publicly blasted Stuart then Stuart would just have him replaced.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

In true Raiders form......

Keeping very quiet until pushed
Perth Based Raiders Fan
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Club Statement: Ricky Stuart

The Canberra Raiders would like to make the following statement following comments made in Saturday night’s post-match press conference by Head Coach Ricky Stuart.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said:

“As a club we do not condone the comments made by Ricky in Saturday night’s press conference and we are currently in dialogue with the NRL and cooperating with all their inquiries. We will accept their findings and any sanctions they hand down,” Furner said. “Being a Head Coach is a high-pressure job and comes with intense scrutiny from fans, media, and public and we understand emotion is high following a match.

“However, as a club we acknowledge that coaches also have a responsibility to ensure they conduct themselves professionally when making public comment.”

“Ricky has already publicly apologised for his actions on Saturday night, and we will continue to support him both professionally and personally.”

Canberra Raiders media

'We don't condone it': Raiders denounce Ricky Stuart 'weak-gutted dog' attack on Jaeman Salmon

The NRL is still weighing up what action it will take against Ricky Stuart as calls grow louder for the Canberra Raiders coach to be suspended for at least a week. The Canberra Raiders addressed the comments for the first time on Monday. Chief executive Don Furner said the club would accept any penalty imposed.

Stuart spoke to the NRL Integrity Unit on Monday morning about the circumstances surrounding his outburst on Saturday night, which led to him labelling Penrith's Jaeman Salmon a "weak-gutted dog".

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

‘We’ll accept any sanction’: Raiders break silence with Ricky Stuart facing unprecedented ban: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2e69e27dbf

Why league great says there is ‘no option’ but to ban Ricky as ugly spray exposes NRL’s big problem: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6270dff1ed

‘Boiling away’: Ricky Stuart’s issue with Panthers young gun: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a2897e3688

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

The entire issue directly correlates to our endless gripes about how the club is run. The coach is so comfortable in his place within the club and the broader NRL bubble he just says and does what he wants without fear of consequence. The club will pay any fine for him and it isn't like his job is under any threat whatsoever. Whether you agree that what Ricky said was over the line or not a big deal is not a debate I want to get into, what is clear is so many people with standing in the game are virtually all in agreement that Ricky stepped over the line in a big way with his comments. You can bet whatever you want that almost every other coach would be answering to someone today and most of them coming into their job with empty boxes in anticipation of cleaning out their office post interrogation. Not us. This is just good ol' Rick, doing Rick things. That's the way it is around here and always has been. Play on.

A sad thing here for me is whether I agree with the Ricky coaching methods or not, i've always been behind him on things like his passion and love of the club which are undeniable. I think this incident wipes out the last few remaining bits of respect for him I was hanging onto. Holding a grudge about a kids' match a decade ago is astonishing and a real character flaw. And further to my lack of respect for the coach is as soon as I saw the press conference I immediately considered how he'll use his media mates to go bury this kid further and try come out of it looking decent. It's a hypothetical but it comes from a fair base of precedents on his standard MO, and solidifies how I view the spiritual leader of this club in 2022.

No accountability for anyone in any position of power at the Raiders has created scenarios like this.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders make club statement on Ricky Stuart press conference

Post by nachopants »

Piss-weak Don...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Better late than never i guess, but also thats not worded nearly strongly enough
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I think that is a reasonably appropriate statement from the club at this time.

If I were to take any issue (beyond the grammatical error of referring to the NRL as a “they” rather than an “it”), it would be that the club appears to entirely passing the buck to the NRL.

I would have preferred if the position wasn’t “we will except what the NRL give us” but rather, “we will let the NRL process run and consider if the outcome is appropriate or whether the club needs to show further leadership in this space”.

Also zero mention of the player involved or any apology from the club extended to him.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 10:56 am
See my profile photo? That's what 11 year old rugby players look like.
That's 77 in dog years, the kid should know better.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Riaan wrote:
T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 10:56 am
See my profile photo? That's what 11 year old rugby players look like.
That's 77 in dog years, the kid should know better.
ImageImageImage
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Wouldn't mind a club statement clarifying what exactly a weak gutted dog is too.
Up The Milk
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Ricky was spot on...Anyone who knows the Bloke knows exactly what kind of person he is.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

That’s a weak apology. Great, let’s enable this egomaniacal man-child further shall we?

I stopped giving my money to this club a few years ago in protest of this bronze-age buffoon running our club.

Now, I’m actually going to stop my support. Thanks Canberra Raiders, it genuinely has been a great 35 years or so, but I’m done.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

See you next week Rickmando
Up The Milk
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Raiders666 wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:45 pm Ricky was spot on...Anyone who knows the Bloke knows exactly what kind of person he is.
And as I leave - you are a complete m o r o n Raiders666. Lots of people on here I’ve enjoyed conversing with over the years, but your pure dribble will not be missed!
Last edited by Rickmando on August 8, 2022, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:48 pm See you next week Rickmando
Nah I’m done. Have always enjoyed your posts, all the best mate
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Rickmando wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:50 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:48 pm See you next week Rickmando
Nah I’m done. Have always enjoyed your posts, all the best mate
Thank god
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Noooooo! Don't leave us Rickmando, we need you!
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Rickmando wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:49 pm
Raiders666 wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:45 pm Ricky was spot on...Anyone who knows the Bloke knows exactly what kind of person he is.
And as I leave - you are a complete m o r o n Raiders666. Lots of people on here I’ve enjoyed conversing with over the years, but your pure dribble will not be missed!
He should be grateful he isn't in jail...Ricky just made his career
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

He'll be back :roflmao
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

The Raiders are his employers and that statement is essentially them ducking their responsibilities entirely.

Next level pathetic from the board and CEO.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

The Nickman wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:52 pm Noooooo! Don't leave us Rickmando, we need you!
All the best Nicko. We had some times!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

After the game I stood behind Stuart as he was clearly upset with what happened on the field. Ricky certainly crossed the line with his comments and will ultimately be punished by the NRL. I'm totally fine with all that. Stuart should know better.

I'm cynical about the outrage of a number of fans, who might otherwise have said very little about the incident if we were top of the table. The issue itself has been conflated with our on-field performance, which was always going to happen.

(For the record, I've always had a few issues with Stuart's coaching and roster management, but that has nothing to do with this.)

I really can't see it hurting the club's reputation, nor can I see Salmon's family (or the Penrith club) attempt to take further action. I very much doubt they'd like to see this kids history put on the back page of the Telegraph were this to be dug into a little deeper than it already has. I'm not going to imagine what it was like if Salmon was my son, because if he was my son there would be absolutely no reason for those comments to have been made.

However, what is most disappointing is that it has taken the focus off what that merkin Salmon did on the field. It has also taken the focus of the media away from some real issues with the NRL's rules, the MRC and judiciary. Stuart will be incredibly upset with himself for all those reasons. Somehow Penrith come out of this looking good.

The whole thing is regrettable.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Seiffert82 on August 8, 2022, 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.