Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Re: 2022 Rd 21 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by Boomercm »

T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:23 pm
Boomercm wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:03 pm
T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 12:57 pm
Nikksixx6 wrote: August 8, 2022, 12:33 pm Firstly congrats ricky haters you all have a new bullet for your chamber 🙄
My question to everyone is how many of you are parents? If your kid got coward punched would you all be sunshine and roses to the person who did that to your kid?
Didn’t think so…

He probably shouldn’t have said it in the presser, but he didn’t just decide to start talking about it, a journalist specifically asked him about the incident.

Every week journalists try to get coaches to say something stupid, maybe we should limit who can ask stupid questions?
And does ricky having said that have an impact on the practically 0 consequences for the Penrith prick? Or is that just the nrl looking out for Penrith like always?
OK, I’ll bite. Yes, I’m a parent.

Both my kids are very keen rugby players, and have played through from the under 6s all the way through to various levels of senior rep. We live in a part of the world which is pretty much as white Anglo as Australia gets. Just for context.

I’ve written about this here before. A couple of times, around the 10s and 11s, both of my kids have received some fairly horrendous racist abuse on the field. These days, I imagine it would be sorted out fairly promptly with a little judicious stomping in the next ruck. As 11 year olds, they lack the social skills to know how to cope. It can be incredibly difficult for them to cope with and, as a Dad, wounds me pretty deeply.

But here’s the thing. Rather than ‘confronting the player’ and then ‘having to be physically separated’ from the parent, as per our Coach Ricky, each time I waited until after the game and the various team songs and man of the match presentations etc until the parents and player in question were alone and walking back to the car. I stopped them then and politely discussed the issue. In each and every case (some taking a little longer than others, to be fair), it ended in handshakes and apologies and the situation resolved.

What I DIDN’T do was get into a punch up with the father, nurse a grudge for a decade then spray the offending now adult in the media.

This is because I am a normal, appropriately functioning member of society.
Above average functioning in this story. Good for you. Ironic though that your assassination of Ricky's character, flowery story and all, is ethically the same as his assassination of Salmon's. Just a smaller platform - and truth be told probably less informed.

Your story above might also be largely irrelevant. Ricky's kids went to school with Salmon. This is unlikely to be just about one incident at one game - that will just be the flare up that has received coverage. But then I am speculating too, just as you are.

None of this defends Ricky for being unprofessional at the press conference. He shouldn't have said anything about private issues in his workplace. He needs to be reprimanded (and perhaps supported professionally) for that.
Above average functioning??? No, just being an adult along with all the other adults. You see, adults don't get worked up over the actions of 11 year olds. They identify a problem and then make a decision to let it go and forget about it (which of course they do, most of the time) or if they feel particularly strongly, then fix it. They don't get into punch ups with the other parent, they don't nurse twisted grudges for a decade. Rather, they act like normally functioning members of society. Or most of them do, anyway.

I'm sorry that you feel that my story of my eleven year old children being abused at a football game that I told in response to someone's story about their eleven year old child being abused at a football game is irrelevant. I will try to do better in future.
Yes above average functioning. You may not recognize it as such but I am well qualified to make that statement. You're functioning following racial abuse of your children is pretty much the ideal and far from normal. Kudos to you.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Boomercm wrote: August 8, 2022, 3:04 pm
T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:23 pm
Boomercm wrote: August 8, 2022, 2:03 pm
T_R wrote: August 8, 2022, 12:57 pm
Nikksixx6 wrote: August 8, 2022, 12:33 pm Firstly congrats ricky haters you all have a new bullet for your chamber 🙄
My question to everyone is how many of you are parents? If your kid got coward punched would you all be sunshine and roses to the person who did that to your kid?
Didn’t think so…

He probably shouldn’t have said it in the presser, but he didn’t just decide to start talking about it, a journalist specifically asked him about the incident.

Every week journalists try to get coaches to say something stupid, maybe we should limit who can ask stupid questions?
And does ricky having said that have an impact on the practically 0 consequences for the Penrith prick? Or is that just the nrl looking out for Penrith like always?
OK, I’ll bite. Yes, I’m a parent.

Both my kids are very keen rugby players, and have played through from the under 6s all the way through to various levels of senior rep. We live in a part of the world which is pretty much as white Anglo as Australia gets. Just for context.

I’ve written about this here before. A couple of times, around the 10s and 11s, both of my kids have received some fairly horrendous racist abuse on the field. These days, I imagine it would be sorted out fairly promptly with a little judicious stomping in the next ruck. As 11 year olds, they lack the social skills to know how to cope. It can be incredibly difficult for them to cope with and, as a Dad, wounds me pretty deeply.

But here’s the thing. Rather than ‘confronting the player’ and then ‘having to be physically separated’ from the parent, as per our Coach Ricky, each time I waited until after the game and the various team songs and man of the match presentations etc until the parents and player in question were alone and walking back to the car. I stopped them then and politely discussed the issue. In each and every case (some taking a little longer than others, to be fair), it ended in handshakes and apologies and the situation resolved.

What I DIDN’T do was get into a punch up with the father, nurse a grudge for a decade then spray the offending now adult in the media.

This is because I am a normal, appropriately functioning member of society.
Above average functioning in this story. Good for you. Ironic though that your assassination of Ricky's character, flowery story and all, is ethically the same as his assassination of Salmon's. Just a smaller platform - and truth be told probably less informed.

Your story above might also be largely irrelevant. Ricky's kids went to school with Salmon. This is unlikely to be just about one incident at one game - that will just be the flare up that has received coverage. But then I am speculating too, just as you are.

None of this defends Ricky for being unprofessional at the press conference. He shouldn't have said anything about private issues in his workplace. He needs to be reprimanded (and perhaps supported professionally) for that.
Above average functioning??? No, just being an adult along with all the other adults. You see, adults don't get worked up over the actions of 11 year olds. They identify a problem and then make a decision to let it go and forget about it (which of course they do, most of the time) or if they feel particularly strongly, then fix it. They don't get into punch ups with the other parent, they don't nurse twisted grudges for a decade. Rather, they act like normally functioning members of society. Or most of them do, anyway.

I'm sorry that you feel that my story of my eleven year old children being abused at a football game that I told in response to someone's story about their eleven year old child being abused at a football game is irrelevant. I will try to do better in future.
Yes above average functioning. You may not recognize it as such but I am well qualified to make that statement. You're functioning following racial abuse of your children is pretty much the ideal and far from normal. Kudos to you.
Very kind of you to say, but having stood on many a rugby sideline in the last decade or so, I am also very confident that the majority of people would handle the situation in a similar way.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

yurithe1 wrote: August 8, 2022, 12:20 pm There's one group that nobody has mentioned as far as having a massive input on what the Raiders do with Ricky – the sponsors.

If they decide to pull their sponsorship dollars if Ricky is retained or they feel the punishment isn't satisfactory, then Don Junior will have no option but to show him the door.
lmao no sponsors are pulling out over this.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raider Azz wrote:
yurithe1 wrote: August 8, 2022, 12:20 pm There's one group that nobody has mentioned as far as having a massive input on what the Raiders do with Ricky – the sponsors.

If they decide to pull their sponsorship dollars if Ricky is retained or they feel the punishment isn't satisfactory, then Don Junior will have no option but to show him the door.
lmao no sponsors are pulling out over this.
Luckily we aren’t sponsored by Tassal Tasmanian Salmon and Crufts dog show. They may have pulled the pin.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The most puzzling take I've seen in response to this situation is that the journalist who asked the question is somehow to blame for Ricky Stuart making comments that cross the line. It is how press conferences work... journalists ask the questions, and those representing the club answer them. They can even say they don't have a comment. But the responsibility for what was said is the coach's. The other thing I've seen suggested is that there shouldn't be any post match press conferences. I think that's plain ridiculous. The NRL clubs already tightly control access to the media. The coaches are required to appear in a press conference twice a week, including the post match press conference, and that's pretty reasonable. The fans deserve to hear, post game, what the coach thought of the game and the performance.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: August 8, 2022, 4:03 pm The most puzzling take I've seen in response to this situation is that the journalist who asked the question is somehow to blame for Ricky Stuart making comments that cross the line. It is how press conferences work... journalists ask the questions, and those representing the club answer them. They can even say they don't have a comment. But the responsibility for what was said is the coach's. The other thing I've seen suggested is that there shouldn't be any post match press conferences. I think that's plain ridiculous. The NRL clubs already tightly control access to the media. The coaches are required to appear in a press conference twice a week, including the post match press conference, and that's pretty reasonable. The fans deserve to hear, post game, what the coach thought of the game and the performance.
Yes, TV funding is massive and largest contributor to the NRL's and clubs' coffers, and they should get access to the coaches. The fans should as well. Extremely reasonable; access happens in all sports - look at tennis where it's compulsory as well after a match and Naomi Osaka pulled out of a grand slam tournament as she didn't want to give post match press conferences (due to her mental health at the time).

Also it was a reasonable question to Ricky. As Michael Chammas of SMH said on the weekend, Ricky was actually OK and controlled his emotions well until the kick was brought up at the end. If he was smarter, he could have highlighted the kicks and earlier kick to another Raider's player and left it at that.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

2022 Rd 21 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Thought this was funny
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

So since I had far better things to do, Did Ata Mariota get a run? how did he go if he did?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: August 8, 2022, 7:34 pm So since I had far better things to do, Did Ata Mariota get a run? how did he go if he did?

Yeah he got about 15 minutes. We did a lot of defending during that time (lots of errors, including one from him) but he seemed to defend well and his hit ups seemed fine. Nothing special but didnt look like he couldnt handle the pace or physicality of the NRL game as a middle.
I thought he aquitted himself reasonably well
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: August 8, 2022, 7:34 pm So since I had far better things to do, Did Ata Mariota get a run? how did he go if he did?

He went well. Few strong carries, and an error or two for good measure.

He fit right in with the big boys, hope to see more of him.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Nikksixx6
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Nikksixx6 »

greeneyed wrote: August 8, 2022, 4:03 pm The most puzzling take I've seen in response to this situation is that the journalist who asked the question is somehow to blame for Ricky Stuart making comments that cross the line. It is how press conferences work... journalists ask the questions, and those representing the club answer them. They can even say they don't have a comment. But the responsibility for what was said is the coach's. The other thing I've seen suggested is that there shouldn't be any post match press conferences. I think that's plain ridiculous. The NRL clubs already tightly control access to the media. The coaches are required to appear in a press conference twice a week, including the post match press conference, and that's pretty reasonable. The fans deserve to hear, post game, what the coach thought of the game and the performance.
I wasn’t suggesting the journalist was to blame in this instance but in general journalists ask stupid question trying to bait a juicy headline, think any time a referee I flinched the result, every person in that press conference knows the coach can’t comment yet they still persist and ask the same question repetitively to get a headline
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:

Yeah he got about 15 minutes. We did a lot of defending during that time (lots of errors, including one from him) but he seemed to defend well and his hit ups seemed fine. Nothing special but didnt look like he couldnt handle the pace or physicality of the NRL game as a middle.
I thought he aquitted himself reasonably well
thanks sounds good

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:

He went well. Few strong carries, and an error or two for good measure.

He fit right in with the big boys, hope to see more of him.
Thanks Peej

Edrick The Entertainer