Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: July 22, 2022, 2:21 pm
T_R wrote: July 22, 2022, 1:39 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 22, 2022, 11:49 am You debate it, get onside with it or resign your board position.
What in the name of god are you dribbling about?

Of course there are split board votes. What a stupid thing to say.
Boards speak with one voice TR. Have the debate, discuss the dissenting views but leave the board room aligned with the decision the board landed on or step aside.

Maybe you sit on a primary school board that operates differently but the consequences of a split decision on tuck shop rosters is not the same as a split board decision that would override the 3 year coaching announcement and white ant the coach from day 1.
I sit on 9 boards, across SMEs, a NFP and in higher ed. You are talking complete and utter rubbish.
ie. Higher education tuck shops.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: July 22, 2022, 2:58 pm
T_R wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: July 22, 2022, 11:49 am You debate it, get onside with it or resign your board position.

Boards speak with one voice TR. Have the debate, discuss the dissenting views but leave the board room aligned with the decision the board landed on or step aside.

Maybe you sit on a primary school board that operates differently but the consequences of a split decision on tuck shop rosters is not the same as a split board decision that would override the 3 year coaching announcement and white ant the coach from day 1.
I sit on 9 boards, across SMEs, a NFP and in higher ed. You are talking complete and utter rubbish.
Shows what you know. We call it a 'canteen'.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
T_R wrote:
T_R wrote: July 22, 2022, 1:39 pm What in the name of god are you dribbling about?

#bringbackthevanillaslice
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol: Billy is really on one here it seems... almost enough to make me take him off block and get the full context of his embarrassing display.

Almost.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Never thought I'd see the day when TR finally came up against his intellectual equal... yet here we are
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I don’t think there are a majority who are literally wanting Ricky sacked right now.

I reckon most such as myself who are in disbelief about his re-signing are in that state because there is such an obvious and embarrassing lack of care factor for performance benchmarks when making such big decisions.

It is surely not too much to ask to wait and see whether a coach can avoid missing the finals for the second straight year with a soft draw to finish the season.

Even if we do end up failing again I would have probably been grudgingly willing to see whether Ricky could have replicated the pattern from 16-19 where two bad seasons were bookended by two good ones.

But it appears none of it matters and the result was baked in irrespective of results.
Up The Milk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

T_R wrote: July 22, 2022, 3:08 pm
T_R wrote:

Nutrition Facilitation Clinic you absolute amateurs!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: July 22, 2022, 3:33 pm :lol: Billy is really on one here it seems... almost enough to make me take him off block and get the full context of his embarrassing display.

Almost.
He pretty much just got his lunch money taken at the school canteen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MODERATOR REQUEST: Please give the personal comments a rest, thank you.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ahh, this place.

Anyway, the club loves Stuart for good reason. Not sure if the reason is his coaching ability, but he gives us corporate profile.

Don't care who's for or against the extension. The big question is whether Stick can continue to bring in the youngsters and focus on getting our basics right.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

nachopants wrote: July 21, 2022, 5:04 am By all means, produce a constructive, funded, sensible strategic argument on what you would do if you we re CEO and we'd be all ears.
Canberra Milk wrote: July 21, 2022, 9:35 pm 😂😂 The inflated views of some of our fans, seriously. We are not in the top 8 now, nor have we been all year. We did not make the top 8 last year. Yet somehow we're a "top 8 team". That'll do me :shock: :shock:

Ricky makes the 8 three times in nine years, and he's a "top 8 coach". That's just the icing on the cake

I'm guessing from this logic that Penrith and Melbourne are lowly bottom 8 battlers!!
BadnMean wrote: July 21, 2022, 11:43 am Sounds like the line of thinking that has kept us among the bottom 4 performed clubs in the NRL era, we haven't won a premiership in 25 years. We sit with the Eels, Titans and Warriors as the worst clubs in that period.

And I'm not quite sure how Ricky is a top 8 coach when we miss the finals more often than we make them- we've finished outside the limits of even mediocrity (8th out of 16) and missed the finals five times under Ricky and only made the finals three times- one year we looked like winning it. One year we just made up the numbers. Looks like another year missing out this year...

'if you miss finals twice as often as you make them, is that really a top 8 club/coach?

Ricky has done some great things as a coach. I just don't see why we extended, given the current trajectory. Personally I think the place is going backwards and he's taken us as far as he can.

PS. we'll get the treasury dept onto the costing of our message board posts right away, it's in the queue right after yours.
Every response is WE JUST SUCK THOUGH. I HATE THIS PLANE. I HATE THE FOOD HERE.

Like I said, as posed, not a single constructive or productive thought.

Club culture starts here. Bitch and moan all you want until you can use your brain to think of a better idea.

We will listen.

People shouting at clouds is the rot, and it doesn't make you look at that brilliant doing it.

Suggest something.

I'll wait. Here you go

1) Who could YOU recruit as coach as CEO
2) How much would you pay them?
3) Which players would you replace, with who, for how much?
3) When do we win the grand final? How long's your contract?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

nachopants wrote: July 23, 2022, 6:15 am Every response is WE JUST SUCK THOUGH. I HATE THIS PLANE. I HATE THE FOOD HERE.

Club culture starts here. Bitch and moan all you want until you can use your brain to think of a better idea.

We will listen.

People shouting at clouds is the rot, and it doesn't make you look at that brilliant doing it.

Suggest something.

I'll wait. Here you go

That’s easy.

1) Craig Bellamy
2) One milllllllllllion dollars!
3) Replace everyone bar Tapine, Papalli, Wighton. Buy the best players from each of the Origin squads, plus Turbo and Lattrell. Pay them 20 million. Will have to have two sets of books. Throw in a boat.
4) 2023. Lifetime contract.

Next question.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

nachopants wrote:
nachopants wrote: July 21, 2022, 5:04 am By all means, produce a constructive, funded, sensible strategic argument on what you would do if you we re CEO and we'd be all ears.
Canberra Milk wrote: July 21, 2022, 9:35 pm ImageImage The inflated views of some of our fans, seriously. We are not in the top 8 now, nor have we been all year. We did not make the top 8 last year. Yet somehow we're a "top 8 team". That'll do me :shock: :shock:

Ricky makes the 8 three times in nine years, and he's a "top 8 coach". That's just the icing on the cake

I'm guessing from this logic that Penrith and Melbourne are lowly bottom 8 battlers!!
BadnMean wrote: July 21, 2022, 11:43 am Sounds like the line of thinking that has kept us among the bottom 4 performed clubs in the NRL era, we haven't won a premiership in 25 years. We sit with the Eels, Titans and Warriors as the worst clubs in that period.

And I'm not quite sure how Ricky is a top 8 coach when we miss the finals more often than we make them- we've finished outside the limits of even mediocrity (8th out of 16) and missed the finals five times under Ricky and only made the finals three times- one year we looked like winning it. One year we just made up the numbers. Looks like another year missing out this year...

'if you miss finals twice as often as you make them, is that really a top 8 club/coach?

Ricky has done some great things as a coach. I just don't see why we extended, given the current trajectory. Personally I think the place is going backwards and he's taken us as far as he can.

PS. we'll get the treasury dept onto the costing of our message board posts right away, it's in the queue right after yours.
Every response is WE JUST SUCK THOUGH. I HATE THIS PLANE. I HATE THE FOOD HERE.

We will listen.

Suggest something.

I'll wait. Here you go

Not really how it works, Nacho. To answer any of those questions you need to be on the inside looking out.

What you CAN tell from our lowly position is that something is rotten in the way the club is run, and change is required.

EDIT: My bad, Finchy knew all the answers.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Wowsers, this thread really has it all. I’m waiting for Bernard Tomic to come out, bragging about all he does is stay home and count his millions.

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

nachopants wrote: July 23, 2022, 6:15 am

We will listen.

Suggest something.

I'll wait. Here you go

1) I'd go for Slater

2) I'd pay him 1 to 1.25mill

3) I'd be paying Slater to build the roster.

But if you're asking me, our top recruiting targets in order should be a half and a backrower. I'd be interested in Keary.

Do I need to take into account the 1.2mill the last coach saddled us with for the new couple of years, for players we can't get a first grade performances out of? Or is this a fantasy game?

3 the second 3) We win the GF within the next 25 years. My contract is 4 years.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Rickmando wrote: July 21, 2022, 1:12 pm Would anyone who is in support of us staying on this punishing merry-go-round for another 3.5 years care to list what Rick brings to the HC role? Objectively? Things that can be demonstrated and linked to how we perform as a football team? That’s his actual job.

I’d love to hear on what basis a claim of “top 8 coach in the league” can be made (mind you, it’s still a pretty low bar to clear)

I can’t see a shred of measurable coaching impact in areas of player development, match day strategy, off season improvement, fitness levels, tactical awareness, recruitment. Ask yourself, does Rick contribute positively to this team winning with his decisions and methodology as head coach?

I’m happy to be enlightened - but I fear it’s only bleeding green-type hyperbole/club legend subjectivity that will be cited.
Deafening silence on this one. Can’t say I’m surprised the Rick cult members can’t objectively tell us why he’s good at coaching
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I have to say, the “silence is deafening” and versions of it are my favourite popular forum phrases :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:

We will listen.

Suggest something.

I'll wait. Here you go

1) I'd go for Slater

But if you're asking me, our top recruiting targets in order should be a half and a backrower. I'd be interested in Keary.

Do I need to take into account the 1.2mill the last coach saddled us with for the new couple of years, for players we can't get a first grade performances out of? Or is this a fantasy game?

I wouldn't be against throwing Cam Smith an opportunity. Bring him in as an assistant for a year or two then give him the reins. I thought I read somewhere recently that Slater wasn't interested in a NRL gig at this point in time. But didn't read the full article and he is probably just waiting for the right opportunity - maybe at Melbourne?

We wouldn't want Slater and Smith as a coaching combination at Melbourne so almost any other club in the competition should be trying to prevent that from happening.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: July 23, 2022, 9:23 am I have to say, the “silence is deafening” and versions of it are my favourite popular forum phrases :lol:
I'm currently enjoying the Narrator character. Especially the "But alas" one.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

“Club culture starts on the GH.”

“Missing the finals 66% of the time makes you a top 8 club”

Keep them coming nacho.
Up The Milk
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: July 23, 2022, 9:30 am
BadnMean wrote:

We will listen.

Suggest something.

I'll wait. Here you go

1) I'd go for Slater

I wouldn't be against throwing Cam Smith an opportunity. Bring him in as an assistant for a year or two then give him the reins. I thought I read somewhere recently that Slater wasn't interested in a NRL gig at this point in time. But didn't read the full article and he is probably just waiting for the right opportunity - maybe at Melbourne?

We wouldn't want Slater and Smith as a coaching combination at Melbourne so almost any other club in the competition should be trying to prevent that from happening.
We have RIcky until 2025. I'd say by then Slater will be nosing around. Hard to say what the coaching landscape looks like by then but looking for a talented younger coach has been succesful. He'd be hard to get but so will any good coach- I want to see some ambition.

Cam Smith? Jees I hate Cam Smith. Makes it hard for me to gauge him fairly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If there were vacancies at CEO or head coach (and they’re aren’t) wouldn’t the best approach be for the club to undertake a world wide search, at least an Australasian wide search, rather than have the posters on The Greenhouse to select them and how much to pay them? Some posters have made some good suggestions but I think all most would ask for is that the club is a professional and highly performed sports organisation, which has success on field as one of the critical KPIs.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GE sums up my and I suspect many others sentiments on this topic. It looks like a complete lack of accountability, from the outside looking in.

BnM - I hate both Smith and Slater. I also hate Bellamy's influence on the game and I imagine Slater and Smith would push the boundaries in the same ways as Bellamy. But at some point if the NRL lets it happens then you just have to get on board or get left behind.

During our clubs greatest years, the players from that era have transitioned well into the coaching ranks. We'll see the same with Melbourne I suspect. Smith and Slater being the obvious ones. There has been talk about Cronk making the leap but I'm not sure he would be successful in articulating what he wants - to football players. There will be a few surprises too - I find Christian Welch to be quite charismatic and I think there is something there.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: July 23, 2022, 10:02 am GE sums up my and I suspect many others sentiments on this topic. It looks like a complete lack of accountability, from the outside looking in.

BnM - I hate both Smith and Slater. I also hate Bellamy's influence on the game and I imagine Slater and Smith would push the boundaries in the same ways as Bellamy. But at some point if the NRL lets it happens then you just have to get on board or get left behind.

During our clubs greatest years, the players from that era have transitioned well into the coaching ranks. We'll see the same with Melbourne I suspect. Smith and Slater being the obvious ones. There has been talk about Cronk making the leap but I'm not sure he would be successful in articulating what he wants - to football players. There will be a few surprises too - I find Christian Welch to be quite charismatic and I think there is something there.
Sheens and Bennet were both fairly unremarkable backrowers, turned out to be the best coaches of their generation (you could probably throw Gould in that category too). Fitzgibbon is doing a good job with Sharks so far. Maybe the superstars will shine this time or maybe they'll just get first crack because of who they are but I agree with you on the surprises.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gergreg wrote: July 23, 2022, 9:30 am
BadnMean wrote:

We will listen.

Suggest something.

I'll wait. Here you go

1) I'd go for Slater

I'm all for getting Cam Smith here, the players need to improve their Golf.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

I hate Smith and Slater.

But, I like winning.

I couldn’t care less about their personalities - if they can coach, they’d get my support.

(The only retired footballer who would test me on this would be Gallen - thankfully he’s a dense knucklehead who isn’t entering the world of coaching any time soon, or hopefully ever)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

Post by gangrenous »

I hope he coaches the Sharks personally…
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

gangrenous wrote: July 23, 2022, 11:03 am I hope he coaches the Sharks personally…
That would be perfect!

He might even roll out peptides 2.0…
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: July 23, 2022, 11:03 am I hope he coaches the Sharks personally…
I was joking with Nickman that when Freddy gets ousted maybe it’s Gal’s turn for the origin job

Even the suggestion of that brought him so much joy
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

Rickmando wrote: July 23, 2022, 9:16 am
Rickmando wrote: July 21, 2022, 1:12 pm Would anyone who is in support of us staying on this punishing merry-go-round for another 3.5 years care to list what Rick brings to the HC role? Objectively? Things that can be demonstrated and linked to how we perform as a football team? That’s his actual job.

I’d love to hear on what basis a claim of “top 8 coach in the league” can be made (mind you, it’s still a pretty low bar to clear)

I can’t see a shred of measurable coaching impact in areas of player development, match day strategy, off season improvement, fitness levels, tactical awareness, recruitment. Ask yourself, does Rick contribute positively to this team winning with his decisions and methodology as head coach?

I’m happy to be enlightened - but I fear it’s only bleeding green-type hyperbole/club legend subjectivity that will be cited.
Deafening silence on this one. Can’t say I’m surprised the Rick cult members can’t objectively tell us why he’s good at coaching
You should've swapped to one of your alts, mistake there big fella.

Look back to my earlier post and you'll see why it's a good move.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
I was joking with Nickman that when Freddy gets ousted maybe it’s Gal’s turn for the origin job

Even the suggestion of that brought him so much joy
I think there is a couple in the queue before him. Andrew Johns probably wouldn't want to do it or openly admit to the desire - but a heart to heart session over a few beers with Gus would spark that flame.

Ricky coming back for a redemption story to reset the Blues 'culture' after losing back to back series wouldn't surprise me one bit. Of course it depends on how we're going. Could be an easy out for him if we're doing ****.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think with Joey's health issues he's happier being an assistant. I'd be interested in seeing how Dean Young would go.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

4.More.Years.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

We look like a smart, well disciplined team with great leadership.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It’s safe to say I’ll be switching off the raiders for the next 4 years and I will support my sons team for a while… I can no longer put up with this clubs ignorance and drive to continue to be a bottom 8 team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk