Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

Post by kiwi raider »

Woodgers wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:39 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: July 20, 2022, 10:46 am I'm in the acceptance phase. We were always going to extend him. It's his job as long as he wants it. He's got his blind spots and weaknesses but meh, I do agree with the posos that that's worse out there, and probably not much better

Our squad is sitting about where it should be on the ladder, given our roster. The young backs and forwards are coming along well. The spine is not top shelf and that's costing us. It's a pass mark for me. I can live with it
Fair enough but if the coaching monopoly was the only issue I think I could look past it but it's just one link in the chain of an organisation that proudly makes decisions based on self interests and family ties than any kind of professionalism, accountability or strategy. The sheer arrogance of this announcement now at this point in the year demonstrates to me again that they have no consideration or respect for the fan base, a quick read of the room and temperature check would have told them that but the simple case is they just don't care. You just know this was locked down ages ago and they were just looking for the right win and opportunity in the media cycle (Origin 3 post mortem) to just casually slip this in and almost bury it while they laugh all the way to pub.

I have mentioned over the years that I debated with some officials employed by the club when I had contacts up there that it is rich calling it a membership. Love or hate the sport but AFL clubs have a membership as you have a vote if you don't like the way things are run. It is not a membership to charge people hundreds of dollars to rent them a seat for 11 matches and chuck them a plastic card and scarf and then tell them to buzz off, and anyone that dares to speak out against the establishment cops the 'we're the experts so keep in your lane and we'll tell you how it is' spiel. That's not really how a membership works IMO.

I do take the point though on the coaching, it seems like a merry go round with a handful of established coaches and some who seem to get a job, get sacked and then sit in assistant positions waiting for the next landmine of a club to jump on to take on the top job and just try grind out wins any way possible to keep their employment. In that sense the game lacks a lot of ambition to try new blood that will roll the dice on different styles of play and try to innovate but in the results driven business it is not embraced at all. I looked at the recent Warriors job, that club is stuck in a pattern of bottom of the ladder mediocrity and nothing to excite their fans whatsoever. In that situation I thought the club would have nothing to lose to throw the keys to blokes like the Walker Brothers who have demonstrated a desire to play positive football that is outside the structure heavy coaching manual you see across the game. That club had an opportunity to at least give the fans some sort of reason to finally be excited and look forward to their game every week but like most the league they went for an assistant to a 'strong' coach to try replicate a successful team's style with players not at a level to mimic it so get thrashed and then dump that fresh blood for the next bloke on the merry go round.
Welcome back Woodgers.
Just on this warriors point as i had a few mates and warriors diehards suggesting they should go down the Walker Brothers route so i looked in to them a bit further and while i would have been fine with them taking a punt i just reckon they are quite over hyped, if they weren't a coaching "team" and a bit different i dont think they'd have had much of a mention
In 9 seasons They only once finished the regular season higher than 5th (when they finished 3rd in 2015 and then won the comp), outside of that year they missed the finals completely 3 out of there final 4 seasons in charge and apart from 2015 only won 3 finals games in there other 8 seasons.

I reckon in all likelihood they would have been an absolute disaster. I'm not really sure What Webster is like but i can see the thought process behind signing him, there best ever coaches have been rookies with a point to prove, Daniel Anderson, Ivan Cleary and Todd Payten have been streets ahead of any other coaches they've had, he's been at Penrith and i reckon if the warriors are ever going to be a consistent force they'll need to emulate the junior pathways and development systems there and try and re create that in Auckland/NZ, He's also been at the Warriors before when he was an assistant to McFadden so at least knows a little bit about the place and the systems and structures in place, He should also understand that signing on to coach them will mean he actually has to live in Auckland, something the likes of Nathan Brown, Matt Lodge, Reece Walsh and Euan Aitken didnt seem to realise.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 20, 2022, 1:22 pm x2 that Woodgers echoes my thoughts and feelings perfectly.

It’s not the extension per se.

If we had managed a respectable top 8 finish this year, conducted a strong off season and were trending for a solid finals year next year you could probably actually rationalise the extension.

This would mean actually waiting to determine whether basic KPIs have been met, rather than viewing them as an inconvenient obstacle to ensuring that all the QBN boys have jobs.

And when I say inconvenient, I am not trying to suggest that the mafia cares one way or another. More that it is obviously preferable to maintain a charade of professionalism if possible.

But as it stands, Ricky’s extensions are probably about as predetermined as Putins “election” victories in Russia.
I’m on board with this. But 2 points:

-it’s basically assumed as inevitable that this was happening, if they ‘gave the perception’ that they were waiting until next year to assess KPis etc, it would be a LOT harder to sell when we don’t recruit anyone of note and potentially DONT look like trending for finals.

-basically it is all irrelevant - every coach that has been sacked has been contracted, an extension is even more irrelevant than a playing contract. Do eventually had to sack his brother mid contact, so the length means very little.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Botman wrote: July 20, 2022, 1:31 pm I said this to some mates last night, but we fans are living through the Mad Men meme

We can think and say, and post what ever it is we feel about the QBN Mafia, and how this club is run from the very top down.
Each decision like this is them telling us once more - they don't think about us at all.
Spot on. Money will be the only thing they will listen to. I’d urge all non rick-heads to vote with their feet and their wallet - or nothing will ever change
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:37 pm Dubs announcing the Stuart extension
Exactly what I did. :hi
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:27 pm
dubby wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:00 pm I can't see Ricky making anymore asinine retention decisions akin to Croker and Whitehead. He was loyal to his 19 squad and it backfired in this case.
Just on this, why would you think this?
The mistakes he's making now are repeat mistakes of his time at the Roosters where he clung on to veterans in that team who were not up to it. And to a lesser extent the same thing at Cronulla who were a very conservative veteran team.
This is not new, this is who he is
Quiet frankly, we don't have any old players to re-sign
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

The Nickman wrote:Honestly, dubby isn't an impartial judge on this topic. Sticky could walk down the street shooting a shotgun in the air yelling "bowling" and he would still have dubs' full support.
And mine.

Believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There's a lot of people who are clearly passionate about the club, many of whom would like more of a say in how it is run.

As someone who has loved the club basically since its inception, I must admit I've always just been thankful that the QBN mafia had the wherewithal to kick us off back in the day. Each year I get my hopes up, many years I'm disappointed, but I still appreciate that we have a competitive team running out almost every week.

Do I question some of Stuart's methods as a coach? Yep, always have. I was a huge critic before he came back.

Do I think he's good for the club? Yeah, he most certainly is.

For that reason, I don't think I'm as stressed about this as many others. I don't want to vote the board out. In fact, there is not a single person here who I'd want to be on that board.

Our big challenge is finding and retaining good talent who are equally passionate about helping this club win. That's what ticks the box for our coach.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Astute as always Woody.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

This is great news
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

kiwi raider wrote:
Woodgers wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:39 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: July 20, 2022, 10:46 am I'm in the acceptance phase. We were always going to extend him. It's his job as long as he wants it. He's got his blind spots and weaknesses but meh, I do agree with the posos that that's worse out there, and probably not much better

Our squad is sitting about where it should be on the ladder, given our roster. The young backs and forwards are coming along well. The spine is not top shelf and that's costing us. It's a pass mark for me. I can live with it
Fair enough but if the coaching monopoly was the only issue I think I could look past it but it's just one link in the chain of an organisation that proudly makes decisions based on self interests and family ties than any kind of professionalism, accountability or strategy. The sheer arrogance of this announcement now at this point in the year demonstrates to me again that they have no consideration or respect for the fan base, a quick read of the room and temperature check would have told them that but the simple case is they just don't care. You just know this was locked down ages ago and they were just looking for the right win and opportunity in the media cycle (Origin 3 post mortem) to just casually slip this in and almost bury it while they laugh all the way to pub.

I have mentioned over the years that I debated with some officials employed by the club when I had contacts up there that it is rich calling it a membership. Love or hate the sport but AFL clubs have a membership as you have a vote if you don't like the way things are run. It is not a membership to charge people hundreds of dollars to rent them a seat for 11 matches and chuck them a plastic card and scarf and then tell them to buzz off, and anyone that dares to speak out against the establishment cops the 'we're the experts so keep in your lane and we'll tell you how it is' spiel. That's not really how a membership works IMO.

I do take the point though on the coaching, it seems like a merry go round with a handful of established coaches and some who seem to get a job, get sacked and then sit in assistant positions waiting for the next landmine of a club to jump on to take on the top job and just try grind out wins any way possible to keep their employment. In that sense the game lacks a lot of ambition to try new blood that will roll the dice on different styles of play and try to innovate but in the results driven business it is not embraced at all. I looked at the recent Warriors job, that club is stuck in a pattern of bottom of the ladder mediocrity and nothing to excite their fans whatsoever. In that situation I thought the club would have nothing to lose to throw the keys to blokes like the Walker Brothers who have demonstrated a desire to play positive football that is outside the structure heavy coaching manual you see across the game. That club had an opportunity to at least give the fans some sort of reason to finally be excited and look forward to their game every week but like most the league they went for an assistant to a 'strong' coach to try replicate a successful team's style with players not at a level to mimic it so get thrashed and then dump that fresh blood for the next bloke on the merry go round.
Welcome back Woodgers.
Just on this warriors point as i had a few mates and warriors diehards suggesting they should go down the Walker Brothers route so i looked in to them a bit further and while i would have been fine with them taking a punt i just reckon they are quite over hyped, if they weren't a coaching "team" and a bit different i dont think they'd have had much of a mention
In 9 seasons They only once finished the regular season higher than 5th (when they finished 3rd in 2015 and then won the comp), outside of that year they missed the finals completely 3 out of there final 4 seasons in charge and apart from 2015 only won 3 finals games in there other 8 seasons.

I reckon in all likelihood they would have been an absolute disaster. I'm not really sure What Webster is like but i can see the thought process behind signing him, there best ever coaches have been rookies with a point to prove, Daniel Anderson, Ivan Cleary and Todd Payten have been streets ahead of any other coaches they've had, he's been at Penrith and i reckon if the warriors are ever going to be a consistent force they'll need to emulate the junior pathways and development systems there and try and re create that in Auckland/NZ, He's also been at the Warriors before when he was an assistant to McFadden so at least knows a little bit about the place and the systems and structures in place, He should also understand that signing on to coach them will mean he actually has to live in Auckland, something the likes of Nathan Brown, Matt Lodge, Reece Walsh and Euan Aitken didnt seem to realise.
I honestly thought the Warriors would hire a kiwi coach, but maybe Webster is a kiwi?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I don't think anyone is all that stressed about it, the club and you happy clappers deserve everything that comes of it , most see it as a relief and they now can legitimately disengage and not worry about what time the the jolly green plonkers are on during the weekend, I'm ecstatic.

Last edited by Off on July 20, 2022, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This place is woke.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 20, 2022, 4:50 pm There's a lot of people who are clearly passionate about the club, many of whom would like more of a say in how it is run.

As someone who has loved the club basically since its inception, I must admit I've always just been thankful that the QBN mafia had the wherewithal to kick us off back in the day. Each year I get my hopes up, many years I'm disappointed, but I still appreciate that we have a competitive team running out almost every week.

Do I question some of Stuart's methods as a coach? Yep, always have. I was a huge critic before he came back.

For that reason, I don't think I'm as stressed about this as many others. I don't want to vote the board out. In fact, there is not a single person here who I'd want to be on that board.

Our big challenge is finding and retaining good talent who are equally passionate about helping this club win. That's what ticks the box for our coach.

Ricky is passionate and was never going to leave. Why extend now? What benefit? It's not "stability" since there were never rumbles of him leaving anyway. Why pat the board on the back for that?

It's the same "good blokes who say nice things about us" culture that saw Croker and Whitehead extended on overs when -again- there was no competition for their signatures and no need to extend them at the time. Now we'll be carrying dead weight for years as a result.

It's such a cosy arrangement. A coach who gives you more years and more dollars just for being a good bloke. A board who accepts mediocrity because everything else is risky and hard and gee, the coach loves the club. We get to be passionate about finishing tenth more often than we make the finals, passionate about watching a team relentlessly get worse since 2019 and watching the coach waste the best years of his gun players because he'd rather have it cosy than recruit ruthlessly, repeating the same errors as his previous cycles.

Yep boys, we're doin great. Keep missing finals, haven't recruited star in donkeys, losing umpteen games we should win because of the "bounce of the ball, luck", zero improvement in match awareness or game IQ, coming tenth again -phew it could be worse! Nah, doin great boys, sign 'em all back up and run it back again.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 20, 2022, 4:50 pm There's a lot of people who are clearly passionate about the club, many of whom would like more of a say in how it is run.

Ricky is passionate and was never going to leave. Why extend now? What benefit? It's not "stability" since there were never rumbles of him leaving anyway. Why pat the board on the back for that?

It's the same "good blokes who say nice things about us" culture that saw Croker and Whitehead extended on overs when -again- there was no competition for their signatures and no need to extend them at the time. Now we'll be carrying dead weight for years as a result.

It's such a cosy arrangement. A coach who gives you more years and more dollars just for being a good bloke. A board who accepts mediocrity because everything else is risky and hard and gee, the coach loves the club. We get to be passionate about finishing tenth more often than we make the finals, passionate about watching a team relentlessly get worse since 2019 and watching the coach waste the best years of his gun players because he'd rather have it cosy than recruit ruthlessly, repeating the same errors as his previous cycles.

Yep boys, we're doin great. Keep missing finals, haven't recruited star in donkeys, losing umpteen games we should win because of the "bounce of the ball, luck", zero improvement in match awareness or game IQ, coming tenth again -phew it could be worse! Nah, doin great boys, sign 'em all back up and run it back again.
Agree with all that. The extension was crazy.

I'm just saying I can choose to be outraged by it, or just let it go and just support the club for what it is.

Not saying anyone else should express themselves the same way. We're all entitled to react in any way we see fit.

There are clearly a number of people here who have given up plenty of time and money for the club, organising supporter events and fan forums etc. I'm sure many of them feel the same way as Woodgers. It's really sad and unfortunate the club has made them feel this way.

Personally the club doesn't owe me anything. I get disappointed, but no longer that upset when the season goes poorly or good players leave.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Question wrote: July 20, 2022, 5:44 pm I don't think anyone is all that stressed about it, the club and you happy clappers deserve everything that comes of it , most see it as a relief and they now can legitimately disengage and not worry about what time the the jolly green plonkers are on during the weekend, I'm ecstatic.

:roflmao
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

I'm happy with this. Ricky's one of the better coaches out there and very much the best one we can realistically get
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

In response to a couple of points without quoting it all.

Kiwi, I wasn't right across the Walker Brother's record so thanks for that. I guess my line of thinking was if ever there was a club just stuck in a perpetual cycle of irrelevance it is probably the Warriors so my thoughts on that were basically to have a throw at the stumps and try ignite some excitement around the club. I don't mind the Warriors but I feel not much happening there so I wish their new coach success. My commentary on that is that it seems there is just this handful of guys on the coaching scene all trying to emulate each other and not a stack of candidates screaming innovation or something different.

Seiffert, I'd never not be thankful for what people who started the club achieved, there will always be a good level of respect from me there and the Les McIntyre name on the jersey is a nice touch. I respect the contributions but what has clearly happened is the very people that love the club have no ability to recognise their limitations and separate themselves from it to allow it to grow and flourish. And I certainly don't want to be on the Board as I don't feel i'm qualified, I just want a board to hold the football faculty to some kind of account and standards. It clearly doesn't happen and is a backslapping gathering where you understand if you just go along with what 'observer' Johnny says you maintain the cushy role. As far as I know there is no way to express interest in the Board anyway, it is still locked down by the QBN Leagues Club.

I'm not against Ricky at all he's a club legend and has my respect. He's as passionate about the club as anyone and you could almost employ him in a role making sure the players 'get' the club and the history. I'm just confident he isn't a great coach and never has been, and the more the game evolves and changes the more he is left behind in that 90's mentality that passion and bleeding green can win a comp like the NRL. It's just not the 80's or 90's whereby the measurement of how much you want a comp is how many beers you sunk after training and how close you became as mates because of it. I don't doubt he even has this group as committed and passionate as winning a comp as any other NRL team out there, we're just not tactically solid enough to win a professional comp despite that 2019 surge (which I put down to John Bateman's on field standards and leadership as much as anything).
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Excellent signing. Excellent decision

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 20, 2022, 6:18 pm
BadnMean wrote:

Agree with all that. The extension was crazy.

I'm just saying I can choose to be outraged by it, or just let it go and just support the club for what it is.

Not saying anyone else should express themselves the same way. We're all entitled to react in any way we see fit.

There are clearly a number of people here who have given up plenty of time and money for the club, organising supporter events and fan forums etc. I'm sure many of them feel the same way as Woodgers. It's really sad and unfortunate the club has made them feel this way.

Personally the club doesn't owe me anything. I get disappointed, but no longer that upset when the season goes poorly or good players leave.

Yeah I get you.

I'm not one who volunteers for the club or has anything to do with that. God bless those who do and sincere thanks- I love the club.

But I'm not happy with the current admin. I wish we'd strive for more.

I'm kind of glad I can still be a bit outraged. Many times I've thought, "this is it, there's no point with this club", but somehow I still do give a damn. Bad season, players leave- who cares? I agree.

But it's the "mediocrity is all we plan for" and "success is something we think a lucky break will give us! Far be it for us to actually plan for it, or institute change to bring it about" from the admin that peeves me. That- at the admin level- is bloody culpable.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

nachopants wrote: July 20, 2022, 7:21 pm I'm happy with this. Ricky's one of the better coaches out there and very much the best one we can realistically get
Really?

We had Bellamy all but signed, but we CHOSE Elliot.

Tell me again how we have to settle for mediocrity...

The club should have ambition or "wither on the vine" like NRL execs would like to see.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Crash Ball »

BadnMean wrote: July 20, 2022, 7:46 pm
nachopants wrote: July 20, 2022, 7:21 pm I'm happy with this. Ricky's one of the better coaches out there and very much the best one we can realistically get
Really?

The club should have ambition or "wither on the vine" like NRL execs would like to see.
tbf, that would've been the least ambitious decision at the time
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Crash Ball wrote: July 20, 2022, 8:00 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 20, 2022, 7:46 pm
Really?

tbf, that would've been the least ambitious decision at the time
Fair.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Elliot had had won a comp and was coach of the year twice in the English Super League and we were just getting past the Mal Mengina hire. You absolutely can not fault the hiring of Matt Elliot over Bellamy.

You can however fault the club for not getting rid of him when it was obvious his coaching ability was dog ****

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Raider Azz wrote: July 20, 2022, 9:17 pm Elliot had had won a comp and was coach of the year twice in the English Super League and we were just getting past the Mal Mengina hire. You absolutely can not fault the hiring of Matt Elliot over Bellamy.

You can however fault the club for not getting rid of him when it was obvious his coaching ability was dog ****

Please make this your sig.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: July 20, 2022, 9:25 pm
Raider Azz wrote: July 20, 2022, 9:17 pm Elliot had had won a comp and was coach of the year twice in the English Super League and we were just getting past the Mal Mengina hire. You absolutely can not fault the hiring of Matt Elliot over Bellamy.

Please make this your sig.
Yeah wow - I’m going to say you can fault it. You can fault it a lot!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

You can fault it in hindsight, but probably he means based on the information at hand at the time. For once we didn't just hire another old boy and actually went outside of our usual circle to bring someone in. Unfortunately in Elliott's case it was a miserable failure, complete myth of a coach that bloke

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

You really need to dumb it down to find inner peace as a happy clapper, I might try metho.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The Happy clappers on hearing their saviour has been resigned.

This place is woke.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

This was always going to happen but the frustrating thing is I think our club would be attractive to a lot of good coaches. We're in a great position compared to the other options out there at the moment, it's a solid squad to work with.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There have been recent reports of a new contract for coach Ricky Stuart, however it is understood the club is still in talks to retain him beyond his current deal which expires at the end of next season: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

That’s all that’s said, BTW.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Anyone saying "omfg we should have picked an unproven Bellamy" with the information at hand back then is the same person complaining about losing the tipping comps because they were right, but they weren't. It's Melbourne Cup syndrome.

We aren't getting Bellamy tomorrow so what's even your point?

If you have a better suggestion as to what the club can achieve, then by all means. If you seriously think we're getting Bellamy, Bennett, Ciraldo or any of the rest of the merry-go-round you're crazy.

Ricky is a top 8 coach. We're a top 8 team. In a top 8 location.

It's clear we're now in a development phase trying to bring a completely junior backline through. If we can hang onto them then great, we're a shot in 2024 or so.

Whinging about the status quo without any empathy for the current state of the club's cadence is just pointless.

New juniors, under a coach that made prelims and a gf and lives/breathes the joint, we could do a lot worse.

A lot worse.

---

The problem is with stuff like 'happy clappers' is you fundamentally don't even understand the point. It's not about celebrating the re-signing, it's about understanding what's sensible.

By all means, produce a constructive, funded, sensible strategic argument on what you would do if you we re CEO and we'd be all ears.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If Ricky's a top 8 coach then why aren't we in the top 8, and last year?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Pick your scope?

Name 8 current coaches you’d replace him with?

Sometimes it’s the coach, sometimes it’s the squad. We haven’t had a great time of late for a multitude of reasons.

During his tenure he has been amazing on average
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Insert fart noise.

This place is woke.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Woodgers wrote:In response to a couple of points without quoting it all.

Kiwi, I wasn't right across the Walker Brother's record so thanks for that. I guess my line of thinking was if ever there was a club just stuck in a perpetual cycle of irrelevance it is probably the Warriors so my thoughts on that were basically to have a throw at the stumps and try ignite some excitement around the club. I don't mind the Warriors but I feel not much happening there so I wish their new coach success. My commentary on that is that it seems there is just this handful of guys on the coaching scene all trying to emulate each other and not a stack of candidates screaming innovation or something different.

Seiffert, I'd never not be thankful for what people who started the club achieved, there will always be a good level of respect from me there and the Les McIntyre name on the jersey is a nice touch. I respect the contributions but what has clearly happened is the very people that love the club have no ability to recognise their limitations and separate themselves from it to allow it to grow and flourish. And I certainly don't want to be on the Board as I don't feel i'm qualified, I just want a board to hold the football faculty to some kind of account and standards. It clearly doesn't happen and is a backslapping gathering where you understand if you just go along with what 'observer' Johnny says you maintain the cushy role. As far as I know there is no way to express interest in the Board anyway, it is still locked down by the QBN Leagues Club.

I'm not against Ricky at all he's a club legend and has my respect. He's as passionate about the club as anyone and you could almost employ him in a role making sure the players 'get' the club and the history. I'm just confident he isn't a great coach and never has been, and the more the game evolves and changes the more he is left behind in that 90's mentality that passion and bleeding green can win a comp like the NRL. It's just not the 80's or 90's whereby the measurement of how much you want a comp is how many beers you sunk after training and how close you became as mates because of it. I don't doubt he even has this group as committed and passionate as winning a comp as any other NRL team out there, we're just not tactically solid enough to win a professional comp despite that 2019 surge (which I put down to John Bateman's on field standards and leadership as much as anything).
Hi Woodgers, good to see you, albeit during this sort of discussion.

Yeah, the whole "getting on the board" thing is clearly a moot point. My comment was certainly not aimed at you. I guess the point I'm (badly) making here is that fans will always have thoughts on the way things should be done better. In most cases different fans will have very different ways of seeing a situation. Those opinions are usually expressed with limited information - especially in the case of how this club is run, which is clearly a reasonably closed book.

Ultimately it's a real shame that fantastic supporters often feel disenfranchised due to management decisions. We all like to see the team winning, but I guess it's made worse that those losses are compounded by strange decisions being made by the board. And let's be honest, 99% of the gripe from fans about the board is about their decision on a head coach.

As an aside, one of the criticisms often thrown regarding the board is about keeping it in the family farm, yet Craig Bellamy's name is usually (now) the top of the coaching list for most fans. It would be interesting to see what the comments would have been at the time if Bellamy was appointed as an inexperienced coach over Elliott. Anyway, I guess it's all irrelevant now.