Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:50 pm
Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:40 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:37 pm
Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:30 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:27 pm

I just don't think there is anyone who can take the raiders higher. If a coach is an elite option coming through, say a Robinson. Why on earth would they come to the Raiders over other clubs with more money and greater pulling power?
If we keep extending a guy who cant get the job done i guess we'll never know
Well therein lies the question Botman, for you, what is 'the job'?
To put a successful football on the park. It's really as simple as that.
In order to be a successful football team in the NRL you need elite players. I'd say Brad Arthur has been pretty successful with a handful of top 4 and top 8 finishes. But he still hasn't done better than Stuart in his 9 years at the helm regarding 'getting the job done'. Judge Stuart on his merits and consider the last 9 premiership winning teams on paper. I think you'll find the raiders on paper wouldn't hold a candle to those teams. The fact we have been in the mix with the squads we have had in the last decade has been a success.
he's had some very good seasons, and ones that would certainly be considered successful, albeit falling short of the ultimate prize. But this is a "What have you done for me lately" business
Im not saying Stuart hasnt had good seasons or hasnt achieved any success. Im saying he's not delivered any recently enough to justify an extension at this point in our team building process
This is his squad, he has complete control over it. If he doesnt have the cattle to make the finals in a competition that gifts finals spots to 50% of the league, then that's entirely a problem of his own making. He's failed to identify, recruit and develop those players to even be a team that is in the top half of the competition.
He's failed to build his squad and as a result we are now a very poor football team.

Nothing but love and respect for the 2018-2020 run which were fun as hell, that is not to be diminished or discounted. But the current state of the club does not warrent further faith in him.

I frankly couldnt give the faintest **** about Parramatta and Brad Arthur. That's Parramatta's problem and him retaining his job should have no bearing on our decisisons. I've got no interest in hearing justification of this extension on the basis on what Parramatta and Brad Arthur are doing.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Brew wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:20 pm
CRaid wrote:I opened this thread thinking how much negativity can I bear in the space of a minute. Took one second for needle to spin100%, break the bar limiter, and its spinning like a top.
It’s funny, I look on Facebook and see this news and 95% of the comments are all happy and positive.

But not this place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They also think Whitehead is playing great football…
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

sprintman wrote: July 19, 2022, 9:12 pm
It's a good parallel
Whitehead has been awesome for us. Truly awesome. Anyone who doesnt respect and love what he's given to this team over the years is absolutely ****. Truly ****. Hell of a player.
But he's not up to it any longer. And he shouldnt have a place in the FG team any longer because of past performances.
Croker too. Great player for a long time. Not a starter for us anymore.

Stuart has given this team a lot as a coach too. In 2019 there wouldnt have been anyone who bulked at an extension. The team was competing and pressing for a title. We're so far from that right now that there just isnt any justification for the extension. Just like Croker and Whitehead, you can look back on their peak and be thankful but recognise its time to go in another direction.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 9:20 pm
sprintman wrote: July 19, 2022, 9:12 pm
It's a good parallel
Whitehead has been awesome for us. Truly awesome. Anyone who doesnt respect and love what he's given to this team over the years is absolutely ****. Truly ****. Hell of a player.
But he's not up to it any longer. And he shouldnt have a place in the FG team any longer because of past performances.
Croker too. Great player for a long time. Not a starter for us anymore.

Stuart has given this team a lot as a coach too. In 2019 there wouldnt have been anyone who bulked at an extension. The team was competing and pressing for a title. We're so far from that right now that there just isnt any justification for the extension. Just like Croker and Whitehead, you can look back on their peak and be thankful but recognise its time to go in another direction.
I haven’t seen this much back peddling since Conrad Hurrell last ran at Croker…. :roflmao
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

I honestly think that people can't separate

Ricky the player

And

Ricky the coach
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:50 pm
Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:40 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:37 pm
Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:30 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: July 19, 2022, 7:27 pm

I just don't think there is anyone who can take the raiders higher. If a coach is an elite option coming through, say a Robinson. Why on earth would they come to the Raiders over other clubs with more money and greater pulling power?
If we keep extending a guy who cant get the job done i guess we'll never know
Well therein lies the question Botman, for you, what is 'the job'?
To put a successful football on the park. It's really as simple as that.
In order to be a successful football team in the NRL you need elite players. I'd say Brad Arthur has been pretty successful with a handful of top 4 and top 8 finishes. But he still hasn't done better than Stuart in his 9 years at the helm regarding 'getting the job done'. Judge Stuart on his merits and consider the last 9 premiership winning teams on paper. I think you'll find the raiders on paper wouldn't hold a candle to those teams. The fact we have been in the mix with the squads we have had in the last decade has been a success.
This is a fair point. Very relevant.

I counter with this… look at the teams on paper who made places 5-8 in 2017, 2018, 2021 and this year, and tell me on paper we shouldn’t have made finals.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

-PJ- wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:14 pm
FROG wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:07 pm I'm personally fine with this decision. As I've said previously, there are only a handful of coaches I'd put in front of him and none of them are coming to the raiders. We've been in this position before under Stuart and he has proven on more than one occasion that he will get it right eventually and we'll be contesting for premierships.
What do you mean by “get it right eventually”

He had it right. He knows what’s successful and he’s gone away from that.

His team selections are just mind boggling and the use of the named 17 each has me numb.

You don’t go from GFs and prelims to missing the finals the way we have.
I respectfully disagree peej. My theory is that we massively over achieved in 2020. Making the prelims despite a massive injury toll that should have crippled us. Last year we get our regulars back and it creates a problem when they slot straight back in ahead of the blokes who busted their back sides off and were successful the year before. It happened to the cowboys in 2018. They made the gf in 17 without JT, he comes back the following year and they don't make the 8. The same thing seems to be playing out with the roosters this year. I agree that some of the player selections are odd but we don't know what's happening behind closed doors and Ricky always figures it out eventually, just as he did when he eventually punted campo and mccrone..
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I haven't posted for about 3 years, this is the opportune time.

I've never lost heart in the football club to be honest, I think it is hard to let go when it means a lot to you. However I feel that the club is that unprofessional I want to detach somewhat just to have separation which helps with the overall care factor.

I packed in my 'membership' about 2 years ago because of the way the club is run. That in itself was upsetting as I had been a member since 1993 and had signed my son up as a member when he was born in 2009. I won't go into specifics but I did a lot for the club for many years for nothing, just the love of it.

This type of thing today is why I gave up and why I feel vindicated to chuck in the memberships. This club is the ultimate unprofessional boys club you could possibly come across and there is no consequence or recourse for the people involved. They just do what they want and what they've always done and no one has a chance to have any kind of say on the way the club is run. Today's decision on the coach was the same old playbook we've had before. There is no shame.

I don't doubt the coach loves the club as much as any person walking this earth but it only gets you so far. At some point you need some modern day tactical nous and innovation to rise above the pack, passion alone doesn't win premierships. Right now I feel we are a way off challenging and despite the odd result here or there we're probably regressing rather than progressing. You can't extend an unwanted coach under those circumstances, especially with 3 finals appearances since 2014.

I recall when I used to participate in this forum people used to use phrases like 'this is why we are who we are' and 'this is why we can't have nice things'. All still relevant.

It's a shocking set of circumstances where people who genuinely love the club have to bide time waiting for people involved in the club (and who clearly also love it) like McIntyre, Don, Ricky and anyone else from that street in QBN need to die out, and hopefully not pass on the baton. If or when that happens people like me and some others I know want to buy memberships and go to games again and watch a club trying to improve itself from the office to the dressing room. Until that time comes i'll just be watching each week from my armchair and hoping for the best so i'm made a fool, but I doubt it.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Can’t argue with anything you’ve said Woodgers. It’s a very sad situation and has been for many years. Was once a great club.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

PerthRaider86 wrote: July 19, 2022, 10:17 pm I honestly think that people can't separate

Ricky the player

And

Ricky the coach
Spot on but from what i've read that is less common here than on social media, people here have a decent grasp on the game and the intricacies of the tactics and selections and are less likely to be fooled by shock results rather than trends and coaching styles/philosophies.

I'm gobsmacked comparing Ricky the player and Ricky the coach. I watched a guy that was as good at controlling a game as anyone, but he took the halfback role to a more expansive and creative position than we'd probably seen before. The passing to create space for the outside backs is still unique all these years on. Yet he coaches any sort of creativeness out of his halves and reverts to passive tactics at every chance he gets. He has not developed a solitary good halfback in 2 decades in coaching, in fact my opinion is most have declined under him due to what appears to be rigid instructions. It's like he doesn't coach to his strengths, he coaches players to hit statistical goals. I've never quite got how he's ended up coaching so far away from his playing brain.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Glad Ricky's back on board and hasn't succumbed to the whinging Wilma's who haven't got a clue how to put the club back on top when Ricky already has.

Great win on the weekend, Rick. Keep them coming.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Woodgers with the absolute truth bombs on this page - well said mate.

A drop in memberships might be the only feedback this cartel will eventually respect. I decided a few years ago this club wouldn’t see another dollar from me until Rick went out the door.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Woodgers wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:48 am
PerthRaider86 wrote: July 19, 2022, 10:17 pm I honestly think that people can't separate

Ricky the player

And

Ricky the coach
Spot on but from what i've read that is less common here than on social media, people here have a decent grasp on the game and the intricacies of the tactics and selections and are less likely to be fooled by shock results rather than trends and coaching styles/philosophies.

I'm gobsmacked comparing Ricky the player and Ricky the coach. I watched a guy that was as good at controlling a game as anyone, but he took the halfback role to a more expansive and creative position than we'd probably seen before. The passing to create space for the outside backs is still unique all these years on. Yet he coaches any sort of creativeness out of his halves and reverts to passive tactics at every chance he gets. He has not developed a solitary good halfback in 2 decades in coaching, in fact my opinion is most have declined under him due to what appears to be rigid instructions. It's like he doesn't coach to his strengths, he coaches players to hit statistical goals. I've never quite got how he's ended up coaching so far away from his playing brain.
Remember all the work he put into Finch at the Roosters. He was given a huge licence by Stick to control the team, even being made the primary half over Freddy in 2004. I remember an interview with Finch where he said every time he sees Stick he's told he cost him 2 premierships. I think the damage was done there - Stuart tried to press his method of play on to a halfback who didn't have the skillset to execute it. He's only got more and more conservative with his use of the halves since then. One exception is Kimmorley at the Sharks in 08 - I remember he pretty much ran that team and got them to a Prelim (where they were thumped). That was a very conservative Sharks team though.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Interesting theory there on Finch, Rog.
I hadn't really considered that before in regards to Stuart's evolution as a coach. But you're right, that first stint with the Roosters when they got Finch, he really did give him the freedom and tried to mould him into a player like himself.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 20, 2022, 8:53 am

Ricky the player

And

Ricky the coach

Remember all the work he put into Finch at the Roosters. He was given a huge licence by Stick to control the team, even being made the primary half over Freddy in 2004. I remember an interview with Finch where he said every time he sees Stick he's told he cost him 2 premierships. I think the damage was done there - Stuart tried to press his method of play on to a halfback who didn't have the skillset to execute it. He's only got more and more conservative with his use of the halves since then. One exception is Kimmorley at the Sharks in 08 - I remember he pretty much ran that team and got them to a Prelim (where they were thumped). That was a very conservative Sharks team though.
Sticky's track record of developing halves has long been a discussion point. His CV on getting players to fully utilise their natural talents in that role is pretty ordinary it has to be said. Nothing during his tenure at the Raiders has changed that. Sezer was the most successful but hardly a world beater. Based on this there is genuine cause for concern that we won't see the best of Schnieder either.

The Kimmorly scenario is an interesting one as thats the only time Sticky has had an elite halfback at his disposal. Kimmorly's development had already taken place and it was a case of going out and doing his thing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 20, 2022, 8:53 am

Ricky the player

And

Ricky the coach

Sticky's track record of developing halves has long been a discussion point. His CV on getting players to fully utilise their natural talents in that role is pretty ordinary it has to be said. Nothing during his tenure at the Raiders has changed that. Sezer was the most successful but hardly a world beater. Based on this there is genuine cause for concern that we won't see the best of Schnieder either.

The Kimmorly scenario is an interesting one as thats the only time Sticky has had an elite halfback at his disposal. Kimmorly's development had already taken place and it was a case of going out and doing his thing.
I just figured Sticky just tries to be Bellamy 2.0 but doesn't have it, Storm players generally play a set role whereas that only works for them.
In 2019 we were a great defensive side that scored points off individual brilliance of Rapana, Bateman, Hodgson, Papalii, Leilua, Croker, Wighton, Whitehead who were all close to career best form, no great coaching of attack.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I even wonder if that was partly contributing to GWilly being so keen to get out the door.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: July 20, 2022, 9:01 am Interesting theory there on Finch, Rog.
I hadn't really considered that before in regards to Stuart's evolution as a coach. But you're right, that first stint with the Roosters when they got Finch, he really did give him the freedom and tried to mould him into a player like himself.
I think the fact he still brings it up shows he has clung to it. As you said, just a theory.

It's an interesting contradiction as players like Joey Leilua and Rapa have completely gained his trust to roll the dice at various stages. They've had more freedom than any outside backs I can think of.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'm in the acceptance phase. We were always going to extend him. It's his job as long as he wants it. He's got his blind spots and weaknesses but meh, I do agree with the posos that that's worse out there, and probably not much better

Our squad is sitting about where it should be on the ladder, given our roster. The young backs and forwards are coming along well. The spine is not top shelf and that's costing us. It's a pass mark for me. I can live with it
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

:?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Woodgers has perfectly articulated my feelings.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

2019 was one of my favourite seasons supporting this club. We have a few disadvantages compared to many clubs, but the squad which was pieced together was a real demonstration of how things could be done. I give Stuart a lot of credit for that, and for the spirited way in which we played during 2019 and through the incredibly challenging 2020.

The last two seasons have clearly been wracked by the necessity to refresh the squad. I'm as critical as anyone of the Whitehead contract, but it's also clear Stuart needs senior players among what is an extraordinarily young and inexperienced squad. With Rapa out, Wighton probably has more games than the rest of our backline combined this week.

Whatever will be be will be. All I hope is that in the next 12-18 months we go back to mastering the fundamentals of the game and improving our defence, ala the Cowboys. This is finally a completely different team to our 2019 squad. I hope Stuart has it in him to start again with a bunch of rookies.

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Canberra Raiders extend Ricky Stuart's contract to end 2025

Post by Rick »

Taking the emotion out of this;

One of my biggest concerns is how we brought back Mick Crawley as an assistant this year only for Ricky to give up our entire attacking structure after 2-3 games played in the heat of the end of summer.

How did the coaching staff not get this right over the off-season?

How and why did Ricky give up on this so quickly with no alternative attacking structure to fall back on?

Why was so much emphasis placed on an aging Whitehead at lock when other suitable options were not even tried or persisted with?

Overall I am not unhappy with Ricky being extended I just hope we are going hard for an assistant and are looking to have a succession plan in place.

There needs to be more attacking structure and strategy over our style of play.

Like others have said I would love to see Ennis return or go hard at someone similar who can add something a little more modern to our gameplay. From the outside looking in I think Hodgson has been under-utilised this year in potentially filling that role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: July 19, 2022, 9:04 pm Nothing but love and respect for the 2018-2020 run which were fun as hell, that is not to be diminished or discounted. But the current state of the club does not warrent further faith in him.
Hey hey hey! It was 2019-2020, 2018 was an abomination in the mold of 2017 and 2021-22.

Let's not give the **** another year than he deserves!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Another of the long list of silly moves the club are soo comfortable making. To be expected really.

There's just no pressure on the club to make astute decisions. The big voices in the media are tight with Ricky and when Anthony Maroon mildly questioned Ricky's position, he was bullied and then basically driven out of town.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Whether you agree with the Stuart extension or not, I hope we all agree that we desperately need a new assistant coach added to the mix.

Whether that’s a specialist part time or short term spine coach such as a Joey, Cronk or Slater or a new full time assistant coach.

I feel we really need someone up to date with the latest attacking structures and techniques. Our block plays, passing skills and attack structures are circa 1999.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Well, I support this decision

We're in the process of rebuilding the squad, and I'm fairly confident we will be again competing for a premiership before 2025.

We have Tapine in stellar form, Young continues to improve, Woolford will get better, Savage is showing progress every week and Kris and Timoko are still very early in their careers.

I'm still wary about Fogarty as our 7, Papa and Rapa are getting older, and can Big Red take his game to another level?

I can't see Ricky making anymore asinine retention decisions akin to Croker and Whitehead. He was loyal to his 19 squad and it backfired in this case.

We have a new Chevy arriving, Trevilyn looks very promising and Schiller looks a decent player.

Yes, we're still a decent 7 from being a top contender.

But there's enough potential coming thru ton give me hope we are going to get better in future.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

dubby wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:00 pm Well, I support this decision

We're in the process of rebuilding the squad, and I'm fairly confident we will be again competing for a premiership before 2025.

We have Tapine in stellar form, Young continues to improve, Woolford will get better, Savage is showing progress every week and Kris and Timoko are still very early in their careers.

I'm still wary about Fogarty as our 7, Papa and Rapa are getting older, and can Big Red take his game to another level?

I can't see Ricky making anymore asinine retention decisions akin to Croker and Whitehead. He was loyal to his 19 squad and it backfired in this case.

We have a new Chevy arriving, Trevilyn looks very promising and Schiller looks a decent player.

Yes, we're still a decent 7 from being a top contender.

But there's enough potential coming thru ton give me hope we are going to get better in future.
I feel like I could transport us back to 2011, sub the protagonists in this post out, and sub in names like David Furner, Daniel Vidot, Jarrad Kennedy, Shaun Fensom, Sam Williams as my thesis as to why we will be winning the premiership in 2013.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: July 20, 2022, 12:00 pm I can't see Ricky making anymore asinine retention decisions akin to Croker and Whitehead. He was loyal to his 19 squad and it backfired in this case.
Just on this, why would you think this?
The mistakes he's making now are repeat mistakes of his time at the Roosters where he clung on to veterans in that team who were not up to it. And to a lesser extent the same thing at Cronulla who were a very conservative veteran team.
This is not new, this is who he is
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly, dubby isn't an impartial judge on this topic. Sticky could walk down the street shooting a shotgun in the air yelling "bowling" and he would still have dubs' full support.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dubs announcing the Stuart extension
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 20, 2022, 10:46 am I'm in the acceptance phase. We were always going to extend him. It's his job as long as he wants it. He's got his blind spots and weaknesses but meh, I do agree with the posos that that's worse out there, and probably not much better

Our squad is sitting about where it should be on the ladder, given our roster. The young backs and forwards are coming along well. The spine is not top shelf and that's costing us. It's a pass mark for me. I can live with it
Fair enough but if the coaching monopoly was the only issue I think I could look past it but it's just one link in the chain of an organisation that proudly makes decisions based on self interests and family ties than any kind of professionalism, accountability or strategy. The sheer arrogance of this announcement now at this point in the year demonstrates to me again that they have no consideration or respect for the fan base, a quick read of the room and temperature check would have told them that but the simple case is they just don't care. You just know this was locked down ages ago and they were just looking for the right win and opportunity in the media cycle (Origin 3 post mortem) to just casually slip this in and almost bury it while they laugh all the way to pub.

I have mentioned over the years that I debated with some officials employed by the club when I had contacts up there that it is rich calling it a membership. Love or hate the sport but AFL clubs have a membership as you have a vote if you don't like the way things are run. It is not a membership to charge people hundreds of dollars to rent them a seat for 11 matches and chuck them a plastic card and scarf and then tell them to buzz off, and anyone that dares to speak out against the establishment cops the 'we're the experts so keep in your lane and we'll tell you how it is' spiel. That's not really how a membership works IMO.

I do take the point though on the coaching, it seems like a merry go round with a handful of established coaches and some who seem to get a job, get sacked and then sit in assistant positions waiting for the next landmine of a club to jump on to take on the top job and just try grind out wins any way possible to keep their employment. In that sense the game lacks a lot of ambition to try new blood that will roll the dice on different styles of play and try to innovate but in the results driven business it is not embraced at all. I looked at the recent Warriors job, that club is stuck in a pattern of bottom of the ladder mediocrity and nothing to excite their fans whatsoever. In that situation I thought the club would have nothing to lose to throw the keys to blokes like the Walker Brothers who have demonstrated a desire to play positive football that is outside the structure heavy coaching manual you see across the game. That club had an opportunity to at least give the fans some sort of reason to finally be excited and look forward to their game every week but like most the league they went for an assistant to a 'strong' coach to try replicate a successful team's style with players not at a level to mimic it so get thrashed and then dump that fresh blood for the next bloke on the merry go round.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

x2 that Woodgers echoes my thoughts and feelings perfectly.

It’s not the extension per se.

If we had managed a respectable top 8 finish this year, conducted a strong off season and were trending for a solid finals year next year you could probably actually rationalise the extension.

This would mean actually waiting to determine whether basic KPIs have been met, rather than viewing them as an inconvenient obstacle to ensuring that all the QBN boys have jobs.

And when I say inconvenient, I am not trying to suggest that the mafia cares one way or another. More that it is obviously preferable to maintain a charade of professionalism if possible.

But as it stands, Ricky’s extensions are probably about as predetermined as Putins “election” victories in Russia.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I said this to some mates last night, but we fans are living through the Mad Men meme

We can think and say, and post what ever it is we feel about the QBN Mafia, and how this club is run from the very top down.
Each decision like this is them telling us once more - they don't think about us at all.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

Conrats Ricky! I'm happy with the extension and even more happy that Rickmando will be crying into his pillow every night for the rest of Rickys contract.