No votes
Warriors 13+
No votes

Total votes: 9

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 Rd 19 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Just sitting down to watch the replay of the game and the buildup. Cooper Cronk describing what the Raiders did with their attack after losing five in a row… was completely divorced from reality and what actually happened. He says the coach let the team offload, loosen up, play what they see… and what actually happened was they went back to the grind. They pay these people… well.

By the way no person is bigger than the club and commentators saying some of the stuff they say…
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Question wrote: July 23, 2022, 8:32 pm It was a battle of the cellar dwellers, credit where its due, kudos on orchestrating a half of football, that would de bunk any of the other cellar dwellers, fantastic game changing stuff here.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
Mate, you pr cool-aid is getting warm, just drink it all up now, you will feel much better very soon
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: July 23, 2022, 7:45 pm CHN is never going to be a great defender but is a much better defender than EW. Right now, CHN would be a substancial upgrade on both sides of the footy as a starting second rower. Anyone who thinks otherwise... i got nothing for you, you and i can not talk football. We see it too differently.
Exactly
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2022, 8:47 pm Just sitting down to watch the replay of the game and the buildup. Cooper Cronk describing what the Raiders did with their attack after losing five in a row… was completely divorced from reality and what actually happened. He says the coach let the team offload, loosen up, play what they see… and what actually happened was they went back to the grind. They pay these people… well.

By the way no person is bigger than the club and commentators saying some of the stuff they say…
Half of them dont watch the games, only half of those that do actually seem to know what they're **** watching and less than half of that group can articulate their thoughts in a way that isnt garbled nonsense.

The state of RL analysis has always been incredibly poor and it's as bad as its ever been right now.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: July 23, 2022, 8:49 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2022, 8:47 pm Just sitting down to watch the replay of the game and the buildup. Cooper Cronk describing what the Raiders did with their attack after losing five in a row… was completely divorced from reality and what actually happened. He says the coach let the team offload, loosen up, play what they see… and what actually happened was they went back to the grind. They pay these people… well.

Half of them dont watch the games, only half of those that do actually seem to know what they're **** watching and less than half of that group can articulate their thoughts in a way that isnt garbled nonsense.

The state of RL analysis has always been incredibly poor and it's as bad as its ever been right now.
I cottoned on that the rugba loig analyst fraternity were completely fraudulent back in 2012ish when Nine were spruiking McCrone as an origin Smokey.

This was happening at the same time as McCrone, bless him, was becoming a living metaphor amongst raiders fans for slapstick level incompetence in the halves.

It became clear to me at that time that many of these so called experts don’t watch games in preparation at all. Maybe a quick highlights reel at best.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 23, 2022, 9:17 pm

I cottoned on that the rugba loig analyst fraternity were completely fraudulent back in 2012ish when Nine were spruiking McCrone as an origin Smokey.

This was happening at the same time as McCrone, bless him, was becoming a living metaphor amongst raiders fans for slapstick level incompetence in the halves.

It became clear to me at that time that many of these so called experts don’t watch games in preparation at all. Maybe a quick highlights reel at best.
Analysts jobs across all media, print, radio, tv, in RL is a ponzi scheme for the games biggest names to keep collecting a cheque for absolutely no investment of effort or time.
It's a real job for the boys network. They dont put the time in. Im sure they'd be better if they did, but it's clear they dont. And as a result 99% of what they've got to say it completely and totally worthless.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Cronk also sat there in the post game and after the TWO previous panelists asked what Ricky said at half time- he looked at his sheet and asked the same exact question...

Maybe he has great insights away from the camera's but he doesn't exactly go beyond poorly researched talking points given to him on air.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Botman wrote: July 23, 2022, 9:26 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: July 23, 2022, 9:17 pm

Analysts jobs across all media, print, radio, tv, in RL is a ponzi scheme for the games biggest names to keep collecting a cheque for absolutely no investment of effort or time.
It's a real job for the boys network. They dont put the time in. Im sure they'd be better if they did, but it's clear they dont. And as a result 99% of what they've got to say it completely and totally worthless.
Also worth noting that a lot of them are friendly with the players, so they refuse to be critical.

There are exceptions, but not many.

I think the employers should take a lot of the blame. There’s no quality control in commentary these days, there’s no way they’re bringing the best they can out of guys like Andrew Johns and Cooper Cronk. Kerry Packer was known to call meetings with commentators directly and to call the station during live broadcasts to tell his staff to pull their heads in.

Johns carries on as though forward passes don’t exist and constantly bashes the officials and the state of the game. It’s nauseating.

Cronk just cannot stop talking and over-commentating like his entire audience are blind.

There’s a very important piece of advice that Richie Benaud would give fellow cricket commentators. Something along the lines of “if you can’t add value to the product, let the product do the talking”.

You couldn’t count the number of times this advice would be applicable to league commentators, mainly the supporting ones who think they have to prove their worth by breaking word count records.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I find the way RL games are commentated to be pretty annoying if im honest
For games that are very stop start, the over analysis is something that has to come, just to fill space

But for a free flowing game, and you're a tv commentator, so you expect people are watching (different to radio), yes! If you're not giving the view something worth knowing, shut up. RL TV broadcasting could take a leaf out of World Soccer's book and accept that having a few seconds of silence to let a free flowing game breathe is perfectly fine.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 23, 2022, 4:27 pm
The Greenhouse wrote:57th min Savage really is in trouble out there.
Death riding the kid!!

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
No it wasn’t. He was injured 13 minutes into the second half. He did well to stay on.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ugly scenes there
Telling. But ugly.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Botman wrote: July 23, 2022, 9:52 pm I find the way RL games are commentated to be pretty annoying if im honest
For games that are very stop start, the over analysis is something that has to come, just to fill space

But for a free flowing game, and you're a tv commentator, so you expect people are watching (different to radio), yes! If you're not giving the view something worth knowing, shut up. RL TV broadcasting could take a leaf out of World Soccer's book and accept that having a few seconds of silence to let a free flowing game breathe is perfectly fine.
I’m seeing a bit of the Tony Romo syndrome creeping in whereby the RL commentators are predicting tries in the next set or next tackle.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: July 23, 2022, 5:12 pm I’d say the biggest obstacle to making the 8 from here will be Ricky’s ego.

Literally every player he ordains as captain has crashed and flamed out performance wise…

Hopefully he can see and smell the flames with Whitehead early enough to allow our youngsters to play some finals football this season….and I’d happily rate that as a pass mark for the season given how we started and how we’ve managed to blood a lot of new players..

One can only hope.
I guess the definition of crashing and flaming out includes making the grand final and preliminary finals…

Seriously…
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

at half time they seemed to decide they didn't have to score on the first half break, and could trust the other blokes to have a go on the next play.

Hoppa was great too for a debut kid. Well done to him.

We are really going to miss Adam Elliot next year. And also Sutton. Hopefully the depth coming through can fill that double void.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

It genuinely felt like two different Raiders teams played the game today.

First half was nothing short of diabolical.

Second half was much better. Jack clearly calmed down and took a few deep breaths.

We came up with the two points and that's the important thing.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Yes this was funny. I'm sure they just say rugba leeg words and are pretty happy if the words form sentences
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

I've heard Stuart say he loves the club, but I've never heard him suggest he is bigger than the club, or that the club would suffer without him.

No one should hold him accountable for what those other talking heads say. As per your first paragraph - it's often completely divorced from reality.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Boomercm wrote: July 23, 2022, 10:48 pm

I've heard Stuart say he loves the club, but I've never heard him suggest he is bigger than the club, or that the club would suffer without him.

No one should hold him accountable for what those other talking heads say. As per your first paragraph - it's often completely divorced from reality.
I wasn’t holding the coach accountable for that. I was holding the commentators accountable for that.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

mick63 wrote: July 23, 2022, 10:34 pm
Botman wrote: July 23, 2022, 9:52 pm I find the way RL games are commentated to be pretty annoying if im honest

I’m seeing a bit of the Tony Romo syndrome creeping in whereby the RL commentators are predicting tries in the next set or next tackle.
I'd settle for a Tony Romo at this point
He might get over is skiis a bit at times with the predicting plays in advanced but there is no question he's putting in the work, studying the game, understands the nuances of it and brings enthusasim and energy to his broadcasting
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

quite often I say words at the tv and within 3 seconds I hear them come back at me. Possibly the tv people are on a delay from my brain... possibly.

However, at least the only person I am annoying is Ms Bon.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

mick63 wrote: July 23, 2022, 10:34 pm

well to be fair at the game today we predicted the first two tries before they happened... that's called knowing your product.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Lui_Bon wrote: July 23, 2022, 10:59 pm

quite often I say words at the tv and within 3 seconds I hear them come back at me. Possibly the tv people are on a delay from my brain... possibly.

No. Its just you telling yourself something that you dont need to hear from the broadcast team. Im sure every reasonably knowledgable RL fan has the same experience. I do. Until i remember to mute the bums
They're not telling you anything you dont already now. Worthless.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Botman wrote: July 23, 2022, 11:03 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: July 23, 2022, 10:59 pm

No. Its just you telling yourself something that you dont need to hear from the broadcast team. Im sure every reasonably knowledgable RL fan has the same experience. I do. Until i remember to mute the bums
They're not telling you anything you dont already now. Worthless.
Kind of you to say so. Though I did mean the exact words (btw I can do that with Roy and HG too - I believe it's just many many years of pointless experience). I guess my rhetorical point is, if a nuffy like Dan Ginnane can get a job talking blather, why can't we?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Would be nice if there was commentary options.

Silence
Just the noise from a mic at the ground
Just necessary facts - Try scores, ref decisions etc.
The rubbish that is today’s commentary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2022, 10:38 pm
GreenMachine wrote: July 23, 2022, 5:12 pm I’d say the biggest obstacle to making the 8 from here will be Ricky’s ego.

Literally every player he ordains as captain has crashed and flamed out performance wise…

Hopefully he can see and smell the flames with Whitehead early enough to allow our youngsters to play some finals football this season….and I’d happily rate that as a pass mark for the season given how we started and how we’ve managed to blood a lot of new players..

One can only hope.
I guess the definition of crashing and flaming out includes making the grand final and preliminary finals…

Seriously…
Are you living in a loop?
It’s 2022…
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: July 23, 2022, 11:38 pm

One can only hope.

Seriously…
It’s 2022…
Literally every player he ordains as captain has crashed and flamed out performance wise.

That’s what you said. Have a look at the records.

A strange loop is popular these days, but I’m still struggling to understand it.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2022, 11:46 pm

One can only hope.

Seriously…
It’s 2022…
Literally every player he ordains as captain has crashed and flamed out performance wise.

A strange loop is popular these days, but I’m still struggling to understand it.
Campo
Croker
Hodgson
Whitehead

Ricky seems to name players as captains when they are well past their best and Not the best option for the team..

Not sure why your struggling so much with this..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: July 23, 2022, 11:53 pm

One can only hope.

Seriously…
It’s 2022…

Campo
Croker
Hodgson
Whitehead

Ricky seems to name players as captains when they are well past their best and Not the best option for the team..

Go back and look at when those players were named captains. I don’t even have to check. Croker and Hodgson led the team onto the field in the 2019 Grand Final. Terry Campese was named captain under David Furner as coach. It’s ridiculous.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2022, 11:57 pm

Seriously…
It’s 2022…

Campo
Croker
Hodgson
Whitehead

Go back and look at when those players were named captains. I don’t even have to check. Croker and Hodgson led the team onto the field in the 2019 Grand Final. Terry Campese was named captain under David Furner as coach. It’s ridiculous.
Go back and look at their tenure as captain…pretty much on the downward spiral washed side of their careers…

It’s ridiculous.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

And you completely ignore that Josh Papalli was the best player in our team across the Hodgson/Croker era…easily our best option for captain and arguably would still be captain ahead of Whitehead…

Tapine and even Wighton (who I have a problem with as a half) are better leaders than Whitehead TODAY….but Ricky can’t get out of his own way when it comes to Whitehead…which will end up costing us..

Like I said…in a loop.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: July 24, 2022, 12:00 am
It’s 2022…

Campo
Croker
Hodgson
Whitehead

Go back and look at their tenure as captain…pretty much on the downward spiral washed side of their careers…

It’s ridiculous.
It is indeed ridiculous. Jarrod Croker was named captain at age 24 and had six seasons of very good football before leading the Raiders onto the field in 5he 2918 Grand Final. And then some. I mean, honestly…
greeneyed
Don Furner

2022 Rd 19 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: July 24, 2022, 12:03 am And you completely ignore that Josh Papalli was the best player in our team across the Hodgson/Croker era…easily our best option for captain and arguably would still be captain ahead of Whitehead…

Tapine and even Wighton (who I have a problem with as a half) are better leaders than Whitehead TODAY….but Ricky can’t get out of his own way when it comes to Whitehead…which will end up costing us..

Like I said…in a loop.
Where does Papalii come in? He’s never been named captain.

Campese was named captain by David Furner.

Croker and Hodgson led the Raiders to a Grand Final as captains.

You have an issue with Elliott Whitehead as captain. Why not just say that?

But, yes, a strange loop is a bit mind bending.

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2022, 12:08 am

Campo
Croker
Hodgson
Whitehead

It’s ridiculous.
It is indeed ridiculous. Jarrod Croker was named captain at age 24 and had six seasons of very good football before leading the Raiders onto the field in 5he 2918 Grand Final. And then some. I mean, honestly…
😂6 seasons Of good goal kicking… don’t exaggerate
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: July 24, 2022, 12:36 am
greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2022, 12:08 am

Campo
Croker
Hodgson
Whitehead

It’s ridiculous.
😂6 seasons Of good goal kicking… don’t exaggerate
That speaks volumes. Let’s move on.
HoraceBigCigar
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

Botman wrote: July 23, 2022, 4:29 pm I dont want to hear a god damn soul tell me this guy shouldnt be our starting 2nd rower
James Brown thinks he is a great “come on at the right time and carve it up” player more than a “start and play 80 minutes” player. Unfortunately uncle Stick in da Mud doesn’t use him well or enough.