Don Furner

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Don Furner

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

This is our esteemed CEO, who is rushing to sign Stuart, who's coach of a team that won't make the finals again and tracking to finish 10th-11th two years in a row.

EDIT doesn't get enough criticism or reviews for his inept leadership. The Chairman and the board should stand down too.

EDIT that signed Croker to a four year extension and Whitehead to three.
T_R
Don Furner

Re: Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Absolutely unfair. He was the best possible option among immediate family members of Don Furner Snr, at least after wife Marian refused the role, and I think we all know that rugby league clubs are traditionally handed down from father to son.

Thank goodness we had a coaching gig to give the other brother, so he didn't feel left out.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

T_R wrote: July 4, 2022, 5:27 am Absolutely unfair. He was the best possible option among immediate family members of Don Furner Snr, at least after wife Marian refused the role, and I think we all know that rugby league clubs are traditionally handed down from father to son.

Thank goodness we had a coaching gig to give the other brother, so he didn't feel left out.
I'm just waiting for a narrative around the prodigal son David returning as head coach. Biblical.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Is this the bloke responsible for the Croker, Whitehead and soon-to-be Ricky extensions?

Yeah, sack him.
Up The Milk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

We are a meme of a club...unless success falls in our lap you can forget it.
The sooner you accept it the better for your blood pressure...
Nothing about our fabric suggests we ever want to take deliberate steps to be successful.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

GreenMachine wrote: July 4, 2022, 9:27 am We are a meme of a club...unless success falls in our lap you can forget it.
The sooner you accept it the better for your blood pressure...
Nothing about our fabric suggests we ever want to take deliberate steps to be successful.
I agree, our football clubs sinks lower and lower every single day
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Allow me to be the one to say the things that no one wants to hear but...

Stuart has complete control of the roster and always at least since leaving the Roosters (i think Gould was pretty hands on at the beginning of that but as their relationship deteriorate, he stepped back and let Stuart hang himself with loyalty to veteran players who'd done the job for him before... huh... funny that isnt it?). Croker and Whitehead are signed to the deals they are because Stuart agreed to those deals. If you're angry about the state of the roster, that's on Stuart

The coaching decisions are made by the board, the CEO doesn't make those calls, he executes the direction given to him by the board. If Stuart is extended it will be because the board made the decision to do that, not the CEO. That is fairly typical across most football clubs. If you're angry about the looming extension for the underperforming coach, that's on the board.

But carry on!
Psst... i actually think and have for years thought a change in CEO is probably due, i've outlined before things that were a disaster and were directly in DFJ's primary responsibilities. He's been the CEO for a long time and the list of reasons to want to turf him is extensive, but if nothing else, i think unless you're having wild levels of success, a change in organisational leadership is required every so often just to bring fresh eyes and perspective to the job. So i wouldnt have any problems if we sacked him. But hot tip, he's not going anywhere. And nor is the coach.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: July 4, 2022, 10:34 am Allow me to be the one to say the things that no one wants to hear but...

Stuart has complete control of the roster and always at least since leaving the Roosters (i think Gould was pretty hands on at the beginning of that but as their relationship deteriorate, he stepped back and let Stuart hang himself with loyalty to veteran players who'd done the job for him before... huh... funny that isnt it?). Croker and Whitehead are signed to the deals they are because Stuart agreed to those deals. If you're angry about the state of the roster, that's on Stuart

The coaching decisions are made by the board, the CEO doesn't make those calls, he executes the direction given to him by the board. If Stuart is extended it will be because the board made the decision to do that, not the CEO. That is fairly typical across most football clubs. If you're angry about the looming extension for the underperforming coach, that's on the board.

But carry on!
Psst... i actually think and have for years thought a change in CEO is probably due, i've outlined before things that were a disaster and were directly in DFJ's primary responsibilities. He's been the CEO for a long time and the list of reasons to want to turf him is extensive, but if nothing else, i think unless you're having wild levels of success, a change in organisational leadership is required every so often just to bring fresh eyes and perspective to the job. So i wouldnt have any problems if we sacked him. But hot tip, he's not going anywhere. And nor is the coach.
So Don does and is accountable for nothing? Sounds about right.

A CEO should absolutely be balancing the books on the salary cap and challenging recruitment and retention decisions. If he has delegated that down to Sticky then he truly is a waste of space.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No not nothing. The Canberra raiders is a very large business that has a sizeable corporate component, and football operations outside of the NRL roster

He’s got quite a lot on his plate and the lack of success the club has had as a whole for many years he’s got his prints all over

But the board make the coaching decisions and as soon as Stuart walked through those doors, his role in the roster decisions for the NRL team were handed to Stuart
It wasn’t a delegation. More a (not so) hostile takeover
Stuart won’t coach a footy team unless he’s got the authority to craft the roster as he sees fit
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: July 4, 2022, 10:47 am No not nothing. The Canberra raiders is a very large business that has a sizeable corporate component, and football operations outside of the NRL roster

He’s got quite a lot on his plate and the lack of success the club has had as a whole for many years he’s got his prints all over

But the board make the coaching decisions and as soon as Stuart walked through those doors, his role in the roster decisions for the NRL team were handed to Stuart
Stuart won’t coach a footy team unless he’s got the authority to craft the roster as he sees fit
I'm not sure how Botman Inc operates, but this sounds like a horrendous abrogation of responsibility to me.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: July 4, 2022, 10:47 am No not nothing. The Canberra raiders is a very large business that has a sizeable corporate component, and football operations outside of the NRL roster

Stick should certainly have a strong input. But the CEO should be there to nix deals like Croker and Whitehead that put all the risk on the club. Nobody was head hunting these two players and we re-signed both into their mid-30s at well above their market rate. I think we start to see the problem with Raiders HQ - nobody takes ownership or responsibility for these decisions. They just happen and we deal with the fallout.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on July 4, 2022, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 4, 2022, 10:41 am
Botman wrote: July 4, 2022, 10:34 am Allow me to be the one to say the things that no one wants to hear but...

But carry on!

A CEO should absolutely be balancing the books on the salary cap and challenging recruitment and retention decisions. If he has delegated that down to Sticky then he truly is a waste of space.
Bit of a strawman argument there. Because the coach is responsible for roster decisions doesn't mean the CEO is accountable for nothing. It simply means the CEO isn't responsible for those roster decisions. Can't think of any examples or evidence that DFJ is making roster decisions contrary to what Stuart wants.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 4, 2022, 10:52 am

I'm not sure how Botman Inc operates, but this sounds like a horrendous abrogation of responsibility to me.
Yeah may be. I’m not telling you if this structure is right or wrong (our results tell a pretty good tale about that)

I’m just telling you that the roster is Stuart’s and the decision on Stuart is made by the board. And those are the two key issues highlighted in this thread
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Northern Raider wrote: July 4, 2022, 10:52 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 4, 2022, 10:41 am

But carry on!

Bit of a strawman argument there. Because the coach is responsible for roster decisions doesn't mean the CEO is accountable for nothing. It simply means the CEO isn't responsible for those roster decisions. Can't think of any examples or evidence that DFJ is making roster decisions contrary to what Stuart wants.
Yeah but we also have a Chief Operating Officer - who I assume would be accountable for game day management and a whole host of operational tasks.

CEO is surely responsible for risk management. It would make complete sense that he does some analysis of our roster through that lens.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'm relatively certain Botman Inc operates exactly how both you and I imagine it would operate.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: July 4, 2022, 10:57 am

Yeah may be. I’m not telling you if this structure is right or wrong (our results tell a pretty good tale about that)

I’m just telling you that the roster is Stuart’s and the decision on Stuart is made by the board. And those are the two key issues highlighted in this thread
If you looking at the execution page of the player's contracts, I am pretty sure the Raiders representative would be printed as "Donald Furner Junior" or else a delegate on his behalf, with his signature scribbled above.

I get what you are saying about Ricky having control over who he wants, but no one apart from DFJ can be held ultimately responsible for having Whitehead and Croker on inflated lengthy contracts putting us in salary cap trouble for years to come.

And if Ricky is dictating to DFJ the terms of players contracts, and telling him to overpay has been veterans, then this club is even more cooked than I thought.
Up The Milk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Who does the board replace him with?

I completely understand the need to sack people at the end of a disappointing season, but I really don't think anyone here actually knows what DFJ is responsible for regarding our on-field performances.

Not saying DFJ has done a good job or not. I have no idea, but the club is clearly in a good financial position, the junior pathways are again delivering some good results and we now have world class training facilities. We also now have a WNRL team starting. Off the park, and other than our first grade team, the club is doing well.

Stuart is really the guy that should be under enormous pressure.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on July 4, 2022, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yup. Stuart needs to go, I have absolutely no problem with Donny Junior.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Given how bad those Croker and Whitehead contracts are, do you think a man who has spent a career blaming anyone else for his failures and not being accountable wouldn’t jump at the chance to put those deals on someone else publicly if he could get away it?

If those were Furner deals that he did without Stuart being heavily involved in agreeing too, he’d already be sacked :lol:

This is what Stuart has done his entire career, every coaching stop he has, bar parra lol, has been dogged by loyalty to his veterans players

The best criticism for DFJ here is as Ron said, his inability to challenge and influence Stuart on some of these bad calls
But then we know Stuart is famous for his stubbornness and his belief in him being smarter than everyone else

The reality is DFJ could quit today. Right now. And the Stuart extension would march on uninterrupted and things like the whitehead deal will keep happening
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:11 am If you looking at the execution page of the player's contracts, I am pretty sure the Raiders representative would be printed as "Donald Furner Junior" or else a delegate on his behalf, with his signature scribbled above.

I get what you are saying about Ricky having control over who he wants, but no one apart from DFJ can be held ultimately responsible for having Whitehead and Croker on inflated lengthy contracts putting us in salary cap trouble for years to come.

And if Ricky is dictating to DFJ the terms of players contracts, and telling him to overpay has been veterans, then this club is even more cooked than I thought.
Full terms? No, not to my understanding, there is a bunch of contract minutiae that Stuart cant hope to know nor does he care about them. That's why DFJ will be the man drawing up and executing the contracts... but in terms of the broad stuff, the years and money... to paraphrase your own words - this club is even more cooked than you thought.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:18 am Given how bad those Croker and Whitehead contracts are, do you think a man who has spent a career blaming anyone else for his failures and not being accountable wouldn’t jump at the chance to put those deals on someone else publicly if he could get away it?

If those were Furner deals that he did without Stuart being heavily involved in agreeing too, he’d already be sacked :lol:

This is what Stuart has done his entire career, every coaching stop he has, bar parra lol, has been dogged by loyalty to his veterans players

The best criticism for DFJ here is as Ron said, his inability to challenge and influence Stuart on some of these bad calls
But then we know Stuart is famous for his stubbornness and his belief in him being smarter than everyone else

The reality is DFJ could quit today. Right now. And the Stuart extension would march on uninterrupted and things like the whitehead deal will keep happening
Largely agree he has nothing to do with the Coach. But Don Furner will also report to that board as the man on the ground. His recommendations, you'd hope, would hold some weight.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

#claytonsCEO

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:31 am
Botman wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:18 am Given how bad those Croker and Whitehead contracts are, do you think a man who has spent a career blaming anyone else for his failures and not being accountable wouldn’t jump at the chance to put those deals on someone else publicly if he could get away it?

Largely agree. But Don Furner will also report to that board as the man on the ground. His recommendations, you'd hope, would hold some weight.
He's well respected by the QBN Mafia, he wouldn't have lasted this long as CEO if they didn't think he was the man for the job and his voice would certainly carry some weight... enough that if he stormed in there and said they should sack Stuart, that they'd do it? No chance. Stuart is the prodigal son for the QBN Mafia, if the DFJ - Stuart relationship ever soured, DFJ would go first.

Besides as far as Stuart and DFJ are concerned, they've been best mates since they were kids. All reports indicate they've got a very good, happy and healthy working relationship and each are happy with their roles. No one, least of all DFJ, is rocking the boat on this.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ultimately the coaching appointment is up to the board.

Either way, Stuart will be managed into a different off-field role if the board thinks the club needs a change of coach.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:42 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:31 am

Largely agree. But Don Furner will also report to that board as the man on the ground. His recommendations, you'd hope, would hold some weight.
He's well respected by the QBN Mafia, he wouldn't have lasted this long as CEO if they didn't think he was the man for the job and his voice would certainly carry some weight... enough that if he stormed in there and said they should sack Stuart, that they'd do it? No chance. Stuart is the prodigal son for the QBN Mafia, if the DFJ - Stuart relationship ever soured, DFJ would go first.

Besides as far as Stuart and DFJ are concerned, they've been best mates since they were kids. All reports indicate they've got a very good, happy and healthy working relationship and each are happy with their roles. No one, least of all DFJ, is rocking the boat on this.
Therein lies the problem, nobody has rocked the boat at the Raiders for the past twenty years. Our definition of brave is sacking a coach with a 43% win percentage over 5 seasons.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Is there a yawn emoji?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

These are the Canberra Raiders' board members. God help us.

Canberra Raiders Board of Directors

Chairman

Dr Allan Hawke AC, FAIPA, FAIM, FAICD
Current
Director, Datacom
Director, Icon Water
Director, Lockheed Martin Australia
Member of the CEDA Board of Governors
President of ACT Barnados
Previously
Chancellor, Australian National University Australian High Commissioner to New Zealand
Secretary, Department of Defence
Deputy Secretary, Prime Minister and Cabinet

Directors

Mr Dennis Richardson AC
Current
Board of Directors: Linfox; National Capital Authority; Vault; Australian Wildlife Conservacy.
Chair: Starflight Victoria.
Previously
Secretary, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Secretary, Department of Defence
Australian Ambassador to the USA
Director General, ASIO

Mr Paul Powderly
Current
State Chief Executive, Colliers-International
National Director, Colliers-International
President of the Australian Property Institute
Previously
State Director, Consultancy and Valuations at Colliers International

Mr Terry Weber
Current
Managing Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers ACT
Chairman, National Capital Authority
Board Member, Ricky Stuart Foundation
Previously
CEO, United Group Services
Lead Partner, Business Process Outsourcing Global Practice PWC

Mrs Yvonne Gillett
Previously
CFO, Raiders Trading Group

Ms Bronwyn Fagan
Current
Principal Advisor, Proximity Legal
Previously
Chief Operating Officer, Vice President Legal and Strategy CMAX Advisory
Special Counsel - Russell Kennedy Lawyers
Director Legal Services - Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority
Corporate Counsel, Essential Energy

Katrina Fanning
Current
ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elected Body (Chairperson) Australian Rugby League Indigenous Council (Chairperson)
Australia and New Zealand Indigenous Women in Business Leadership Network (Board Member)
Director Coolamon Advisors
Previous
General Manager – Strategy, Innovation and people, Aboriginal Hostels Ltd
General Manager Operations – Aboriginal Hostels Ltd
Project Manager – Indigenous Programs and relationships, Community services directorate, ACT Government

Patron Mr John McIntyre
Current
Chairman, Queanbeyan Leagues Club
Chairman, Canberra District Rugby League
Previously
CEO, Canberra Raiders
CEO, Federal Department of Transport
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Pretty impressive.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

There are some very highly respected and extremely talented people on that board. It puzzles me why we aren’t going better than we are. I would like to see some of the same corporate standards these board members hold staff to in their other roles applied at the raiders.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Are their eyes painted on

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

I get tired of the constant pitchfork stuff

Understanding what the scope and responsibilities of the CEO role are critical before throwing stones.

Our club is in a fantastic position financially, and the fact we leapfrogged clubs to get the Valkyries established for 2023 are absolutely massive wins if you can see beyond our completion rates on a Sunday arvo.

Our management is strong. Our on-field performances have not been, and those unfortunately are attributed to Ricky, who is currently deflecting to the refs.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Hey Nachopants - do you think the board giving Ricky another contract extension is good for the team, fair and reasonable, or ill-advised ?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

As TR suggested in another thread and as i said here
The Canberra Raiders are a QBN vanity project, and a relatively small part of the operations going on, and those that run the club and elect the board are far more interested in pokie revenue and licensing laws than they are about whether Ricky Stuart is wasting a bench spot on an outside back who plays 5-10 minutes
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 7, 2022, 6:14 pm Hey Nachopants - do you think the board giving Ricky another contract extension is good for the team, fair and reasonable, or ill-advised ?
I thinks it's reasonable to give him the opportunity to rebuild the squad.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Riaan wrote: July 7, 2022, 7:14 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 7, 2022, 6:14 pm Hey Nachopants - do you think the board giving Ricky another contract extension is good for the team, fair and reasonable, or ill-advised ?
I thinks it's reasonable to give him the opportunity to rebuild the squad.
Is this for real?

Most coaches get 1 rebuild.

Why does Ricky get 3+ rebuilds without having won anything?
Up The Milk