2022 State of Origin III: Maroons V Blues

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Maroons 13+
17%
Maroons 1-12
50%
Blues 1-12
17%
Blues 13+
17%

Total votes: 6

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 State of Origin III: Maroons V Blues

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:21 am
greeneyed wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:19 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:07 am
greeneyed wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:05 am
BJ wrote: July 13, 2022, 11:07 pm No wonder fellow media teammates have issues with Andrew Johns when he’s in a bad mood.

He was absolutely childish in that post game show. That’s not how media personality’s should react.
Yes no wonder. Yes he was. And no it’s not.
All for manufactured headlines - you’re better than that…. Surely?
What makes you think you have any right to make that comment?
Evidence - https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bulls ... fa1167c094

News.com.au and Ch9 same stable and I’m betting Joey won’t be sacked from 9 for his antics. Wanna bet against me on that?
You’ve entirely missed the actual point.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:25 am
greeneyed wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:05 am

Yes no wonder. Yes he was. And no it’s not.

News.com.au and Ch9 same stable and I’m betting Joey won’t be sacked from 9 for his antics. Wanna bet against me on that?
The point that regardless of who won Ch9 had someone lined up to create a story to create clicks and sell papers? Welcome to 2022…. Lockyer dangling from Perth stadium after a loss, Gallen packing the QLD bus - all WWE level stuff. You seriously telling me you don’t realise it would be Fatty or a QLD stooge making the exact same comments for the exact same reason if NSW got up?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Missing the point big time.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:36 am Missing the point big time.
Failing to state what your point is bigger time. You’re being very Erin Molanish about your Joey views - alluding there is an issue bur not really being clear about what it might be. Let me hear it brother……
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Billy Walker wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:30 am

The point that regardless of who won Ch9 had someone lined up to create a story to create clicks and sell papers? Welcome to 2022…. Lockyer dangling from Perth stadium after a loss, Gallen packing the QLD bus - all WWE level stuff. You seriously telling me you don’t realise it would be Fatty or a QLD stooge making the exact same comments for the exact same reason if NSW got up?
My guess is that it wasnt staged. I think.John's just acted on pure emotion. His mate lost a series that he should have won because he can't coach- thats all. Emotion got the better of him.

He didn't offend anyone. Have a comment.. laught and move on. Maybe ppl like actually watch their footy shows as opposed to sticking with Fox.

Good theatre.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

benda wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:44 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:30 am

My guess is that it wasnt staged. I think.John's just acted on pure emotion. His mate lost a series that he should have won because he can't coach- thats all. Emotion got the better of him.

He didn't offend anyone. Have a comment.. laught and move on. Maybe ppl like actually watch their footy shows as opposed to sticking with Fox.

Good theatre.
You know WWE isn’t real right?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

This was on Freddy’s selections more than anything else. Crighton over Wighton, Tupou over Addo-Carr, and leaving Jake Trb out of origin I. Bizarre decisions that had a huge influence on the series result.

A couple of other thoughts - not sure I’m buying that Billy Slater is suddenly a master coach. And good for Ben Hunt having that runaway try at the end - he’ll forever be known for gifting the 2015 GF to the Cowboys, so moments like tonight will ease that burden if only just slightly.

Finally, Valentine Holmes was my pick for player of the series.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

the bone wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:57 am This was on Freddy’s selections more than anything else. Crighton over Wighton, Tupou over Addo-Carr, and leaving Jake Trb out of origin I. Bizarre decisions that had a huge influence on the series result.

A couple of other thoughts - not sure I’m buying that Billy Slater is suddenly a master coach. And good for Ben Hunt having that runaway try at the end - he’ll forever be known for gifting the 2015 GF to the Cowboys, so moments like tonight will ease that burden if only just slightly.

Geeeez bone - want any chips with all that salt?
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Scared Hitless wrote: July 13, 2022, 10:36 pm
gergreg wrote:Congratulations Qld. You could see the game slipping away from the moment Tupou made that terrible error just before half-time. Fittler loses the unloseable, again.
Completely agree. Fittler has managed to win and lose series against some pretty average QLD squads. I'm not sure which says more about his coaching ability.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
Also beaten by a rookie coach
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

That should be Freddys last game , he has lost 2 series that were his to win.
The game itself , bar the result was a cracker.
This is how rugby League should be played and controlled. Few 6 agains , few penalties other than the obvious ones , only if he NRL was controlled this way.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Congratulations on your one-year dynasty New South Wales

#ontheedgeofgreatness
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What a great game of Rugbrugh Leeg.

Imagine the difference Jack would have made last night.

That imposter standing at right centre caught cold.

Shame Shame Shame on team selections Freddy.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:That should be Freddys last game , he has lost 2 series that were his to win.
This is how rugby League should be played and controlled. Few 6 agains , few penalties other than the obvious ones , only if he NRL was controlled this way.
If NRL is played this way it gets exploited in a week on week comp.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

benda wrote: July 13, 2022, 11:52 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 13, 2022, 11:40 pm Interesting press conference with Billy Slater, speaking about all players knowing their roles in the team, even with the disruptions with Munster and Murray Tuilagi pulling out, then two off in the first half.

Very much like the Melbourne Storm system - it's the system that works.

We need coaching like that.

Billy just sounds smarter than Fittler
Exactly what I was thinking. Slater clearly understands what he needs to connect emotionally and tactically. We can even see him nodding his head when CE was talking in the press conference.

Expectations were really clear. Qld on paper are nowhere close to NSW; Slater knowing how to handle end to end coaching was the difference.

Clearly Panthers Incorporated controls who plays for NSW and how. And Clearly will be a great but he isnt a coach just yet.

Excluding Wighton is an example
Yeah Fittler should get the sack imo if he's allowing these Panthers players run the team. QLD would never omit their best player from game one after only missing game two due to the game's rules on covid.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sid wrote: July 13, 2022, 8:17 pm Disgusting of Luai to stand over Cobbo cheering, you never know at that point how bad the damage is

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Would've loved to have seen Papa just lay him out. Quickest Papalii moved all night to get to him too. Absolute grub.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: July 13, 2022, 10:54 pm
Botman wrote: July 13, 2022, 10:46 pm The referee refusal to make the right call and decide the game actually helped decide the game!

And the best team won. Do we hand wave it and say the result was right?
What a weird situation our code is in.
Which right call?
The Tino hit is a sin bin in any other game bar SOO, and maybe a send off if the ref is in the right kind of mood

And when Gagai goes out of his way to hit a bloke off the ball and then start a fight by throwing punches, to me that’s a straight send off… Tino could have been sin binned again in that exchange for being the 3rd man in

But all in all I thought qld were the better team and deserved to win
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: July 14, 2022, 12:57 am This was on Freddy’s selections more than anything else. Crighton over Wighton, Tupou over Addo-Carr, and leaving Jake Trb out of origin I. Bizarre decisions that had a huge influence on the series result.

Agreed on the selections and I don’t think slater is some master coach (though he may be!) but he was very impressive all series long and absolutely coached rings around Fittler

You swap the coaches and there is no doubt in my mind the result is different. He’ll have the pick of the jobs coming open in the next few years. Which ever one he wants (if any), he’ll get
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Freddy about as good at selection as Stuart
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Filter's hubris costs NSW again...
Scratch this down as another year where NSW seemingly have a better team on paper yet lose the series...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:
BJ wrote: July 13, 2022, 11:07 pm No wonder fellow media teammates have issues with Andrew Johns when he’s in a bad mood.

He was absolutely childish in that post game show. That’s not how media personality’s should react.
All theatrics mate - don’t get sucked in by the manufacturered drama
I’ve seen Joey Johns’ acting on the Footy Show, he’s not that good an actor. Image

You may be right, but it looked more like a genuine sulk to me.

BTW, It’s not only Erin Molan who’s complained about Joey when he doesn’t get his way. You should hear from some of the crew members (note that’s second hand news given to me from a Camera man who regularly works for Nine, but he’s not the gossipy type).
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: July 14, 2022, 2:17 am That should be Freddys last game , he has lost 2 series that were his to win.
Yeah, what a shock that such a great product can be dished up to spectators when players are the ones deciding a result.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: July 14, 2022, 7:55 am
Botman wrote: July 13, 2022, 10:46 pm The referee refusal to make the right call and decide the game actually helped decide the game!

Which right call?
The Tino hit is a sin bin in any other game bar SOO, and maybe a send off if the ref is in the right kind of mood

And when Gagai goes out of his way to hit a bloke off the ball and then start a fight by throwing punches, to me that’s a straight send off… Tino could have been sin binned again in that exchange for being the 3rd man in

You are probably right that the Tino hit is a bin in a regular NRL game but to me the handling last night is how it should be. I don't believe it was deliberate, his palms were open (no clenched fist like most intentional swinging arms) and the bloke he hit was probably less than 1m off the ground. To me that is a penalty and on report and should be at all levels.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:

Which right call?

I thought Burton started it, knocked ponga over then when gagai returned the favour he got up mouthing at gagai, gagai shaped up and Burton went at him probably expecting a shirt fronting rather than a face full of fists

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: July 14, 2022, 8:59 am Filter's hubris costs NSW again...
Scratch this down as another year where NSW seemingly have a better team on paper yet lose the series...
Not the first time during Freddy's tenure.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: July 14, 2022, 9:36 am
Botman wrote:

Which right call?

I thought Burton started it, knocked ponga over then when gagai returned the favour he got up mouthing at gagai, gagai shaped up and Burton went at him probably expecting a shirt fronting rather than a face full of fists

There's a very creative narrative in play trying to paint Burton as the victim here.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Billy Walker wrote: July 14, 2022, 1:01 am

Geeeez bone - want any chips with all that salt?
Which part was salty? I didn’t think I was being salty at all.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Scared Hitless wrote: July 13, 2022, 10:36 pm
gergreg wrote:Congratulations Qld. You could see the game slipping away from the moment Tupou made that terrible error just before half-time. Fittler loses the unloseable, again.
Completely agree. Fittler has managed to win and lose series against some pretty average QLD squads. I'm not sure which says more about his coaching ability.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
It's not hard to coach the team when Latrell, Turbo, and Teddy and all firing. Fittler is terrible.

Talakai over Jack was one of the all time poor selections. Dally M, Clive Churchill, best player in game 1 (took the toughest carries) in a losing side - left out for a journeyman who has had one month of good footy in a career.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2022, 9:41 am
bonehead wrote: July 14, 2022, 9:36 am
Botman wrote:

Which right call?

There's a very creative narrative in play trying to paint Burton as the victim here.
Burton had eyes on ball. Didn't hit ponga deliberately. Actually looked back and apologised.

He did chase down Gagai - which was his part in instigating. I guess you could give him 10 for that.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: July 14, 2022, 9:33 am
Botman wrote: July 14, 2022, 7:55 am

Which right call?

You are probably right that the Tino hit is a bin in a regular NRL game but to me the handling last night is how it should be. I don't believe it was deliberate, his palms were open (no clenched fist like most intentional swinging arms) and the bloke he hit was probably less than 1m off the ground. To me that is a penalty and on report and should be at all levels.
Agreed 100% about how that ruling is how it should be
It’s the way they so clearly and deliberately referee games differently in origin that gets me annoyed
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Wiki Special wrote: July 14, 2022, 9:28 am
LimeGreenMachine wrote: July 14, 2022, 2:17 am That should be Freddys last game , he has lost 2 series that were his to win.
Yeah, what a shock that such a great product can be dished up to spectators when players are the ones deciding a result.
If it is controlled this way all of the time, coaches/teams take advantage and the game turns into a mess.

What we have is a game that ebbs and flows. The game is over referee'd in some parts of the year, but this establishes boundaries so that SOO and finals run fairly smoothly without much intervention.

I'm not sure there is another way to do it with r.league. I don't want to see them take the NFL path and slow the game right down so you can have very technical video reviews every 2mins
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Yeah I didn’t think Burton was deliberately trying to run into Ponga. If he was, I have no idea why he’d do that - he’d be just as likely to hurt himself, which you can see in the way he stumbled and tripped after the collision. It was an overreaction from Gagai - he thought he saw something malicious that just wasn’t there.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I haven't read this whole thread, but I hope nobody's discounting the impact a Suncorp crowd ALWAYS has on a decider. You could see the difference it made in both the Queensland AND New South Wales players, particularly in the first ten minutes and the whole second half.

If that decider is in Sydney, I'm pretty sure we have a different winner.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Boomercm wrote: July 14, 2022, 10:11 am
Wiki Special wrote: July 14, 2022, 9:28 am
If it is controlled this way all of the time, coaches/teams take advantage and the game turns into a mess.

What we have is a game that ebbs and flows. The game is over referee'd in some parts of the year, but this establishes boundaries so that SOO and finals run fairly smoothly without much intervention.

I'm not sure there is another way to do it with r.league. I don't want to see them take the NFL path and slow the game right down so you can have very technical video reviews every 2mins
Yeah good post Boomer. Spot on I reckon.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I shouldn’t laugh, but this sentence on the state of origin Wikipedia page (under the popularity section) always cracks me up:
Internationally, the series is televised in 91 countries, and is a national obsession in Papua New Guinea, occasionally sparking riots, violence and deaths.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

chris83 wrote: July 13, 2022, 10:40 pm Well done qld. They just want it more, each year they prove it. Fittler proved tonight he's a woeful coach. Cleary also proved that he's nowhere near Andrew johns in class or ability, when it was time for someone to step up, cleary disappeared and the old fella in cherry Evans and hunt stood up.
completely disagree with the Cleary take. Defensively he kept us in it. Two huge try savers among other great effort plays. He seems to get Origin but he can't do it on his own. He was definitely not the problem.