Ricky Stuart says he’ll never again coach against the Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart says he’ll never again coach against the Canberra Raiders

Post by T_R »

I also will never coach an NRL team against the Raiders, and for the same reason that Ricky won't.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

greeneyed wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:27 pm The club, should it extend Ricky Stuart's contract, which I expect they will, should also be considering the transition to the next coach at the same time. Where do they see the club heading? What sort of club do they want to be building? Cameron Ciraldo has turned down the Tigers and it doesn't look like the Bulldogs are going down that path, at least not yet. I wonder if he is the sort of coach that could be attracted to the club as the next coach in waiting? Or he is he just waiting to take over from Ivan Cleary at Penrith? What about Slater or Smith (if they're not already tied to the Storm)? Out of all of the potential future head coaches, Slater is probably the best prospect.
Slater looks a great prospect to me. Temperament, selections, and attention to detail all on point (I'm not a QL supporter)

In terms of experienced coaches, Botman asked the question above "is Ricky the best we can attract?" (or similar). I think the answer to this is yes. I mean, we could attract someone desperate for a gig like McGuire or Green or Flanagan. But I don't see them as a step up. I'd be looking at a young coach as you suggest GE, a long term succession plan. Your sales pitch to this coach is around freedom and stability.

I think Canberra is an excellent landing pad for a young coach. We can offer and stability at board level and the ability to be away from the Sydney press. This is something many clubs can not offer (Tigers/Dogs/Eels etc). That stability and the lower amount of press pressure - which ironically we all bemoan at times - will be pretty attractive to many prospective coaches. It means there is more likelihood it is a long term gig, which provides that person stability for other parts of life (e.g., family). It also means they are more likely to be able to shape a roster and team culture over the long term.

So I think we could make a very strong pitch to someone like Slater or Ciraldo as a succession plan. The question is are we ready to begin making that plan, and who is the right person for that role? I hope the board and Stuart are thinking about these questions, even if Stuart wants to continue on for a while yet.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

So he’ll be coach unto 2031?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

It's a pipe dream that someone as in demand as Ciraldo would come here for a succession plan. He'd already be EXTREMELY unlikely to come here given he has his pick of vacancies, then throw in Sticky is likely to be at the helm at least another five years.

Smith and Slater in the same bracket. These guys will be able to pick and choose their situation. We're better off looking at what lower profile options are around. I think we can all agree we don't have a successor on the books right now.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on June 26, 2022, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:57 pm
Question wrote: June 25, 2022, 10:54 pm Tim sheens went alright.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
Phil Gould as well
Jack Gibson also.
Norm Provan, Warren Ryan, Harry Bath, Trent Robinson, Malcolm Reilly...

Tough rule!

I think Todd Payten is clearly the pick of the next generation. Smart, tough and certainly knew how to pick apart a defence with his skill. I'm always impressed when he speaks to the media too. Very certain of his approach and the style he wants to play. The Cowboys struck gold.

I think he'd come back here too, under the right circumstances. Irrespective of this family farm nonsense (that clearly doesn't apply to the likes of Craig Bellamy).

Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 26, 2022, 2:29 pm It's a pipe dream that someone as in demand as Ciraldo would come here for a succession plan. He'd already be EXTREMELY unlikely to come here given he has his pick of vacancies, then throw in Sticky is likely to be at the helm at least another five years.

Smith and Slater in the same bracket. These guys will be able to pick and choose their situation. We're better off looking at what lower profile options are around. I think we can all agree we don't have a successor on the books right now.
Depends on the plan. If it is a 1 year plan with the head coach role guaranteed the year after - it might be possible. But Stuart may not be ready for that plan yet, which is ok with me.

In 5 years there will be another Ciraldo, and Ciraldo is likely to have already been Trent Barrett-ed out the back door of somewhere. I'm not picking on Ciraldo specifically here, all these young coaches get hyped and most don't make it (like young players). Only a tiny fraction end up with Bellamy or Bennett type careers.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

What happened to Garth Brennan? He was the next big thing in up and coming coaches for a minute.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:What happened to Garth Brennan? He was the next big thing in up and coming coaches for a minute.
I believe he is at the Knights in a junior development role but read that we just quit the Knights last week, was getting along with the coach apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Boomercm wrote: June 27, 2022, 7:48 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 26, 2022, 2:29 pm It's a pipe dream that someone as in demand as Ciraldo would come here for a succession plan. He'd already be EXTREMELY unlikely to come here given he has his pick of vacancies, then throw in Sticky is likely to be at the helm at least another five years.

Depends on the plan. If it is a 1 year plan with the head coach role guaranteed the year after - it might be possible. But Stuart may not be ready for that plan yet, which is ok with me.

In 5 years there will be another Ciraldo, and Ciraldo is likely to have already been Trent Barrett-ed out the back door of somewhere. I'm not picking on Ciraldo specifically here, all these young coaches get hyped and most don't make it (like young players). Only a tiny fraction end up with Bellamy or Bennett type careers.
Yeah it'd need to be contracted in. I don't see Stuart being ready to surrender his post in the next 5 years unless it became untenable, so I don't see him agreeing to a handover.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Someone should tell Ricky the aim is to win - and it's not all about him and his desires. The club doesn't revolve around him - even if the media think it does. There are long suffering fans that have been waiting since 1994. I am one of them. He's had 9 years, next year will be 10, and we are no closer to a premiership despite multiple attempts and regenerations. The team can't do basic stuff like hold onto a half time lead. Fans don't want another second half like the Newcastle match.

It's time to put up the feet - he's done well and should be proud of what he's done, but it's time to pass the baton to someone else.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Let's table the succession plan discussion until 2027 and re-consider.
That's about as earliest as i see it being required
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He'll get next season no matter what. If we are a shuddering confused mess again surely that's enough.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: June 28, 2022, 9:19 am Let's table the succession plan discussion until 2027 and re-consider.
We will likely strike lighting once between now and 2027 landing another finals appearance, leading to an extension.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

BadnMean wrote: June 28, 2022, 10:42 am He'll get next season no matter what. If we are a shuddering confused mess again surely that's enough.
Narrator: “But alas, it was not enough”
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: June 28, 2022, 10:44 am
Botman wrote: June 28, 2022, 9:19 am Let's table the succession plan discussion until 2027 and re-consider.
We will likely strike lighting once between now and 2027 landing another finals appearance, leading to an extension.
For sure
Makes me wonder... here's a hypothetical game for us to play... we know 2023 is locked in.

You get to pick a year where he's still the HC of our club, for each year further down the track, you win 200k if you're right. But if you're wrong, you lose it all.
So you can pick 2024 and if he the HC at the start of 2024, you get 200k and you're out

However if you pick 2028, and he's still the HC at the start of 2028, that's a cool mil... it ultimately boils down to this. What is the latest year are you absolutely certain, regardless of circumstances, he's the HC?

2028 is where i'd land
Baring some absolute wild case scenario where the club is in turmoil and the players are revolting (and stuart keeps himself fairly well insulated from that scenario) i think that's the money spot
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 28, 2022, 10:45 am
BadnMean wrote: June 28, 2022, 10:42 am He'll get next season no matter what. If we are a shuddering confused mess again surely that's enough.
Narrator: “But alas, it was not enough”
:roflmao
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’d like Stuart to get some new assistant’s to shake things up a bit.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Extending Stuart a contract extension sums up the mediocracy the club is willing to accept and why the club remains a bottom 8 team

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Never change Raiders...never change.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Absolute **** **** of an operation.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

In other breaking news - Don Furner will never be CEO of any other organisation!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Must be all public servants on that board.

This place is woke.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It astounds me how Don Furner still has a job. No CEO with his record would have a job at a Sydney club

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Buffoons everywhere, in all the important jobs. Get the broom out
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

thoughts on Morris? Thought he was hard done by at the Sharks
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Shiv wrote: July 1, 2022, 10:49 am thoughts on Morris? Thought he was hard done by at the Sharks
I'd 100% have him over Rocky.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
Shiv wrote: July 1, 2022, 10:49 am thoughts on Morris? Thought he was hard done by at the Sharks
don't mind him

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

bonehead wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
don't mind him

Morris didn’t strike me as anything special. Had his tyres pumped hard by the Sydney media early in his coaching career. I thought Josh Hannay clearly out coached him as his temporary replacement.

There’s a reason the Sharks dumped him and he’s certainly not high on the radar for clubs on the lookout for coaches.

Surely it’s 50/50 whether he’ll be a full time head coach again. So an easy pass for me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: July 1, 2022, 12:18 pm
bonehead wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
don't mind him

Morris didn’t strike me as anything special. Had his tyres pumped hard by the Sydney media early in his coaching career. I thought Josh Hannay clearly out coached him as his temporary replacement.

There’s a reason the Sharks dumped him and he’s certainly not high on the radar for clubs on the lookout for coaches.

Surely it’s 50/50 whether he’ll be a full time head coach again. So an easy pass for me.
Agree.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
don't mind him

Surely it’s 50/50 whether he’ll be a full time head coach again.
Agree with all that... I'd still have him over Rocky.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The Nickman wrote:
Me too

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:
bonehead wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
don't mind him

Surely it’s 50/50 whether he’ll be a full time head coach again.
Agree with all that... I'd still have him over Rocky.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

bonehead wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
don't mind him

I don’t rate Morris or Hannay, but Morris made the finals when he coached them, Hannay didn’t, so not sure about the “clearly outcoached” part. He won 8 games all year and has a lower win/loss ratio.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Every time I read the thread title it comes across as more of a threat, than a promise.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

deanoman wrote: June 25, 2022, 8:42 pm Ricky is the best coach we have had in decades. I for one hope he stays around until he retires/wins a premiership.

Anyone who doesn't rate him is kidding themselves. There was a time we had Matt Elliot as our head and he brought in a pack a day smoker 2nd rower to play 5/8 and that was one of his better moves.

We have arguably had the best recruitment since the 90s and made a GF while he was in charge. He's done good
Jason Smith was the best half at creating for others we have had since Ricky Stuart.