10%
Dragons 13+
20%

Total votes: 10

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Re: 2022 Rd 16 V Dragons: Game Day

Post by TongueFTW »

We have had two decisions now in the final minute go against us (Warriors, Dragons), but in both matches we should have been far better than we were.

This game was the tale of two marquee players. Our marquee player gifted them a try, failed to find touch and dropped the ball on the first tackle from a scrum play. Theirs played smart, kicked smart and won them the game. Wighton is one of the more frustrating players to watch in the competition, as it is all about mental application. Dally M, CCM winner shows he can be elite when he is focused, but to earn close to 1m a season, your best and worst games need to be far closer.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 4, 2022, 1:01 am Rapana is just plain dumb with his plays. Don't mind if he leaves at the end of the year. He costs us more than what he makes up for his efforts and run metres.

Glad Sutton is leaving, adds little.

Can Cotric catch a ball? But errors from Timoko, Kris, Wighton, Young, and Sutton.

Only bright spot for me is Savage but **** did Stuart take him off with 5 min to go when we were behind to put on CNK? Ricky's a fraud of a coach. Should just dedicate his time on his charity work.
Judging by the disorganised and disjointed team performance over many seasons, I'd say the master coach's charity work already occupies most of his time!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Crusader wrote: July 4, 2022, 7:49 am Looking foward to NRL360 talking about Tigers and Broncos and mentioning the Raiders for 2mins about a season defining decsion
Mate do yourself a favor and quit watching that **** show...
It will erode your brain cells
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: July 4, 2022, 8:48 am
BadnMean wrote:
gangrenous wrote: July 3, 2022, 9:48 pm His strike rate should be pretty good if we actually had a competent team who prepared for the kicks. His kicks have been very good and Raiders have had poll position on taking a lot of them and keep finding new and inventive ways to **** it up.
No you need to actually consider the up and down side , given match circumstance and conditions...

Either no one in the team had the balls to say , "hang on, **** do we want to try and "win" the ball for the sake of rucking it out in atrocious weather inside our own 5m zone" when if we just kick it, the other team will likely drop it anyway and we don't have to ruck out?

Especially given the downside is freebie points in a game where ANY points at all are worth double?

Zero leadership.
We’re going to have to agree to disagree here.

I think the upside of going long is they start a set on their 30 (kicking into a gale, it’s going 40m tops with a GOOD kick). That buys you a couple of tackles not on your line.

At the end of that set if you hold them out you are still going to be rucking it out of your end of that set. If you’re lucky and don’t end up in repeat sets.

So yes I think it’s a fair trade in that game circumstance to go for the short kickoff, and the trickiest bit is getting the placement right (which they did).

The problem seems to be that they don’t seem to practice scenarios any more. There’s not a clear plan and positioning of receiving players. The players don’t play the setting “oh I’m under less pressure for the ball, it’s probably safer to attempt a catch”.

I remember in 2019 they said that they were putting the team through a truckload of scenario drills after having lost so many close games. It looks like the team needs to do a whole lot more scenario drilling across different aspects of the game, because they sure seem to be picking the lowest percentage play more often than not.
I do disagree here. It was SO hard to score that we only managed 10 all game and the opposition scored 8 of their 12 as a direct result of gifts from short drop outs. We literally handed them points in a game where it was really, really hard to score at any time.

In normal conditions I don't mind the short drop out.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: July 4, 2022, 9:56 am
BadnMean wrote:
gangrenous wrote: July 3, 2022, 9:48 pm His strike rate should be pretty good if we actually had a competent team who prepared for the kicks. His kicks have been very good and Raiders have had poll position on taking a lot of them and keep finding new and inventive ways to **** it up.
No you need to actually consider the up and down side , given match circumstance and conditions...

Either no one in the team had the balls to say , "hang on, **** do we want to try and "win" the ball for the sake of rucking it out in atrocious weather inside our own 5m zone" when if we just kick it, the other team will likely drop it anyway and we don't have to ruck out?

Especially given the downside is freebie points in a game where ANY points at all are worth double?

Zero leadership.

I think the upside of going long is they start a set on their 30 (kicking into a gale, it’s going 40m tops with a GOOD kick). That buys you a couple of tackles not on your line.

At the end of that set if you hold them out you are still going to be rucking it out of your end of that set. If you’re lucky and don’t end up in repeat sets.

So yes I think it’s a fair trade in that game circumstance to go for the short kickoff, and the trickiest bit is getting the placement right (which they did).

The problem seems to be that they don’t seem to practice scenarios any more. There’s not a clear plan and positioning of receiving players. The players don’t play the setting “oh I’m under less pressure for the ball, it’s probably safer to attempt a catch”.

I remember in 2019 they said that they were putting the team through a truckload of scenario drills after having lost so many close games. It looks like the team needs to do a whole lot more scenario drilling across different aspects of the game, because they sure seem to be picking the lowest percentage play more often than not.
I do disagree here. It was SO hard to score that we only managed 10 all game and the opposition scored 8 of their 12 as a direct result of gifts from short drop outs. We literally handed them points in a game where it was really, really hard to score at any time.

BadnMean by a landslide.

I look forward to the next game in a flood, when we'll decide to start using defensive bombs.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BadnMean wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

Zero leadership.

First point - was 6 not 8.

Second point - I’m arguing that if your team is tactically prepared for the short kick then 4 of those should never have happened.

Fair enough risking giving away 2 easy points from not making it might not be a play you’re willing to make in the wet. I am certainly interested to see a replay of whether the 2nd one legitimately did not make it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

This won't happen, but at this stage of the season I'd honestly like to see Schneider and Fogarty in the halves and Wighton at 13.

Wighton is playing like he's mentally fatigued. I don't think he's getting anywhere near enough out of the left hand side in attack.

That game was played in awful conditions though, so there is no way Stuart is going to make changes on the back of it. Cotric has copped some ill deserved grief for his drop.

The season is now pretty much done, so hopefully the likes of Mooney, Rushton and Hola get more of a run. Maybe HSS is a small chance if he gets fit enough before the end of the season.

I've seen enough of Sutton and Whitehead thanks.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Oh and Savage's ball security was noticeably better. He definitely played to the conditions.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:00 am Oh and Savage's ball security was noticeably better. He definitely played to the conditions.

Stop deathriding the kid, Seiff!

Jesus
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Crusader wrote: July 4, 2022, 7:47 am Josh McCrone tries harder then Jamal Fogerty
No one ever accused McCrone of not trying Crusader - it was more a generally bagging around his ability.
I think you'll find most agree he gave his all.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Botman wrote: July 4, 2022, 7:44 am
Peter wrote: July 4, 2022, 6:49 am The Raiders had 4 players standing flat (almost in a straight line) to the right of Starling on that last play.

Do they not train for moments like this when it is all or nothing? Is there not one set play to call upon?

Again no leadership from the halves.

Whether it was a penalty or not, we didn’t deserve to win that one.
They ran their favourite go to set play in the lead up
Which is that Wighton wrap around the where Young plays short to Kris

Problem is it’s the only real play we run and everyone knows 9 times out of 10 the ball is going to Kris
Which is a bit weird since the best version of that play is when it goes to Wighton
Oh look we have that one and we also have the one where the hooker goes short to Tapine. Or the one where the hooker goes short to Papalii.

But surely there’s just one more set play in the situation where you are on the opponents tryline, the season is on the line, siren is about to sound.

We’d be no **** worse off having Starling flick the ball out the back and Fogarty tries a backwards bomb over his head and hope for the best. I’d probably give them a better chance at scoring from than anything else they could come up with.

The attack is an utter shambles. Jack Wighton cost himself an origin jersey with that piss poor performance.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

radicalraider wrote: July 3, 2022, 10:57 pm Somethings up with papalii..
I don't think anyone responded to you - but yes. There is. He's barely utilised by Queensland, to the point why you wonder why he's there.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Probably had enough of busting a gut with these plonkers to get encouragement awards, I'd say he wants a big ring.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Greenev
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Greenev »

HoraceBigCigar wrote: July 4, 2022, 5:53 am Ramshackle
Amateur
Innocuous
Drab
Erroneous
Ref-blaming
Sad

**** trash
Overpaid
Game management = none
Always caught on fourth
Running sideways
Trash
Yeah, fog sucks
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

**** coach
Trash
Utter garbage
A hole to junior players, sucks up to underperforming seniors
Rubbish tactics and bench management. "I have no plan as to how to use CNK" pre game.
Talks out of his backside , blames refs, bad luck and others for losses - all elements except himself
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:00 am Oh and Savage's ball security was noticeably better. He definitely played to the conditions.

Stop deathriding the kid, Seiff!

Jesus
Yeah I know.

The only reason I took notice was because I couldn't wait for him to drop it, just so I could immediately get online and show everyone how right I was.

#sackthesavage

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

He did very well. Promising signs. Especially since the young Dragons FB dropped 3 or 4 balls. It was not easy in that wind.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Does not need to worry about KPIs

Fails to conduct contract risk management

John McIntyre changed his nappies (probably)
Up The Milk
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

reptar wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:45 am
I don't think anyone responded to you - but yes. There is. He's barely utilised by Queensland, to the point why you wonder why he's there.
I think Papa looks a bit heavy this season. The game is fast and each year it gets harder to carry extra weight. It's not as easy at 30 as it might have been at 27. He's having some good moments in defence especially but the limited minutes is unusual.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Ooh goody gum drops, it'll make up for being a garbage club.

This place is woke.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I stopped watching Annesley's weekly briefings when he didn't even bother addressing the Justin O'Neill offside v Nth Qld last year when he scored from a kick.

He just picks and chooses what he wants to address.

He's a politician and just talks rubbish.
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on July 4, 2022, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

If Jack Wighton isn't the most overrated player in the game I'm not sure who he. He's at least top 3 surely. I'm absolutely sick of him. Would be nice for a former Dally M medalist and CC winner to win us a game for once. I can't think of 1 game where he's stood up under pressure and won a game for us. Yet continually walks in to rep teams. I'm glad NSW didn't pick him. **** him. And Fogarty is aaaaabsolute ****. Though I already knew that before we signed him. Anyone that was happy with that signing doesn't watch much Rugby League.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Hazza wrote: July 4, 2022, 2:29 pm If Jack Wighton isn't the most overrated player in the game I'm not sure who he. He's at least top 3 surely. I'm absolutely sick of him. Would be nice for a former Dally M medalist and CC winner to win us a game for once. I can't think of 1 game where he's stood up under pressure and won a game for us. Yet continually walks in to rep teams. I'm glad NSW didn't pick him. **** him. And Fogarty is aaaaabsolute ****. Though I already knew that before we signed him. Anyone that was happy with that signing doesn't watch much Rugby League.
Jack is one of my favourite players but I've been very disappointed in his games v Brisbane and Dragons for us. The stupid non touch finder was unforgivable for a senior player. Then he had the opportunity to win it at the end. I'm actually happy that he didn't make the 17 for NSW. I'm starting to think his 2019-20 years were outliers and what we are seeing is the usual Jack.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

I am still hopeful we use the Hodgson $$ and throw absolute bank at a #6 so we can play Jack at #4
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

greeneyed wrote: July 4, 2022, 2:17 pm
I'm surprised they're spending soo much time on Origin. The sin bin was so bloody obvious - repeated infringements and rarely onside. Cut and dried sin bin.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So, so far, we know that one of Edrick Lee's five tries was not a try. Incorrect over-rule an on field no try call, from the bunker.

And the penalty against Sam Verills for a dangerous tackle... which led to an opposition try... was not a dangerous tackle and no penalty should have been awarded.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

BadnMean wrote: July 4, 2022, 1:43 pm
reptar wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:45 am
I think Papa looks a bit heavy this season. The game is fast and each year it gets harder to carry extra weight. It's not as easy at 30 as it might have been at 27. He's having some good moments in defence especially but the limited minutes is unusual.
Yeah I agree. Not wanting to sound indelicate but there's a bit more padding on his stomach at present.

Not sure if something else is contributing to it re lack of optimal conditioning.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL head of football Graham Annesley admits crucial refereeing error in Canberra Raiders' clash with Dragons

The NRL's head of football, Graham Annesley says that a penalty should have been awarded to the Canberra Raiders in the final stages of the Green Machine's two point loss to the Dragons at Wollongong yesterday.

He admited that there were three reasons for giving a penalty against Dragons half Ben Hunt. First for offside, then for a flop and then for not being square at marker.

All three were professional fouls, with Hunt sent to the sin bin.

It cost the Raiders a shot at a penalty goal from in front and forcing the game into golden point - against 12 men.

"In our view, based on the circumstances, it warranted a penalty," Annesley said.

"There's three incidents. In the case of either the offside, the flop or the not square at marker, any of those three could have been determined to be a professional foul and could have resulted in not only a penalty but in a sin bin."

Annesley was not offering an apology to the Raiders. He said he hadn't spoken to Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, but confirmed that some people in the refereeing heirarchy had done so.

"Players make errors, referees make errors. People make errors. It's not about apologies."

"I've never stood up here in four years and apologised to a club, because it's not my place to apologise for someone who's just made an error. They don't mean to do it, they do it on purpose. We're just trying to explain the circumstances."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Graham Annesley admits crucial refereeing error in Raiders' clash: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/07/04/con ... full-time/

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/07/04/gra ... -round-16/

NRL concedes Canberra Raiders should have received late penalty against St George Illawarra Dragons

Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner says it's happened to them before and it feels like it happens to them more than anyone else - the Raiders being robbed and then the NRL apologising afterwards.

"It's happened to us before. It feels like it happens to us more," he said. "For me, and a lot of people watching, that it wasn't even a 50-50 call. That was a mandatory penalty every day of the week."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

NRL admit getting Dragons six again ‘farce’ wrong: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-a ... bdc6ad37fc

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Who cares. The NRL is a farce and so are we.
Last edited by Azza on July 4, 2022, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Azza wrote:Who cares.
Imagesad isn't it.

This place is woke.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Made my blood boil watching that... the ref is yelling at Ben Hunt for being offside! So blow the **** penalty!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
Why doesn't Annesley takeover the bunker role? We see these **** ups every single week.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Crusader wrote: July 4, 2022, 7:47 am Josh McCrone tries harder then Jamal Fogerty
McCrone and Sammy played with their hearts on their sleeves. You could never fault their commitment. Occasionally they'd surprise you with a creative play or by taking on the line and scoring.

Fogarty doesn't seem likely to tick any of those boxes. Tradesman-like player who shifts the ball around and will run (sideways or backwards) to pick up a runner. Usually for minimal effect. Three try assists and one offload out of five appearances. Five forced drop outs.

Frawley has only one forced drop out, but he did score that cracker of a try. So, he at least asks questions of the defence.

Schneider has scored a try and can kick goals. Three try assists and two line-break assists. Two forced dropouts, although he doesn't have a huge boot, but that supposedly is what Wighton provides.

As an aside, how ironic that we're used to Wighton kicking it on the full once a game, but he failed to do so with a penalty kick for touch. D'oh!
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).