Elliott Whitehead

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Elliott Whitehead

Post by BadnMean »

He's just a passenger now. It's quite sad.

Once was the time he'd have been all over a game in the wet, winning contact, sliding around, playing smart.

He's just literally a plodder now, no power in the legs anymore.

Pretty soon it'll start to cause some ripples in the squad. It's hard to have someone in authority when they can't pull their weight.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 4, 2022, 12:39 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 4, 2022, 11:55 am
yurithe1 wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 3, 2022, 11:56 pm Bad miss on Suli again - just couldn't move quickly laterally when Suli came inside.

Gave him a bath last year as well when Suli was with Manly.

Ricky still won't drop him. He's a liability to the team. Whitehead should seriously think about retiring at the end of the year.
I don't know what sort of money he's on, but I'll bet that he would rather be playing in NSW Cup and getting the same dollars than retired and earning zilch.

The NSW Cup side could probably benefit from his experience, which brings me to the next question: who becomes captain?

Ricky is enamoured of Tapine saying he could be a future Kiwi captain. Much easier to stake that claim if he's the club captain. IMHO, I don't think the referees respect Whithead and are dismissive of him. His attempt to get the ref to blow a penalty at the end of today's game against the Dragons is a case in point.
Zero Tackle is reporting $580k. Not sure if that's correct, but wouldn't surprise me.

He was done by the end of 2020. Came back strongly when the season was resumed that season, in among all the George Williams nonsense, but there were obvious signs to me with about a month to go in that season that he was done.

First step is to hand over the captaincy to Tapine and attempt to move on.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Shop him to the Tigers. They're always willing to take on other team's cap burdens.
Plenty of room for a busted second rower now they've shipped Leilua off.

Or the Bulldogs as a Pommie Package along with Sutton.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I love and respect what Whitehead has done for this club, he is one of my favourite second rowers ever. Tough, skilful, and could run a great line. Had it all. However, even though he is only 32, he has played a lot of top level football. Just glancing at his Wikipedia page, he has played close to 360 top flight games. I really think he is just reaching the limit of what his body can do. He should be playing 40-50 minutes a game at this stage of his career.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I’ve mentioned this before but is there anyway he could transition into our 4th prop?

Outside of this I have no idea what to do with him for the next few years.

Hopefully there are some performance clauses in his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Rick wrote: July 24, 2022, 7:51 am I’ve mentioned this before but is there anyway he could transition into our 4th prop?

Outside of this I have no idea what to do with him for the next few years.

Hopefully there are some performance clauses in his contract.

Absolutely no chance. His yardage has never been a thing.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

He isn’t bending the line on the edge running against centra and halves. No way he is effective ‘as a prop’ in the middle.

Only thing I can see to drag some dregs out of his 2022 is have him and Elliot rotate as lock - with Whitehead ball playing more than running. Looked ok in the preseason, but it looks like he has 20-30 effective minutes in him now.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

You're either capable of performing at FG level, or you're not.

This is clearly the most sensitive issue for Stuart to resolve. Whitehead clearly isn't playing any better as his contract goes on.

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 24, 2022, 8:57 am You're either capable of performing at FG level, or you're not.

This is clearly the most sensitive issue for Stuart to resolve. Whitehead clearly isn't playing any better as his contract goes on.

And yet he sits there right next to Ricky in the press conference giving his synopsis of the game and other players performances when the glaring issue are his own…
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I think there is violent agreement among posters here that Elliot has been brilliant for us but his time has passed. Hope Ricky make the right call.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Whitehead should be the no17 warming the bench for 70mins
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

TongueFTW wrote: July 24, 2022, 6:41 am I love and respect what Whitehead has done for this club, he is one of my favourite second rowers ever. Tough, skilful, and could run a great line. Had it all. However, even though he is only 32, he has played a lot of top level football. Just glancing at his Wikipedia page, he has played close to 360 top flight games. I really think he is just reaching the limit of what his body can do. He should be playing 40-50 minutes a game at this stage of his career.
It’s worse than that, he’s dead Jim, dead Jim, dead Jim, it’s worse than that he’s dead Jim, dead Jim, dead!

40-50 mins in reserve grade is acceptable. He’s not cut out for first grade anymore.

His decline in form is almost at Darius Boyd levels. Except Darius just completely stopped trying and would just lie down to avoid making a tackle. Elliott will at least try to grab an arm or something.

His spirit is willing, his body is weak. Father Time is unbeaten I’m afraid.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

If we had not entered into that boneheaded extension last year Whitehead could right now be casting around for a final swansong in the the UK or sorting out his affairs for retirement.

And we could have given him a nice farewell at GIO stadium on August 27 against Manly.

And we could have avoided him lingering in the memory of Raiders fans as a Darius Boydesque figure who hung around far too long.

And we could have had a cool 1-1.3 million in the cap over the next 2 seasons.

Alas none of the above will come to pass and we are forced to come up with creative solutions to spare the feelings of good blokes.
Up The Milk
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Saw this on Facebook... brutal

EDIT.
Last edited by greeneyed on July 24, 2022, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Over the top criticism
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

jimmy82 wrote: July 24, 2022, 10:23 am Whitehead should be the no17 warming the bench for 70mins
You really want to give that 10 minute slot to a guy who has never been a dynamic high impact player? Whitehead has been a great workhorse but if that game has now passed him let’s give a young bloke the 10 minutes experience and look to the future
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Wonder if the tigers or Dolphins would take him

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Marquee Dolphins signing….please make it happen.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Finchy wrote: July 24, 2022, 11:23 am Saw this on Facebook... brutal

EDIT.
Please. Implying that a player is "trash" is not over the top.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Finchy wrote:
Finchy wrote: July 24, 2022, 11:23 am Saw this on Facebook... brutal

EDIT.
Please. Implying that a player is "trash" is not over the top.
It's not constructive, it's lazy and it wasn't funny. Keep the lame memes on fb where they belong

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

I wasn’t aware “funny and constructive” were prerequisites for posts on this forum. Should eliminate about 95% of the content on here
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I can’t recall a thread concerning a player’s lack of performance that has less counter argument than this one. It might be the is a strong counter view that Whitehead supporters can’t be bothered arguing but it feels there is a unanimous view that he’s been great but now beyond it. If we all know it surely Ricky must be feeling the heat to act.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

There is no denying his form is not first grade standard. But I do think Ricky will persevere with him for his leadership. I'm not saying that's the right or wrong call only that there is sometimes more than tackles and carries that players bring and it wouldnt surprise me if he stuck with our captain for the rest of this year. That said, just like he did with Croker it wouldn't surprise me if he played Reggie's next year
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

FROG wrote: July 25, 2022, 6:34 am There is no denying his form is not first grade standard. But I do think Ricky will persevere with him for his leadership. I'm not saying that's the right or wrong call only that there is sometimes more than tackles and carries that players bring and it wouldnt surprise me if he stuck with our captain for the rest of this year. That said, just like he did with Croker it wouldn't surprise me if he played Reggie's next year
I’d be surprised if he were dropped.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

FROG wrote: July 25, 2022, 6:34 am There is no denying his form is not first grade standard. But I do think Ricky will persevere with him for his leadership. I'm not saying that's the right or wrong call only that there is sometimes more than tackles and carries that players bring and it wouldnt surprise me if he stuck with our captain for the rest of this year. That said, just like he did with Croker it wouldn't surprise me if he played Reggie's next year
Its the wrong call. He isn’t really a great leader for starters, and even if he was his general play is so bad that it renders his leadership skills useless. Like Croker, the captain shouldn’t be the worst player on the pitch and currently he is. He’s been poor for a few seasons now, he’s never had great carries anyway, he just pops up time to time with a special play but 90% of the game he is invisible. We look an immensely better side when Elliott and CHN are on the park.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Interestingly, there was a bit of reported chatter from Ricky, CHN and someone else whom I forget that praised Whitehead's leadership.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Another below average game from Whitehead.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

At least he's not getting 80 anymore. I can live with it
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

He was solid while in the field, I did notice a lazy effort in defence for one of their trys, but still need him at the moment, limit his minutes, and needs to come on after 20 minutes to prolong his career
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Neeeegz wrote: July 30, 2022, 7:54 pm He was solid while in the field, I did notice a lazy effort in defence for one of their trys, but still need him at the moment, limit his minutes, and needs to come on after 20 minutes to prolong his career
Why do we want to prolong the careers of underperforming players in obvious decline?
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 30, 2022, 5:58 pm At least he's not getting 80 anymore. I can live with it
That’s it. At least there’s an acknowledgment he’s a 40-45min player.

CHN has his issues but massive upside too.

Like mini Germ taking out the early ‘sting’, let Whitehead do the same, and then bring CHN to cause havoc
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's always baby steps with veteran players for Stuart.
Agreed with CM, that we're at a point where Stuart understands he's not got 80 minuntes is the first small step, ill take it
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

EW is not what he was. He's not as bad as this echo chamber makes out either.

It's good Ricky is giving him less minutes.

But I'm not convinced Chn is much better. He led to 2 tries today. His EDIT defence was under 6 stuff.

Hoping we have a viable alternative coming thru.

We need a quality 13 and 11
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

dubby wrote: July 30, 2022, 10:11 pm EW is not what he was. He's not as bad as this echo chamber makes out either.

But I'm not convinced Chn is much better. He led to 2 tries today. His EDIT defence was under 6 stuff.

We at least need a back up number 1 also.... can't see savage getting any better with his handling of the ball
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Raiders666 wrote:
dubby wrote: July 30, 2022, 10:11 pm EW is not what he was. He's not as bad as this echo chamber makes out either.

We at least need a back up number 1 also.... can't see savage getting any better with his handling of the ball
I think his handling will improve as he continues. Remember Rapana was good for two to three knock ons a game in his first season.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

RTW wrote:
Raiders666 wrote:

I think his handling will improve as he continues. Remember Rapana was good for two to three knock ons a game in his first season.

Yeah, I've been death riding Savage since he was in nappies, but it's clear his handling going into contact has improved, as has his mentality that he can just run around defenders with no contact like it's under 15's.

That will continue to improve over time.

His main issue now is positioning in defence at fullback and defending high balls, which is an absolute lottery at this point.

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

RTW wrote: July 31, 2022, 9:39 am
Raiders666 wrote:

Yeah I guess but Rapana isn't a fullback.