Post by The Greenhouse »

2022 Rd 16 V Dragons: Teams and Previews

Canberra Raiders V St George Illawarra Dragons
Sunday 3 July, 4:05pm
Wollongong Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC

The Raiders have a week off during Representative Round, before heading to Wollongong for a clash with the Dragons in Round 16. Who would you like to see line up in green in this match? Name your own team, and then see how close you were when the official teams are named on the Tuesday before the match. We will have the official squads in the first post of this thread, once they are announced.

OFFICIAL SQUADS

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Matt Frawley
19. Corey Harawira-Naera
20. Trey Mooney
21. Semi Valemei
22. Adrian Trevilyan

Injury/Suspension

James Schiller, Shoulder (Rd 18-19)
Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Season)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)

St George Illawarra Dragons

1. Cody Ramsey
2. Mathew Feagai
3. Moses Suli
4. Zac Lomax
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Talatau Amone
7. Ben Hunt
8. Jack de Belin
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Blake Lawrie
11. Jack Bird
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Tariq Sims

14. Moses Mbye
15. Francis Molo
16. Aaron Woods
17. Michael Molo

18. Josh Kerr
19. Tautau Mogo
20. Jayden Sullivan
21. Jaiyden Hunt
22. Billy Burns

Injury/Suspension

Josh McGuire, Groin (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Peter Gough
Touch judges: Jon Stone, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Video referee: Grant Atkins

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLDragonsRaiders
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2022 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Last edited by The Greenhouse on June 25, 2022, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: 2022 Rd 16 V Dragons: Teams and Previews

Post by Finchy »

Same team that beat *checks notes* ... the Knights!

Except take out Whitehead, Fogarty, Starling, Schiller

Add Wighton, CHN, Treveliyan
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'm not sure I can handle any more Fogarty, Starling, Whitehead for my mental health

I can understand the frustration with Savage too but he's clearly worth persisting with
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Trevilyan was really good in the NSW cup. He looks ready to me.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:03 pm I'm not sure I can handle any more Fogarty, Starling, Whitehead for my mental health

I can understand the frustration with Savage too but he's clearly worth persisting with
Starling really reveals our coaching flaws. He comes up and stinks it up straight away, yet the gameplan chiseled into concrete is that he's playing the 2nd half so we have to endure an absolutely miserable 40 minutes rather than make decisions on the fly.

Just terrible coaching.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Trev in for Starling... EW... rested if thats what you have to say
Ill take that and lets see where we go. Fog was very ordinary today and i wouldnt have complaints if Frawley was in the team over him. But i am really wanting Schnieder to stay the course and build for 2023
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Dragons by a truckload.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I reckon people are being a bit harsh on the Fog tbh.

A few nice repeat sets; a try assist; and a promising combo with Xav building.

Likewise if people are calling for Xav to be dropped. He is a legitimate point of difference in an otherwise dismal attack, notwithstanding that he is a rocks and diamonds merchant at the moment.

Let us focus on the real personnel issues: Starling and Whitehead.
Up The Milk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Beat Dragqueens and a bye in hand..we are lookin pretty.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:22 pm Trev in for Starling... EW... rested if thats what you have to say
Ill take that and lets see where we go. Fog was very ordinary today and i wouldnt have complaints if Frawley was in the team over him. But i am really wanting Schnieder to stay the course and build for 2023
EW reassigned to captain NSW Cup with Croker gone. I don't know how we sell it next year with both fit. Maybe one of them is made head waterboy for NRLW.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Beat Dragqueens and a bye in hand..we are lookin pretty.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:31 pm
Botman wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:22 pm Trev in for Starling... EW... rested if thats what you have to say
EW reassigned to captain NSW Cup with Croker gone. I don't know how we sell it next year with both fit. Maybe one of them is made head waterboy for NRLW.
Gonna be a real interesting situation for the club to navigate.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

For the criticism of Fogarty, he forced a few repeat sets and had one try not scored because of a milk bottle and another because of a Savage miss / Timoko knock-on.

He wasn’t great, but he did some good things.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

President Clinton wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:44 pm For the criticism of Fogarty, he forced a few repeat sets and had one try not scored because of a milk bottle and another because of a Savage miss / Timoko knock-on.

agreed
it wasnt all one way traffic of poor footy. We do need him to be a lot better though, particularly on 4th tackle. He's got to see the bum rush coming and figure out a way to beat them, be that with a running game or with quick hands to get the ball outside it
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

Agree with most, Whitehead and Starling are major issues. Don’t see either being dropped.

Also agree with mickey_raider, that despite Fog looking average, those repeat sets are big, and that grubber combo with Savage is the best set play we have outside of ‘pass it to Wighton’ or ‘hope for a good bounce’. As others are saying, hopefully Schneider has learnt from his stint in first grade and gets better and better in NSW cup and pushes for first pick by 2023.

Not the team I’d pick but something Rick MAY do that’ll be partially satisfactory:

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine (c)
11. Hudson Young
12. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Adam Elliot

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Elliot Whitehead (c)
17. Corey Horsburgh
President Clinton
Dean Lance

^Good call.

If Whitehead has to in the side, have him as the player on the bench that plays zero minutes.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

President Clinton wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:44 pm For the criticism of Fogarty, he forced a few repeat sets and had one try not scored because of a milk bottle and another because of a Savage miss / Timoko knock-on.

Exactly right President Clinton. I think he is developing a nice combination with Savage chasing his kicks. It could easily have been 3 tries off his kicks today. The young backs chasing will get better the more experience they get at doing just that. I think he needs to ensure he is available for the last play options. If he is going to run it should be earlier in the set not after the fourth tackle. But this is his fourth match with the side. I think there are signs of an NRL level halfback (not a rep halfback) coming through.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Finchy wrote:Same team that beat *checks notes* ... the Knights!

In Schiller’s defense and disregarding injury, he played well in his limited minutes. His carry’s out of our end had purpose and helped get us on up the field.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Green Machine 2011 wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:46 pm Agree with most, Whitehead and Starling are major issues. Don’t see either being dropped.

Also agree with mickey_raider, that despite Fog looking average, those repeat sets are big, and that grubber combo with Savage is the best set play we have outside of ‘pass it to Wighton’ or ‘hope for a good bounce’. As others are saying, hopefully Schneider has learnt from his stint in first grade and gets better and better in NSW cup and pushes for first pick by 2023.

Not the team I’d pick but something Rick MAY do that’ll be partially satisfactory:

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine (c)
11. Hudson Young
12. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Adam Elliot

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Elliot Whitehead (c)
17. Corey Horsburgh
Papa will be in State of Origin and Jack has covid but I think the rest of the side is ok. I expect HorsPower to take Papa's starting spot. One of the young players like Mooney or Rushton will get another shot. Frawley will take the place of Jack.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

RedRaider wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:59 pm

Exactly right President Clinton. I think he is developing a nice combination with Savage chasing his kicks. It could easily have been 3 tries off his kicks today. The young backs chasing will get better the more experience they get at doing just that. I think he needs to ensure he is available for the last play options. If he is going to run it should be earlier in the set not after the fourth tackle. But this is his fourth match with the side. I think there are signs of an NRL level halfback (not a rep halfback) coming through.
True and look I would pick him again based on that

You can't be a halfback though and routinely botch backline plays. He needs to fix that fast
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

RedRaider wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:04 pm
Green Machine 2011 wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:46 pm Agree with most, Whitehead and Starling are major issues. Don’t see either being dropped.

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine (c)
11. Hudson Young
12. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Adam Elliot

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Elliot Whitehead (c)
17. Corey Horsburgh
Papa will be in State of Origin and Jack has covid but I think the rest of the side is ok. I expect HorsPower to take Papa's starting spot. One of the young players like Mooney or Rushton will get another shot. Frawley will take the place of Jack.
Isn’t it a solo rep round so we don’t play for a fortnight, and all will be picked?
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Sorry mate, I agreed with a poster above who said something similar but missed this. Agreed 👍
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Green Machine 2011 wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:06 pm

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine (c)
11. Hudson Young
12. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Adam Elliot

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Elliot Whitehead (c)
17. Corey Horsburgh
Isn’t it a solo rep round so we don’t play for a fortnight, and all will be picked?
Yep. With the round 17 bye as well they only have 1 club game in virtually a month.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine (c)
11. Hudson Young
12. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Adam Elliot

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Elliot Whitehead (c)
17. Corey Horsburgh
You are right GM2011, my bad. I hope the week off will see some of our players freshen up and come back in better form = EW.
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Crash Ball wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:08 pm

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine (c)
11. Hudson Young
12. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Adam Elliot

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Elliot Whitehead (c)
17. Corey Horsburgh
Yep. With the round 17 bye as well they only have 1 club game in virtually a month.
I’ve learnt not to have faith but it does set us up for a good finish.

Based on the games over the next fortnight for teams in and around the 8, we get a win over the Dragons, and good chance we’re in 8th or 9th place, and a fairly soft run home outside of Storm and Panthers (and Manly)
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Sorry mate, I agreed with a poster above who said something similar but missed this. Agreed 👍
No need to apologise mate.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Schiller broken collar bone. What a tough bastard.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Postman Pat wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:01 pm
Finchy wrote:Same team that beat *checks notes* ... the Knights!

In Schiller’s defense and disregarding injury, he played well in his limited minutes. His carry’s out of our end had purpose and helped get us on up the field.
Yeah his exclusion is more of a “not in best 17/wasted on the bench” type thing, not because he sucks massively
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:51 pm Schiller broken collar bone. What a tough bastard.
That's a shame. He took two good carries under pressure, contributed positively. About all you could ask for given the minutes he got.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pretty sure I also saw him put in a shoulder charge in defence after he got injured. That’d be an interesting judiciary case “but sir, I was physically incapable of wrapping my arm!”
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Hudson for halfback!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: June 19, 2022, 7:11 pm Hudson for halfback!
He showed more footy brain then our 6,7 and 9 combined.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:15 pm Pretty sure I also saw him put in a shoulder charge in defence after he got injured. That’d be an interesting judiciary case “but sir, I was physically incapable of wrapping my arm!”

You could tell how much pain he was in and he kept getting up and trying to be in position
I think we're VERY lucky the knights weren't smart enough to find a way to go at him. Kudos to him though, valliant effort.

Re the shoulder charge... i'd love to be a fly on the wall for that defence! :lol:
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Starling has absolutely ploded however one defence I have of him is how he has been used. He's always struggled as a starting 9 and that's what he is essentially being used as by coming on at the start of the half.

Man needs to come on with about 20 to go in each of the halves I think... so poorly executed by Ricky.

If he's not gonna be used this way then get Trevilyan in.

Time for Whitehead to hit the road.

1. Savage
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Woolford
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. CHN
13. Elliott

14. Starling/Trevilyan
15. Sutton
16. Rushton
17. Horsburgh

18. Mooney
19. Frawley
20. Valemei
21. Trevilyan/Starling
22. Whitehead
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad hoping to make an early return from hamstring injury against the Dragons

Fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad should be back in the selection mix to face the St George Illawarra Dragons in Round 16 at Wollongong on July 3. He had not been scheduled for a return until Round 18. "I should be back next game," he told The Canberra Times in the corridor after the game.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280