23%
Dragons 13+
38%

Total votes: 13

LastRaider
John Ferguson

2022 Rd 16 V Dragons: Teams and Previews

Post by LastRaider »

The only thing I’ll add is we MUST persist with Savage, this means CNK misses out. Savage is dynamic and creates a constant fear in the opposition side. His speed is out of this world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 Rd 16 V Dragons: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Crash Ball wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:14 pm Trevilyan was really good in the NSW cup. He looks ready to me.
In my view, he comes in for Starling. We need at least 50 minutes out of Zac Woolford, with Trevilyan playing 30, roughly. Their styles are more similar and it is the best thing for the functioning of the team. We look much better with Woolford on the field. First and second halves, it is not a coincidence.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:22 pm Trev in for Starling... EW... rested if thats what you have to say
Ill take that and lets see where we go. Fog was very ordinary today and i wouldnt have complaints if Frawley was in the team over him. But i am really wanting Schnieder to stay the course and build for 2023
Both halves were not great (Joe Tapine and Hudson Young were better playmakers), but I wouldn't choose Frawley over Fogarty. I'd be very happy to have Schneider back, and Trevilyan in the top 17... because they improve each other's game when on the field together. It is time for youth. It is also time for Elliott Whitehead to be dropped. We can argue about whether he should have been sin binned, but he should not have even allowed the question to be raised. He has hit a wall harder than I can remember a player hitting a wall. He just can't keep up with the game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:15 pm Pretty sure I also saw him put in a shoulder charge in defence after he got injured. That’d be an interesting judiciary case “but sir, I was physically incapable of wrapping my arm!”
Why didn't they put the short kick off at the end to his wing? Very courageous for Schiller to stay on, with a broken collar bone, the way he did.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 19, 2022, 8:51 pm
Botman wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:22 pm Trev in for Starling... EW... rested if thats what you have to say
Ill take that and lets see where we go. Fog was very ordinary today and i wouldnt have complaints if Frawley was in the team over him. But i am really wanting Schnieder to stay the course and build for 2023
Both halves were not great, but I wouldn't choose Frawley over Fogarty. I'd be very happy to have Schneider back, and Trevilyan in the top 17... because they improve each other's game when on the field together. It is time for youth. It is also time for Elliott Whitehead to be dropped. We can argue about whether he should have been sin binned, but he should not have even allowed the question to be raised. He has hit a wall harder than I can remember a player hitting a wall. He just can't keep up with the game.
Id like the play the long term game with Schneider but i can accept reasonable minds can disagree on that, i dont have a great arguement agains the idea that if Fog is out, maybe we're better off putting minutes into Schnieder, because you are right, it is time for youth. I think there is a good case to be made on both sides

Agreed about EW... and it hurts me because i genuinely feel like he's been one of our best players in this era, and he's been a hugely underrated player at his peak. Fantastic player who right now flat out can not hang at NRL level :nooo
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Re the sin bin, i saw Canberra Milk say there was high contact. If that's true, then i would agree it's a sin bin. But i didnt see high contact, and admittedly havent watched any replays in the cold light of post game to check it... but i dont think it was sin bin worthy myself if there was no high contact, it wasnt late enough for that.

But a guy like Ponga is going to get that extra level of protection because the league and refs are very weary of those sorts of "superstars" with a small stature being targetted
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

LastRaider wrote: June 19, 2022, 8:41 pm The only thing I’ll add is we MUST persist with Savage, this means CNK misses out. Savage is dynamic and creates a constant fear in the opposition side. His speed is out of this world

CNK is an excellent option for the bench IMO.

Covers #1, has played international level on the wing, played 5/8 in the trials and could handle centre.

The other option that is better is Kris, but he is a starter now if Savage is at the back.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I honestly thought Frawley was terrible and Fogarty was improving today, 1 particularly standout point was Fog lining up his troops right only for Frawley to overcall left and throw it into touch.
My main griped from today's game was the amount of sideways, once I remember and under runner and it was Hudson who nearly pierced the line but as per usual zero support.
Nobody changing angles or offering the halves any lines, didn't attack behind the ruck or drive through the A and B.
Some horrible cross kicks which were way too shallow.
I did like that we showed a bit of patience forcing drop outs which we did score from repeat sets.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 19, 2022, 9:02 pm Re the sin bin, i saw Canberra Milk say there was high contact. If that's true, then i would agree it's a sin bin. But i didnt see high contact, and admittedly havent watched any replays in the cold light of post game to check it... but i dont think it was sin bin worthy myself if there was no high contact, it wasnt late enough for that.

But a guy like Ponga is going to get that extra level of protection because the league and refs are very weary of those sorts of "superstars" with a small stature being targetted
I've just watched it on the replay. On one angle it looks like contact with the head, another not. His shoulder sort of hits Ponga's shoulder and then Ponga's head whiplashes back, before he falls straight on his back. I'm not convinced it is contact with the head, but I won't be at all surprised if he's charged.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:
Botman wrote: June 19, 2022, 9:02 pm Re the sin bin, i saw Canberra Milk say there was high contact. If that's true, then i would agree it's a sin bin. But i didnt see high contact, and admittedly havent watched any replays in the cold light of post game to check it... but i dont think it was sin bin worthy myself if there was no high contact, it wasnt late enough for that.

I've just watched it on the replay. On one angle it looks like contact with the head, another not. His shoulder sort of hits Ponga's shoulder and then Ponga's head whiplashes back, before he falls straight on his back. I'm not convinced it is contact with the head, but I won't be at all surprised if he's charged.
it was late and forceful and effectively a shoulder, one of the dumbest 30s of footy that all but cost us the match.
Dumb strip on tackle 4 or 5 followed up by that.

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 19, 2022, 9:44 pm

Just watched it again myself after reading this post... that one view that looks like there was contact with the head sort of settles it for me. That's a sin bin, unfortunately.
Greenev
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Greenev »

CNK needs to start back in cup,

If he walks back into this side at fullback I’m done. He’s been horrendous for the past year and a half
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Savage
Cotric
Kris
Timoko
Rapana
Wighton (c)
Schneider
Horse
Woolford
Tapine (c)
Young
CHN
Elliot

Trevalian
Papalli
Sutton
Mooney

I don't like how fog blows up at his own players when a lot of the problems in attack are him taking on the line instead of feeding the men outside him.
He's not quick enough to take the line on, defence is average and needs time in reserves to work it out.
Whitehead suspended/dropped needs to refill his tank.
Greenev
Ken Nagas

Post by Greenev »

Neeeegz wrote: June 20, 2022, 8:13 am Savage
Cotric
Kris
Timoko
Rapana
Wighton (c)
Schneider
Horse
Woolford
Tapine (c)
Young
CHN
Elliot

Trevalian
Papalli
Sutton
Mooney

I don't like how fog blows up at his own players when a lot of the problems in attack are him taking on the line instead of feeding the men outside him.
He's not quick enough to take the line on, defence is average and needs time in reserves to work it out.
Agree with the Fogarty comments, he’s concerning me a lot, constantly taking the wrong options, getting caught on the 4th more often than not, kicking is OK but he shanks them more often than not, and don’t get me started on his distribution, he will either dummy and get caught or run sideways and get caught.
Greenev
Ken Nagas

Post by Greenev »

Neeeegz wrote: June 20, 2022, 8:13 am Savage
Cotric
Kris
Timoko
Rapana
Wighton (c)
Schneider
Horse
Woolford
Tapine (c)
Young
CHN
Elliot

Trevalian
Papalli
Sutton
Mooney

Agree with the Fogarty comments, he’s concerning me a lot, constantly taking the wrong options, getting caught on the 4th more often than not, kicking is OK but he shanks them more often than not, and don’t get me started on his distribution, he will either dummy and get caught or run sideways and get caught.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Frawley had some good moments - his monster touchfinder in the 78th got us the field position we needed to win - but there was also some vintage Josh McCrone in his play as well. Notably his kick in about the 36th minute that went out on the full by about ten metres put the Knights in position to force the idiotic short dropout, and he also threw multiple passes that went well behind their intended recievers.

Fog on the other hand had some really good moments with his short kicking game. He didn't set the world on fire, but he forced a few repeat sets and earned us a try with one of them. I think he's the better foil for Wighton.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I thought Fogarty’s kicking game in the attacking zones was excellent yesterday. But he needs work on the other areas of his game.

Sitting behind the goal lines yesterday (not a place I usually sit) I did notice it was Fogarty and Whitehead who were getting the defensive numbers in the right place (probably mainly due to Savages inexperience at this level).

So I have to give those two maligned players a wrap over this aspect of their game.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

BJ wrote: June 20, 2022, 10:05 am I thought Fogarty’s kicking game in the attacking zones was excellent yesterday. But he needs work on the other areas of his game.

Sitting behind the goal lines yesterday (not a place I usually sit) I did notice it was Fogarty and Whitehead who were getting the defensive numbers in the right place (probably mainly due to Savages inexperience at this level).

So I have to give those two maligned players a wrap over this aspect of their game.
Yeah the short kicking game was a lot better than it has been.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
16. Corey Horsburgh
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Adam Elliot

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. James Schiller (or Albert Hopoate if Schiller is out)
8. Josh Papali'i
17. Ryan Sutton

Elliot Whitehead seems to have a sniffle. Covid protocols.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

zim wrote: June 20, 2022, 1:19 pm
BJ wrote: June 20, 2022, 10:05 am I thought Fogarty’s kicking game in the attacking zones was excellent yesterday. But he needs work on the other areas of his game.

Not as good as Hudson's.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Hudson's kick had a decent chase as well.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Yeah I don’t get the Fog bashing to be honest.

I thought everyone had accepted his expected ceiling was as a middle of the road, serviceable halfback, rather than a Cleary or DCE elite level signing.

If that is the case, I think he is tracking exactly as would be expected. He is having some nice moments, particularly with his kicking game while still trying to find his feet at a new club, after only a couple games, after a decent injury lay off.

I’d say in terms of spine players, our biggest issue is Starling at the moment; and that is even with Xavier’s half a dozen errors a game.
Up The Milk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fog all but laid on 2 more tries with short kicks, the one that hit the post and the sav/timoko hash up.

Edrick The Entertainer
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 20, 2022, 5:29 pm

Yeah I don’t get the Fog bashing to be honest.

I thought everyone had accepted his expected ceiling was as a middle of the road, serviceable halfback, rather than a Cleary or DCE elite level signing.

If that is the case, I think he is tracking exactly as would be expected. He is having some nice moments, particularly with his kicking game while still trying to find his feet at a new club, after only a couple games, after a decent injury lay off.

I’d say in terms of spine players, our biggest issue is Starling at the moment; and that is even with Xavier’s half a dozen errors a game.
Agreed, I though fog did OK yesterday. On another day he would have had 3 try assists on short kicks if not for the post and a player missing the ball completely.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

The worst thing about Fog yesterday was continually getting caught with the ball for the 5th tackle, we needed him kicking short because he’s proven he’s very good at it. Also we needed someone to realize Barnett was rushing on him and play around Barnett to create space, we didn’t have anyone with enough awareness or ball playing skill to take advantage.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I understand the concern with Starling. I'm wondering if the game plan when he is on is the problem.

Opposition teams seem to know that he will come on and run but its not enough.

Woolford was a magnificent find for us. Hope he kicks on from here and cements his spot.

Id also persist with Savage, i just wonder if he is ready for the week on week grind.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Love Starling but easily his worst year on and off field
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

I have watched a lot of Dragons games as my best mates are Fanatics, bar the game against souths which was the worst 1st half by souths in last 10 years, Dragons are Dreadful, I simply cannot believe that they are in the top 8, we do need to go up another gear from knights game to smash them, and the Fans seriously think they can win the comp, arhhhh it kills me, the fans said Lomax is the worst centre in rugby league against cowboys, then the next week he should be selected for origin. This game is Personal for me, we cant lose this
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Agree with Boney. Frawley had an absolute stinker, while Fogarty has improved.

Frawley tends to fade in form as the season progresses.

I'm hoping Trevilyn returns soon, but I don't see it happening
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Crusader wrote: June 21, 2022, 10:44 am Love Starling but easily his worst year on and off field
Has his court case actually finished up yet?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Charges were dropped weren't they?

He's literally playing like a Hodgson clone, drifts across field and running Fogarty out of room. It's no coincidence we look much better when Woolford is on and playing direct
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

gangrenous wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:51 pm Schiller broken collar bone. What a tough bastard.
He looked more of a player in the 9 mins he got on Sunday than he has all season to me. I thought his couple of runs before he got hurt really lifted the team when we were going backwards.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kiwi raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 11:42 am
Crusader wrote: June 21, 2022, 10:44 am Love Starling but easily his worst year on and off field
Still another day in court coming up Thursday I understand.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2022, 12:21 pm
kiwi raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 11:42 am
Still another day in court coming up Thursday I understand.
hopefully its all sorted before our next game then. He's a far better player than what he's shown lately
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I think the pace of last years game just made him look way better than what he actually is.