Sam Williams eager to continue NRL career after Raiders departure

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

His days at the Raiders are over, but Sam Williams has left the door ajar to continue his rugby league career. The club and player have agreed to part ways. The halfback will continue to play local football, while building his small business, Strategic Wellbeing, if he can’t find a spot in the NRL or Super League.

"I still feel as though my body and mind is still in a position to keep playing at a professional level," Williams said. "I'm not retiring, but I didn't want to hold the club back from trying to explore other options.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Sam Williams eager to continue NRL career after Raiders departure

Post by Botman »

As much as Williams career at this club has frustrated me at times, he's had his moments, and some real good ones, that Cronulla semi being the one that immediately springs to mind, and i thank him for his dedication and service to our club. He's done his best and been a really respected club man.

Wish him nothing but the best in the future. I suspect his path will lead back "home" at some point.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Bot just covered it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

A great Clubman, All the best Sammy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Sad news
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A great club man and a great bloke too in my experience. Thank you Sammy.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Thanks for the memories Sam.

Does this mean we have a signing coming our way?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

We'll have a nice highlight reel from his days in lime green.
Best memory was a loose ball runaway try against Parra where he almost mocked the Hayne plane.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

All the best to Sammy - good servant and it's best for the club and for him if he wants to continue playing. All the best for his small business as well.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:As much as Williams career at this club has frustrated me at times, he's had his moments, and some real good ones, that Cronulla semi being the one that immediately springs to mind, and i thank him for his dedication and service to our club. He's done his best and been a really respected club man.

Wish him nothing but the best in the future. I suspect his path will lead back "home" at some point.
Spot on Bot.

In addition, I can’t see Sam playing NRL again, but I appreciate his commitment to set that goal for himself.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

magoo wrote: June 14, 2022, 9:19 pm Thanks for the memories Sam.

Think the timing is more to do with Fogarty returning from injury and Schneider dropping back to NSW Cup. Sam is now a backup for reserve grade so felt it best to move on.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Northern Raider wrote: June 15, 2022, 6:52 am

Think the timing is more to do with Fogarty returning from injury and Schneider dropping back to NSW Cup. Sam is now a backup for reserve grade so felt it best to move on.
Or possibly to free up a top 30 spot for Woolford?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Do the dolphins have a halfback? He could get a gig there - maybe as a backup?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Honestly one of my all time favourite club man. He's always put the club first. I'll always remember his passion for the lime green

Thank you, Sammy

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: June 15, 2022, 6:52 am

Yes I thought the comment about “not wanting to get in the way of young talent coming through” didn’t reflect the reality of the situation. I wish him all the best and I suspect he will make a very good coach.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

EJ wrote:Honestly one of my all time favourite club man. He's always put the club first. I'll always remember his passion for the lime green

Thank you, Sammy ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Yeah I’ve always had a soft spot for him. Slightly biased. He’s a similar age to my cousin, and I watched Sammy deliver a whooping to him every grade they played together.

One of a rare bunch of undefeated captains out there.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Not a bad word to say about him as a clubman, despite his challenges with being a consistent first grade half he is a loss
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: June 15, 2022, 10:31 am Not a bad word to say about him as a clubman, despite his challenges with being a consistent first grade half he is a loss
Yep, a classic greenblood. One of those guys who has always been on the fringes at NRL level. Filled in admirably on occasions.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Absolutely fits the definition of "loyal club servant". We let him go so many times, but every time there was an opening, he always came straight back home. And I think the same will happen again - he is leaving now, but he will come home again, I know it - though this time probably as a coach.

And he gave us some really fun moments, too, as a player. In the later years maybe not so much, but he absolutely has stepped up on many occasions when we've needed him.

I hope the club is planning a big send-off on Sunday. He deserves it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sam Williams parts ways with Canberra Raiders

He made his NRL debut with the Canberra Raiders as a 19 year old.

But now a 31 year old Sam Williams has decided that his time with the club - as a player, at least - is now over.

Williams was the captain of the club's National Youth Competition side back in 2011. But a Matt Orford injury saw him included in the team to face Cronulla at Canberra Stadium in Round 1 that year.

He was the man of the match in the 40-12 thrashing of the Sharks.

He went on to play 107 NRL games, 103 of them in three separate stints with the Canberra Raiders.

"It's my time to leave the club," Williams said today.

"Over the last 16 or 17 years I guess I've been with the club now, since I started in Harold Matthews. I'm at that point now where I think the club is in a really good position going forward, especially in the halves."

"I didn't want to stay around and stop a younger player coming through the system and being able to get game time. Whether that be in first grade or reserve grade I think it's important they get given every opportunity to try and secure a deal going forward."

"I know that I'm leaving the club in a really good place. I think as a squad we're in a really good position and we've got a lot of depth."

"It's never easy, but I think it would have been selfish of me to keep playing for the rest of the year and prevent someone else from having that opportunity."

Williams hasn't given up on continuing his football career at the top level in the NRL or the English Super League.

"There's opportunities both here in Australia and overseas in the Super League," Williams said.

"It's a decision that myself and the family have to make whether or not it is something that we want to pursue."

"I'm lucky in the sense that my body has held up pretty well over the years. I'm not moving on because I can't get out of bed and go to training anymore."

"I don't want to say that it's the end. But if there's opportunities that we feel like we want to pursue as a family then we'll look to do that too."

Williams has played in the Super League before, making 12 appearances for French club Les Catalans in 2014 and 24 appearances for Wakefield Trinity in 2017. He also played four games for St George Illawarra in 2014.

But he's twice come home to the Raiders.

"It's always going to be my home club. The people here from the front desk through to the playing group, it really is home. It's been such a massive part of my life."

"This building here [Raiders HQ at Braddon] was just a little brick shack and we were coming into training as part of the Harold Matthews team in 2005. I've been lucky to see the club evolve and get to a position it is now. I've loved every minute of it."

"I've been so privileged to be able to play for the Raiders. To do it over 100 times is something that I'll treasure forever."

"As a young kid growing up in Cooma, you come down to the football and you watch your heroes play. To be able to be someone who pulled [the jersey] on 100 times is something I'll hold very close to my heart."

Williams counts the finals victory over the Cronulla Sharks in 2012 as one of his fondest memories playing with the club. He was an integral part of the breathtaking attack on that blue sky day at Canberra Stadium. The day commentator Ray Warren exclaimed, "Stop it! It's starting to hurt! Rugby league! Rugby league!", as the Raiders crossed for another try.

But there are some more recent moments that stand out for him too.

Like the day he captained the club - for the first and only time - in 2020, leading a team of rookies to a 38-28 victory over the Sharks. And the day he played his 100th NRL match for the club, just last year.

"The two main personal highlights, one being captaining the club with the little baby Raiders there a few years ago. That was something I thought I'd never get the opportunity to do," Williams said.

"I was so privileged to be able to lead this club out onto the field. So that was one."

"My good mate Jarrod Croker presenting my 100th jersery to me [was the other]. It's not something you think of growing up as a kid, but to get my jersey off him and someone who I've been with over 15, 16, 17 years, it was very special."

Williams says there is no chance he'll be back playing in a fourth stint with the club. But he would like to work at the club in the future.

"I don't think charging into Ricky's office for a new contact will be happening, so I might have to be working," Williams said, laughing.

"But that's one thing I'd like to do going forward, I don't think that this is the end of my time at the Raiders, whatever capacity that might be. It might be a simple as sitting on the hill and being a fan. But it's something I would never rule out."

"This part of the world is home for me and my family. This is where we're going to be long term. I'd like to think that there'll be some involvement with this club going forward."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Farewell Sam Williams: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... -williams/
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

**** he had some moments against the sharks
Debuts as MOTM in 40 point thrashing, beat them in the 2012 semi and was one of the best on the park that night, then took a team of literally squad filling rookies and did a job on them again :lol:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Well done Sam.

I know a few people from Cooma, they say he's a smashing fella. Probably chose the right time to walk away.

Wrung just about every drop he could out his talent and kept chasing that dream from NRL to Superleague and back again. There's plenty of NRL halves who never get much finals footy at all and he's led teams through some decent runs in there.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Botman wrote: June 15, 2022, 12:45 pm **** he had some moments against the sharks
Debuts as MOTM in 40 point thrashing, beat them in the 2012 semi and was one of the best on the park that night, then took a team of literally squad filling rookies and did a job on them again :lol:
He should get a farewell dinner where the main course is shark! :roflmao
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: June 15, 2022, 3:15 pm Well done Sam.

I know a few people from Cooma, they say he's a smashing fella. Probably chose the right time to walk away.

Wrung just about every drop he could out his talent and kept chasing that dream from NRL to Superleague and back again. There's plenty of NRL halves who never get much finals footy at all and he's led teams through some decent runs in there.
I actually always thought he was quite talented, more so than many other halves that have donned green along the way (Herbert McCrone, Cornish, Dobbo, Withers). He could do things in attack that none of them could, it's just the cracks in his game we're so readily exploited that they outweighed the natural talent.

Great clubman. Hope he gets a chance to go out contributing to a team rather than the past year and a bit he's had here.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on June 15, 2022, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have to say, I've been sad all day about this. Shed a tear or two watching the two videos put out by the club.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I'm not sad.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Wish him all the best though.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Love Sammy. Good luck champ.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Selfless person and good Clubman. Watching him come through the juniors I thought we had a possible Rep player. The NRL showed up some defensive frailties he was not able to overcome. Sticky even played him at hooker in scrums so he wasn't isolated. If footy is in his future I hope he finds a good Club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I wish Sam all the best as well. However, this thread does highlight to me I have a different interest in the raiders than many of my fellow supporters. Many seem to value the effort, loyalty, longevity and passion Sam brought to the club and while I respect that it isn’t something I feel I could bring to a conversation with Panther, Storm or Chook supporters. John Bateman had no loyalty or longevity but I’ll always value the impact he had on the club more than a long term nice guy journeyman.

I wish Sam well but no tears from me and hoping we trade up for success.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

greeneyed wrote: June 15, 2022, 12:30 pm "But that's one thing I'd like to do going forward, I don't think that this is the end of my time at the Raiders, whatever capacity that might be. It might be a simple as sitting on the hill and being a fan."
What hill? Canberra Stadium is all seats.

Regardless, good luck to him. He was never one of the best, but its hard not to be fond of someone who's as committed to the club as he is.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He'll be sitting on City Hill, watching between the gaps of two stadiums in our new Civic stadium
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are no gaps in modern stadiums. They go all the way around. They forgot to tell Newcastle.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Billy Walker wrote: June 15, 2022, 8:51 pm I wish Sam all the best as well. However, this thread does highlight to me I have a different interest in the raiders than many of my fellow supporters. Many seem to value the effort, loyalty, longevity and passion Sam brought to the club and while I respect that it isn’t something I feel I could bring to a conversation with Panther, Storm or Chook supporters. John Bateman had no loyalty or longevity but I’ll always value the impact he had on the club more than a long term nice guy journeyman.

I wish Sam well but no tears from me and hoping we trade up for success.
We get it.

You want to tick boxes.