31%

Total votes: 13

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: 2022 Rd 15 V Knights: Game Day

Post by Rickmando »

Double barrelled cannon required.

Rick in the left tube, Whitehead in the right one.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

mikeraider wrote:Matt Fawley has not been a raiders side that's been beaten now that's some Luck right there.
Pretty sure on BATP podcast they said we’ve lost when he’s played hooker, but not in the halves.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

mikeraider wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:20 pm Matt Fawley has not been a raiders side that's been beaten now that's some Luck right there.
That’s at five eighth. 7-0 at five eighth, 2-4 other positions.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

gangrenous wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:26 pm
mikeraider wrote:Matt Fawley has not been a raiders side that's been beaten now that's some Luck right there.
Pretty sure on BATP podcast they said we’ve lost when he’s played hooker, but not in the halves.
Frawley played in the halves v Nth Qld in the second round when Schneider was out
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Whitehead is a fair dinkum passenger out there yeah, needs to be punted ASAP. The other Elliot is doing far more.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Looks like Crash ball has corrected me that it’s specifically 5/8 not the halves
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:30 pm
Frawley played in the halves v Nth Qld in the second round when Schneider was out
Technically unbeaten when starting at five eighth for Canberra. Has lost playing hooker, halfback, and bench.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Finchy wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:52 pm
Technically unbeaten when starting at five eighth for Canberra. Has lost playing hooker, halfback, and bench.
And has lost many many games for us, other teams, other grades etc over the years.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Coastalraider wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:57 pm
Finchy wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:52 pm
And has lost many many games for us, other teams, other grades etc over the years.
Not sure if losing 4 and winning 9 amounts to “lost many many games for us”. Fair enough other teams and grades maybe.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

GreenMachine wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:59 pm One has to wonder what is going on in Ricky’s mind.
We should have racked up 30 points in the first half and the game would have been dead.
Instead we resuscitate Newcastle and try to hand them the game..at home too…
Actually footage:

And it's not knowing how to use the bench. We needed an impact player on in the last ten of the first half when we started to fizzle out a bit. Starling even in his less than stellar form would have cut them to pieces with fresh legs.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Joe Tapine..... wow. What's gotten into him this season?
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Re: A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by CRaid »

Great to see the boys play to the end with a positive attitude and snatch those valuable two points … more ticker than some.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: June 19, 2022, 7:54 pm Joe Tapine..... wow. What's gotten into him this season?
He's been incredible. Just about as good as a prop can play. Hard yards. Cut out passes for tries at the line. Big minutes. 200 run metres. It's ridiculous stuff.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Are we the only team in the comp that puts our losses and wins down to luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

By the way, nobody deserved to win that game, but I **** love the **** out of Hudson Young.

He and Tapine have been a huge highlight of our season for mine.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Seiffert82 wrote:By the way, nobody deserved to win that game, but I **** love the **** out of Hudson Young.

Tapine wad insane again, runs down Clune, saves a matchwinner with a slips catch after a 50m pursuit - he's finally realised how good he is.
Huddy was great again, bouncing off tackles and dropping attackers in their tracks, maybe he's drinking Tapine's coolaid

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:45 pm Did Ricky have the grace to say in the presser "We were just lucky"?
He said something like we've had a lot of unlucky losses so he'll take that one. When he said we need a bit of luck, he was referring to injuries. But, yes, luck's still a theme.
Hillsraider
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Hillsraider »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 19, 2022, 8:39 pm By the way, nobody deserved to win that game, but I **** love the **** out of Hudson Young.
That's two victories Hudson's snatched from the jaws of defeat this season (Rd 1 vs Sharks I believe?)

Credit to him based on his post-match interview with Fox and comments on Ponga specifically - bit of tactical knowledge combined with eyes-up footy. Could use a lot more of that footy IQ in our side
Hillsraider
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Hillsraider »

bonehead wrote: June 19, 2022, 9:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:By the way, nobody deserved to win that game, but I **** love the **** out of Hudson Young.

Tapine wad insane again, runs down Clune, saves a matchwinner with a slips catch after a 50m pursuit - he's finally realised how good he is.
Huddy was great again, bouncing off tackles and dropping attackers in their tracks, maybe he's drinking Tapine's coolaid

Maybe it's just me, but Timoko is the next guy I want to realise how good he is

Seems to have all the attributes - I just want more impact
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

raiderskater wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:09 pm
... the more I read, the angrier I am at the Knights for sending Ponga out to play a contact sport with, apparently, gastro. Not only is that bad for him, it's also in direct contravention of public health instructions.
It is difficult to understand how this happens. Surely the NRL and NSWRL have guidelines on it?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hillsraider wrote:

Timoko gets nowhere near enough ball.

It's actually ridiculous how little that side of the field gets any opportunities in attack. I couldn't give a crap about set plays or the fullback chiming in, I just want to see Timoko get early ball.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 19, 2022, 2:50 pm Short dropouts are not ridiculous at all. Other teams are doing them too
With two minutes to go to half time, a short drop out was a ridiculous decision. Absolutely ridiculous. I'd like to know who it actually was who decided that was a good idea.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote: June 19, 2022, 2:50 pm Short dropouts are not ridiculous at all. Other teams are doing them too
With two minutes to go to half time, a short drop out was a ridiculous decision. Absolutely ridiculous. I'd like to know who it actually was who decided that was a good idea.
Agreed, it was a dumb play.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

If you watch Young’s try again..every player outside him on the right was pretty much standing still bar Joe Tapine. There was no movement, no organisation, no set play motions. Absolutely nothing doing and no interest from anyone else to stand up when we needed it.

If Young didn’t do his thing, we’d probably have taken 2 more crash balls and died with it in the corner.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

greeneyed wrote: June 19, 2022, 10:40 pm
What downside of the play are you concerned with though, GE? That they get the ball 10 metres out instead of 30? That's a pretty marginal downside. It's an attacking set either way. And the upside is we may get the ball back, which we almost did. It had almost nothing to do with the ensuing try

The other downside is we give a penalty away, but players are pretty good at it these days and rarely botch it to that extent
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

greeneyed wrote: June 19, 2022, 10:26 pm
raiderskater wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:09 pm
... the more I read, the angrier I am at the Knights for sending Ponga out to play a contact sport with, apparently, gastro. Not only is that bad for him, it's also in direct contravention of public health instructions.
It is difficult to understand how this happens. Surely the NRL and NSWRL have guidelines on it?
I would also like to know why he was not sent to the HIA after he was 'poleaxed' in a tackle so bad that it was warranted for Whitehead to get sent to the sinbin. He played it up and in doing so demonstrated concussion symptoms from the severe whiplash that he laid down for. Penalty received and player sinbinned, on his feet, sets up a try in the next set of six. Surely there were visible criteria there that the independent doctor should have mandated a HIA based on the evidence used to sin bin the tackler.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 20, 2022, 9:16 am
What downside of the play are you concerned with though, GE? That they get the ball 10 metres out instead of 30? That's a pretty marginal downside. It's an attacking set either way. And the upside is we may get the ball back, which we almost did. It had almost nothing to do with the ensuing try

The other downside is we give a penalty away, but players are pretty good at it these days and rarely botch it to that extent
When you're 14-0 up and there's 90 seconds to go until halftime, you don't give the ball back 10m out from your try line. You hoof it downfield at least 50 metres, make them waste 3-4 tackles bringing it back to your tryline, and try to hold them out on the last. Instead we gave them a full set close to the line to score off. Which they did.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 19, 2022, 10:33 pm
Hillsraider wrote:

Timoko gets nowhere near enough ball.

It's actually ridiculous how little that side of the field gets any opportunities in attack. I couldn't give a crap about set plays or the fullback chiming in, I just want to see Timoko get early ball.

Yup it's a fatal flaw of our playmakers. They don't create doubt in the opposition defence or force them to make decisions, so invariably when we spread the opposition is numbered up. That's why our wingers get so few finishing chances in the corner, really they only come when a winger is hit with a cut out ball on the left.

Timoko has shown in recent weeks he can show up poor defenders, but early ball 1 on 1 won't do anything against the top teams unless there are fractures in the defensive line.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Botman wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:08 pm I dont know that it's tackling in that circumstances that needs to improve, it was the decision to go high.
Edrick Lee's got a reach on him that exceeds Savage... all he has to do is put a paw on him, doesnt even have to have any force, by simply keeping him at arms length, Savage has no play on the man beyond literal arm grabbing
The lesson you hope he learnt from that is on tall rangey players he needs to go hard and low. Situational decision making.

Experience is the best coach on that front... now whether he's clever and capable enough to learn from them. That remains to be seen.
I think is about the instinct to minimise the force of collision. Going high or low doesn't matter much without the acceleration into the contact. If he goes low and soft he just gets palmed off and ends up on the ground anyway.

Note I don't think he's soft. How he jumps for bombs and how he runs with the ball shows he has bravery. But it seems to be an instinct for him in these split second decisions when in defence. I wouldn't mind betting he got knocked out or hurt quite badly in the past at some stage in his early footy development.

Plenty of practice might help, but only simulated practice of these defensive situations. He needs to retrain that instinct.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: June 20, 2022, 10:51 am
Canberra Milk wrote: June 20, 2022, 9:16 am

When you're 14-0 up and there's 90 seconds to go until halftime, you don't give the ball back 10m out from your try line. You hoof it downfield at least 50 metres, make them waste 3-4 tackles bringing it back to your tryline, and try to hold them out on the last. Instead we gave them a full set close to the line to score off. Which they did.
That was exactly my point.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

They'll use two tackles at most to get into the red zone. It's really not a big deal, certainly not to the point of "ridiculous"
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Boomercm wrote: June 20, 2022, 11:25 am
Botman wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:08 pm I dont know that it's tackling in that circumstances that needs to improve, it was the decision to go high.
Edrick Lee's got a reach on him that exceeds Savage... all he has to do is put a paw on him, doesnt even have to have any force, by simply keeping him at arms length, Savage has no play on the man beyond literal arm grabbing
The lesson you hope he learnt from that is on tall rangey players he needs to go hard and low. Situational decision making.

Experience is the best coach on that front... now whether he's clever and capable enough to learn from them. That remains to be seen.
I think is about the instinct to minimise the force of collision. Going high or low doesn't matter much without the acceleration into the contact. If he goes low and soft he just gets palmed off and ends up on the ground anyway.

Note I don't think he's soft. How he jumps for bombs and how he runs with the ball shows he has bravery. But it seems to be an instinct for him in these split second decisions when in defence. I wouldn't mind betting he got knocked out or hurt quite badly in the past at some stage in his early footy development.

Plenty of practice might help, but only simulated practice of these defensive situations. He needs to retrain that instinct.
On reflection, I think he just needs to get his body in the way there. The rest should take care of itself. That's what Dugan used to do, the famous Dave Taylor tackle in particular. CNK seems to do it too

Although Reece Walsh is someone who gets his body in the way yet still gets pummelled lol
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I'm in conflict with myself on the short drop out

The reason to do it is exactly as CM says, there is very limited downside and huge upside, and for the most part these are what? 40-30% chances to get possession back? The way this stuff works is you just do it and do it all the time and trust that over the long haul you'll be better off for it. And i fully buy into that type of thinking about a lot of stuff in sport (the NFL is rife with this type of discussion when it comes to 4th down and 2pt conversions)/

But in the moment, when we were lining up, i was begging them to go long. The knights were not looking that threatening, i felt comfortable we could have defended a full set from 30-40 out, rather than try and defend a full set inside our 10.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 20, 2022, 11:43 am
Boomercm wrote: June 20, 2022, 11:25 am

On reflection, I think he just needs to get his body in the way there. The rest should take care of itself. That's what Dugan used to do, the famous Dave Taylor tackle in particular. CNK seems to do it too

Although Reece Walsh is someone who gets his body in the way yet still gets pummelled lol
It's an area of his game to develop. Plenty of time to work on that. It's a common issue with most teenage fullbacks coming into the NRL. Be hard pressed to find examples of ones that consistently put their body on the line in defense at that age. Somewhat ironic that the best example is 13 years ago by a guy who has since been referred to on this forum as "soft serve".
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.