31%

Total votes: 13

kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2022 Rd 15 V Knights: Game Day

Post by kona_dream »

BadnMean wrote: June 19, 2022, 3:56 pm
Timbo wrote: June 19, 2022, 3:03 pm Matt Frawley has kicked out on the full and hurled one three metres behind his man in the last ten minutes.

Yeah, he’s the guy to take us forward.
Sorry Jack, we just can't leave Frawls out. We'll fit you in at lock.
For me this is a yes. We need some ball playing and the ability to provide our back some early ball. This would allow A Elliot to move to back up hooker/forward and Starling to NSW cup. Jack is such a strong runner and defended with a semi decent passing game. Simplifying he is game seems to bring the best out of him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Edricks first try..the pathetic attempt from Savage.

I WOODA SMASHED HIM INTO TO FENCE..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Question wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:29 pm Watching the kid grow is the only highlight I have watching this bumbling pack of goons.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
I feel like watching him is one of my highlights too. He does some great things.

But he also hung off Edrick like a bad halloween costume for 10m when he strolled over. And he had another loose carry (and wanted to challenge it). And when he knocked back the 40/20 I near choked on my biscuit.

It is what it is.
Last edited by Boomercm on June 19, 2022, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Greenev wrote: June 19, 2022, 3:56 pm Glad we won but a couple points.

1. Fogarty is nothing we were looking for, he is useless

2. Starling is killing us, sack him please

3. Whitehead is trash, how can we be inspired by that?

4. Yes savage has made some errors, but he is raw and we know that, his upside is 2x any player in our team and that’s that.

5. Sack Ricky - **** were we doing with our rotations towards the end there?

6. Give Tapine 2mil per year, no questions asked cheers
Hard to argue with any of that. A win to be quickly forgotten and to learn nothing from I'm sure.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Is this the bit of luck Ricky's been looking for?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Mission Accomplished - 2 competition points. If you didn't get excited with Hudson Young's effort at the end check your pulse. Savage's catch for his try was fantastic. Timoko burning his opposite number for his try and Cotric with a hit and spin for his try showed we have some good young players with the ball. We still have some dumb plays in us. We no longer put our heads down after the dumb plays though. Even when behind near the end the side did not give up.

I hope we can make the 8. For the same reasons Savage is in the side, to gain experience. The side needs to play in big matches to gain experience at that level. We have a lot of young blokes who will benefit from being there. Also some older blokes who would love and deserve another opportunity like Tapine. We have the opportunity to draw level with the Dragons on competition points if we win next week. The Chooks play the Panthers and the Sea Eagles play Melbourne. Even with players having no rest due to Origin Panthers and Melbourne sides will be a big chance of rolling the Chooks with Teddy in Origin and Sea Eagles with DCE also in Origin. You little beauty if that all falls into place for the Raiders next round.
Last edited by RedRaider on June 19, 2022, 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

In hindsight how important was Taps getting the ball back in play on our goal line ?

Down by 4 with 3mins on the clock.

Without that play we drop out, maybe concede pts and definitely lose.
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

-PJ- wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:45 pm In hindsight how important was Taps getting the ball back in play on our goal line ?

Down by 4 with 3mins on the clock.

Without that play we drop out, maybe concede pts and definitely lose.
Play of the game (even over Hudson’s try). Let’s not forget the cut out pass to Cotric for our first try.

He’s the best prop in the game (and not just for run metres) and the team and coaching staff aren’t giving what he deserves.

Make him captain, he seemed to relish the role for NZ Maroi’s
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

If we make the 8 it will literally be Joey dragging us into it single-handedly. It's him and daylight second and third

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

3 errors in our first 3 sets to start the 2nd half.

What is wrong with these fellas ?

14-6 and Spewcastle were shot, then as we do..WE CATCH DUMB !!!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:39 pm Edricks first try..the pathetic attempt from Savage.

Mate, fullbacks like Belcher, Shif would have nailed him.

I'm having faith Savage will learn from that and next time take the legs 🦵
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Joey Tapine keeping the ball in play was huge. Saved the game.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

One has to wonder what is going on in Ricky’s mind.
We should have racked up 30 points in the first half and the game would have been dead.
Instead we resuscitate Newcastle and try to hand them the game..at home too…
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:57 pm
-PJ- wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:39 pm Edricks first try..the pathetic attempt from Savage.

It weren’t a good look.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Is tackling something that can be learned? This is what I'm trying to work out. Dugan was good from the get go, as was CNK. Is there any player (particularly fullback) who started poor, then got better?

I'm less worried about his handling. That seems technique based, the way he holds the ball. I think that can be fixed
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

kona_dream wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:35 pm
BadnMean wrote: June 19, 2022, 3:56 pm
Timbo wrote: June 19, 2022, 3:03 pm Matt Frawley has kicked out on the full and hurled one three metres behind his man in the last ten minutes.

Yeah, he’s the guy to take us forward.
Sorry Jack, we just can't leave Frawls out. We'll fit you in at lock.
For me this is a yes. We need some ball playing and the ability to provide our back some early ball. This would allow A Elliot to move to back up hooker/forward and Starling to NSW cup. Jack is such a strong runner and defended with a semi decent passing game. Simplifying he is game seems to bring the best out of him.
Timbo and I were being sarcastic...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:58 pm Joey Tapine keeping the ball in play was huge. Saved the game.
Yeah and at that stage we weren’t to know what would happen just 60 secs later ( Hudson’s try)

It was a massive play.

Had me reaching for the ky.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont know that it's tackling in that circumstances that needs to improve, it was the decision to go high.
Edrick Lee's got a reach on him that exceeds Savage... all he has to do is put a paw on him, doesnt even have to have any force, by simply keeping him at arms length, Savage has no play on the man beyond literal arm grabbing
The lesson you hope he learnt from that is on tall rangey players he needs to go hard and low. Situational decision making.

Experience is the best coach on that front... now whether he's clever and capable enough to learn from them. That remains to be seen.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:02 pm

Is tackling something that can be learned? This is what I'm trying to work out. Dugan was good from the get go, as was CNK. Is there any player (particularly fullback) who started poor, then got better?

I'm less worried about his handling. That seems technique based, the way he holds the ball. I think that can be fixed
Slater.
Jarrod Croker.
I don't remember Trbo ever being bad but he certainly got better. As did Gutho.

He'll probably never be zooming around smashing blokes but there's no reason he can't improve and become competent at it.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Has Frawley been in a beaten side ?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-PJ- wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:12 pm Has Frawley been in a beaten side ?
No. Hope this helps.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders break Newcastle Knights' hearts late thanks to Hudson Young

If Hudson Young was anywhere near Lake Burley Griffin he'd probably be able to walk across. Such was the miracle he produced to save the Canberra Raiders from another second-half fade out. And another Kalyn Ponga-inspired loss to the Newcastle Knights.

Instead, Young's last-gasp try gave the Green Machine a 20-18 victory at Canberra Stadium on Sunday. Young grubbered in behind the Knights line and charged on to his own ball to score with less than two minutes on the clock when it all looked lost.

CANBERRA RAIDERS 20 (Nick Cotric, Matt Timoko, Xavier Savage, Hudson Young tries; Jamal Fogarty 2 goals) defeated NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS 18 (Kurt Mann, Mat Croker, Edrick Lee tries; Kalyn Ponga 3 goals) at Canberra Stadium. Referee: Ashley Klein.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine grown into a future New Zealand Kiwis leader: Ricky Stuart

It's not just Joe Tapine's game that's gone to the next level - throwing Ricky Stuart-esque cut-out passes to wingers and the like - but his leadership as well.

"The change in Joe is the reaction and change of speed in his game," Stuart said. "I know our defence coaches have been working tirelessly with him on that over the last three or four years.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders escape with last-minute win over brave Newcastle Knights: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/19/rai ... st-minute/

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders win in an absolute thriller: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... -thriller/

Suspected broken collar bone for heroic James Schiller: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/01/25/nrl ... jury-news/

Young steals victory with epic solo try as Raiders shed faders tag: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b5c39f9c70

‘So slow and ugly’: Ricky frustrated with referees despite Raiders win: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 253370ae4f

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Raiders v Knights: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/19/mat ... v-knights/

PRESS CONFERENCES: Raiders v Knights: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... d-15-2022/

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... -round-15/

Newcastle Knights coach Adam O'Brien: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... -round-15/

GALLERY: Raiders v Knights: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/2 ... =775738542

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... son-young/

IN THE SHEDS: Hudson Young: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... son-young/

MOMENT OF THE WEEK: Hudson Young try: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... nning-try/

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Wow, a presser where I agreed with much of what Ricky said.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Did Ricky have the grace to say in the presser "We were just lucky"?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Absolutely disgusting performance but a win is a win. God we play like garbage against the Knights, over the past few years. And those second halfs ... they need to fix it up. Our bench use is ridiculously bad. Hudson Young is such a grub. I'd like him to remain competitive but get that rubbish out of his game.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Boomercm wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:40 pm
Question wrote: June 19, 2022, 4:29 pm Watching the kid grow is the only highlight I have watching this bumbling pack of goons.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
I feel like watching him is one of my highlights too. He does some great things.

But he also hung off Edrick like a bad halloween costume for 10m when he strolled over. And he had another loose carry (and wanted to challenge it). And when he knocked back the 40/20 I near choked on my biscuit.

It is what it is.
I said it earlier in the year, and I'll say it again - he's not an NRL level rugby player. He needs a season in reserves.

Having said, I think he's improving every week, seems to learn quickly from his mistakes and has plenty of positives in his game. He'll be a force in 2023 and beyond if he can get his defence up to scratch.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I doubt we will make the 8.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

T_R wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:45 pm Did Ricky have the grace to say in the presser "We were just lucky"?
He did say "we just need some luck".
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Thing is we don’t *need* some luck if we rejig the strategy and play smart.

We needed luck to escape from being our own worst enemies.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We would fair dinkum have to be one of the dumbest teams I have ever seen grace a football field.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

9 minute press conference....

That's gotta be a new record for ricky
Perth Based Raiders Fan
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

We sure didn't deserve to win, but we did, so I'll take it.

That said, the more I read, the angrier I am at the Knights for sending Ponga out to play a contact sport with, apparently, gastro. Not only is that bad for him, it's also in direct contravention of public health instructions.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:50 pm
T_R wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:45 pm Did Ricky have the grace to say in the presser "We were just lucky"?
He talked about being unlucky other times. So... almost.

Complained about disruption to the spine.

Boys being lethargic and playing ugly. Lacking fluency. Slow and ugly (on the ground due to reffing).

Hudson Young gets an extended wrap and questions from journos.

Discussing lower grade results. Clubman style.

Talks up Tapine as a leader/ future captain of NZ... interesting.

Oh gawd he was doing so well and then finishes by saying we just need some luck.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

BadnMean wrote: June 19, 2022, 6:18 pm
Azza wrote: June 19, 2022, 5:50 pm
He talked about being unlucky other times. So... almost.

No - he actually used the words "we just need some luck". :lol:
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Matt Fawley has not been a raiders side that's been beaten now that's some Luck right there.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.