16%
Knights 13+
32%

Total votes: 19

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 Rd 15 V Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

I think Trevilyan would go to another level too, if given the chance. He and Schneider combine well in the spine.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Azza wrote:The point was simply made that Ricky doesn't criticise his players in the media. I was asking why he criticised Savage quite openly in the press conference. I wasn't talking about whether the comments were blown out of proportion or not.
I didn't get the impression that he was criticising savage. What i got from that press conference was more that he was having a go at media circles demanding for savage to play first grade, when he clearly had a plan to ease him into the side. His comments were "hes a rookie and will make mistakes but id prefer him to make those mistakes in reserve grade". It was more out of frustration about what he saw as the pressure being placed on him to start savage. You can agree with his methods or not but he was clearly frustrated at those calls to start savage and lashed out at the critisim.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He wasnt have a go at the media. He was taking a very direct shot at the fans who mostly rightly saw this kid needed to be given minutes. There really wasnt any media pressure to play him, it was fan pressure. Which has proven 100% right btw, given CNK's abysmal form, you wont find many arguing anymore that Savage shouldnt be getting that game time.

And he threw a young player under the bus to take that shot, and for what? What fan thought Savage wouldnt make mistakes? What decent fan doesnt think rookies will occasionally make very bad errors? None i've know.
It was frankly one of the more absurd things i've ever seen a coach do.
A true lowlight of his tenure.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Botman wrote:He wasnt have a go at the media. He was taking a very direct shot at the fans who mostly rightly saw this kid needed to be given minutes. There really wasnt any media pressure to play him, it was fan pressure. Which has proven 100% right btw, given CNK's abysmal form, you wont find many arguing anymore that Savage shouldnt be getting that game time.

And he threw a young player under the bus to take that shot, and for what? What fan thought Savage wouldnt make mistakes? What decent fan doesnt think rookies will occasionally make very bad errors? None i've know.
It was frankly one of the more absurd things i've ever seen a coach do.
A true lowlight of his tenure.
I think you're overreacting to his comments, i didn't think he was throwing anyone under the bus, just pointing out that a rookie will make mistakes. but other than that i do agree with most of your points. And there was definitely pressure in the media to start him, maybe that media pressure was based on fan pressure, but it was still there.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He took the time to single out a rookie who made exactly one mistake, when that rookie was thrown on with 12 minutes left in hopes that he might save a lost game, the coach disregarded the decision made by a season veteran to put the rookie in a bad spot, did not comment on the HORRENDOUS amount of errors coming from veteran players in that game and others prior that resulted in such poor results... But he didnt **** blink when he was given an opportunity to bus the kid the fans wanted to see as if to prove he's smarter than everyone else (and that he may be!).

i dont know what you listened to. But it's not an overraction. The HC did what he did. We know why he did it, he did it in reaction to pressure. But that's a bad excuse for a **** decision. I would bet very good money if you asked Stuart today he'd tell you privately he regrets his comments on that day. As he should.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:55 pm I agree Schneider has clearly gone to another level. How he’s gone in NSW Cup the last couple of weeks really shows how far.
It's been great to see him go back and play really well. I think he'll come back into firsts with more confidence in attack next time.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2022, 8:51 pm He took the time to single out a rookie who made exactly one mistake, when that rookie was thrown on with 12 minutes left in hopes that he might save a lost game, the coach disregarded the decision made by a season veteran to put the rookie in a bad spot, did not comment on the HORRENDOUS amount of errors coming from veteran players in that game and others prior that resulted in such poor results... But he didnt **** blink when he was given an opportunity to bus the kid the fans wanted to see as if to prove he's smarter than everyone else (and that he may be!).

i dont know what you listened to. But it's not an overraction. The HC did what he did. We know why he did it, he did it in reaction to pressure. But that's a bad excuse for a **** decision. I would bet very good money if you asked Stuart today he'd tell you privately he regrets his comments on that day. As he should.
As soon as he heard the question you could tell he perked up for some I TOLD YAs SO :roflmao . I think his intent was more I was right and you're wrong, but it showed a lack of awareness for Savage. Seems like a storm in a tea cup though in terms of impact, the media barely touched it.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Botman wrote: June 16, 2022, 8:51 pm He took the time to single out a rookie who made exactly one mistake, when that rookie was thrown on with 12 minutes left in hopes that he might save a lost game, the coach disregarded the decision made by a season veteran to put the rookie in a bad spot, did not comment on the HORRENDOUS amount of errors coming from veteran players in that game and others prior that resulted in such poor results... But he didnt **** blink when he was given an opportunity to bus the kid the fans wanted to see as if to prove he's smarter than everyone else (and that he may be!).

As soon as he heard the question you could tell he perked up for some I TOLD YAs SO :roflmao . I think his intent was more I was right and you're wrong, but it showed a lack of awareness for Savage. Seems like a storm in a tea cup though in terms of impact, the media barely touched it.
Yeah as i mentioned his comments were more out of frustration at the pressure he felt to start savage. i think the reaction here is a little extreme, if it was that big a deal there would have been more come from it.

Anyway at this point we are going around in circles so we can agree to disagree.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

greeneyed wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:55 pm I agree Schneider has clearly gone to another level. How he’s gone in NSW Cup the last couple of weeks really shows how far.
That is great to hear. I think in first grade he showed he had the foundation in place to build on. If he's building on that already, that's a great sign

I'm a Savage fanboi and I like Woolford, so my biggest spine concern is the halves. So that's great news re Schneider
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Neeeegz wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:52 pm I'll give the fog one more game before I start asking questions, but Schneider learnt something from his time in firsts, and I think he will have a higher ceiling than fogarty over time
Judging by his last couple of games in nsw cup I mean
I'm far more hopeful about Schneider than Fog - especially if he can improve his decision making speed and running game. The former hasn't hit his ceiling - Fog looks like a player of very limited capabilities playing at his top end. Hope I'm wrong though.
Last edited by Azza on June 17, 2022, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Azza wrote: June 17, 2022, 11:07 am
Neeeegz wrote: June 16, 2022, 7:52 pm I'll give the fog one more game before I start asking questions, but Schneider learnt something from his time in firsts, and I think he will have a higher ceiling than fogarty over time
I'm far more hopeful about Schneider than Fog. The former hasn't hit his ceiling - Fog looks like a player of very limited capabilities playing at his top end. Hope I'm wrong though.
I prefer Schneider at this point too. If Fogarty had a solid kicking game, I'd have him in front. But his kicking has been mediocre so far. I do realise Fogarty is only a few games in though and I have no issues with giving him some more time for now. If there's no improvement, I'd rather play Schneider and allow him to develop in the NRL.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raider Azz wrote:
Azza wrote:The point was simply made that Ricky doesn't criticise his players in the media. I was asking why he criticised Savage quite openly in the press conference. I wasn't talking about whether the comments were blown out of proportion or not.
I didn't get the impression that he was criticising savage. What i got from that press conference was more that he was having a go at media circles demanding for savage to play first grade, when he clearly had a plan to ease him into the side. His comments were "hes a rookie and will make mistakes but id prefer him to make those mistakes in reserve grade". It was more out of frustration about what he saw as the pressure being placed on him to start savage. You can agree with his methods or not but he was clearly frustrated at those calls to start savage and lashed out at the critisim.

And to a large extent he was on the money.

I'm clearly in the minority here, but Savage is still learning the fundamentals of the game... however he's now doing it in First Grade.

His defence is not up to standard, his passing is average and his ball security is downright poor.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: June 17, 2022, 11:24 am
I'm far more hopeful about Schneider than Fog. The former hasn't hit his ceiling - Fog looks like a player of very limited capabilities playing at his top end. Hope I'm wrong though.
I prefer Schneider at this point too. If Fogarty had a solid kicking game, I'd have him in front. But his kicking has been mediocre so far. I do realise Fogarty is only a few games in though and I have no issues with giving him some more time for now. If there's no improvement, I'd rather play Schneider and allow him to develop in the NRL.
Based on highlights, i agree he looks to have gone up a level since returning to NSW Cup which is awesome to see. Id like to see him stay there this year myself, let him keep building on that confidence and on those areas of his game which were found lacking in FG (the aforementioned processing/passing speed and running game). It's a lot of jumps to make but if he can do that, maybe there isn't even a competition for that #7 jersey for 2023. But i can understand the thinking of getting those minutes into Schneider instead

Fogarty is and was always only going to be the best stop gap/band aid solution we could find on short notice. I'd give him another month of footy, see how his play trends... and by then we'll know where we stand in terms of the ladder... if we're in the 8, it probably means Fog is playing well and the team is trending up
If not, i think it would be reasonable at that point to bring Schneider back in and see if the step up he looks to have taken is visible at NRL level
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

great to hear this. I have high hopes for us on the back of him and Trev
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

The Raiders will struggle to purchase any marquee half, so to have a seasoned first grader (even if not amazing), plus a young guy snapping at his heels... both who have good attitudes and heads switched on... that's probably as good as we can hope for. I think Ricky has managed it as well as possible
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: June 17, 2022, 11:57 am
Based on highlights, i agree he looks to have gone up a level since returning to NSW Cup which is awesome to see. Id like to see him stay there this year myself, let him keep building on that confidence and on those areas of his game which were found lacking in FG (the aforementioned processing/passing speed and running game). It's a lot of jumps to make but if he can do that, maybe there isn't even a competition for that #7 jersey for 2023. But i can understand the thinking of getting those minutes into Schneider instead

Fogarty is and was always only going to be the best stop gap/band aid solution we could find on short notice. I'd give him another month of footy, see how his play trends... and by then we'll know where we stand in terms of the ladder... if we're in the 8, it probably means Fog is playing well and the team is trending up
If not, i think it would be reasonable at that point to bring Schneider back in and see if the step up he looks to have taken is visible at NRL level
That's a sensible approach but I have a feeling we will see Fogarty named in the 7 jersey for the rest of the season barring injury.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 17, 2022, 11:51 am And to a large extent he was on the money.

I'm clearly in the minority here, but Savage is still learning the fundamentals of the game... however he's now doing it in First Grade.

His defence is not up to standard, his passing is average and his ball security is downright poor.
You are right about those facts. The difference is I/most of us think we need to pick him regardless. We have a very weak spine in attack, we just can't go back to CNK. Savage is no ballplayer but he gives early ball to centres at least, that's already more than CNK

His defence is not strong but it hasn't been catastrophic as some were predicting either
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Fog has to start from scratch and build up some fundamentals, kick well with a variety of kicks (he's already becoming annoying with his bomb every kick no matter where or when), engage the defensive line and give the outside men a chance with some shape.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

4 ex Raiders in the 17 playing against us this weekend - Edrick, Milford, Barnett, and Leo Thompson

Wonder what the record is
Ray170
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Ray170 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 17, 2022, 2:33 pm 4 ex Raiders in the 17 playing against us this weekend - Edrick, Milford, Barnett, and Leo Thompson

Ex Broncos playing against them for the Dragons a few seasons back would have to come close.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 17, 2022, 11:51 am And to a large extent he was on the money.

You are right about those facts. The difference is I/most of us think we need to pick him regardless. We have a very weak spine in attack, we just can't go back to CNK. Savage is no ballplayer but he gives early ball to centres at least, that's already more than CNK

His defence is not strong but it hasn't been catastrophic as some were predicting either
The form of CNK, exacerbated by his injury has given us no other choice.

I'm fine with Savage being given a shot. I give him a lot of credit for his energy and involvement. He has been decent under the high ball for a guy that's not very big.

The fact is, Stuart was absolutely right about him not being as ready as a coach would have liked, but he's still backing him while CNK is out. Time will tell how it plays out in the long run.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Ray170 wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 17, 2022, 2:33 pm 4 ex Raiders in the 17 playing against us this weekend - Edrick, Milford, Barnett, and Leo Thompson

Ex Broncos playing against them for the Dragons a few seasons back would have to come close.
We had 4 ex dogs against the Doggies the other week if you include Woolford(never making FG with them)
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The rotating spine at the heart of the Canberra Raiders' woes

It's the rotating spine at the heart of the Canberra Raiders' inconsistency, but coach Ricky Stuart feels their game was finally heading in the right direction.

"We had a slow start through some things we couldn't control, but what we could control was a lot of our error and possession and we were poor in that area. The one thing that has really hurt us is the disruption to our spine. I think you'll find this week is our second week since round six where we've had our spine two weeks in a row," coach Ricky Stuart said today.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... and-blues/

There's something about Newcastle Knights fullback Kalyn Ponga and the Canberra Raiders

Newcastle Knights fullback Kalyn Ponga has become a constant thorn in the Green Machine's side when he's wearing the No.1 jersey. Ponga's played five games against Canberra in his 94-game NRL career, winning four.

"He's a wonderful player and we do a lot of research on his game," Ricky Stuart said. "We all know what he's best at, it's just a matter of trying to nullify it. We've got our defensive plans and structures to nullify that type of attacker, but like all the good players you've got a plan but the good ones they back their skill.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

He's no Benji against us

Yet

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Jacko has Covid and out of Sunday and Origin 2.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Jack tested positive to COVID out of the game and SOOII
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Wighton out with COVID. Will miss Origin too.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Thanks for all 3 of you repeating it

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders lose Jack Wighton for Newcastle Knights clash

The Canberra Raiders and NSW Blues have been dealt a massive blow with Jack Wighton ruled out due to COVID-19. It means he'll miss the Raiders' crucial clash against the Newcastle Knights at Canberra Stadium on Sunday as well as State of Origin II in Perth next weekend. The Raiders have applied to the NRL for an exemption to bring Matt Frawley into the 22 to cover Wighton.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... and-blues/

Jack Wighton ruled out of Knights clash: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... k-wighton/
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Jackie boy's got COVID

You heard it here first

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: June 17, 2022, 12:29 pm
Botman wrote: June 17, 2022, 11:57 am

That's a sensible approach but I have a feeling we will see Fogarty named in the 7 jersey for the rest of the season barring injury.
Well that aged poorly, I’ve got very good mail that Wighton is out with covid this week
Looks like Brad will get a shot this week :lol:
Last edited by Botman on June 17, 2022, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Hope he’s alright. I just get out of isolation tomorrow - was pretty mild but I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Has Wighton tested positive for Covid? Asking for a friend.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Azza wrote: June 17, 2022, 7:41 pm Thanks for all 3 of you repeating it

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I didn’t repeat it. I was first. :lol: :lol:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

We are 3 and 0 without Jack this year. We are 3 and 8 with him even if he won two of those by himself.