2022 Rd 14 V Broncos: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos
Saturday 11 June, 7:35pm
Lang Park
Gates open: 6:00pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Sunny. Winds westerly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light before dawn then becoming westerly 20 to 30 km/h in the morning. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent Min 7 Max 18

The Raiders head back to Brisbane for the third time this year, to face the resurgent Brisbane Broncos. The Green Machine don't have the best of records at Lang Park in recent years, but they'll be looking to build on their recent Magic Round victory at Lang Park against the Sharks.

Last round: 2022 Round 13. Canberra Raiders 22 - Sydney Roosters 16. It was a clash devoid of both teams' Origin representatives. Other players were sidelined due to injury. But it was gripping clash nonetheless. The Roosters ran hard, direct and fast as they attempted a comeback in the second half - with halfback Luke Keary setting up some slick plays. But Canberra's inspiring defence ultimately prevailed. When the Raiders stopped the last Roosters' attacking raid of the match, and the hooter sounded, there were virtually no celebrations. They were simply too exhausted.

More on Round 13: As I saw it

Team news: Canberra stars Josh Papalli and Jack Wighton will return from Origin duty and have been named in their usual positions. Corey Horsburgh drops to the bench. Matt Frawley drops to the reserves list. Corey Harawira-Naera has been added to the bench, after being ruled out last week due to COVID protocols. After making his debut against the Roosters, Trey Mooney drops to the extended bench. Winger Jordan Rapana has been suspended for one week, after being charged with grade two dangerous contact following an incident involving Egan Butcher on Sunday. He will be replaced by James Schiller.

Adam Reynolds (hamstring) returns for the Broncos, with Ezra Mam shifting to five eighth and Tyson Gamble dropping out. Origin representatives Payne Haas, Selwyn Cobbo and Patrick Carrigan will back up, but the Broncos ruled out Kotoni Staggs (shoulder) on Friday. Kurt Capewell will be rested, with TC Robati named as his replacement in the second row.

Late changes: The teams reduced their squads to 19 on Friday night. The Raiders are 1-17, with Semi Valemei and Matt Frawley retained on the extended bench. The Broncos ruled out Kotoni Staggs on Friday morning, replacing him with Brenko Lee. They also ruled out Selwyn Cobbo on Friday night, after Cobbo failed to finish today's captain's run. Jordan Periera will make his NRL debut on the wing in place of Cobbo.

History: The Raiders have won 22 of 53 matches against the Brisbane Broncos, with one draw. That’s just a 42 per cent win rate. Until the Round 6 clash of 2019, Canberra was on a six game losing streak against the Broncos - but have now won the past three matches. It was a fairly narrow win in 2019 (26-22), but there were big margins in 2020 (36-8) and last year (38-16). All three games were played at Canberra Stadium. The Raiders have won four of the past 10 matches between the clubs.

2021 Round 14: Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

2020 Round 14: Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

The Raiders have only won four of 18 matches against Brisbane at Lang Park. The last time they beat the Broncos at the venue was in 2010 (18-16), when they knocked the Brisbane out of the finals. It was the first time the Broncos had missed out in almost 20 years. The Raiders also won only once in the six matches played at the northern capital's QEII Stadium, between 1993 and 2002. The Raiders have won eight of the 26 games they've played at Lang Park, including victories over the Crushers, Bulldogs and Sharks.

Form: Raiders: WWWLW
Broncos: WWWWW

The Broncos are on a six game winning streak, with their last loss coming against the Panthers (40-12) at Penrith. Since then, they've beaten the Bulldogs (34-14), Sharks (16-7), Rabbitohs (32-12), Sea Eagles (38-0), Knights (36-12) and Titans (35-24). Only two of those teams are currently in the top eight.

Betting: The Broncos are $1.50 favourites, with the Raiders paying $2.60. The Raiders have 5.5 points start in the line betting. There has been a slight shift back to the Raiders late this week.

Stat attack: This is a clash between fourth (Broncos) and 11th (Raiders) on the ladder. Despite Canberra's win last week, the Sea Eagle's big victory over the Warriors saw the Manly outfit jump over the Raiders into 10th place.

The differences between the defensive and attacking records of the Raiders and Broncos are not as marked as the rankings on the ladder might suggest. On a per game basis, the Broncos have scored 3.8 tries, the Raiders exactly three. The Broncos have conceded 2.9 tries per game, the Raiders 2.5.

But there is no doubt the Broncos are travelling a lot better this season - following the arrival of Adam Reynolds. They have already won one more game than they did in the whole of 2021, and five more than in 2020.

2022 Season record: Raiders 6 and 7 (11th, -35)
Broncos 8 and 4 (4th, +63)

Attack: Raiders 18 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked equal 10th on tries scored
Broncos 22 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked eighth on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 21 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked seventh on fewest tries conceded
Broncos 17 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked fourth on fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 49 per cent, Broncos 50 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 75 per cent, Broncos 78 per cent

Running: Raiders 1314 running metres per match
Broncos 1439 running metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 28, Broncos 32 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 3, Broncos 4 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Broncos 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 12, Broncos 8 per match

Kicking: Raiders 478 kicking metres per match
Broncos 563 kicking metres per match

Tackling: Raiders 88 per cent tackle efficiency
Broncos 87 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1340 running metres conceded per match
Broncos 1459 running metres conceded per match

Errors: Raiders 10, Broncos 10 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 7, Broncos 6 per match

Key match-ups:

Xavier Savage and Te Maire Martin: Xavier Savage has grabbed his opportunity at fullback with both hands, while Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is sidelined with a hamstring injury. He is improving every week, looking more assured every week. Against the Roosters, he scored a try after brilliantly picking up a pass that fell to his feet. He also produced 203 running metres 105 kick return metres and one try assist. Te Maire Martin has made an extraordinary return to the game this year, after concussion problems forced his retirement at the start of 2020. This year he has six appearances at fullback, coming into the team in Round 7. So far he's got one try, three try assists and five line break assists. He's averaging 94 running metres a game. Martin has 61 NRL game to his name, so he's the more experienced player. But I think Savage shades him in this match-up.

Jamal Fogarty and Adam Reynolds: Jamal Fogarty now has two games in green to his name. While he produced a couple of errors last week, he settling in pretty well. In his two matches, he's posted a try assist, and offload, 51 average running metres and 267 average kicking metres. Adam Reynolds has missed the past couple of games, but he's been incredibly influential since joining the Broncos for the 2022 season. In nine appearances, he has four tries, six forced drop outs, 11 try assists, five line break assists, 55 average running metres and 502 average kicking metres. Fogarty and the rest of the Raiders are going to have their hands full, containing him.

Josh Papalii and Payne Haas: The leaders of the pack for both teams. Both will be backing up from Origin duties, Papalii with the Maroons and Haas with the Blues. Papalii was named Dally M Prop of the Year in 2020, Haas in 2021. This year, Papalii has scored two tries and posted 29 tackle breaks, 23 offloads, 125 running metres and 26 tackles per game. His tackle efficiency rate is 98 per cent and he virtually never makes an error. That is with a slow start. Haas has no tries, but outpoints Papalii on running metres (176 per game) and tackles (34 per game). His tackle efficiency rate is slightly better (99 per cent). Based on the most recent form for the two players, I'll call this match-up a draw.

My tip: The Broncos are warm favourites, but I'm not sure that the result of this game is as clear cut as the odds suggest. The Broncos have looked good, but often against low quality opposition. The Raiders are playing basic, no frills footy. They're back to "the grind" big time, after the experiment with more expansive attack early in the year did not pay off. But some wins are building confidence. They have been winning the middle and that is what teams need to do first of all if they're to earn the right to attack. There are some budding combinations in the spine. And in their past five games, the Raiders have three wins over top eight teams. The Broncos have two. I'm going with the upset. Raiders by six or less.

What they're saying:

Xavier Savage: "I'm learning every week and my goal is to be better. I'm far from perfect. I'm still a bit rough around the edges but I'm just trying to be more confident in my carries and just play textbook footy, instead of trying to be fancy."

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. James Schiller
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Corey Harawira-Naera
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Semi Valemei
19. Matt Frawley

Injury/Suspension

Jordan Rapana, Suspension (Rd 15)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Hamstring (Rd 18-19)
Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Season)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)

Brisbane Broncos

1. Te Maire Martin
2. Corey Oates
4. Herbie Farnworth
21. Brenko Lee
20. Jordan Pereira
6. Ezra Mam
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Corey Jensen
9. Billy Walters
10. Payne Haas
11. Teui Robati
12. Jordan Riki
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Kobe Hetherington
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Keenan Palasia

18. Delouise Hoeter
19. Rhys Kennedy

Injury/Suspension

Kotoni Staggs, Shoulder (TBA)
Tesi Niu, Hamstring (Rd 17)
Albert Kelly, Foot (Rd 20-21)

Officials

Referee: Grant Atkins
Touch judges: Michael Wise, Nick Pelgrave
Video referee: Matt Noyen

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersBroncos
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2022 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: 2022 Rd 14 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by kiwi raider »

just to put the mockers on us i reckon we are good value at $2.70 head to head with the amount of Brisbane players backing up after a pretty tough Origin match, plus we are coming in with our best form in quite some time especially up front and Reynolds is still under an injury cloud.

Broncos by 20
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

In response to GE write up:
I'd say that the Raiders have actually emerged from the other side of their "no frills footy" period where they almost played scared. We've been able to use the ball really well at stages in recent weeks, posting some nice tries- it's been more often support play and offloads than structured pieces but there have been some frills added back on in that regard, less stretches of endless predictable one out.

Looking forward to this game. Bronco's have improved quite a lot under Kevvie and with Reynolds + sorting the wheat from the chaff in their back 5.

We'll need Fog to be nice and steady, allowing Jack to do Jack + continuation of our all round packs good form of the back of Tarps and Papa.

We got "near" the Eels and then blinked and put the football movement and support play away when under pressure. This will be a good test of whether we've improved since then or have hit our ceiling for the time being.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

kiwi raider wrote:just to put the mockers on us i reckon we are good value at $2.70 head to head with the amount of Brisbane players backing up after a pretty tough Origin match, plus we are coming in with our best form in quite some time especially up front and Reynolds is still under an injury cloud.

Broncos by 20
Raiders by 40.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game Day!! Go the Raiders!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

This is shaping up to be an interesting game with a few out for the Broncos but Reynolds back. He’s a big in for them and one of the best buys so far this year.

We will miss rapana, he’s got a screw or two loose for sure but he also has the ability to create something out of nothing and we can’t expect that from Schiller.

Also only the second time Wighton and Fogarty have played together.

Our middle will be solid and make some metres but we will need our defence to aim up like they did last week to be any chance of the win. Timing our line speed and controlling the ruck will be critical in not giving them leg ups out of their end.

It’s a tough game but definitely winnable. I’ve been enjoying g the way we have played over the last month so hopefully we can keep on building on that regardless of the result.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:In response to GE write up:
I'd say that the Raiders have actually emerged from the other side of their "no frills footy" period where they almost played scared. We've been able to use the ball really well at stages in recent weeks, posting some nice tries- it's been more often support play and offloads than structured pieces but there have been some frills added back on in that regard, less stretches of endless predictable one out.

Looking forward to this game. Bronco's have improved quite a lot under Kevvie and with Reynolds + sorting the wheat from the chaff in their back 5.

We'll need Fog to be nice and steady, allowing Jack to do Jack + continuation of our all round packs good form of the back of Tarps and Papa.

We got "near" the Eels and then blinked and put the football movement and support play away when under pressure. This will be a good test of whether we've improved since then or have hit our ceiling for the time being.
It was only a few weeks back that we lost to the Eels and we looked very ordinary in attack. All 3 tries were pretty lucky - 2 errors from kicks and Whitehead with a dummy half sneak.

I think its more that we're seeing a little bit of relaxation on the V'landysball interpretation which means we can go back to the grind. Same thing happened at the backend of last season - where we strung a few wins together.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

If we win this it would be rather handy!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote:If we win this it would be rather handy!
I'd prefer the Raiders get the W.

The Broncos should be nervous. They've barely been tested this season. The only advantage you really have is Reynold's kicking game.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 11, 2022, 1:24 pm
Billy Walker wrote:If we win this it would be rather handy!
I'd prefer the Raiders get the W.

The Broncos should be nervous. They've barely been tested this season. The only advantage you really have is Reynold's kicking game.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
:lol:
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

CMon Raiders!
Expose these one trick ponies!
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: June 11, 2022, 11:33 am If we win this it would be rather handy!
Wow Billy saying something positive :roflmao
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Thomas Raider wrote: June 11, 2022, 4:17 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 11, 2022, 11:33 am If we win this it would be rather handy!
Wow Billy saying something positive :roflmao
I’m positive about everything I say Thomas! If I say someone shouldn’t be in the side I’m positive that’s the right decision :lol:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Pumped by 30

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I wouldn’t be shocked if we won by 20 or lost by 20 we are that sort of team.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: June 11, 2022, 6:02 pm I wouldn’t be shocked if we won by 20 or lost by 20 we are that sort of team.
More like up by 20 then lose by 20.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: June 11, 2022, 6:02 pm I wouldn’t be shocked if we won by 20 or lost by 20 we are that sort of team.
We’re more of a team that’ll be up 20-6 at half time and lose 22-20.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Brisbane Broncos at Lang Park.

Here are the final teams. We'll have live scores from 7:35pm right here in this thread. Please join in with your own commentary.

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. James Schiller
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
17. Corey Horsburgh
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

8. Josh Papalii
14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Corey Harawira-Naera

19. Matt Frawley

Brisbane Broncos

1. Te Maire Martin
2. Corey Oates
4. Herbie Farnworth
21. Brenko Lee
20. Jordan Pereira
6. Ezra Mam
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Corey Jensen
9. Billy Walters
10. Payne Haas
11. Teui Robati
12. Jordan Riki
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Kobe Hetherington
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Keenan Palasia

18. Delouise Hoeter
The Greenhouse score update service
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Papa must of been a bit tired from his 18 minutes on Wednesday night. Hopefully he has a big impact from the bench tonight!
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

jimmy82 wrote:Papa must of been a bit tired from his 18 minutes on Wednesday night. Hopefully he has a big impact from the bench tonight!
Tbh I don’t mind splitting up Papa and Tapine, hopefully we don’t have the same drop in go forward at first change. Horse played well last week starting.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The HorsPower prediction of him to start has come to pass. Bronco's without their regular right center and right winger. Former Raiders junior Brenko Lee into the right center position for the Broncos. With Kris at left center for us it means two power players will be opposing each other. That should be a very good clash. Jack will be looking to exploit any lack of cohesion in the Bronco's right side defensive play. C'mon Raiders - as always, 2 competition points up for grabs.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Looking at both sides here it looks like it's going to be one for the ages, absolute snoozefest.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

We aren’t fans of side burns that’s for sure
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Canberra Raiders first to hit the field, now the Broncos. Crowd looks to be a bit average.

Broncos kick off, we are underway.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Good first set in attack, average in defence.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

The Greenhouse wrote: June 11, 2022, 7:36 pm Canberra Raiders first to hit the field, now the Broncos. Crowd looks to be a bit average.

Broncos kick off, we are underway.
It went below 10 degrees this week, most people up here are still thawing out as that's basically the apocalypse.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Good work there by Schiller to shut that down
They're comfortably winning the territory battle
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Good to see Cotric having a dig this week. Some good early carries.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

6th min Both teams exchanging sets so far. If anything, the Broncos are winning the territory and kicking. The Broncos made a lot of metres that set, and the Raiders start the set on their own goal line.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

7th min ERROR BRONCOS Adam Reynolds drops it. Hudson Young stips it one on one, and the Broncos' captain's challenge is successful. Play on.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Should have been a penalty for obstruction instead they get a dodgy six again...
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

And Whitehead....