Joe Tapine re-signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2027

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

deanoman
Brett Mullins

Re: Seven rival clubs circle Raiders prop Joseph Tapine

Post by deanoman »

I actually think only 7 clubs chasing Tapine is an insult to him.

Should be 17.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: July 3, 2022, 8:12 am
Botman wrote: July 2, 2022, 9:42 pm It's actually not that hard to square away the idea that we can struggle now despite building arguably the greatest single team of all time in the mid 90's

You just have to have a few brain cells and look at the competition structure then and now and you'll see the fundamental differences between where the league was in the late 80's- early 90's when we got all that talent, and where it is now.
So you passionately devote a big chunk of your life supporting an outcome that you don’t believe possible? I think either:

A. Deep down you don’t actually believe your defeatist excuses and know that it actually is possible if the club was smarter. Or

B. You’re really sad dude.
I don’t think either is true. In fact, Botman strikes me as someone who actually isn’t that emotionally invested in the Raiders success, and has other priorities in life to be emotionally invested in. Like most of us, it’s likely the team he picked to follow as a kid and despite the lack of success in the past 28 years, it’s just our team, win or lose.

I genuinely believe in the defeatist excuses, and honestly believe the Raiders will never win another premiership (unless through some sheer money-ball luck that nearly got us there in 2019).

It’s sad, but I just can’t support a different team. If that makes me (or anyone who agrees) a “really sad dude” so be it. It is what it is.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Why would anyone stay here ****, the bloke probably wants a Premiership ring.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Dead set piss take of a club.

This place is woke.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Question wrote: July 3, 2022, 9:22 am Why would anyone stay here ****, the bloke probably wants a Premiership ring.

He’ll only get that at Penrith or the Storm, and he would have to sacrifice his potential earnings by about half
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We've always developed gun halves from within. Even in recent history we've had the likes of Carney, Campo and Wighton come through the grades, all Origin or Australian rep quality. Nothing to say we can't continue to do that. I can't think of too many successful clubs (other than the Roosters?) who have recruited 3 or 4 players to build a great spine.

If you can develop 2 very good players in those key positions, it's really not that hard to recruit one gun player and have another which can do a decent job.

Maybe Schneider and Trevilyan are good enough to build around. Savage has some potential too.

Anyway, hopefully Tapine stays. If he does I expect he'll be on marquee dollars.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: Rivals circle Joseph Tapine

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: July 1, 2022, 10:19 pm
Wiki Special wrote: July 1, 2022, 9:47 pm What sort of deal do we expect will see Tapine extend?

Expect? For us... who'd **** know, we like to overpay our own, so whilst i wouldnt like it, with the cap rising to 11m and beyond in the coming years, 4-5 years at 1m a season wouldnt really shock me

What i'd be happy to do... 4 years for a rough average of 850-900k deal
So i guess, 4/3.6m deal
I was personally thinking 4yrs/$3.4m. So pretty close to your thoughts.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: July 3, 2022, 9:18 am
Botman wrote: July 2, 2022, 9:42 pm It's actually not that hard to square away the idea that we can struggle now despite building arguably the greatest single team of all time in the mid 90's

You just have to have a few brain cells and look at the competition structure then and now and you'll see the fundamental differences between where the league was in the late 80's- early 90's when we got all that talent, and where it is now.
So you passionately devote a big chunk of your life supporting an outcome that you don’t believe possible? I think either:

A. Deep down you don’t actually believe your defeatist excuses and know that it actually is possible if the club was smarter. Or

I don’t think either is true. In fact, Botman strikes me as someone who actually isn’t that emotionally invested in the Raiders success, and has other priorities in life to be emotionally invested in. Like most of us, it’s likely the team he picked to follow as a kid and despite the lack of success in the past 28 years, it’s just our team, win or lose.

I genuinely believe in the defeatist excuses, and honestly believe the Raiders will never win another premiership (unless through some sheer money-ball luck that nearly got us there in 2019).

It’s sad, but I just can’t support a different team. If that makes me (or anyone who agrees) a “really sad dude” so be it. It is what it is.
I've got our dull troll on block so i only saw his post when you quoted it.
Lets address his post first.
Firstly, i fact never said in that post we could not be successful. I said that it only took a few brain cells (probably where Billy ran into some issues) to see what the competition looked like and how we built that team of the late 80's and early 90's and then looked at competition today to square away the struggles. We exploited a huge market/talent ineffeciency in QLD, NZ and country NSW. The reality is in those days, some of these areas were not heavily scouted. Where as now, every single club in the competition has scouts in those regions competing for talent, and the competition itself has added franchises into 2/3 of those areas that pull directly from the region. You'd be an absolute fool not to recognise the path we took back in 1987 is now more heavily occupied and thus a much MUCH harder path to walk.

But if i were to ignore that, he follows up with a false dichotomy. Saying it's either A or B, and ignoring options C, D, E, F, G, etc.
But that's Billy for you.

As for the rest, you are largely correct, though i am probably more emotionally invested than the picture you paint here. I love the sport, i love this footy team. This particular footy team has had actually a profound impact on my life. As i've posted about before, I met my wife through supporting this club, and the life we've built together is (fortunately or unfortunately, you decide!) inextricably linked to this club as a result, you couldnt tell the story of life (nor would you want to, it'd be a snoozer) with out the club and my fandom of it featuring heavily. And anyone who's seen me watch the team play would conclude im fairly invested emotionally. And there is also my... ample.... posting here.

What is different now in my later years, that wasnt early in my life is i ride the highs and lows of the team but once the game is over, it's over. A bad raiders loss use to ruin my week, i'd be cranky and stewing on it for days :lol:

Now i can move on almost instantly post FT, i can post about it here and discuss with friends but it's not impacting my mood the way it was when i was a late teen/early adult.

And whilst i'd dearly love to see the club one day win another premiership, i dont need it. As a person or as a fan. Im just a fan who'd like to see the club do all they can on and off the field to be successful but i dont need them to win a premiership to validate my fandom or my life. Whether i think the club can or will ever win a premiership again doesnt sustain or drive my fandom of the club, my passion for the club and the club's role/impact on my life does that. Ill continue to be a fan until the day the club or i die. Premierships or not. Because, well, that's what being a sports fan is. It's the rollarcoaster, the highs may not be as high as others and the lows might be much lower than others, but you keep punching your ticket to take the ride.

Do i think we can win a premiership again?
Sure. Odds are at some point by luck we'll stumble into another generational talent, or have that year like in 2019 where the team just sort of gelled and the best players made big plays at the right times and almost got us there. But to circle back to my original post, the path to that isnt amassing an all time great team by scouting in NZ and QLD where no one else is. That ship has long sailed.

Will we win a premiership again?
I've got 50 good years left i reckon, that's a long time in sport and 1 before i go would be nice :lol:
But i cant see one coming anytime soon.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

can we not quote this dill, it defeats the block function

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: July 3, 2022, 2:14 pm can we not quote this dill, it defeats the block function

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
It'd be nice if people stopped :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: July 3, 2022, 1:54 pm

Firstly, i fact never said in that post we could not be successful. I said that it only took a few brain cells (probably where Billy ran into some issues) to see what the competition looked like and how we built that team of the late 80's and early 90's and then looked at competition today to square away the struggles. We exploited a huge market/talent ineffeciency in QLD, NZ and country NSW. The reality is in those days, some of these areas were not heavily scouted. Where as now, every single club in the competition has scouts in those regions competing for talent, and the competition itself has added franchises into 2/3 of those areas that pull directly from the region. You'd be an absolute fool not to recognise the path we took back in 1987 is now more heavily occupied and thus a much MUCH harder path to walk.

But if i were to ignore that, he follows up with a false dichotomy. Saying it's either A or B, and ignoring options C, D, E, F, G, etc.

As for the rest, you are largely correct, though i am probably more emotionally invested than the picture you paint here. I love the sport, i love this footy team. This particular footy team has had actually a profound impact on my life. As i've posted about before, I met my wife through supporting this club, and the life we've built together is (fortunately or unfortunately, you decide!) inextricably linked to this club as a result, you couldnt tell the story of life (nor would you want to, it'd be a snoozer) with out the club and my fandom of it featuring heavily. And anyone who's seen me watch the team play would conclude im fairly invested emotionally. And there is also my... ample.... posting here.

What is different now in my later years, that wasnt early in my life is i ride the highs and lows of the team but once the game is over, it's over. A bad raiders loss use to ruin my week, i'd be cranky and stewing on it for days :lol:

Now i can move on almost instantly post FT, i can post about it here and discuss with friends but it's not impacting my mood the way it was when i was a late teen/early adult.

And whilst i'd dearly love to see the club one day win another premiership, i dont need it. As a person or as a fan. Im just a fan who'd like to see the club do all they can on and off the field to be successful but i dont need them to win a premiership to validate my fandom or my life. Whether i think the club can or will ever win a premiership again doesnt sustain or drive my fandom of the club, my passion for the club and the club's role/impact on my life does that. Ill continue to be a fan until the day the club or i die. Premierships or not. Because, well, that's what being a sports fan is. It's the rollarcoaster, the highs may not be as high as others and the lows might be much lower than others, but you keep punching your ticket to take the ride.

Sure. Odds are at some point by luck we'll stumble into another generational talent, or have that year like in 2019 where the team just sort of gelled and the best players made big plays at the right times and almost got us there. But to circle back to my original post, the path to that isnt amassing an all time great team by scouting in NZ and QLD where no one else is. That ship has long sailed.

I've got 50 good years left i reckon, that's a long time in sport and 1 before i go would be nice :lol:
That’s far too long to read - summary anyone?
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: July 3, 2022, 3:22 pm

Botman thinks you're an idiot and has blocked you.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: July 3, 2022, 3:25 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 3, 2022, 3:22 pm

Botman thinks you're an idiot and has blocked you.
Geez he took a lot of words to say that. I’m not surprised - he doesn’t like being called out and shown up. Probably best he shrink his echo chamber and kid himself about his relevance.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Wightons kick for touch. Holds a record for out on the full in general play but can’t do it in the final 5 when going for touch. You just have to laugh.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Run Joey Run
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Tapine please sign with Melbourne or a team that rewards your good work!! By winning games and maybe a premiership!! Get out of this club u deserve better
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Wightons kick for touch. Holds a record for out on the full in general play but can’t do it in the final 5 when going for touch. You just have to laugh.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Let Tapine walk, and he can have the choice of playing for a real football team/club that’s contending, or taking the bag from another rabble. We are squandering him.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Whilst all of us would obviously love to have Tarps re-sign you surely wouldn’t be blaming the dude for casting his eye around.

He probably has 5 good years left so this is the big contract for him. If you’re being brutally honest there are a dozen teams more likely to win a premiership than us in the time frame.

He will make bank with whoever he ends up signing for, but the guy will surely have a desire to win a chip.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders prop Tapine coy on new NRL contract

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Joe Tapine coy on new NRL contract

In-form Canberra prop Joe Tapine says he'll let his footy do the talking as clubs circle for the star's signature for the 2024 NRL season.

"I haven't really talked about it to be honest," he said. "I'm just trying to focus on footy. Obviously it's got to wait for November or whatever happens so I haven't really talked too much about that so far."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://www.zerotackle.com/rampaging-ra ... re-120247/

VIDEO: Ryan Sutton: It will be a real fiery game: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/07 ... iery-game/
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

He needs to be resigned. Would be a massive loss. Future Captain.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote:He needs to be resigned. Would be a massive loss. Future Captain.
I would prefer he got re-signed
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

He’s a gun.

But if he wants to run a million miles from this rabble of a football club, it would be totally understandable.

He’s been a one-man band in 2022
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’ve spoken to Taps, he’s staying.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Can’t imagine why he would stay.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

I’d be packing things up if I was him, it’s going to take a miracle for us be competing for the comp anytime soon.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

It show where we are at as a team at the moment when he is our most threatening try scoring option inside attacking 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Half way though the 2022 season and we're seeing articles about where players will be in 2024. Only in the NRL.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dusty wrote: July 14, 2022, 8:36 pm It show where we are at as a team at the moment when he is our most threatening try scoring option inside attacking 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might be confusing Tapine (1 try) with Young (6 tries). Not that I'm suggesting our attack inside 20 is any good.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I can see him joining Melbourne..
they will have cap space and a need for a front row leader..
He is wasted here where we give fat contracts to aged plodders like Whitehead...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

This place sometimes! Sure, he's probably going to join the Roosters, Storm, Broncos or Penrith on a cut price deal, or extend with us for $1.2 million a season.

My question is, why has he finally hit peak form during a contract negotiation season?

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Ilanraiders wrote:Tapine please sign with Melbourne or a team that rewards your good work!! By winning games and maybe a premiership!! Get out of this club u deserve better
Are you saying that for Tapine to win a Premiership he needs to turn his back on the Raiders?

Conversely, he would have won a Premiership with the Raiders if he didn’t turn his back on Verrills.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

BJ wrote: July 15, 2022, 10:49 am
Ilanraiders wrote:Tapine please sign with Melbourne or a team that rewards your good work!! By winning games and maybe a premiership!! Get out of this club u deserve better
Are you saying that for Tapine to win a Premiership he needs to turn his back on the Raiders?

Conversely, he would have won a Premiership with the Raiders if he didn’t turn his back on Verrills.
Harsh but true. But in the lead up Roosters trainer had a big say in that too. I was previously frustrated with his inconsistency and bad temper leading to penalties but he's really got that inconsistency and penalties out of his game. Really enjoyed watching him this season and hope he stays with us in a leadership capacity.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 15, 2022, 10:28 am This place sometimes! Sure, he's probably going to join the Roosters, Storm, Broncos or Penrith on a cut price deal, or extend with us for $1.2 million a season.

My question is, why has he finally hit peak form during a contract negotiation season?

I'm pretty glad he's playing well actually :/
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:
BJ wrote: July 15, 2022, 10:49 am

Harsh but true. But in the lead up Roosters trainer had a big say in that too. I was previously frustrated with his inconsistency and bad temper leading to penalties but he's really got that inconsistency and penalties out of his game. Really enjoyed watching him this season and hope he stays with us in a leadership capacity.
Yes I was only having a dig (more so at some Raiders fans on this site actively wanting him to leave the club because he’s apparently too good for us).

But agree that Tapine has improved his brain snaps and silliness markedly.