Joe Tapine re-signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2027

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Rivals circle Joseph Tapine

Post by Azza »

He deserves a pay bump - he's usurped Papa as our forward leader and is probably our best player now.

He also deserves to play in a team regularly making finals...
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

With Hodgo on a fairly substantial deal, one would hope we could use that money to top up Taps.

Oh how nice it would be if we could use some of that Croker and Whitehead money too...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: July 1, 2022, 10:36 am He deserves a pay bump - he's usurped Papa as our forward leader and is probably our best player now.

He also deserves to play in a team regularly making finals...
Yeah, if I'm Tapine I run for the hills when this current contract is up... he deserves so much better.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Love it when players finally reach their potential come contract negotiation time.

Love it.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: July 1, 2022, 10:24 am My feeling is both club and player are keen to extend here and understand his standing in the game. In situations like that the deal usually gets done without much fuss. The price is going to be steep though
Yea it is what it is, we'll have to pay big $ as he's arguably the best forward in the game at the moment. lets just hope he continues with 2022 form, I know people got up stuart about not giving him enough minutes last year but he wasn't performing anywhere close to the effort and intensity we've seen from him this year.
Stuart probably deserves some credit for drawing a line in the sand and getting the best out of Tapine, he was always capable of being one of the best forwards in the game but i honestly believe most of his improvement is down to effort/motivation.

I reckon we are seeing a similar thing with CHN this year, he's not put in enough effort for mine and coupled with some terrible reads on defense he needs to get better, yes some other players have been very average also but i'm not so sure those guys poor performances are down to effort, its more age etc with the likes of Whitehead
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The question is, how much are we willing to pay? At the moment his output is better than Fifita or Haas, and he could probably get 1 mill elsewhere. Would he demand that from us, or could we get him down to 800-900k? Anything less is an absolute steal.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: July 1, 2022, 11:22 am The question is, how much are we willing to pay? At the moment his output is better than Fifita or Haas, and he could probably get 1 mill elsewhere. Would he demand that from us, or could we get him down to 800-900k? Anything less is an absolute steal.
For 2022 Tarps absolutely - a 9/10 elite NRL footballer. Thing is it hasn’t always been that way. In the past he’s been inconsistent and injury and suspension prone. If there truly are 7 clubs chasing someone will throw the bank at him but at 28 years of age the signing isn’t without risk. I think $800k is around the mark for a multi year deal. On current form he could get more for a 1 year deal I’d think. Will be interesting to see but I think we are a good chance to keep him. If he didn’t hit this run of form I suspect we would have let him walk at contract end but he has really given himself the upper hand in negotiations now!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: July 1, 2022, 11:11 am
Botman wrote: July 1, 2022, 10:24 am My feeling is both club and player are keen to extend here and understand his standing in the game. In situations like that the deal usually gets done without much fuss. The price is going to be steep though
Yea it is what it is, we'll have to pay big $ as he's arguably the best forward in the game at the moment. lets just hope he continues with 2022 form, I know people got up stuart about not giving him enough minutes last year but he wasn't performing anywhere close to the effort and intensity we've seen from him this year.
Stuart probably deserves some credit for drawing a line in the sand and getting the best out of Tapine, he was always capable of being one of the best forwards in the game but i honestly believe most of his improvement is down to effort/motivation.
Fair call. I think Stuart probably does deserve credit for that
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:Love it when players finally reach their potential come contract negotiation time.

Love it.

Haha. Happens all the time. Throw in a little noise about wanting the captaincy to further increase your value.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

I hate to think what we'd look like without Joe this season, one of the few genuine shining lights.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Worse, no doubt. But it’s also a good indication that a ‘best in class’ prop doesn’t make nearly the difference to a sides outcomes as a competent spine, so let’s not get in a battle with teams who are throwing $1mill at props.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's already on 750k.

I'd say beyond that figure, you just don't get much value from props on more $$$ than that.

We have Papa on about the same from when he was best in the game and scoring matchwinning tries in huge games over and above his prop duties.

He needs to be a priority re-signing but it shouldn't go above 750/850k (tie in some bonuses if cap increases). We still need someone to play in behind him if he wants to win anything.

It's possible he'll get a million dollar offer but I don't think we need 1.8mill tied up in 2 props until 2026.

I'd pay a mill a season for DCE, Cleary, Teddy and the like... maybe not even Trbo as he's awesome but never plays more than 50-75% of a season. Need to regularly be the difference between winning and losing.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Exactly. Anything north of $800k should be reserved for players who win games, spine players. Taps is the best prop in the game by a fair margin right now, and we are hoping to scrape into the 8 at best.

As a comparison, both Townsend and Reynolds are on 800k deals, and have been instrumental in both teams success this year.
badsall1
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: campo

Post by badsall1 »

He hardly misses matches through injury or suspension.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That's fair enough but equally we don't seem to be having great luck at signing any spine players of note.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

And that luck in signing halves is not likely to improve with 17% of your salary cap invested in 2 props.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yep - but I don't expect it to improve anyway. I'm also going to go out on a limb though and say I don't expect Papa to be here much longer.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: July 1, 2022, 3:30 pm Worse, no doubt. But it’s also a good indication that a ‘best in class’ prop doesn’t make nearly the difference to a sides outcomes as a competent spine, so let’s not get in a battle with teams who are throwing $1mill at props.
That is a very good point!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: July 1, 2022, 5:55 pm Yep - but I don't expect it to improve anyway. I'm also going to go out on a limb though and say I don't expect Papa to be here much longer.
I've heard people say that for several years now. He's still here.

He's signed until end 2025. Managers option for 2026.

If he was going to the Dolphins, he'd let us know.

We haven't chased any spine players worth $750k since Teddy. We noped out of Reynolds and co at the price and went for Fog at $400k or whatever.

We have Jack and Hodgo in the spine on north of $700k so theoretically we can go after a halfback when Hodgo moves on.

If we don't go splashing a million on props that is.

It's a hard thing to manage. Tarps is awesome. I hope he stays. But million dollar forwards do not deliver.

Lolo was more destructive than anything even Tarps has done. A year later it was clearly a dud deal for NQ.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: July 1, 2022, 4:22 pm He's already on 750k.

I'd say beyond that figure, you just don't get much value from props on more $$$ than that.

We have Papa on about the same from when he was best in the game and scoring matchwinning tries in huge games over and above his prop duties.

He needs to be a priority re-signing but it shouldn't go above 750/850k (tie in some bonuses if cap increases). We still need someone to play in behind him if he wants to win anything.

It's possible he'll get a million dollar offer but I don't think we need 1.8mill tied up in 2 props until 2026.

I'd pay a mill a season for DCE, Cleary, Teddy and the like... maybe not even Trbo as he's awesome but never plays more than 50-75% of a season. Need to regularly be the difference between winning and losing.
This is the reality of it. While props are important they are not match winners and that is the category of player you need to be investing the $1m salaries into. Broncos recent seasons are good examples. Payne Haas was putting up insane numbers yet they were mired at the bottom of the ladder. Recruit a guy like Reynolds in a key position and now they are finals contenders again.

Taps is already near the top of the pay scale for his position. How much more will people be prepared to pay him? Also have to query if his value is based on form of half the current season more so than his preceding 7 seasons in the NRL.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The club needs to send Mrs Taps flowers, and plenty of them, every week.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

I hope he stays. He definitely deserves top dollar. So if another club goes crazy, good for Joey.

I tend to agree with you mob, we can’t pay a prop 1 million a year. That has never worked out for any club that has.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The only player who can sway Tapine to stay is Papa I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Why are we needing to sway him into staying?
Did i miss something?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He'll stay.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Botman wrote: July 1, 2022, 8:19 pm Why are we needing to sway him into staying?
Did i miss something?
Maybe he wants to win a premiership.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

President Clinton wrote: July 1, 2022, 8:42 pm
Botman wrote: July 1, 2022, 8:19 pm Why are we needing to sway him into staying?
Did i miss something?
Which premiership contender is going to pay him top dollar? It's the club's playing catchup that fork out big dollars for props.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

President Clinton wrote: July 1, 2022, 8:42 pm
Did i miss something?
Im sure he does. But the Panthers arent letting players like Kikau to walk to pay him. The storm are notrious for not over paying forwards, particularly middle forwards
The roosters are going through a tough time right now with their forward pack but i dont think they're in the business of paying huge money for middle forwards. Those are the reliable premiership contending teams. Anything beyond them and i think it's going to take very serious coin difference to get him to move and if that's what happens, as sad as it is, so be it. But we're not a club that can hope to be successful if we're paying a middle forward, even one as good as him, 1m+

Put bluntly, sure fire premiership contenders arent paying what it would take to get Tapine away from Canberra. And i dont believe either he or the club wish to end their relationship. So... long story short, and i've been wrong before and certainly will be again, but the rivals may circle but i dont believe he's going anywhere.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Agree with Botman and I’ll add that I think we’ll do more years than prudent in making it happen.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

What sort of deal do we expect will see Tapine extend?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Knowing the Raiders, 10 years with a 2 year option

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: July 1, 2022, 9:47 pm What sort of deal do we expect will see Tapine extend?

Expect? For us... who'd **** know, we like to overpay our own, so whilst i wouldnt like it, with the cap rising to 11m and beyond in the coming years, 4-5 years at 1m a season wouldnt really shock me

What i'd be happy to do... 4 years for a rough average of 850-900k deal
So i guess, 4/3.6m deal
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Love it when players finally reach their potential come contract negotiation time.

Love it.

Haha. Happens all the time. Throw in a little noise about wanting the captaincy to further increase your value.
Yeah, it's how the club ultimately ends up with salary cap issues.

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: July 1, 2022, 6:15 pm
Azza wrote: July 1, 2022, 5:55 pm Yep - but I don't expect it to improve anyway. I'm also going to go out on a limb though and say I don't expect Papa to be here much longer.

We haven't chased any spine players worth $750k since Teddy. We noped out of Reynolds and co at the price and went for Fog at $400k or whatever.

We have Jack and Hodgo in the spine on north of $700k so theoretically we can go after a halfback when Hodgo moves on.

It's a hard thing to manage. Tarps is awesome. I hope he stays. But million dollar forwards do not deliver.

Lolo was more destructive than anything even Tarps has done. A year later it was clearly a dud deal for NQ.
Really wish we'd pushed for Reynolds. Poor cap management pretty much excluded us from that race even if we'd wanted to. Whitehead and Croker our $million+ 2headed monster just keeps paying out.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 1, 2022, 11:44 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 1, 2022, 6:15 pm

Really wish we'd pushed for Reynolds. Poor cap management pretty much excluded us from that race even if we'd wanted to. Whitehead and Croker our $million+ 2headed monster just keeps paying out.
Whitehead and Croker have screwed us for the foreseeable future