Joe Tapine re-signs with Canberra Raiders to end 2027

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders prop Tapine coy on new NRL contract

Post by mick63 »

-PJ- wrote: July 14, 2022, 6:06 pm I’ve spoken to Taps, he’s staying.
I’ve spoken to his wife.
He’s gawne
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 15, 2022, 10:28 am This place sometimes! Sure, he's probably going to join the Roosters, Storm, Broncos or Penrith on a cut price deal, or extend with us for $1.2 million a season.

My question is, why has he finally hit peak form during a contract negotiation season?

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
I'm pretty glad he's playing well actually :/
Not complaining about his form, just questioning why a notoriously poor trainer is finally hitting his potential, just prior to negotiating a new deal.

Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 15, 2022, 3:18 pm
BadnMean wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 15, 2022, 10:28 am This place sometimes! Sure, he's probably going to join the Roosters, Storm, Broncos or Penrith on a cut price deal, or extend with us for $1.2 million a season.

My question is, why has he finally hit peak form during a contract negotiation season?

Not complaining about his form, just questioning why a notoriously poor trainer is finally hitting his potential, just prior to negotiating a new deal.

He's been good to very good for years now. This is just a continuation of his form. Plus he used to get his momentum cut off by injuries or just in general being a bit of a dummy. He's at the age where he will physically peak really.

I don't know what an absurdly good middle forward is worth currently. He's won something like 70% of the motm awards on this website and is putting in one of the more dominant years relative to his team mates and we are still crappy.

But I also don't think he's just playing for a contract either. This is basically the tapine we've seen flashes of matured and at his physical peak
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pete Cash wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

He's been good to very good for years now. This is just a continuation of his form. Plus he used to get his momentum cut off by injuries or just in general being a bit of a dummy. He's at the age where he will physically peak really.

I don't know what an absurdly good middle forward is worth currently. He's won something like 70% of the motm awards on this website and is putting in one of the more dominant years relative to his team mates and we are still crappy.

But I also don't think he's just playing for a contract either. This is basically the tapine we've seen flashes of matured and at his physical peak
Yep, he's clearly been our best and most consistent player this season.

He's also 28, so as you suggest, he's at his physical peak for a forward.

His poor training ethic in previous seasons has also been widely reported. I believe his attitude changed a bit this season and the results are there to see. That's why I'm still a bit cynical about the timing of his form vs contract.

Good luck to him. I don't think anyone is complaining about his form. I'm not.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 16, 2022, 11:09 am
Pete Cash wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

Yep, he's clearly been our best and most consistent player this season.

He's also 28, so as you suggest, he's at his physical peak for a forward.

His poor training ethic in previous seasons has also been widely reported. I believe his attitude changed a bit this season and the results are there to see. That's why I'm still a bit cynical about the timing of his form vs contract.

Good luck to him. I don't think anyone is complaining about his form. I'm not.

I hear what your saying Seiff and agree. He hasn’t had the injury issues he has had in previous seasons which is likely an outcome of his improved training. His discipline has also been a lot better. Great to see but yes I can appreciate why some my question the timing.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I guess the biggest question here is around timing - Taps is in career best form, and arguably one of the best ever season by a prop in green.

His current contract takes him until 29, any extension would take him past that.

Is taps worth 8-900k now? Yep. Will he be likely to be declining from the age of 29-32? Yep. I think in this current era early 30s forwards are just loosing a lot of their edge with a drop in pace. We are seeing it with papa right now.

So really the question I guess is will he be worth 8-900k at 32 because of his presence in the squad, who else he can attract to play with him, will he be captain? When you add the intangibles in. - I say sign the man.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yes, we don't need another bloated 5 year deal.

Tough situation for the club.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah, can’t say I’m liking where this is heading. Going to be a lot of pressure to keep Tapine as one of the shining lights in a crap season. But signing a prop on big money on a deal with the length we’re likely to need to keep him… just smells like a risk of a new Croker/Whitehead deal incoming.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 17, 2022, 8:30 am Yes, we don't need another bloated 5 year deal.

I would be treading very carefully here. Brilliant 2022 - far and away our best and up there with the best in the game. Over his career an average to good footballer. It’s a big gamble as to whether he stays on 2022 form or slides. I wouldn’t be breaking the bank for him.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: July 17, 2022, 11:19 am
Seiffert82 wrote: July 17, 2022, 8:30 am Yes, we don't need another bloated 5 year deal.

I would be treading very carefully here. Brilliant 2022 - far and away our best and up there with the best in the game. Over his career an average to good footballer. It’s a big gamble as to whether he stays on 2022 form or slides. I wouldn’t be breaking the bank for him.
I tend to agree with you, Billy. While I would love him to stay and he's been our best player, it's only been this year and even when he's been this good, we are still running 11th. We have exercised good judgment about props in the past though - we didn't match Paulo's and Shannon Boyd's offers from Parra and GC respectively and that turned out OK.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 17, 2022, 11:27 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 17, 2022, 11:19 am

I tend to agree with you, Billy. While I would love him to stay and he's been our best player, it's only been this year and even when he's been this good, we are still running 11th. We have exercised good judgment about props in the past though - we didn't match Paulo's and Shannon Boyd's offers from Parra and GC respectively and that turned out OK.
Yep young big lads willing to run hard with no respect for their body or consideration of what old age might look like are not hard to find. Skilful ball players with the ability to control a game, kick well and show speed when needed - pay what you have to pay to get them!
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

The idea that tapine was an average footballer is so laughable and shows how skewed fans are from what an average nrl player looks like. Literally lolling at that m8
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Pete Cash wrote:The idea that tapine was an average footballer is so laughable and shows how skewed fans are from what an average nrl player looks like. Literally lolling at that m8
Tapine was an average NRL player, just like Jennifer Hawkins looked like your average Knights supporter.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

BJ wrote: July 17, 2022, 3:55 pm
Pete Cash wrote:The idea that tapine was an average footballer is so laughable and shows how skewed fans are from what an average nrl player looks like. Literally lolling at that m8
Tapine was an average NRL player, just like Jennifer Hawkins looked like your average Knights supporter.
Your comment just reminded me of the movie Dumb and Dumber featuring Jim Carrey
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Tapine hit his stride from 2020 onwards, prior to that he was a garden variety NRL forward, solid without being spectacular. That 2020 season he virtually became a fringe world class player overnight. 2021 was a regression but he is back to his best this season.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 17, 2022, 7:40 pm
Is that the one with Jeff Bridges in it?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

rayden83 wrote: July 18, 2022, 1:28 pm
Yeah - good movie, and Lauren Holly made it better
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Anyone heard a whisper about the warriors??
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Old School Green wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:42 pm Anyone heard a whisper about the warriors??
I’m thinking he and his missus want warm and coastal. Instagram is a dead giveaway
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Tick tock tick tock.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

sprintman wrote: July 19, 2022, 9:14 pm
Old School Green wrote: July 19, 2022, 8:42 pm Anyone heard a whisper about the warriors??
I’m thinking he and his missus want warm and coastal. Instagram is a dead giveaway
Sunshine Coast Falcons?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

T_R wrote: July 19, 2022, 9:30 pm
sprintman wrote: July 19, 2022, 9:14 pm
Sunshine Coast Falcons?
Dolphins, Broncs maybe Manly. Probably end up at the Rorters…
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Honestly it would be typical Raiders to re-sign plodders like Croker, Whitehead and Hodgson on poison pill contracts but let Prime Tapine walk away to another club.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

BJ wrote: July 15, 2022, 10:49 am
Ilanraiders wrote:Tapine please sign with Melbourne or a team that rewards your good work!! By winning games and maybe a premiership!! Get out of this club u deserve better
Are you saying that for Tapine to win a Premiership he needs to turn his back on the Raiders?

Conversely, he would have won a Premiership with the Raiders if he didn’t turn his back on Verrills.
Let’s just say he doesn’t turn his back on the club right now!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: July 20, 2022, 8:52 am Honestly it would be typical Raiders to re-sign plodders like Croker, Whitehead and Hodgson on poison pill contracts but let Prime Tapine walk away to another club.
The club won’t “let” Prime Tapine walk away. They will make a very healthy offer.

The problem is that Prime Tapine will almost certainly have other competitive offers from clubs who are in all likelihood a greater chance of delivering him the premiership success he deserves.

So it may very well be out of the clubs hands.

Even if he does walk, at least we managed to lock up our prized assets such as Whitehead, Croker and Ricky as a consolation.
Up The Milk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Haha. Ahh, social media. So good.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Roosters just said they signed Lodge because they needed a big man... surely they will also be after the form big man of the comp, Joey Tapine

Politis usually gets who he wants
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Dumb and Dumber is an all time classic and you're querying who was in it?

It was Jeff Daniels btw.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

hrundi89 wrote:
Dumb and Dumber is an all time classic and you're querying who was in it?

It was Jeff Daniels btw.
...yeah, he must work out.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m pretty sure Dumb and Dumber was the Bio pic starring the two NRL Commissioners David Smith and Todd Greenberg.

The Killer lines from the movie included “I’m a huge fan of Benji Thurston” and “there’s no issue with the salary cap at the Bulldogs”.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 20, 2022, 4:24 pm
GreenMachine wrote: July 20, 2022, 8:52 am Honestly it would be typical Raiders to re-sign plodders like Croker, Whitehead and Hodgson on poison pill contracts but let Prime Tapine walk away to another club.
The club won’t “let” Prime Tapine walk away. They will make a very healthy offer.

The problem is that Prime Tapine will almost certainly have other competitive offers from clubs who are in all likelihood a greater chance of delivering him the premiership success he deserves.

So it may very well be out of the clubs hands.

Even if he does walk, at least we managed to lock up our prized assets such as Whitehead, Croker and Ricky as a consolation.
I'd overpay to keep him...
You'd let Papalli leave before Tapine IMO.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders, Joe Tapine continuing contract negotiations

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is hopeful Joe Tapine will remain in the capital.

"Don's been talking to Joe's manager Jimmy Banaghan, and they've got a good relationship," Ricky Stuart said. "The thing for me is he's very happy. He's playing good football and Joe knows what he wants and I'll leave that with Donny and Jimmy. They'll sort that out.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Canberra Raiders set to offer Joseph Tapine multi-million dollar, four year deal

The Canberra Raiders are set to hand forward Joseph Tapine a monster contract in a bid to lock up the Kiwi international before November 1 rolls around.

The Raiders will offer the former Knight a whopping $3 million, four-year deal, which would tie the New Zealander to the nations capital through to the end of the 2027 season.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1313e551e2

https://www.zerotackle.com/canberra-set ... al-121416/

Tapine getting close to a new four year deal worth over $3 million with the Raiders per David Riccio on Triple M:

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/david- ... ure-204152

'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I’ll allow it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

This has to get done.

But.. I reserve the right in 2027 at the final year of the contract to bitch about paying a 33 year old prop $800k.