Re: Joseph Tapine

Post by Canberra Milk »

He's a cheat code this year. He almost never hits the ground, it's actually odd
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

In all seriousness, I need to add that his footwork is just incredible. Like Vossy said many times today, he rarely gets put on the ground, he is deceptively strong.

I also didn't realise he's leading the league in run metres.

Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Make him captain
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Wasn't he leaving the club like a month ago? Or was that last year? :P

Been in beast form recently. Keep it up Taps!
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

So good. Sooooooooooo good
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Has been phenomenal this year and today when we really needed him to stand up he delivered once again
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Joseph Tapine

Post by gangrenous »

I have not been a big fan of Tapine over the years. But there’s no arguing he’s playing ridiculously well. Almost impossible to get to ground, rarely missing a tackle in defence, and his discipline (which is what has bothered me most in the past) has been superb.
Last edited by gangrenous on June 5, 2022, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep - I’ve always rated him, but also always thought there was improvement in his game. What he has produced this year has been nothing but quality
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He’s putting down one hell of a season
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Ever since the MotM performance in the all stars game he’s grown another leg. You probably couldn’t ask for a better starting front row pair. He and Papa are really good offensively, defensively, and make minimal errors.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Surprised to see he only has 4 Dally M points to his name so far this season

Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Pappa

Post by Raider_Boy »

Wot an absolute stud he is. Let’s hope he continues ❤️❤️❤️
Member #6381
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Joseph Tapine

Post by Brew »

I said on Facebook he doesn’t get praised enough, the guy is consistent and an absolute beast.

Should be Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

One of the few times that we can be green eyed and say he’s the best prop in the game at the moment. I’d take him over Haas every day if the week.

He’s like a 2019 Papalii, and dare I say, even better.

Extend the mo fo!
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

My one criticism of Taps, and it’s not really even a criticism, more just “wanting a little more” in the attacking stats, is the occasional line break or try that Papa pulls off every now and then. Haven’t really seen much of it from him this year.

He’s making great metres, good post-contact metres, defending well, minimal errors. I’d just like to see him break the line and score a little more often. But I’m probably just being unreasonable. He’s playing very well.
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Finchy wrote: June 5, 2022, 7:40 pm My one criticism of Taps, and it’s not really even a criticism, more just “wanting a little more” in the attacking stats, is the occasional line break or try that Papa pulls off every now and then. Haven’t really seen much of it from him this year.

He’s making great metres, good post-contact metres, defending well, minimal errors. I’d just like to see him break the line and score a little more often. But I’m probably just being unreasonable. He’s playing very well.
Merging a 2019 Papalii with a 2022 Tapine … 🤯

Fair point though. Yes we’re nitpicking, but the form he’s in, he’s a shoe in for some papa type tries up the middle
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think middle forward tries are in some ways a bit of luck.... Papalii works hard for his and earns them
But Adam Elliott walks into one today, without doing anything really, Tapine could have very easily taken that hit up, there was a moment in this game where the ball hit a lead runner and it goes to the second man it's Tapine 1 on 1 with a guy who i promise you didnt have a prayer of stopping him haha
I dont think Tapine isnt having much luck in terms of those situations. But also Papalii is actually just built so well for those crash ball tries. He's a **** bowling ball. Big, tough and hard as **** but he's a as wide as he is tall. Tarps is much leaner, more mobile, better footwork... makes him super effective in most spots but not as effective in the crash ball game
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Really well said and put, this is why I don’t get paid the big bucks (in league anyway 😜)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Remember that story about a year or so ago when Tarps revealed he used to always dodge gym sessions or waste his time in there but had decided he needed to get serious about it now as a senior player..? And we all kind of went, "wow he's strong enough already without it, just imagine..."

I wonder if he's just that bit fitter and stronger now that's making the difference and allowing him to back it up physically week after week or if it was just as much a mindset thing?
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Botman wrote: June 5, 2022, 7:50 pm I think middle forward tries are in some ways a bit of luck.... Papalii works hard for his and earns them
But Adam Elliott walks into one today, without doing anything really, Tapine could have very easily taken that hit up, there was a moment in this game where the ball hit a lead runner and it goes to the second man it's Tapine 1 on 1 with a guy who i promise you didnt have a prayer of stopping him haha
I dont think Tapine isnt having much luck in terms of those situations. But also Papalii is actually just built so well for those crash ball tries. He's a **** bowling ball. Big, tough and hard as **** but he's a as wide as he is tall. Tarps is much leaner, more mobile, better footwork... makes him super effective in most spots but not as effective in the crash ball game
Some tries like the one Elliot got don't happen with-out Tapine on the field. Tapine needed at least two, usually three people to stop him all match, that pulls a lot of defenders in around him which leaves more holes for others.
Bloody_Burnham
Terry Campese

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

We are all witnessing the prime Joey Tapine that we all thought he could become. Injuries and ill-discipline were the only things holding him back. To see him achieve his potential is a real joy.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

We all knew his ceiling was really high. It’s bloody cool to see him own it this year!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Yeah that’s one thing I didn’t really notice until it was mentioned, but is actually really impressive is the discipline. He’d always get easily baited and participate in the niggle and push and shove, get heavily penalised for stupid stuff (a bit like Hors and Huddo now). He seems to have just matured and cut the crap, and lets his game do the talking now. Obviously looking after himself off the field physically too, far less injury prone as mentioned
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

should he captain
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I haven't seen every game this year - we went through a phase of just about every Raiders game being screened here - but today was the first time I noticed him drag the pack with him.

Papa at his best raised the contribution of the whole pack and I hadn't seen that from Tapine.

However, Horse, Young, Sutton and even Mooney seemed to lift of Tapine's back.

Once that happens consistently, he'll be the best in the game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MrPosh wrote: June 6, 2022, 1:33 am I haven't seen every game this year - we went through a phase of just about every Raiders game being screened here - but today was the first time I noticed him drag the pack with him.

Papa at his best raised the contribution of the whole pack and I hadn't seen that from Tapine.

Mr Posh… https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1851920
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: June 6, 2022, 1:52 am
MrPosh wrote: June 6, 2022, 1:33 am I haven't seen every game this year - we went through a phase of just about every Raiders game being screened here - but today was the first time I noticed him drag the pack with him.

Does that mean you're agreeing that he's not bringing the rest of the pack along with him, yet?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: June 5, 2022, 6:36 pm Surprised to see he only has 4 Dally M points to his name so far this season
That would be due to the Dally M voting process being horrendously flawed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

He’s absolutely flying at the moment and not just attack. I remember a time not too long ago that he would be caught out arm grabbing and missing tackles.

We are hardly seeing any of that.

Even after already getting through a mountain of work, and with Paps missing, he still aimed up in defence and drilled one of the roosters forwards in the attacking zone. Dominant tackle to cap off a dominant performance.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

greeneyed wrote: June 6, 2022, 1:52 am

Woah, featured in our top 3 in every game this season except for one. Huge!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Would be the first forward picked for the Kangaroo's, Emu's, Kiwi's, Lions, Kumuls, Tomahawks, Greenbay Packers, All Blacks, Black Caps, QLD or NSW, surely there is some way he can qualify for NSW?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

He is absolutely magnificent this year. I really noticed it yesterday watching the broadcast when Vossy pointed out he almost never gets put on the ground anymore, let alone put on his back. You're practically guaranteed post-contact metres from him every time, often with three or four hanging off him. The Kiwis must be absolutely salivating over getting to pick him.

I was absolutely jumping out of my seat in excitement yesterday, watching him so magnificent, watching Horse and Hudson hyping each other up. If our forwards are hunting as a pack again, well...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Canberra Milk wrote:He's a cheat code this year. He almost never hits the ground, it's actually odd
Has there ever been another player that remains on their feet after being tackled as often as Tapine?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: June 6, 2022, 1:10 pm
Canberra Milk wrote:He's a cheat code this year. He almost never hits the ground, it's actually odd
Has there ever been another player that remains on their feet after being tackled as often as Tapine?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
First one the comes to mind is Jnr Paulo. Very hard to put down. He won't go to ground because he hates having to get back up again. :lol:

Be interesting to see the stats on it. Clubs track these kind of things but they are not published.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.