Total votes: 13

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2022 Rd 14 V Broncos: Teams and Previews

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenMachine wrote: June 6, 2022, 10:45 am
Botman wrote: June 5, 2022, 7:05 pm I want to see more of Trey Mooney
I dont think ill get it with a couple of forwards coming back into the picture, but he looked very comfortable in FG in limited time
Yep, me too.
Thought he looked great.

It's strange, this season has gone in the direction I wanted it to go .....all be it by chance rather than good planning.

I've enjoyed seeing all the young guy's get a run and have no issues with our place on the ladder to be fair.
Only thing I'd like to see more of is better attack....the chop and change of personnel hasn't helped this.

Joey T has been immense. I hope we lock him up long term.
Yeah Mooney looked great in the very very brief sample we got to see. How much of that was Ricky being Ricky and how much might it have been the different pace of 1st grade and Mooney being genuinely cooked after that short stint?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Rapa gone for this match, his body could use a break by the looks of it anyway
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bah! I thought it was an incident that deserved a week but was hoping he'd escape with a fine. So be it, i think @Neeeegz is spot on, he looks like he could use a week off anyways, keep him fresh

Im fairly confident Shiller can do a good job for us. Hopefully it's him who gets the start
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

The Nickman wrote:If he's lashed out and hit someone in the face surely that's case closed, isn't it?

Doesn't really matter what he's TRYING to hit, if you lash out with your boot and kick someone in the face that's pretty cut and dry for mine.
Yeah, you can’t just go round lashing out and kicking people in the face, and I think Rapa would probably accept that now that he’s had some time to reflect.

Having said that, if you put your face near someone’s boot on account of a dangerous-ish tackle then these things can happen, and I think Rapa would agree with that, too.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

As long as Kris doesn't move from centre to accommodate Schiller or Valemei, I'm happy with either

We suddenly have a lot of centres and not much depth at wing, somehow
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Schiller's been playing wing and fullback in NSW cup. I think we'll be fine.
If they do pick Valemei he played wing 2 weeks ago and centre last week.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 6, 2022, 1:49 pm As long as Kris doesn't move from centre to accommodate Schiller or Valemei, I'm happy with either

We suddenly have a lot of centres and not much depth at wing, somehow
Hahahaha classic Raiders
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:Schiller's been playing wing and fullback in NSW cup. I think we'll be fine.
If they do pick Valemei he played wing 2 weeks ago and centre last week.
it's rapa's workrate that we'll miss most

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Conor wrote: June 6, 2022, 1:40 pm
The Nickman wrote:If he's lashed out and hit someone in the face surely that's case closed, isn't it?

Doesn't really matter what he's TRYING to hit, if you lash out with your boot and kick someone in the face that's pretty cut and dry for mine.
Yeah, you can’t just go round lashing out and kicking people in the face, and I think Rapa would probably accept that now that he’s had some time to reflect.

Having said that, if you put your face near someone’s boot on account of a dangerous-ish tackle then these things can happen, and I think Rapa would agree with that, too.
It's the old bumping into the new. The old deterrent against some jerk coming 3rd man in and twisting your foot/wrenching at your knee used to be an "accidental" kick in the face. Harder to justify on camera and with everything else being more tightly policed.

I haven't seen the replay but if Rapa's head is being buried and someone is pulling on his leg it'd be easy enough to fight by saying he was swinging his leg for leverage/weight transference to relieve pressure on his neck which was being pressured/twisted as a result of the last man in's involvement.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders 'young buck' Xavier Savage stepping up

Xavier Savage is starting to get the hang of this NRL caper. Savage said he's been backed by his teammates to bark at them in defence, however it's still something he's getting used to at the NRL level.

"It's very new to me, just organising [the defence]," he said. "The boys, before we go out there, they're like if you need us to be there, swear at us. But it's hard when I'm the young buck and I'm swearing at all the old boys that played like over 150 games.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I'd honestly bring in Anderson if he's pulled up ok. Looks a better player than Valemei and Schiller from what I've seen. If he's not fit; Schiller. Valemei is a liability and even here essrntially at about 5th/6th stringer we're better off with the other option.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I've barely seen Anderson play. Where does the wrap on him come from?

Schiller has looked like he had a bit about him in the trials and has put together really consistent yards + defence in reggies. I'd be ok seeing him in FG. Some potential there.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

julian87 wrote: June 6, 2022, 4:48 pm I'd honestly bring in Anderson if he's pulled up ok. Looks a better player than Valemei and Schiller from what I've seen. If he's not fit; Schiller. Valemei is a liability and even here essrntially at about 5th/6th stringer we're better off with the other option.
We're dipping well into the depth chart. HSS already gone. Savage covering for CNK at fullback and Rapana suspended. We're down to winger no5 now. Schiller unused off the bench yesterday while Valemei bagged a double in NSW Cup. All depends on which way Sticky wants to go. Might come back to whoever is seen as the best match up against Oates.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Can't wait till HSS is back next year - while young in experience would add a lot to our side.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: June 6, 2022, 5:33 pm Can't wait till HSS is back next year - while young in experience would add a lot to our side.
Out of all the young backs coming through he looks to be the most rounded. Looks above average in most aspects without being outstanding in any particular one.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: June 6, 2022, 5:33 pm Can't wait till HSS is back next year - while young in experience would add a lot to our side.
It's going to get awkward. Kris has hit his straps- much more comfy in conjunction with Cotric. They know how the other wants to defend.

Timoko- a mini bulldozer who can make yards but the Momirovski burn showed a hint we aren't quite realising everything he can do. Yes he can bulldoze 3 guys for 5 extra metres but are we overlooking his ability to dominate defenders 1 on 1 if we isolate him better? Or is he a solid 6/10 centre at best. We'll see.

2 months ago I'd have had Timoko in front of Kris and HSS the wildcard who just quietly might be better than both. Kris' improvement in some really good team defensive displays + his footy instincts showing through- being Johnny on the spot for a whole bunch of offloads, loose balls off bombs/grubbers etc is no accident, it's both a skill and an attitude (reading the play in attack, willingness to get there)....

There'll be serious competition there between them. HSS looked very slick in limited opportunities before his injury but we also don't know how he'll come back.

I'm happy enough with those 3 I wouldn't be buying any centres in (we still have Toots Jr on the books too).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Based on junior football, I'd have HSS above Kris and Timoko in terms of potential. But knee injuries can be tough to come back from and they can impact your speed.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That's the obvious problem for HSS. He'd be in the side now if it wasn't for the injuries but I think he needs to get some footy under his belt to start the year before pushing someone else out.
Who he's competing against might shift as well. Rapa calls time, Savage to fullback and now CNK is sitting in that group of centre/wing players.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 6, 2022, 7:17 pm Based on junior football, I'd have HSS above Kris and Timoko in terms of potential. But knee injuries can be tough to come back from and they can impact your speed.
Sadly not his first injury either... been a bit of an ongoing problem for the poor bloke
Im still pencilling him in as a starter for next year... but Kris and Timoko are putting in some very promosing performances, and there is kids like Morkos waiting too. It's going to be tough for him
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It's a good situation for us. A year or two back we looked really thin in the outside backs.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: June 6, 2022, 7:36 pm It's a good situation for us. A year or two back we looked really thin in the outside backs.
Yeah between Timoko, Kris, HSS, Morkos, Cotric and Savage, and then Tapine, Young, CHN, Hors, Mooney, Rushton, Mariota i actually am feeling pretty good about our outside backs and forwards. We're light on edge forward imo, but i think we'll fill out MOST of the team with those guys long term
And i feeling right now pretty good about hooker with Germ Jr and Trev. I think we've got a good shot to get a good long term starter from one of those guys
I think the backbone of a pretty good team there

the halves and fullback are... dicey.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah shout out to Kris. He’s been doing a great job since he pushed back into the side again. Hope he holds the form
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 6, 2022, 7:59 pm Yeah shout out to Kris. He’s been doing a great job since he pushed back into the side again. Hope he holds the form Image
He’s really improved this year
I was highly critical of him at the back of end of last year, but always maintained he had the ability. Just needed to get his head in the game defensively

He’s done that and has looked fantastic since getting back to centre… I don’t even hold the wing stuff against him, that’s on the coach for putting in a spot he couldn’t succeed in.

Really hope he can keep it up and continue to improve
He’s a great dude with a story you want to root for
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Showed a bit of speed to outrun Keary and to swing it back round under the posts

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: June 6, 2022, 8:52 pm Showed a bit of speed to outrun Keary and to swing it back round under the posts

Look, i'd honestly hope a centre will be able to out run a half :lol:
Keary's not an exceptionally fast half, he's quick off the mark.

And for me the best part of that play wasnt even Hors charge down and regather, it was how quickly he understood to get it to quick man :lol:
He'd have been entitled to think he just has to hold the footy and shrug off a half and score the try. I dont associate Hors with a lot of high footy IQ :lol: , but as soon as he got possession he was looking for someone to take it home.
Last edited by Botman on June 7, 2022, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

Kris - Has been insane since he’s been on the left, Timoko has been exceptional on the right. If Rapana doesn’t call it time at the end of the season, HSS might have to wait until injures to get a chance next year. This is if they continue to perform.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Sid wrote: June 6, 2022, 8:52 pm Showed a bit of speed to outrun Keary and to swing it back round under the posts

That was actually Sam Walker, who would have to be the weakest player in the NRL.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I do like to try and find the speeds occasionally.

Kris has the highest Raiders back Telstra Tracker speed I've seen (I might look a round a month on avg)- in the 35.x kph zone so pretty quick- a speed that often enough gets you in the top 3 speeds for the round, so fast but not rare among clubs or individual performances either. Paps/JAC may be 37.x kph for comparison in some games. Savage hit 36.7 the other week after a swerve at a set line and angling through traffic after 67 minutes of play.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

thevikingclap on ig wrote: June 6, 2022, 10:48 pm Kris - Has been insane since he’s been on the left, Timoko has been exceptional on the right. If Rapana doesn’t call it time at the end of the season, HSS might have to wait until injures to get a chance next year. This is if they continue to perform.
Timoko was always painfully obviously a right side player. But the brain had him play left to accommodate Semi Valemei.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

It seems we have some young, quality outside backs in the squad. Lets hope they continue to improve.

I thought HSS was the most promising, so pleased to see Timoko and Kris take their opportunities.

Really hoping we don't see Semi in FG again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders debutant Trey Mooney inspired by Joe Tapine, Josh Papalii

Trey Mooney couldn't do much better than having a player like Joe Tapine by his side for his NRL debut on Sunday.

"Taps, he's someone I idolised growing up, so just to be able to run outside him and to speak to him in moments in the game, like when you're blowing [for air], it's been awesome," Mooney said. "It gives me confidence to go out there and do my own thing."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

HSS is the first winger picked next year if fit, with Kris and Timoko centres

CNK, Rapana and Cotric thereabouts

All subject to injuries and form tho
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I would like to see Frawley stay and Fog go to NSW cup to get his fitness up for this week but that will never happen. Same as last week except Schiller in for Rapana and hopefully either another forward on the bench or Starling out and a better utility player in. Starling hasn't been the same because he has too many off field distractions right now. Until he is able to do a full week training seems odd to keep him in the side.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What’s gone right, wrong at every club as grades revealed: NRL mid-season report card

RAIDERS
Ladder: 11th (6-0-7, -35)

What’s gone right: The short answer is not a lot, but Ricky Stuart’s men have improved drastically over the last five rounds. The team from the nation’s capital were handed the nickname ‘the faders’ after performing in the first half before their rivals stormed home in the second to win on multiple occasions. After the golden point loss to the Warriors in Round 8, the Raiders had bombed 10 eight-point leads since 2020 – the most of any team in that period. Ricky Stuart’s men then went on a three-game winning streak, beating the Bulldogs, Sharks and Rabbitohs to revive their season. As it stands, the Raiders have been able to match it with finals contenders and were in the battle against the Eels in Round 12, a performance that Ricky Stuart was pleased with. Then the Raiders came out in Round 13 and beat the Roosters, with both teams missing crucial Origin players but another move in the right direction.

Grade: C

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 988fbd9af8
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 7, 2022, 11:40 am HSS is the first winger picked next year if fit, with Kris and Timoko centres

CNK, Rapana and Cotric thereabouts

All subject to injuries and form tho
Tough call. When in form, Cotric and Rapana form a very good wing comibation.

While Cotric had a slow start to the year, he has been lights out the past month.