All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Re: Raiders reportedly interested in Hull FC fullback Jake Connor

Post by MrPosh »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 2, 2022, 5:40 pm
BadnMean wrote: June 2, 2022, 4:12 pm He can certainly pass. Edit: Wow he kicks in general play too- decently it looks like. We'd either be shifting Fog, Wighton or Savage. That'd be a big call by Rick. We're 5:1 for the English imports to turn out pretty good players so far...

Oh he looks just fantastic. Putting players into gaps with short and long passes, this is *exactly* what we need. He might be in the #1 but is a playmaker through and through. Great work Raiders in going for him, next step throw the cheque book at him

If he came, he'd instantly be the best playmaker we have, by a long way. I'm salivating

He could easily, easily play 6 or 7. Many of those situations in the video are basically first receiver type scenarios
This was the point I made about being one of the two best players in SL for the Raiders.

Is he in the best two players? On his day he can match anyone, anywhere, but overall I don't think so. But his skillset is exactly what the Raiders need.

(The other player, Knowles, is the best player in SL and also exactly what the Raiders need - but this time in defence. He's a stone cold superstar and the only team in the world he doesn't make better is the Panthers, but he's damn close to Isiah Yeo).
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeo, you say?

We'll take em both :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I have to say one of the true joys of a MrPosh post is being reminded one of my all time favourites... Lesley Vainikolo. **** i loved that guy.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Botman wrote: June 2, 2022, 7:11 pm Yeo, you say?

Oh god yes please. Morgan Knowles especially, he looks like a taller faster Hudson Young with class. Or maybe echoes of Tarps at lock. I don't now how old he is but boy he can run.

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

ok so:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Knowles

says he can play hooker too.

and by my rough calculation 25 years old?
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 2, 2022, 11:41 pm

Oh god yes please. Morgan Knowles especially, he looks like a taller faster Hudson Young with class. Or maybe echoes of Tarps at lock. I don't now how old he is but boy he can run.

Looks OK in that highlights reel, until you realise that 80-90% of his best work is done in defence.

Unbelievable line speed and drags the whe line with him.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

MrPosh wrote: June 3, 2022, 12:23 am

Looks OK in that highlights reel, until you realise that 80-90% of his best work is done in defence.

Where have you been hiding him you ?

on the other hand, what are his contract details if you have any knowledge? If what you reckon on his defence is on the money, he looks like an easy 750-800k backrower. Better than Ryan Matterson, for example.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 3, 2022, 1:02 am

on the other hand, what are his contract details if you have any knowledge? If what you reckon on his defence is on the money, he looks like an easy 750-800k backrower. Better than Ryan Matterson, for example.
He's signed with St Helens until 2025 if that still means anything.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Think we are getting a bit over excited. Knowles is not bigger than Young (he might look bigger in SL teams).

He's got one line break this year in 11 games in SL. Not a noted tackle breaker by his stats. Young has 4 line breaks in from the same # of games vs NRL defences btw... Highlights packages accrued across a career are one thing...

If he's a superb defender- great. He'll need to be. But 800k backrower? I'd be throwing half that at him, with clubs option for 2nd year at bigger money. We do need a genuine edge though, or a mobile lock (depending on how we want to use CHN, Rushton, Mooney).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BigPapa wrote: June 3, 2022, 6:49 am

He's signed with St Helens until 2025 if that still means anything.
We could always pay a big transfer fee. Worked well for us in the past.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

He doesn't seem to be a marquee player and with a fair few NRL and senior test players in their squad he is probably on well under 300k. I'm not sure if he gets a bump for being a test player though.

I think if you offered him the Elliot deal he would be here in a flash. The transfer fee might be an issue for the club though after they have been burnt with Williams.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Apparently he just suffered a medial ligament injury this weekend.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

deanoman wrote: June 11, 2022, 4:16 pm Apparently he just suffered a medial ligament injury this weekend.
Yeah, ten weeks.

I saw an article yesterday, which I can't find - sorry - but it was Brett Hodgson basically not denying the rumour and talking about Bevan French as a replacement (I'll let botman insert his own joke, here).
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

MrPosh wrote: June 11, 2022, 10:22 pm
deanoman wrote: June 11, 2022, 4:16 pm Apparently he just suffered a medial ligament injury this weekend.
Yeah, ten weeks.

I saw an article yesterday, which I can't find - sorry - but it was Brett Hodgson basically not denying the rumour and talking about Bevan French as a replacement (I'll let botman insert his own joke, here).
How would he cope in a team full of merkins who play the last 20 mins like it's the last 2 mins and a coach who forgets he even has a bench to use and just roams the sidelines kicking chairs over?

E.g how do you think he'd adapt to the NRL?
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

BadnMean wrote: June 11, 2022, 10:30 pm
Yeah, ten weeks.

How would he cope in a team full of merkins who play the last 20 mins like it's the last 2 mins and a coach who forgets he even has a bench to use and just roams the sidelines kicking chairs over?

He wouldn't come and do OK. He'll either struggle a bit or be incredible.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

If he’s a bit thick he’ll join the Raiders…
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

MrPosh wrote: June 12, 2022, 5:06 am
BadnMean wrote: June 11, 2022, 10:30 pm
Yeah, ten weeks.

He wouldn't come and do OK. He'll either struggle a bit or be incredible.
Yeah i think this is generally the case for the english imports
I cant think of many who are just solid NRL players, they're ususally either really good or simply cant cut it
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Reckon this is a done thing.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: June 2, 2022, 7:18 pm I have to say one of the true joys of a MrPosh post is being reminded one of my all time favourites... Lesley Vainikolo. **** i loved that guy.
Props to this post.
the volcano was one of my favs all time too… shoulda been in green for longer.

I remember a night going to central coast stadium with dad the northern eagles were winning but the volcano was just on fire..
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: June 13, 2022, 10:34 am Reckon this is a done thing.
Is there some new news out?

Or you heard something?

Or more an Azza feeling?
SteRed
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Charnze

Post by SteRed »

New member here but I put this on the Green Machine podcast page when it came out about the interest in Connor. I’m Hull FC member and Canberra fan (most Brits have a NRL team).

Think it’s a nothing story. He recently became a father and is really close to his family as he lost his dad as a child so no chance he leaves them. He didn’t even move from the area he grew up in instead he commutes to Hull.

Talent wise he is ridiculous though, is far and away the most naturally gifted player in SL. The best player I’ve ever seen at in a 3 on 2 situation.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

SteRed wrote: June 20, 2022, 4:13 am New member here but I put this on the Green Machine podcast page when it came out about the interest in Connor. I’m Hull FC member and Canberra fan (most Brits have a NRL team).

Think it’s a nothing story. He recently became a father and is really close to his family as he lost his dad as a child so no chance he leaves them. He didn’t even move from the area he grew up in instead he commutes to Hull.

Talent wise he is ridiculous though, is far and away the most naturally gifted player in SL. The best player I’ve ever seen at in a 3 on 2 situation.
We are very used to players coming from the UK and getting homesick. Sounds like he would fit right in.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The CoVID border situation was a nightmare, so that helps, but from what I can gather all the fullback eggs are now being put in the Savage basket.

Time will tell though.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

SteRed wrote: June 20, 2022, 4:13 am New member here but I put this on the Green Machine podcast page when it came out about the interest in Connor. I’m Hull FC member and Canberra fan (most Brits have a NRL team).

Thanks for your insights. Surely he'd consider bringing the wife and child over if it could set them up financially
SteRed
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by SteRed »

FROG wrote: June 20, 2022, 2:55 pm

Thanks for your insights. Surely he'd consider bringing the wife and child over if it could set them up financially
The way he has spoken about his family in the past I don’t think he leaves them, he even tried to back out of his move to Hull FC initially.

Think the Rushton/Dom Young recruitment is the way to go tbh get the younger guys with no real commitments in the UK. A Londoner who plays for Wigan called Kai Pearce-Paul is next 1 in that mould to be heading over.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think the knights are getting that Kai Pearce-Paul

From what i've heard about it, it's a shame, he's the sort of player we could use in the back row
SteRed
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by SteRed »

Botman wrote: June 20, 2022, 3:51 pm I think the knights are getting that Kai Pearce-Paul

From what i've heard about it, it's a shame, he's the sort of player we could use in the back row
He would have been a good signing as that back rower that can also fit in at centre is invaluable
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

I think this rumour got a whole lot more legs today. Hull FC just signed Tex Hoy from the Knights. I thinks he’s Pongas understudy.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Interesting
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yes, that is interesting. Man I’d love to see this guy come over and have a crack here with us
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I still don’t quite know how the puzzle goes together, with savage looking long term fullback, and Jack left side half, but it would be a great problem to have… how do we fit quality players together rather than how do we make up for lack of quality players…
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Pretty sure the England coach prefers him at centre, so can play multiple positions

From what I’ve seen of him he’s just a natural footballer could play him anywhere
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The thing from the highlights that stands out to me is his hall playing at the line, something we are sorely missing. It would be a complete waste to have him line up at anywhere but a ball playing position.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Agreed
If he’s coming here it has to be to improve our ball playing, so that’s somewhere he’s going to get the football
Daniel
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Daniel »

It's worth pointing out that Hull FC released Josh Reynolds during the week, so Tex Hoy (who also plays five-eighth) would most likely be viewed as the replacement for him.

I tend to agree with SteRed that this is a non-story. If Connor was a realistic chance of switching to the NRL, the Super League reporters and commentators would be all over it because he's one of their biggest stars, but there's been very little mention of this story in England.