Roosters 13+
14%

Total votes: 7

jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: 2022 Rd 13 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by jimmy82 »

I think starling stifles our game when he comes on on the second half.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 5, 2022, 5:56 pm Great win by the boys. Not perfect, halfback poor, bench usage counter productive.... But hung on

All of Ricky's strengths and weaknesses on show there
Please explain how the halfback was poor???? Is your name Sam Williams???
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

jimmy82 wrote: June 5, 2022, 8:57 pm I think starling stifles our game when he comes on on the second half.
Interesting to see his minutes have slowly been swallowed up. I think i agree and i think the coach agrees. Woolford is playing and EARNING most of the minutes now.
He's a limited player in some ways but what he does is give good quality service and let our pretty good forward pack do their thing
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Fogarty was not great but he hasn't played in ages
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

exrefhollywood wrote: June 5, 2022, 8:57 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: June 5, 2022, 5:56 pm Great win by the boys. Not perfect, halfback poor, bench usage counter productive.... But hung on

Anyone who watched the game could see he was poor. Yes it may be a bit harsh as it’s only his second game back after a long injury lay off, and forming new combos in a new team.

But in a nutshell he missed a penalty kick for touch, made a poor defensive decision leading to a try, missed a very much needed conversion to go 8 in front, gave away a 7 tackle set with a poor grubber, failed to finish any sets attacking their line, crabbed across field without finding an outside back or straightening the attack, etc.

His two intercepts were good though. I hope to see a much better performance over coming weeks. I don’t think he offered much more than what Schneider could today.
Last edited by Finchy on June 5, 2022, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't think we've got much from our halves the past 2 weeks. The kicking game is very inconsistent and our centres are struggling to get early ball in a bit of room to do anything with it.

On the other hand, our forward pack has been outstanding. There's often a few errors, but the likes of Tapine, Young, Elliott and Horsburgh are playing some outstanding football and are really putting pressure on the opposition. Young's pass to Kris in the first half was unfortunately dropped, but he is truly becoming a real weapon on the edge. I love watching him play. Tapine is currently at the elite level of front rowers.

So, as much as our attack can be clunky and the kicking game poor, our forwards are playing as well as I have ever seen.

Savage was generally good too. His effort in that game was outstanding. Can't break a tackle, but is powering into the defensive line and is always sniffing around the ruck for an offload...which is always on the cards.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Botman wrote: June 5, 2022, 8:58 pm
jimmy82 wrote: June 5, 2022, 8:57 pm I think starling stifles our game when he comes on on the second half.
Interesting to see his minutes have slowly been swallowed up. I think i agree and i think the coach agrees. Woolford is playing and EARNING most of the minutes now.
He's a limited player in some ways but what he does is give good quality service and let our pretty good forward pack do their thing
Seems we lose a bit of something when he is off the field, he is a must keep for this team in the next few years
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: June 5, 2022, 8:58 pm
Yeah interesting times ahead for Starling. How long is he signed for? He doesn’t appear to be an option as a starting 9 and there are question marks around what he is providing off the bench. Zac W hasn’t put a foot wrong and Trevellian seems a great prospect. Not sure where that leaves Tommy longer term.
Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne

Post by Joshjacksonshead »

Billy Walker wrote: June 5, 2022, 6:06 pm Adam Elliott on Fox complaining about the heat and saying he’s going to Newcastle on a development contract on Boyle’s coat tails. He’s quite funny.
Yes certainly a popular man of the people , seems to have many friends amongst his team fellows and on top of all these attributes, seems to be hitting the form that we all knew he would all along , waltzing in for tries under the posts , bamboozling defences with his speed , strength and sleight of hand , :clap: Adam we who know more than most salute you and your resilience
Hillsraider
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Hillsraider »

Billy Walker wrote: June 5, 2022, 6:55 pm
CRaid wrote: June 5, 2022, 6:54 pm So all those Raiders that should not have put on a Raiders top again … any comments ??
Huh?
Think he took a wrong turn from the happy clapper Facebook page, Billy
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Woolford may be at another club in 2023 if we don't act soon..
Hillsraider
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Hillsraider »

Raider_Boy wrote: June 5, 2022, 7:15 pm Just watched the roosters presser. Fantastic to hear the song coming through loud and clear in the background. Must be demoralizing as ****
So THAT'S what I heard in the background of the team song :D
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:06 pm
exrefhollywood wrote: June 5, 2022, 8:57 pm

Anyone who watched the game could see he was poor. Yes it may be a bit harsh as it’s only his second game back after a long injury lay off, and forming new combos in a new team.

But in a nutshell he missed a penalty kick for touch, made a poor defensive decision leading to a try, missed a very much needed conversion to go 8 in front, gave away a 7 tackle set with a poor grubber, failed to finish any sets attacking their line, crabbed across field without finding an outside back or straightening the attack, etc.

His two intercepts were good though. I hope to see a much better performance over coming weeks. I don’t think he offered much more than what Schneider could today.
I agree he was poor, but i dont agree about that last line, also the guy has missed 1 goal in like 8 attempts so chipping him on goal kicking is pretty harsh! haha.

He's not making good decisions right now with ball playing, he's playing short when he should go long, playing long when the short ball is on... it's not great and his first two games havent been super impressive.

But he IS promoting the ball, he's able to catch the ball in stride, process it, make a decision and get the ball somewhere. Schneider could not consistently do that, his processing and passing process was too slow. So on that, and that alone, he's offering a lot more than Schnieder. His kicking game hasnt been great either but i do think it's been better as well. I think we'll need to give him more time and this is a **** situaton where Wighton might come in and out of the line up over the next few weeks. I think (hope) he's doing fine and i think he was better this week and will continue to get better.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Joshjacksonshead wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:11 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 5, 2022, 6:06 pm Adam Elliott on Fox complaining about the heat and saying he’s going to Newcastle on a development contract on Boyle’s coat tails. He’s quite funny.
Yes certainly a popular man of the people , seems to have many friends amongst his team fellows and on top of all these attributes, seems to be hitting the form that we all knew he would all along , waltzing in for tries under the posts , bamboozling defences with his speed , strength and sleight of hand , :clap: Adam we who know more than most salute you and your resilience
Good game today mate. I literally yelled “joshjacksonshead in under the posts!” when you scored
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Couple of my friends went to the game live. They said Fog very much a talker and organiser on the field. Schneider never really seemed comfortable with that.

He's got some improving to do, general play kicking for starters. But he was bought in to take some of that pressure off Jack. Love to see them get a month of footy together somewhere but origin looks like disrupting the combo's for a while. I think we'll need to be a bit patient there. Hopefully he hits his stride in the next few weeks.

Re Starling. We need him because Woolford hasn't played more than 55 minutes yet. Having a fast bench hooker who can tackle well is a plus. He hasn't grown into the starting role but I like him in the team. Different challenge for defences and saves us being a HIA away fro makeshift hookers all game.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bloody autocorrect - I meant to say his head is quite funny looking :lol:

Nah he’s a good fella.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Given Fogarty has only played 2 games and both of them with a different 6 next to him I’m prepared to not judge him too harshly just yet. If we can keep the same spine on the park for a month we will have a better idea of what is possible. He’s a competitor and I have no doubt that we haven’t seen anywhere near his best.

Starling is struggling to find his place at the moment. I wouldn’t be surprised if with his court case etc that his head isn’t completely in the game and that once things settle down he will improve his form. He has the ability to lift the pace of the game when he comes on and be a damaging runner but his timing has been a bit off. He also needs to make good decisions about when to run, when to let the forwards roll and when to let it sing. If he gets that right I think he will be fine.

If we can get our spine to click we could be anything because aside from that we seem to be going pretty well across the park.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Some much better signs from the team overall, in the last month or so. We seem to have a better defensive attitude, with players scrambling and scrapping much better than earlier in the year. Hopefully our better defence gives the players the confidence to chance their arm more in attack - ie. being able to defend the errors. A few bad reads/misses from fogarty but he'll get better.

Loved seeing Savage hovering behind the ruck at the start of the game but maybe his motor isn't quite there yet, to sustain that level of involvement for longer periods. He keeps building like this and CNK may have trouble getting back in.

Hudson Young is playing well at the moment. He's a bit mouthy, which I love, but now he's backing it up with some plays. Tapine has played this well in the past - 1 week out of 5 - this year's he's playing awesome every week.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

dubby wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:00 pm Fogarty was not great but he hasn't played in ages
Never saw anything outstanding from him at the Titans either, but to be fair, he looks broken at the moment. Doesn’t look physically fit, something’s still wrong with his knee or he aggravated it again today.

I agree with those saying Tapine is the best prop in the game. That’s one major tick on the list of things Ricky has done well, the shift to prop has been masterful. Credit where it’s due.
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

The starling situation is interesting.

I know our pack is playing well at the moment, but I wonder whether the middles need to be replaced the set before starling comes on, so that he can play off the back of fresh middles against a tired/tiring opposition middle.
Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne

Billy Walker wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:22 pm

Nah he’s a good fella.
Yes my friend however let’s not forget - we ain’t no oil paintings!
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Billy Walker wrote: June 5, 2022, 7:22 pm
Green Machine 2011 wrote: June 5, 2022, 7:07 pm
Botman wrote: June 5, 2022, 6:36 pm
Finchy wrote: June 5, 2022, 6:23 pm
Pete Cash wrote: June 5, 2022, 6:15 pm Nic has been good this month. Nothing really to complain about. Some people just get an axe to grind and won't change opinion based on new evidence.
Some people (blinded by their hatred for a Croker, Rapana, and Cotric) put all their eggs in the Valemei basket. Now that he’s been shown up as not up to first grade standard (which nearly everyone here had been saying all year), those with an axe to grind will continually find fault with Croker, Rapana, and Cotric despite the fact their boy Valemei doesn’t seem to even be in the conversation of first grade selection anymore, and for good reason.
Broncos hq trolls gonna troll.
Call me naive but I legit never even considered supporters coming into other forums to troll. Sad really
I very much doubt it would ever happen. There are a few on here that accuse me of being a Bronco’s supporter because I put up opinions that differ to those that reverberate in their echo chamber.

My take on it is that there are two types of supporters on here. The micro level supporters that cheer everything green and are just happy turning up. That’s fine and good luck to them. Sport wouldn’t be much fun week to week if you only celebrated the major successes.

The other supporters like myself enjoy the wins like today but want our club to be the best team in the comp and the envy of all other clubs. That doesn’t come from celebrating mediocrity and making excuses for underperformance.

Great win today against a quality opposition but kidding ourselves if we think we are running with the top dogs of the comp.

I think it’s great to celebrate Tarp’s form, Young’s effort, and Savage and Hor’s improvement, but I also think it makes a lot of sense to ask where the next lot of improvement comes from. Where do we find the next 10% improvement to bridge the gap to the Panthers and Storm. Somehow asking those questions makes you a Bronco’s supporter in some folks eyes. Odd stuff but gives me a chuckle. :lol:
Well said. If Tedesco had played today we would have been blitzed! The Raiders make too many simple errors and are often unprofessional; like getting a penalty and then wanting to start a fight.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne

Finchy wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:18 pm
Good game today mate. I literally yelled “joshjacksonshead in under the posts!” when you scored
My young friend , you seem to have myself , joshjacksonshead , the one who stands up to bullies , confused with Mr Adam Elliott , the form player of the NRL competition, however, you are correct , for once , in that Mr Adam Elliott had a good game today - and every other day
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Joshjacksonshead wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:42 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:22 pm

Nah he’s a good fella.
Yes my friend however let’s not forget - we ain’t no oil paintings!
I’ll be sad if you are no longer posting after AE moves north. You are one of the more entertaining ones on here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

2022 Rd 13 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Neeeegz wrote:
Green Machine 2011 wrote: June 5, 2022, 7:53 pm Anything to take away from a VERY short and sweet presser, or just Rick being Stick?
Should of been pretty happy to talk after that win I would of thought, only took two questions
I think only Polky turned up. Stuart said at the start… ask a couple of questions then come into the sheds and you can ask whatever else you want. It’s a bit tough on Polky having to ask all the questions… but Ricky seems to forget the press conferences are for the fans, ultimately, not the media. It’s twice a week, where he’s required by the NRL to explain things to the fans… it’s not much.

The coach should be explaining what he thought of the game and… not saying things like, “I can’t explain that”… because it might offend a player or the playing group. Up to him to work out how to explain things to the fans while not offending the players. He’s had lots of experience, it should be possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

If that was what the chill factor was for the 1st weekend in winter god help us end of july/early August!!

That was tough conditions there today, anyone else see the strange clouds over Mal Meninga Grand Stand second half? Spooky looking!!

I was pleasantly surprised to see Adam Elliott still putting in, has a history of dropping off once the contract is signed.

Tough conditions for all the boys tonight, was slippery out there and hard on cold bodies when they landed

Bring on the broncos!
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 5, 2022, 5:33 pm Trey has an imposing stature. I'll call it early with him too, he'll make it
Late to the party.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

exrefhollywood wrote:

He was ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

denissnowy wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:39 pm The starling situation is interesting.

I know our pack is playing well at the moment, but I wonder whether the middles need to be replaced the set before starling comes on, so that he can play off the back of fresh middles against a tired/tiring opposition middle.
Only way Stuart is ever doing two interchanges at the same time is if we get two guys knock each other out with a head clash. I agree it would be a killer combo but we have to save our interchanges for "later". We used 7 today but the 7th was in the 77th minute to take Sutton off for Horsburgh's third run.

We played really well, and considering possession was 46% to 54% we did great, but I feel we could have made it a lot easier on our self by not carrying a hooker AND a back on the bench while also not utilising our interchanges or even all our bench players (Schiller got nothing, Mooney got 15).
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Reading back through this thread and jeez, it is a site of doomsayers and crisis merchants.

Leading one of the competition's better sides without our 2 best players and we had members calling for the coach's head and bagging the team. My god.

Incredibly gutsy effort in defence I thought today.

The way the coach/players have turned it all around in the past month is outstanding. I had us spoon chances and now would be disappointed if we miss the finals.

Fogarty is a work in progress but happy with his efforts.

Zac Woolford has been a revelation.

Tapine is arguably the best FRF in the game right now.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

exrefhollywood wrote: June 5, 2022, 8:56 pm

Come on now.

Fogartys kicking game left a lot to be desired. His defence was not great.

And at maybe 4 junctures he made horrific decisions. Not hitting Whitehead and then not going out the back is nigh on unforgivable given that is exactly what his role is. He looks injured but the very worrying thing about that is that it just shows he doesn't play what's in front of him at all. Another go through the motions despite the opposition style halfback.

He's the best 7 at the club. And people have been way OTT these 2 games. But you don't get a free pass for some really poor decisions when you're earning what he does.

I think we'd have won more games if he didn't get injured and hopefully he starts to play what's in front of him.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

yeh raiders wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:36 pm
dubby wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:00 pm Fogarty was not great but he hasn't played in ages
Never saw anything outstanding from him at the Titans either, but to be fair, he looks broken at the moment. Doesn’t look physically fit, something’s still wrong with his knee or he aggravated it again today.

I agree with those saying Tapine is the best prop in the game. That’s one major tick on the list of things Ricky has done well, the shift to prop has been masterful. Credit where it’s due.
Genius or compulsion... is there a single edge on our books Ricky hasn't given a run in the middle?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2022 Rd 13 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

My take on Fogerty is he just looks unfit. Once he gets into shape we can judge him then… I think he needs a few weeks to get into trim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

Why didn't Woolf get a go sooner? He looks perfectly competent at 9, muscles up in defence, good service, doesn't have the pace but when we are team looking to grind doesn't he fit the bill perfectly?
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

My worry with starling right now is that Tapine has become effectively impossible to get to the ground and I'd expect him to shred some markers from it.

He just looks flat at what he is good at. So that really puts the focus on what he isn't and that's his service.