2022 State of Origin I: Blues V Maroons

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: 2022 State of Origin I: Blues V Maroons

Post by Rick »

greeneyed wrote:
Butters wrote: June 9, 2022, 1:11 am
greeneyed wrote:
Rick wrote: June 9, 2022, 1:02 am
RedRaider wrote:Congratulations to Qld. They played at a faster tempo than NSW. The NSW halves seemed constantly rushed in attack. In defence I thought NSW were looking for the 'next' play rather than focusing on the man with the ball. We saw it in many Munster breaks and the DCE try from the scrum base. Next up in Perth. I don't know that there will be too many changes to NSW, but I hope Freddy has another think about Jurbo. I would have him in for RCG.

I thought both Raiders, Papa and Jack had fine games. Jack and Teddy were probably best on ground for NSW.
Don’t talk about DCE in the scrum base. That was absolutely rubbish and again should have been a penalty.

Raiders tried the same thing back in the Carney days and it got called back right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those situations were in no way similar. Looked at by the bunker, cleared.
I always think GE is a fair judge during Raiders season, and then makes QLD friendly claims which makes me doubt my own green glasses. Is this what we are like?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Come on. In that situation, where the Raiders were penalised, they parted the middle of the scrum and the Raiders player ran through the middle of it. It was like Moses parted the sea. There is little approximation between that and Paulo being tangled in a scrum. As the NSW commentators said, that happens in every scrum.
So you are saying players held onto players in the scrum in both situations but because of the colour of the jerseys it’s ok?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: June 9, 2022, 1:18 am
greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Don’t talk about DCE in the scrum base. That was absolutely rubbish and again should have been a penalty.

Raiders tried the same thing back in the Carney days and it got called back right away.

I always think GE is a fair judge during Raiders season, and then makes QLD friendly claims which makes me doubt my own green glasses. Is this what we are like?

Come on. In that situation, where the Raiders were penalised, they parted the middle of the scrum and the Raiders player ran through the middle of it. It was like Moses parted the sea. There is little approximation between that and Paulo being tangled in a scrum. As the NSW commentators said, that happens in every scrum.
So you are saying players held onto players in the scrum in both situations but because of the colour of the jerseys it’s ok?

No I didn’t say that at all. I’m saying no penalty tonight was justified based on the evidence.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Oi ge bro;

Just go check out fox sports Facebook and the photos they have provided. Same scenario. No try.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: June 9, 2022, 1:22 am Oi ge bro;

Just go check out fox sports Facebook and the photos they have provided. Same scenario. No try.

Oi Rick bro;

It’s a scrum, you’re supposed to bind. I’ve just watched it, multiple times on the post game show. The bunker reviewed it, no evidence to suggest a penalty required.

There’s no similarity to the Raiders’ parting of the sea “play”.

Interesting to see NSW complaining about the ruck speed. Queensland were 0.18 seconds faster. Virtually exactly the same. Lots of sour grapes happening.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Best origin for a while, surely? I really enjoyed it.

Jack was superb, best Blue out there in my (admittedly biased) opinion. That was the kind of "made for Origin" performance that he gets picked for, so physical on both sides of the ball. Was surprised they didn't kick to him a little more given that he's elite in the air and there was the rookie Cobbo on that side for Qld.

Papa made a nice start, I'm not sure if it was pre-meditated but I thought it was a good change from Slater to bring Carrigan on. The Blues backs were making a stack of yardage in and around the ruck early in the game, Qld's mobile forwards like Cotter and Carrigan were important to change the momentum of the game. Not every game will go that way though, I'd be surprised if Papa didn't see some more minutes in the remaining matches.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I’m a NSW supporter (full disclosure) and there was nothing wrong with the DCE try.

That’s not where the game was lost…

The bench is where QLD outplayed us.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Regarding Papa, I wouldn't read too much into it. He was good when on. I just think Cotter and Carrigan (and Collins for that matter) exceeded expectations and the Coach had no choice but to roll with them.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote:
RedRaider wrote:Congratulations to Qld. They played at a faster tempo than NSW. The NSW halves seemed constantly rushed in attack. In defence I thought NSW were looking for the 'next' play rather than focusing on the man with the ball. We saw it in many Munster breaks and the DCE try from the scrum base. Next up in Perth. I don't know that there will be too many changes to NSW, but I hope Freddy has another think about Jurbo. I would have him in for RCG.

I thought both Raiders, Papa and Jack had fine games. Jack and Teddy were probably best on ground for NSW.

1. Absolutely nothing wrong with the DCE try, just poor defence by NSW.

2. Yes most on here have thick green glasses on and that’s to be expected as it’s a fan forum. At times this results is some weird warped realities, but generally it’s just good passion for the raiders.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wiki Special wrote: June 9, 2022, 7:07 am Regarding Papa, I wouldn't read too much into it. He was good when on. I just think Cotter and Carrigan (and Collins for that matter) exceeded expectations and the Coach had no choice but to roll with them.
Hard to tell what was going on there. Nothing wrong with Paps' performance when he was on the field. Only had 22 mins. Made 20 tackles in that time. Didn't get many hit ups due to possession flow during his stints. Maybe just a case of Billy sticking to the hot hand the way Carrigan and Collins were going. Losing Coates affected the rotations a bit and he had to sub Nanai off and on again.

Good outcome though. Paps will have plenty of gas in the tank for the trip to Brisbane this weekend. I was also hoping Wighton would be hooked for Crichton after 20 mins. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

What a great game. Shame about the result, but QLD win well deserved.

If you ever want an example why NSW just doesn’t get Origin, it’s the treatment of Jack Wighton prior to the game. The guy is a Clive Churchill and Dally M winner, who has probably had only 1 bad game playing for NSW (in 2020 when he defended poorly). Plays tough, physical and fast, the cliche and classic “big game player”. If you actually watch the Raiders, you would know he has played great this season, too. Yet the entire build up, the media pundits and public were constantly questioning his spot in the team - pushing Staggs (!) and Crichton, who are both (at this stage of their careers) flashy, highlight reel style players. Wighton deserves way more respect - there are limitations to his game of course, but the way Origin is played (speed, physicality), those limitations don’t matter for a left centre. If he was a Queenslander, there is no way they would discuss replacing him with Tabuai-Fidow, for example.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

GreenMachine wrote:I’m a NSW supporter (full disclosure) and there was nothing wrong with the DCE try.

As much as I’d love to say it’s a penalty the scrum has to bind and NSW we’re caught out big time.

If the Raiders had scored and it got pulled up for that we’d all be blowing up.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

TongueFTW wrote:What a great game. Shame about the result, but QLD win well deserved.

If you ever want an example why NSW just doesn’t get Origin, it’s the treatment of Jack Wighton prior to the game. The guy is a Clive Churchill and Dally M winner, who has probably had only 1 bad game playing for NSW (in 2020 when he defended poorly). Plays tough, physical and fast, the cliche and classic “big game player”. If you actually watch the Raiders, you would know he has played great this season, too. Yet the entire build up, the media pundits and public were constantly questioning his spot in the team - pushing Staggs (!) and Crichton, who are both (at this stage of their careers) flashy, highlight reel style players. Wighton deserves way more respect - there are limitations to his game of course, but the way Origin is played (speed, physicality), those limitations don’t matter for a left centre. If he was a Queenslander, there is no way they would discuss replacing him with Tabuai-Fidow, for example.
If you wanted a better example look at how they treated Josh Addo-Carr. Queensland picks guys like Gagai and Ponga no matter how poorly they’re playing at club level, because they know they’ll step up and do the job.

As a Queensland fan I was stoked Addo-Carr was left out of the side, that’s a clear sign Freddie had erred.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Crickets from all the experts that rubbished Wightons selection at centre. Him and Latrell for game 2 hopefully.

I can't help but think the best 2 NSW second rowers weren't even in the squad and it showed. I don't think any club in the comp would sign or select Liam Martin or Tariq Sims over Crichton or Olakuatu.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Freddie showed his loyalty for the wrong players.

No idea how Sims was a starter. And Addo-Carr non-selection was a bad one.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

How good was Wighton? Man what a game. The halves didn't really come alive until the last 15mins and the forwards were controlled in the ruck for long periods. Need to change some personnel in the middle. Paulo was terrible.
The halves just need to be better. Cleary left as an easy target as the sole kicking option far too often and the kicking game wasn't effective or creative.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Qlders in commentary are poor imo.

When qld are winning - you don’t need to know what qld need to do to win, they are already winning..

Sideline / expert opinion should be about the adjustments the other side “losing” side needs to make… not just whom you are going for…

Wendell on triple m was a bit less bias on this front on mmm in making what commentary should be made…
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

zim wrote: June 9, 2022, 11:21 am How good was Wighton? Man what a game. The halves didn't really come alive until the last 15mins and the forwards were controlled in the ruck for long periods. Need to change some personnel in the middle. Paulo was terrible.
The halves just need to be better. Cleary left as an easy target as the sole kicking option far too often and the kicking game wasn't effective or creative.
Yeah tbh ive never been sold on RCG or Paulo... I didnt mind liam martin.. NSW always pick on size, when imo middles should be picked on mostly effort / contact etc... for example tino is bigger then carrigan... carrigan was by far QLDs best middle.

I also think tupou is a bit slow on our wing when you have papenhuyzen or JAC who could be there...
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Fittler is a clever football brain but he aint a coach. He is another Barrett. At best assistant level.

He even lost a series when in fact nsw's roster and talent pool is far superior to qlds. If there is a chance to over complicate footy.. just give it to NSW.

Jake Trbojevic not being selected is an example of how NSW's core values. The reason why i cant stand them.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

The Nickman wrote: June 9, 2022, 10:18 am
TongueFTW wrote:What a great game. Shame about the result, but QLD win well deserved.

If you wanted a better example look at how they treated Josh Addo-Carr. Queensland picks guys like Gagai and Ponga no matter how poorly they’re playing at club level, because they know they’ll step up and do the job.

As a Queensland fan I was stoked Addo-Carr was left out of the side, that’s a clear sign Freddie had erred.

And Jake Trobojevic another one. A man who is such a great culture fit and solid performer time and time again.

Exactly the reason i support QLD too. Its what they stand for.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Staggs is not an Origin player at this point in his career and I'm not confident he ever will be.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Slater mentioning the players feel like family. That's tick one for him being a future raiders coach.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

papabear wrote: June 9, 2022, 11:40 am Qlders in commentary are poor imo.

When qld are winning - you don’t need to know what qld need to do to win, they are already winning..

Sideline / expert opinion should be about the adjustments the other side “losing” side needs to make… not just whom you are going for…

Wendell on triple m was a bit less bias on this front on mmm in making what commentary should be made…
I thought during the game that the "expert" opinion offered was nearly always no more than the commentator's wishful thinking for the team they support.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

As if the NSW commentators aren't exactly the same.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: June 9, 2022, 2:30 pm

Yeah, what a ridiculous one-eyed take. Phil Gould sat on the post-match panel and sulked the whole time!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: June 9, 2022, 2:50 pm

Yeah, what a ridiculous one-eyed take. Phil Gould sat on the post-match panel and sulked the whole time!
Add to the that commentary panel is already fairly loaded with a NSW perspective. Need to same some semblance of balance.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: June 9, 2022, 1:54 pm Slater mentioning the players feel like family. That's tick one for him being a future raiders coach.
He does have a rural background too. Welcome to the farm Billy. :thumbsup
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 9, 2022, 7:06 am I’m a NSW supporter (full disclosure) and there was nothing wrong with the DCE try.

Agree GM about the DCE try. NSW back row were in such a hurry to get to the right side QLD outside backs they took their eyes off the bloke with the ball and DCE went through untouched. NSW playing catch up from that moment on.
I thought the RCG lack of mobility/fitness hurt. Jurbo covers a lot of ground laterally and covers holes in the line by his ability to be in the right place at the right time.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:

Add to the that commentary panel is already fairly loaded with a NSW perspective. Need to same some semblance of balance.
It's tough to sit through the lead up and the actual game. Sure there are some muppets on kayo but 9 is awful. I think I muted for the last 10 minutes of the game it was just unbearable and I definitely wasn't sitting through any post game, regardless of who won. I wish Roy and HG were still doing their thing.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

President Clinton wrote: June 9, 2022, 10:44 am Freddie showed his loyalty for the wrong players.

No idea how Sims was a starter. And Addo-Carr non-selection was a bad one.
Yeah I was confused by Freddies selections.

Tupou didn't do anything wrong, mind you. But JAC did not deserve to be dropped.

Hats off to QLD. They thoroughly outplayed NSW and deserved to win.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

benda wrote: June 9, 2022, 1:12 pm
The Nickman wrote: June 9, 2022, 10:18 am

And Jake Trobojevic another one. A man who is such a great culture fit and solid performer time and time again.

Exactly the reason i support QLD too. Its what they stand for.
Are you a nswmen or qlder?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I have often heard nsw commentators share where they think the game is going wrong for qld or compliment quality qld play / players.

I don’t mind qld commentators if they commentate on both sides of the game, but what is the point of going to Lockyer when qld are winning easy and Lockyer telling us that qld just need to be patient and kick to the corners. It does nothing for the broadcast..
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: June 9, 2022, 5:48 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

It's tough to sit through the lead up and the actual game. Sure there are some muppets on kayo but 9 is awful. I think I muted for the last 10 minutes of the game it was just unbearable and I definitely wasn't sitting through any post game, regardless of who won. I wish Roy and HG were still doing their thing.
Yeah Beh I don’t watch much post game stuff - especially if nsw lose - not much point…

I didn’t think anyone watched Gould seriously.. anyways.. if people are comparing Lockyer and Co to him then that’s my point - it’s no longer commentary and now just agenda pushing..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

papabear wrote: June 9, 2022, 9:21 pm

I have often heard nsw commentators share where they think the game is going wrong for qld or compliment quality qld play / players.

I don’t mind qld commentators if they commentate on both sides of the game, but what is the point of going to Lockyer when qld are winning easy and Lockyer telling us that qld just need to be patient and kick to the corners. It does nothing for the broadcast..
I understand. You watch from the perspective of a NSW supporter and don’t really see it from the perspective of the Maroons supporters. You want the former Queensland players on the commentary to tell us what NSW needs to do to beat Queensland, while the former NSW commentators are telling us what NSW needs to do to beat Queensland.

We’ve had years and years of Channel 9 stacking the commentary with NSW supporters and former players. Even when there was just one Queenslander on the broadcast, that wasn’t acceptable. There was unrelenting whinging and moaning from NSW. At one point, it was all NSW commentary.

It’s the old born to rule attitude from NSW. That’s one reason why Queensland is so passionate about beating NSW. And why NSW doesn’t understand Origin.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Oh here we go. GE is up on his SOO soapbox.
Shoving it in your face since 2017