2022 State of Origin I: Blues V Maroons

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2022 State of Origin I: Blues V Maroons

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Jack was NSW's best player. Teddy also good.

Liam Martin and Mr. Arrogant Crichton were a waste of space.

Munster best player on the field. Papa should be fresh on Saturday.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Munster was the difference. Gotta hand it to him.

Wighton probably best for NSW.

Matterson severely found wanting. NSW halves below their best.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Papa too slow for speed of original. Good for first 15-20 and that’s it. Raiders should throw 2mil a season at slater, he will be the next Bellamy.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

BJ wrote:Munster was the difference. Gotta hand it to him.

Lmao completely forgot matterson was even in the side, he was completely invisible

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

jimmy82 wrote:Papa too slow for speed of original. Good for first 15-20 and that’s it. Raiders should throw 2mil a season at slater, he will be the next Bellamy.
The Storm will sign him up

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Azza wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:23 pm
jimmy82 wrote:Papa too slow for speed of original. Good for first 15-20 and that’s it. Raiders should throw 2mil a season at slater, he will be the next Bellamy.
The Storm will sign him up

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Yes
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:Jack was NSW's best player. Teddy also good.

Liam Martin and Mr. Arrogant Crichton were a waste of space.

Munster best player on the field. Papa should be fresh on Saturday.
I thought Martin was ok. Sims offered nothing and the Panthers halves looked ordinary without Api - he is the form hooker of the comp.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Picked QLD 1-12 and Munster mom
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Raider Azz wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:22 pm

Lmao completely forgot matterson was even in the side, he was completely invisible

Imagine dropping a player made for Origin like J. Trbojevic for a downhill skier like Matterson. Never change NSW.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Wiki Special wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:26 pm
Raider Azz wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:22 pm

Imagine dropping a player made for Origin like J. Trbojevic for a downhill skier like Matterson. Never change NSW.
Will be interesting to see if Freddy sticks or wets the bed. Tupou didn’t off much Ado-Carr doesn’t have.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Looking forward to hearing from Fitler
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Full credit to QLD. So intense, eek every ounce of talent from all of their players which is credit to their coach. Their defensive speed and aggression was what won it for them. I fully expect for NSW to respond in Perth and then it will come down to a return match to decide the series in Brisbane with a wild home crowd. Classic series
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Freddie just summed it up well “QLD won the ruck… they held us down longer in the ruck, Ashley didn’t blow the penalties and we didn’t hold them down long enough.”
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

PRESS CONFERENCES will be live here soon: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/holde ... in-game-1/

The Blues had 51 per cent of possession and 54 per cent of the territory.

New South Wales made more running metres (1924-1846) and one more tackle break (35-34). Line breaks were level at 5-5.

The Maroons had to make slightly more tackles (379-376) but missed more (42-34). The Blues had the slightly better effective tackle rate (88-87 per cent).

And that is all we have tonight. Thanks for following.
Last edited by The Greenhouse on June 8, 2022, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

yeh raiders wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:35 pm Freddie just summed it up well “QLD won the ruck… they held us down longer in the ruck, Ashley didn’t blow the penalties and we didn’t hold them down long enough.”
Sounds a tad salty to me.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

NSW based on the past 40 years of history will respond to the loss with the decision to swap in Moses for Cleary, drop Haas for Nicho Hynes and re-call Bevan French from the UK for Tedesco.
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

Staggs was a poor inclusion and played exactly like he does at NRL level where he consistently offers nothing for long periods of games (and seasons) interspersed with only small bursts of brilliance.

QLD are smart enough not to select their version (Fifita) and decisions like that are part of what makes such a difference between the sides.

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

yeh raiders wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:35 pm Freddie just summed it up well “QLD won the ruck… they held us down longer in the ruck, Ashley didn’t blow the penalties and we didn’t hold them down long enough.”
Haha. Freddie is a fraud of a Coach who has just dropped his lip because he lost. Pure rubbish.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Scared Hitless wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:40 pm Staggs was a poor inclusion and played exactly like he does at NRL level where he consistently offers nothing for long periods of games (and seasons) interspersed with only small bursts of brilliance.

QLD are smart enough not to select their version (Fifita) and decisions like that are part of what makes such a difference between the sides.

Spot on.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Wiki Special wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:40 pm
Haha. Freddie is a fraud of a Coach who has just dropped his lip because he lost. Pure rubbish.
I agree he’s no good as a coach, but he’s spot on in that comment.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

yeh raiders wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:42 pm
I think both sides were officiated the same. We'll have to agree to disagree.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Junior Paulo …. years gone by, we have opted for guys like Angus Crichton to play as middle forwards because we recognise the fitness required to play origin footy.

So instead of just picking a decent mobile forward with a motor, who might actually make an impact, provide some energy and be an upgrade on Crichton, we go with the other option of picking a bloke who moves like a sea anchor and decides to offload at every opportunity, instead of tucking it under his wing and using his size.

And on the occasions where he was involved in attack and was tackled, he couldn’t even dominate the ruck and get a quick play of the ball. Then in defence, he was was repeatedly left behind by a quick play of the ball.

Rubbish selection from Freddie.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Wiki Special wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:43 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:42 pm
I think both sides were officiated the same. We'll have to agree to disagree.
I agree. I think they were officiated the same, just QLD handled the origin refereeing better than we did. Much better. Credit to them, credit to Slater.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wiki Special wrote:
Scared Hitless wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:40 pm Staggs was a poor inclusion and played exactly like he does at NRL level where he consistently offers nothing for long periods of games (and seasons) interspersed with only small bursts of brilliance.

Spot on.
Ahhh Fifita is injured. He would have been selected instead of Nanai. But I do agree on Staggs.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

What do you read into the lack of minutes for Papa. I’d say he has a decent motor and gives us good impact and go forward but am I wearing green googles on that? Has he slowed more than we might realise?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Billy Walker wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:59 pm What do you read into the lack of minutes for Papa. I’d say he has a decent motor and gives us good impact and go forward but am I wearing green googles on that? Has he slowed more than we might realise?
New coach, new opinion of him at that level? I'll put it down to that. He's having a great year in Green and has never ever let the Maroons down.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

yeh raiders wrote: June 8, 2022, 11:02 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 8, 2022, 10:59 pm What do you read into the lack of minutes for Papa. I’d say he has a decent motor and gives us good impact and go forward but am I wearing green googles on that? Has he slowed more than we might realise?
New coach, new opinion of him at that level? I'll put it down to that. He's having a great year in Green and has never ever let the Maroons down.
I expected he’d turn out a good 60mins.
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

gergreg wrote:
Wiki Special wrote:

Spot on.
Ahhh Fifita is injured. He would have been selected instead of Nanai. But I do agree on Staggs.
From most reports in the media, he was unlikely to be picked, regardless. While his injury is certainly more legitimate than Staggs' tonight, the fact that so many in the media (including QLD ex-players) were so vocal about his poor form and floating in and out of matches while the NSW media talked Staggs up as their danger man, is telling.

nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Parra's forwards cost us that game, dominated, absolutely woeful.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Congratulations to Qld. They played at a faster tempo than NSW. The NSW halves seemed constantly rushed in attack. In defence I thought NSW were looking for the 'next' play rather than focusing on the man with the ball. We saw it in many Munster breaks and the DCE try from the scrum base. Next up in Perth. I don't know that there will be too many changes to NSW, but I hope Freddy has another think about Jurbo. I would have him in for RCG.

I thought both Raiders, Papa and Jack had fine games. Jack and Teddy were probably best on ground for NSW.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

RedRaider wrote:Congratulations to Qld. They played at a faster tempo than NSW. The NSW halves seemed constantly rushed in attack. In defence I thought NSW were looking for the 'next' play rather than focusing on the man with the ball. We saw it in many Munster breaks and the DCE try from the scrum base. Next up in Perth. I don't know that there will be too many changes to NSW, but I hope Freddy has another think about Jurbo. I would have him in for RCG.

I thought both Raiders, Papa and Jack had fine games. Jack and Teddy were probably best on ground for NSW.
Don’t talk about DCE in the scrum base. That was absolutely rubbish and again should have been a penalty.

Raiders tried the same thing back in the Carney days and it got called back right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: June 9, 2022, 1:02 am
RedRaider wrote:Congratulations to Qld. They played at a faster tempo than NSW. The NSW halves seemed constantly rushed in attack. In defence I thought NSW were looking for the 'next' play rather than focusing on the man with the ball. We saw it in many Munster breaks and the DCE try from the scrum base. Next up in Perth. I don't know that there will be too many changes to NSW, but I hope Freddy has another think about Jurbo. I would have him in for RCG.

Don’t talk about DCE in the scrum base. That was absolutely rubbish and again should have been a penalty.

Raiders tried the same thing back in the Carney days and it got called back right away.

Those situations were in no way similar. Looked at by the bunker, cleared.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

One thing I can add. All Parra players are frauds and get way too much media attention. This leads to them getting selected into rep game undeservingly.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

greeneyed wrote:

I always think GE is a fair judge during Raiders season, and then makes QLD friendly claims which makes me doubt my own green glasses. Is this what we are like?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Butters wrote: June 9, 2022, 1:11 am
greeneyed wrote:

I always think GE is a fair judge during Raiders season, and then makes QLD friendly claims which makes me doubt my own green glasses. Is this what we are like?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Come on. In that situation, where the Raiders were penalised, they parted the middle of the scrum and the Raiders player ran through the middle of it. It was like Moses parted the sea. There is little approximation between that and Paulo being tangled in a scrum. As the NSW commentators said, that happens in every scrum. The bunker reviewed it. Cleared.