24%

Total votes: 17

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2022 Rd 13 V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: May 30, 2022, 8:45 pm So now that Savage made a decent break and scored a try do you still think Blocker Roach will comment every single game “geez I’m looking forward to seeing this kid in open space’
Yes. Because I think Blocker genuinely means it every time.

He also says that about literally every winger in the game (or after they are established, I just love seeing this guy in open space!).

I think he does it to encourage the little men and show he doesn't only care about front rower things (he secretly does).

And he's still the best commentator on fox.
He’s also suffering from severe brain damage and should genuinely get the help he requires
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

gergreg wrote: May 30, 2022, 10:06 am I don't understand the criticism that Savage is receiving? CNK is shot as a fullback. When he first played there he was arguably the safest fullback in the comp under the high ball - in his first season I think he made something like one error. More recently he looks like an error is going to happen more often than not. He looks scared of catching the ball. You can't have a fullback catching the ball on his knees or sometimes on his back. You just can't do it. The other issues of his game have been detailed regularly on this site but his lack of confidence under the high ball has been very very concerning for some time now..

The reason Ricky has been picking him ahead of Savage is he is a stubborn **** who is still pushing ahead with grindball. Two of our tries yesterday came from kicks and parramatta errors. As soon as those errors dried up we had absolutely nothing. We threw nothing at them. We need to change. I'm sick of watching 5 hit ups and then a bomb. We have some individuals that are keeping us close in contests against teams 5 through 10. Those same individuals flat track bully the garbage teams. We are so far off the pace with those top 4 teams and we will never get within sniffing distance of their jock straps with the way we play. We're not contending for anything until we change and Savage is a big part of the change that needs to happen.

I'm coming around to moving Wighton into 13 but it's more complicated than just shifting him. Like Bot has pointed out we need 2 better halfs before we shift him. Furthermore he is being paid too much to not play in the halves. A big criticism of Dave Furners time here was how much money we spent on 'non-spine' positions and we are tracking in that same direction with Ricky. Particularly when(if) we move on from Hodgson and G Williams and shifting Wighton.
I agree with a lot on this post. We must learn to score tries where we break the line ... pretty much every time we have the ball in the oppositions 20m we dont even look like scoring. Too predictable. Same players over and over again.

We have improved over the last 4 weeks and the only reason we were going toe to toe with parra for 60 odd minutes was because we turned up and played hard.

Thats not going to win us the comp.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I genuinely hope Savage gets an extended run in the top grade. I'd much prefer he came into grade on the wing, but that's not the cards we have been dealt.

I am aware I've been labelled as someone out to death ride the kid. I don't think that's the case. I want him to be good. I want him to help us win a comp. I don't expect him to be close to perfect, but I also don't think he's immune from criticism.

What I do know is that we need something more than David Milne or Reece Robinson at fullback. Speed is great, but it doesn't automatically make you elite. The kid has a job to do and maybe he will get a chance to prove himself while CNK is injured.

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

2022 Rd 13 NRL teams: Raiders V Roosters

Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters
Sunday 5 June, 4:05pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC

The Canberra Raiders have named their team for the round 13 match against the Sydney Roosters at GIO Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Trey Mooney will become Raider #385 after he was named on the interchange bench for the Raiders in jersey 17. Mooney has been in fantastic form for the Raiders NSW Cup side and will get an opportunity at NRL level in front of his home crowd at GIO Stadium on Sunday.

With Jack Wighton and Josh Papalii on Origin duty Matt Frawley will return to the side at five-eighth, while Corey Horsburgh will start for the Raiders in the front row.

Corey Harawira-Naera also returns to the Raiders top 17 on the interchange bench

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Matt Frawley
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Corey Horsburgh
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Corey Harawira-Naera
17. Trey Mooney

18. James Schiller
19. Harry Rushton
20. Adrian Trevilyan
21. Brad Schneider
22. Emre Guler

Injury/Suspension

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Hamstring (Rd 18-19)
Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Indefinite)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)

Sydney Roosters

1. Joseph Manu
2. Billy Smith
3. Paul Momirovski
4. Kevin Naiqama
5. Joseph Suaalii
6. Sam Walker
7. Luke Keary
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Drew Hutchison
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Angus Crichton
12. Sitili Tupouniua
13. Nat Butcher

14. Connor Watson
15. Fletcher Baker
16. Egan Butcher
17. Terrell May

18. Lachlan Lam
19 Daniel Suluka-Fifita
20. Adam Keighran
21. Tom Carr
22. Ben Marschke

Injury/Suspension

Victor Radley, Ankle (Rd 19)
Renouf Atoni, Knee (Indefinite)
Sam Verrills, Collarbone (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Adam Gee
Touch judges: Drew Oultram, Kasey Badger
Video referee: Chris Butler

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersRoosters
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2022 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
The Greenhouse score update service
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

So what is going to be the selection that has us shaking our heads in amazement?????
Perth Based Raiders Fan
badonkadonk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: CHICKA!

Post by badonkadonk »

Mooney to debut, great news. 👍
Sthsea22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Sthsea22 »

Happy to see CHN and Mooney in the team
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Elliott gets his one week grace period
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:I genuinely hope Savage gets an extended run in the top grade. I'd much prefer he came into grade on the wing, but that's not the cards we have been dealt.

I am aware I've been labelled as someone out to death ride the kid. I don't think that's the case. I want him to be good. I want him to help us win a comp. I don't expect him to be close to perfect, but I also don't think he's immune from criticism.

What I do know is that we need something more than David Milne or Reece Robinson at fullback. Speed is great, but it doesn't automatically make you elite. The kid has a job to do and maybe he will get a chance to prove himself while CNK is injured.
Just get off his back, Seiff! Jesus!!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I'm confused - the resident GH experts told us AE was going to be playing for Junee Thirds this weekend. Ricky must have selected him after having him sign a waiver that we get first shot at signing Adam and Millie's first born daughter around 2040.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Glad to see Mooney get his debut. If we play to our potential, we should be able to get a win here.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:I'm confused - the resident GH experts told us AE was going to be playing for Junee Thirds this weekend. Ricky must have selected him after having him sign a waiver that we get first shot at signing Adam and Millie's first born daughter around 2040.
Hahaha wait a second... did “everyone” say that too?

Andymachine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

How many minutes do we think Mooney will be given in his debut? 7? I'm going to guess 7 :roflmao

I wouldn't have minded seeing Hola get a go but I'm also happy to see CHN back and Mooney debut. It's a solid team but on paper you'd have to favour the Rorters here with a lot more star power despite the origin outs.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: May 31, 2022, 4:13 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:I'm confused - the resident GH experts told us AE was going to be playing for Junee Thirds this weekend. Ricky must have selected him after having him sign a waiver that we get first shot at signing Adam and Millie's first born daughter around 2040.
Hahaha wait a second... did “everyone” say that too?

Just the few, the proud on this occasion :lol:
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Andymachine wrote: May 31, 2022, 4:15 pm How many minutes do we think Mooney will be given in his debut? 7? I'm going to guess 7 :roflmao

I wouldn't have minded seeing Hola get a go but I'm also happy to see CHN back and Mooney debut. It's a solid team but on paper you'd have to favour the Rorters here with a lot more star power despite the origin outs.
Call me crazy but I think our forward pack stacks up against theirs on paper. They've got a better starting pack but our bench is probably better than theirs. And with Tedesco and Tupou out, our backline doesn't fall too short of theirs either imo.
Sthsea22
Terry Campese

Post by Sthsea22 »

We are good odds also
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Tedesco and Tupou out is literally 3 tries off the Roosters already
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

So Mooney plays out of position for 12 weeks in NSW Cup. Then has to come into NRL qnd most probably revert straight away?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:I genuinely hope Savage gets an extended run in the top grade. I'd much prefer he came into grade on the wing, but that's not the cards we have been dealt.

Just get off his back, Seiff! Jesus!!
Sorry, can't help being sad and pathetic really.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nice to see Trey Moonie get a call up. Pretty excited to see him play FG.

Schneider, Schiller, Trevilyan, Mooney, Woolford, Rushton all essentially making their debuts across 13 rounds, as well as Savage, Timoko and Valemei all getting extended runs. Pretty extraordinary really.

But yeah, forced hand and all that.

No CNK at fullback, Croker at centre or Wighton at 5/8. Surely we're a red hot chance here!

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ok. That's about as good a team as we have available.

I was half expecting Elliot to have a 1 way ticket to Siberia but it seems he's been spared- fair enough he's been playing decent. Ricky cuts off his nose to spite his face a bit too often.

CHN back in the mix and he should be a good bench player- fairly versatile, has some impact.

I probably would have started Sutton, as he's generally a good starter and Hors is a bit same same play style to Tarps- rangey, likes an offload, tries to stay upright in contact, reasonably mobile.

I hope Mooney gets some genuine time. I don't think we do ourselves any favours playing our forward _until_ they make the error and then dragging them, with someone twiddling their thumbs for 73 minutes. It's Rick's job to appreciate the job being done but have the foresight to drag them _before_ the fatigue error inevitably comes in the props 32nd minute.

Still a good Roosters team. If we win it will be a forwards blinder giving Fog and Frawley the time to do their bit. Otherwise I see the Roosters settled and superior spine getting them over pretty easily. Their halves have an awful lot more form under their belt than ours do.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Horsepower v JWH. Big test for Hors
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders name debutant Trey Mooney, with Matt Frawley to take Jack Wighton's spot for Roosters clash

The Raiders will blood another debutant, Trey Mooney, in round 13 of the NRL when Canberra host the Sydney Roosters on Sunday afternoon.

"It shows how healthy our depth is," Raiders coach Ricky Stuart said. "I spoke to Harry Rushton and said I'm giving Trey his opportunity, he's by no means relegated, I need these guys to get first-grade experience, and Harry was great and totally understood.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

HoraceBigCigar
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

The Nickman wrote: May 30, 2022, 6:04 am
RedRaider wrote:I am hoping it will be Rushton in for Papa with Sutton to start. I think Frawley will replace Jack as both a left side players who are left foot kickers. The rest of the side would stay the same, pending injury, for mine.
That’s exactly the team I’d go... Rushton in for Papalii, Sutton to start and Frawley playing instead of Wighton if Wighton is actually missing (I haven’t seen the Origin teams yet).

Frawley has looked good the limited opportunities he’s got on the left this year, definitely worth another shot.

Starling is a worrying one, his impact off the bench seems to have vanished, I’m wondering if it’s a confidence thing now that young Woolford is obviously favoured for the 9 role for a longer period of the match.
Initially I was a fan (of using Starling off the bench) but in the last few games it’s become pretty clear that unless he can cover other positions it’s a waste of a bench space we can ill afford. OK so Stick seems to pride himself on not using the full bench but I guess you get the point…
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Frawley is the right choice to take Wighton’s spot for a week, he’s looked good the two times he’s played on the left this season.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Congrats to Trey Mooney for his FG debut on the bench. Look forward to seeing him play on Sunday. Look forward to seeing more of Savage, Kris and Fogarty as well. Savage was up against one of the best kickers in Moses so can be confident going into this match not dropping any bombs. Sam Walker and Keary will test him though.

Kris has played well at centre this year nd has looked faster and more secure in defence. I like how he attacks kicks and we are actually scoring from bombs again.

Fogarty didn't have a good game in attack and defence v Parra but he's a better player than that. He's played well v Roosters in the past when with Gold Coast and I look forward to him getting the right hand side of the attack going and working a good combination with Whitehead , Timoko and Rapa.
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

Happy to see Trey get his debut. I saw him out and about on the weekend and he's got a bit of 'Alpha' about him... even though he's a Sunglasses at night type of operator.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Hope Mooney gets more opportunities than Rushton in his few appearances to date.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

HoraceBigCigar wrote: June 1, 2022, 3:42 am
The Nickman wrote: May 30, 2022, 6:04 am
RedRaider wrote:I am hoping it will be Rushton in for Papa with Sutton to start. I think Frawley will replace Jack as both a left side players who are left foot kickers. The rest of the side would stay the same, pending injury, for mine.
That’s exactly the team I’d go... Rushton in for Papalii, Sutton to start and Frawley playing instead of Wighton if Wighton is actually missing (I haven’t seen the Origin teams yet).

Frawley has looked good the limited opportunities he’s got on the left this year, definitely worth another shot.

Starling is a worrying one, his impact off the bench seems to have vanished, I’m wondering if it’s a confidence thing now that young Woolford is obviously favoured for the 9 role for a longer period of the match.
Initially I was a fan (of using Starling off the bench) but in the last few games it’s become pretty clear that unless he can cover other positions it’s a waste of a bench space we can ill afford. OK so Stick seems to pride himself on not using the full bench but I guess you get the point…
It's looking like we need to go get a 9. Happy for woolford getting to debut but hard to believe he turns into a top shelf hooker. Starling looks like he needs the players around him to play well so he looks good which doesn't work and if trevilyan isn't starting and playing well by the end of the year I would be getting a 9 and at least 1 or 2 of the 3 released.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Starling needs to focus an entire offseason on hitting his runners on the chest *before* they cross the advantage line.

We all know he's capable of throwing 3 or 4 blatant forward passes a game. He's lucky he doesn't get picked up for most of them. This is a technique issue.

He's also prone to throwing passes behind the player or at their feet, or between two players.

I don't care how spectacular his intermittent running game is. If he can't hit an international front rower with a decent pass, he doesn't belong in first grade.

But perhaps I'm just death riding him.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 1, 2022, 1:46 pm Starling needs to focus an entire offseason on hitting his runners on the chest *before* they cross the advantage line.

We all know he's capable of throwing 3 or 4 blatant forward passes a game. He's lucky he doesn't get picked up for most of them. This is a technique issue.

He's also prone to throwing passes behind the player or at their feet, or between two players.

I don't care how spectacular his intermittent running game is. If he can't hit an international front rower with a decent pass, he doesn't belong in first grade.

Sad AND pathetic.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Seiffert82 wrote:Starling needs to focus an entire offseason on hitting his runners on the chest *before* they cross the advantage line.

Agree with this 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 1, 2022, 1:46 pm Starling needs to focus an entire offseason on hitting his runners on the chest *before* they cross the advantage line.

He was lucky he wasn't pinged late in the game v Parra. More of the pass to Young v Souths close to the line please
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Anyone else feel more confident of a win with wighton out
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

radicalraider wrote:Anyone else feel more confident of a win with wighton out