Ruben Wiki
1%

Total votes: 466

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: SURVIVOR POLL: Top ten greatest ever Raiders

Post by Northern Raider »

Rickmando wrote: May 24, 2022, 12:37 pm And Papalii is the only player of the past decade or so I’d even entertain in a conversation for those half dozen spots (and therefore top 10 all time).

The only modern post-2000 players I haven’t voted off the island are Paps and Rapana. The others aren’t even close in terms of talent and impact.
I'd agree with that. Could even go back further than last decade. It's likely to be dominated by our premiership period players.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: May 24, 2022, 2:29 pm
Rickmando wrote: May 24, 2022, 12:37 pm And Papalii is the only player of the past decade or so I’d even entertain in a conversation for those half dozen spots (and therefore top 10 all time).

The only modern post-2000 players I haven’t voted off the island are Paps and Rapana. The others aren’t even close in terms of talent and impact.
I'd agree with that. Could even go back further than last decade. It's likely to be dominated by our premiership period players.
Absolutely
Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Joshjacksonshead »

Rickmando wrote: May 23, 2022, 5:54 pm
BadnMean wrote: May 23, 2022, 5:26 pm
Rickmando wrote: May 23, 2022, 5:17 pm Surprised to see Adam Elliott miss out on a nomination tbh
Just another example of the relentless bullying Big Ears Elliot cops on here.
Waiting for him to go meta and talk about the Greenhouse in his next presser. Maybe a big reveal that he’s actually posting as joshjacksonshead?

I think a weekly segment of Sun Tzu quotes from everyone’s favourite first grader would rival anything previously seen on the GH in a recurring capacity. And I mean no disrespect to haikus, Matt’s Matchups, and WTFITFC et al
Hi friends it’s your new favourite poster , like summoning the demon I have arrived!

Now again, I am not Adam , and never will be - how many times now I must repeat myself ? Refrain !

Now , back on topic please , you guys have to know Adam won’t make Surviver Island this year , I can’t even believe his name is being thrown around , absolutely no chance you , my friends are delusional!

However , Surviver Island 2037 and we are going to have ourselves a NEW KING :!:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Joshjacksonshead wrote: May 24, 2022, 8:52 pm
Rickmando wrote: May 23, 2022, 5:54 pm
BadnMean wrote: May 23, 2022, 5:26 pm
Rickmando wrote: May 23, 2022, 5:17 pm Surprised to see Adam Elliott miss out on a nomination tbh
Just another example of the relentless bullying Big Ears Elliot cops on here.
Waiting for him to go meta and talk about the Greenhouse in his next presser. Maybe a big reveal that he’s actually posting as joshjacksonshead?

I think a weekly segment of Sun Tzu quotes from everyone’s favourite first grader would rival anything previously seen on the GH in a recurring capacity. And I mean no disrespect to haikus, Matt’s Matchups, and WTFITFC et al
Hi friends it’s your new favourite poster , like summoning the demon I have arrived!

Now again, I am not Adam , and never will be - how many times now I must repeat myself ? Refrain !

Now , back on topic please , you guys have to know Adam won’t make Surviver Island this year , I can’t even believe his name is being thrown around , absolutely no chance you , my friends are delusional!

However , Surviver Island 2037 and we are going to have ourselves a NEW KING :!:
:roflmao Where is the subscribe button - I like what you’re selling!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

If it was a club run initiative he'd be in the top 10 all time Raiders.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Agreed 100%.

Papalii and Rapana are probably our best two this millennium.

All due respect to Shif and Jarrod.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

dubby wrote: May 25, 2022, 10:53 am

Agreed 100%.

I would include Wighton in the honourable mentions of the "modern" era Raiders. Origin and Australian rep. Dally M and Clive Churchill Medal winner. Heading off topic though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: May 25, 2022, 11:31 am

Agreed 100%.

I would include Wighton in the honourable mentions of the "modern" era Raiders. Origin and Australian rep. Dally M and Clive Churchill Medal winner. Heading off topic though.
I would have gone Jack ahead of Raps in this post 2000 discussion. Again though it comes back to what people value. Passion, longevity, commitment, courage, greenbleedability and I can see why Rapana is high on the list. Like for like skill as a winger I think we have had quite a few others with much greater pace and skills but admittedly they didn’t back it up year on year for as long as Raps has.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Northern Raider wrote: May 25, 2022, 11:31 am

Agreed 100%.

Definitely.

twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

I feel like recency bias can go both ways. If we're talking current players that warrant a mention, Hodgo is behind only Papa and on a par with Wighton IMO. I think following his injury-riddled last couple of seasons it's easy to forget how good he was and just how much he changed the club. For me he was at least as good as Rapa, but in a far more important position. Certainly in my top ten most influential Raiders of all time.

Having said all that, I think Papa is the only current player who will force his way into the top 10 best players - and fair enough too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: SURVIVOR POLL I: Top ten greatest ever Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

The first poll is declared. The following 10 players have been voted off the island:

David Shillington
Gary Coyne
Alan Tongue
Sam Backo
Terry Campese
John Lomax
Peter Jackson
Quentin Pongia
Clinton Schifcofske
Chris O'Sullivan

Some harsh calls, and some lucky survivors.

In the next poll, we will vote a further five players off the island.