Sharks 13+
40%

Total votes: 10

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 Rd 10 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: May 16, 2022, 6:06 am
gangrenous wrote: May 15, 2022, 9:53 pm You’re wrong. Go watch it again. He did play dead while Moylan got him. He doesn’t take a step forward. He was entitled to get to his feet and play the ball.
You’d be correct, if it weren’t for the fact he got up to promote the ball…he didn’t even try to play the ball.
Hence why the ref (correctly) called it as ‘play on’.
He should have just played dead and slowly got back up to his feet to play the ball….I don’t know why your dying on a hill over this. It wasn’t even a close call.
The correct call from the referee would have then been to tell him to go back and play the ball on the mark. It doesn’t matter how CNK reacted. The tackle was effected as soon as a hand was placed on him, as he was on the ground, with ball/arm carrying the ball on the ground.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I think the call on CNK was 50/50. If the same level of contact happened in an attacking situation there is no way that would have been called held and he would have been free to promote the ball but in defence the general interpretation is that as soon as you touch a grounded player they are held and you can’t pick them up and drag them out.

Given the ref had ruled that he wasn’t held it was a dumb challenge because the video ref is unlikely to overturn that on field call.

CNK should have stayed down and waited to ensure he got to play the ball and wasn’t taken out or dead.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 16, 2022, 7:41 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 16, 2022, 6:58 am I don’t know what footage your watching.
Clearly it’s tainted green.
He clearly makes a second play when Moylan’s hands are off him and is rightfully bundled into touch.
If he went the length of the field and scored a try you’d be asking for it to stand.
The guy had a solid game but it was an idiotic play that thankfully we didn’t pay the price for.
There is no ‘ref conspiracy’…
Please don’t believe everything our coach spews out…thought you were smarter than that.
- Agree there is no ref conspiracy against us - there are poor calls every which way most weekends. Only real conspiracy is the pro-Storm bias and referees changing how they rule based on the scoreboard.
- There was a hand on Cnk while his ball carrying hand was touching the ground. If this was down the other end of the field it would have been a double movement.
- If Cnk got up and ran after being deemed tackled he would be sent back to the mark to play it.

Ricky seemed mad about the sin bins. My thoughts on those:
- Cnk one was harsh based only on what we see players get away with every week. I love to see cynical play get binned, but it needs to be consistent.
- Horsburgh should have got 20 minutes in the bin and a one-way ticket to the Bulldogs for that play. Incredibly dumb given the state of the match.
- Whitehead was unlucky, but also lucky not to be sent. I wouldn't have complained if he was.

So not quite sure why Ricky seemed to be seething. I can't argue any of those calls weren't correct.
The CNK sin bin was trigger happy. Ricky might have missed the shoulder contact from Whitehead. Looking live, and even on replay on the big screen, it looked OK… just a head clash. Horsburgh a clear sin bin. But Ricky might also have rightly been unhappy about the CNK effective tackle non call, the Wade Graham slap at the ball and knock on, which was called a Raiders knock on, and another clear knock on in a ruck from the Sharks. It was a pretty poor performance from the referee.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

pickles wrote: May 16, 2022, 8:02 am I think the call on CNK was 50/50. If the same level of contact happened in an attacking situation there is no way that would have been called held and he would have been free to promote the ball but in defence the general interpretation is that as soon as you touch a grounded player they are held and you can’t pick them up and drag them out.

Given the ref had ruled that he wasn’t held it was a dumb challenge because the video ref is unlikely to overturn that on field call.

CNK should have stayed down and waited to ensure he got to play the ball and wasn’t taken out or dead.
Exactly.
Once the ref made his call (not held) it was over.
Whether we liked the decision is irrelevant.
Video ref had nothing to look at.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Was a very enjoyable game to watch as a fun and the first time this season we have played the full 80 minutes. The success was based on the first five minutes of the game where defended multiple attacking sets very effectively and then were able to go down the other end and score.

There was a clear tactic to kick into the sun and it worked. I’ve been critical of our footy IQ so far this season but credit where it’s due, that was smart play and it produced points. Frawley put a few very places like up but missed the mark on a few others.

In defence our first contact was good for the whole game and every player seemed to be in position and throwing themselves into tackles. If we can continue to produce defensive efforts like that we will continue to win games.

The challenge now is to turn up and do that again against the bunnies next weekend.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Wade Graham slap call was the worst.
Everything else was correctly called IMO.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Based on the match highlights

The CNK sin bin was tough but we’ll see that get sin bin every time. Once the sharks player lost the ball in the ruck the ref can either call it a lost football or a penalty
And if it’s a penalty it’s certainly a professional foul in that circumstance. Tough 50-50 call to go against us

The Hors one was clear cut

The whitehead one was terribly unlucky and I hate that a player can ultimately do nothing wrong and have a player ricocheted into their shoulder and sin binned but that’s the game today under V’Landys. I don’t like it but it is what it is

I’m told there were a bunch of other **** calls in the game too so I’ll be eager to watch it, but I don’t think I had a lot of issues with the sin bins myself.

CNk’s was the most contentious imo but the single look on the highlights didn’t give much to go off
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

greeneyed wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 16, 2022, 7:41 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 16, 2022, 6:58 am I don’t know what footage your watching.
He clearly makes a second play when Moylan’s hands are off him and is rightfully bundled into touch.
If he went the length of the field and scored a try you’d be asking for it to stand.
The guy had a solid game but it was an idiotic play that thankfully we didn’t pay the price for.
Please don’t believe everything our coach spews out…thought you were smarter than that.
- Agree there is no ref conspiracy against us - there are poor calls every which way most weekends. Only real conspiracy is the pro-Storm bias and referees changing how they rule based on the scoreboard.
- There was a hand on Cnk while his ball carrying hand was touching the ground. If this was down the other end of the field it would have been a double movement.
- If Cnk got up and ran after being deemed tackled he would be sent back to the mark to play it.

Ricky seemed mad about the sin bins. My thoughts on those:
- Cnk one was harsh based only on what we see players get away with every week. I love to see cynical play get binned, but it needs to be consistent.
- Horsburgh should have got 20 minutes in the bin and a one-way ticket to the Bulldogs for that play. Incredibly dumb given the state of the match.
- Whitehead was unlucky, but also lucky not to be sent. I wouldn't have complained if he was.

So not quite sure why Ricky seemed to be seething. I can't argue any of those calls weren't correct.
The CNK sin bin was trigger happy. Ricky might have missed the shoulder contact from Whitehead. Looking live, and even on replay on the big screen, it looked OK… just a head clash. Horsburgh a clear sin bin. But Ricky might also have rightly been unhappy about the CNK effective tackle non call, the Wade Graham slap at the ball and knock on, which was called a Raiders knock on, and another clear knock on in a ruck from the Sharks. It was a pretty poor performance from the referee.
I think CNK was unlucky. He seemed to be trying to get out of the way and it just looked clumsy. It could have gone either way.

Whitehead I as consistent with what I saw in games last weekend. No intent but clear contact in the head with his shoulder and in the sharks game last week it was 10 in the bin too.

To be competitive you need to be able to overcome adversity. In other games this season when things have got hard we have dropped our bundle. Yesterday when things got hard we dug in and worked harder and we need to foster that mentality and it being it into every game.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

GreenMachine wrote:I don’t know what footage your watching.
So your answers are that you’ve got no response. “He clearly makes a second play” but you can’t say that he moves forward or what motion he makes that he isn’t entitled to in getting up to play the ball? Ok then.

No one is arguing ref conspiracy - straw man

I’ve got no idea what Ricky said on this one. I haven’t watched the press conference.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

A great win.

* I thought Schneider was great. In the last few years, we have had halves who are good for a cheap opposition try or two a game (Austin, Sam Williams) - it’s good to see a young half hold his own without the ball. I thought his support play on his try was excellent too, he would have been incredibly fatigued by that stage of the game and he put in the effort to get there. Great stuff. He (obviously) still needs to work on some things in his game, but there are good signs. Frawley was good too, it was a clear plan to kick to the left so Talikai wouldn’t be able to get into the game with a second or third tackle hit up, and Frawley executed well. Given Jack needs to play on the left, I think Schneider will stay in the team. If so, Wighton needs to bring his kicking boots - since so much footy is now played from a kick reception, long kicking is more important than ever.
* CNK is starting to get back into form. He needs to focus on what he is good at, and build on it slowly - don’t worry too much about ball playing for now, focus on safety under high ball, yardage and defence. Our back 3 were slow to get into the season, but they are all looking to do the dirty work now, and it makes a huge difference. Cotric has turned it around - not sure if it was related to Fittler’s comments in the press a couple of weeks back, but since then he seems to have gained confidence. Our two centres had good games too - particularly happy for Seb Kris, he had a good game.
* We are still making some wrong plays at in opportune times. While I agree that CNK tackle was completed, getting up to go again was silly. Rapana had a few dumb plays in a row, he needs to learn to take the tackle and forget the pass out of our own end - in today’s game, a quick play the ball with a retreating defensive line is worth a lot - no need to risk an extra pass.
* Tapine has now become the player we always thought he would be. An absolute gun, consistently a top performer every week.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I’m never one to bag the refs, but they had a stinker yesterday. Haven’t seen any replays, but watching it live:

- only Horse should’ve been sin binned, the rest were garbage calls
- a sharks player knocked the ball out a raiders hand it was their ball?
- CNK was held. He shouldn’t have got up and tried to run again (and that’s what he did gangy, but never change old friend), however he was definitely held. If it were at the other end and he dives over the line it’s 100% a double movement

Having said all that, just goes to show you can dig in and win even with bad calls. That’s why constant ref blaming (which is usually well of the mark) just shouldn’t be part of anybody’s MO
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I was stoked with the win.

But it really does underline how bad some early season obvious decisions were. Kris a very good centre and he was forced to play wing while the Valemei experiment meandered on. Timoko finally on the correct side too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:I was stoked with the win.

But it really does underline how bad some early season obvious decisions were. Kris a very good centre and he was forced to play wing while the Valemei experiment meandered on. Timoko finally on the correct side too.
It just really shows what a change in attitude can do too, they really dug in for absolutely everything

Saying all that though, I was saying before the game the only way we’d win is if the sharks were awful and they 100% lived up to that

But not taking anything away from the boys, they still needed to play tough and hard to get the W

Let’s hope we can back it up with Wighton back
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Whiteheads was the only incorrect sin bin imo. The other 2 absolutely clear cut.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Nickman wrote: May 16, 2022, 9:02 am

It just really shows what a change in attitude can do too, they really dug in for absolutely everything

Saying all that though, I was saying before the game the only way we’d win is if the sharks were awful and they 100% lived up to that

But not taking anything away from the boys, they still needed to play tough and hard to get the W

I reckon shifting Hynes to fullback was the first real cock up by Craig Fitzgibbon. Hynes has out and out proved me wrong as I didn't think he had it in him to be the chief playmaker. But he's been great and the absolute head of their success.

So shifting him away from the primary role, no matter how goof Trindall is, was in hindsight a horrible move. Too many cooks and their attacking structure disappeared.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:
The Nickman wrote: May 16, 2022, 9:02 am

I reckon shifting Hynes to fullback was the first real cock up by Craig Fitzgibbon. Hynes has out and out proved me wrong as I didn't think he had it in him to be the chief playmaker. But he's been great and the absolute head of their success.

So shifting him away from the primary role, no matter how goof Trindall is, was in hindsight a horrible move. Too many cooks and their attacking structure disappeared.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Moving one of the form halves of the comp to stop gap the fullback role for a week or two seemed puzzling to me too

I know he’s played there for the Storm, but you don’t weaken your halves to fill another position

We’d never do it with Wighton
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

julian87 wrote:Whiteheads was the only incorrect sin bin imo. The other 2 absolutely clear cut.
They’ve been pretty consistent this year with direct contact to the head. There wasn’t anything he could have done to avoid it but that’s still what happened and there doesn’t need to be any intent.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

gangrenous wrote: May 16, 2022, 8:27 am
GreenMachine wrote:I don’t know what footage your watching.
So your answers are that you’ve got no response. “He clearly makes a second play” but you can’t say that he moves forward or what motion he makes that he isn’t entitled to in getting up to play the ball? Ok then.

No one is arguing ref conspiracy - straw man

I’ve got no idea what Ricky said on this one. I haven’t watched the press conference.
Giving me a shopping list of questions to answer for you is a waste of my time....try that cheap trick on a second year Law student or something....
I've given you the explanation (which is supported by the ref and video ref).
So take your bait and fish in another pond.
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

Who **** cares about the sin bins! we won and rubbed it in their faces. That was the most defensive determination we've had in a game since 2019/20 by far. Considering the players we had missing, that's the sort of **** that makes you proud being a fan.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

pickles wrote: May 16, 2022, 8:07 am There was a clear tactic to kick into the sun and it worked. I’ve been critical of our footy IQ so far this season but credit where it’s due, that was smart play and it produced points.
Careful giving them too much credit for that. They asked about it in the press conference as to whether kicking into the sun was a tactic. EW basically said no, they were just trying to keep it away from Mulitalo and Talakai. Maybe they’re not as smart as it appeared
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Can someone explain the penalty against us while in possession ?

I had beer goggles on but it was 2nd half and it all looked ok to me.

Standard play the ball and I think Roy threw a shocker to Whitehead who caught it and ref blew the whistle.

I don’t recall a replay either, what happened there ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Whitehead was offside when the ball was played.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: May 16, 2022, 10:08 am Can someone explain the penalty against us while in possession ?

I had beer goggles on but it was 2nd half and it all looked ok to me.

Standard play the ball and I think Roy threw a shocker to Whitehead who caught it and ref blew the whistle.

I don’t recall a replay either, what happened there ?
He was in front of the play the ball and didn't retreat behind the point of the play the ball before getting involved. Whitehead is often standing stranded like that as he's gassed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: May 16, 2022, 9:52 am
pickles wrote: May 16, 2022, 8:07 am There was a clear tactic to kick into the sun and it worked. I’ve been critical of our footy IQ so far this season but credit where it’s due, that was smart play and it produced points.
Careful giving them too much credit for that. They asked about it in the press conference as to whether kicking into the sun was a tactic. EW basically said no, they were just trying to keep it away from Mulitalo and Talakai. Maybe they’re not as smart as it appeared
That was my take too. The Raiders wouldn't have known until the toss whether that edge would be looking into the sun. Whitehead said they'd been preparing to kick to that edge all week.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Where's our old make Billy Dubya? Seems he's missing in action :hi
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Thomas Raider wrote:Where's our old make Billy Dubya? Seems he's missing in action :hi
Give the poor guy a break, m8

He’ll be furious right now
Bennyboy2283
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

The obstruction on CNK for sharks first try is the one that’s got me all fired up, I thought the bunker had to look at everything
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

greeneyed wrote:
That was my take too. The Raiders wouldn't have known until the toss whether that edge would be looking into the sun. Whitehead said they'd been preparing to kick to that edge all week.
Having now watched the press conference in have to agree, it clearly worked well. I guess planning for sunshine at the moment would be fairly optimistic! Was still the right strategy to kick to that wing though and delivered us a few tries.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

pickles wrote: May 16, 2022, 11:02 am
greeneyed wrote:
Having now watched the press conference in have to agree, it clearly worked well. I guess planning for sunshine at the moment would be fairly optimistic! Was still the right strategy to kick to that wing though and delivered us a few tries.
Where did you watch the pressa pickles ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Regarding the sin bins, the Whitehead one was a joke. He actually had his arm around Starling when Finucane launched himself into the tackle. If that warrants a sin bin for foul play I'll eat my hat. Whitehead shouldn't have to alter his position to make a front on tackle in that situation. There was nothing illegal or unsafe in the tackle. Whitehead was set. The fact Finucane ran head first into the defenders shoulder is bad luck.

The CNK one was also ridiculous. It was worth a penalty for sure, but that one-on-one tackle happens many times during a game. He's entitled to get to marker after making that tackle. He actually got off him much quicker than most defenders do in that situation. It pisses me off that calls like this are made so inconsistently during the season.

What makes it worse is that the Sharks were consistently CLEARLY offside at tackle 1 and 2 throughout the game. Our boys were tackled many times barely a metre away from the previous play the ball on early tackles. Yet we were the ones smashed in the penalty count.

It was farcical.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

-PJ- wrote: May 16, 2022, 11:13 am
greeneyed wrote:
They put them up in the "watch" section of NRL.com fairly quick
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
On the fox sports site they always put them up and I don’t have to remember to login to the NRL site.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Bennyboy2283 wrote:The obstruction on CNK for sharks first try is the one that’s got me all fired up, I thought the bunker had to look at everything
This was a clear obstruction, should have been penalty raiders. Runner goes through and takes CNK out running on the outside shoulder. Not sure how they missed it really.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Seiffert82 wrote:Regarding the sin bins, the Whitehead one was a joke. He actually had his arm around Starling when Finucane launched himself into the tackle. If that warrants a sin bin for foul play I'll eat my hat. Whitehead shouldn't have to alter his position to make a front on tackle in that situation. There was nothing illegal or unsafe in the tackle. Whitehead was set. The fact Finucane ran head first into the defenders shoulder is bad luck.

The CNK one was also ridiculous. It was worth a penalty for sure, but that one-on-one tackle happens many times during a game. He's entitled to get to marker after making that tackle. He actually got off him much quicker than most defenders do in that situation. It pisses me off that calls like this are made so inconsistently during the season.

What makes it worse is that the Sharks were consistently CLEARLY offside at tackle 1 and 2 throughout the game. Our boys were tackled many times barely a metre away from the previous play the ball on early tackles. Yet we were the ones smashed in the penalty count.

It was farcical.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
With the Whitehead one all they have looked at is the contact with his shoulder directly to his head and nothing else. If they are consistent with it across the season I can live with it but there definitely wasn’t anything he could have done differently.

With CNK if the sharks player doesn’t drop the ball it probably isn’t even a penalty but once play breaks down that has to be a penalty and I can see the argument for a professional foul.

We got away with a couple as well including Graham being hit off the ball by Rapana. Not saying it evened it up but it definitely wasn’t all me way.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

pickles wrote:
Bennyboy2283 wrote:The obstruction on CNK for sharks first try is the one that’s got me all fired up, I thought the bunker had to look at everything
This was a clear obstruction, should have been penalty raiders. Runner goes through and takes CNK out running on the outside shoulder. Not sure how they missed it really.
had zero bearing on the try, the contact on cnk was quite late and the ball was long gone, I was hoping it would get pulled up but if they are consistent with it that was a good call.
I was a bit dirty that last week eels almost scored from a player in front of the play the ball and this week we get penalised

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer