No votes
Sharks 13+
40%

Total votes: 10

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Re: 2022 Rd 10 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by pickles »

Rewatching the game and one of the reasons our edge defence was so effective was because our middle worked incredibly hard n pushing wide. The number of times our props were making tackles within 15 metres of the sideline made it very easy for our edges to mark up and make their tackles.

There were some great one on one tackles from both Frawley and Schneider on the line as well that stopped tries.

The defensive effort especially given the players in the bin was sensational and we now have a blueprint for what we need to do in every match.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

bonehead wrote:
pickles wrote:
Bennyboy2283 wrote:The obstruction on CNK for sharks first try is the one that’s got me all fired up, I thought the bunker had to look at everything
This was a clear obstruction, should have been penalty raiders. Runner goes through and takes CNK out running on the outside shoulder. Not sure how they missed it really.
had zero bearing on the try, the contact on cnk was quite late and the ball was long gone, I was hoping it would get pulled up but if they are consistent with it that was a good call.
I was a bit dirty that last week eels almost scored from a player in front of the play the ball and this week we get penalised

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
It doesn’t matter whether he would have got there or not and hasn’t for years. You see those given as penalties every single week.

CNK was coming across fast and it might have let Savage stay wider. Probably wouldn’t have mattered but you can’t take defenders out.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote:Rewatching the game and one of the reasons our edge defence was so effective was because our middle worked incredibly hard n pushing wide. The number of times our props were making tackles within 15 metres of the sideline made it very easy for our edges to mark up and make their tackles.

There were some great one on one tackles from both Frawley and Schneider on the line as well that stopped tries.

The defensive effort especially given the players in the bin was sensational and we now have a blueprint for what we need to do in every match.
Narrator: and we never did it again
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

pickles wrote: May 16, 2022, 12:04 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:Regarding the sin bins, the Whitehead one was a joke. He actually had his arm around Starling when Finucane launched himself into the tackle. If that warrants a sin bin for foul play I'll eat my hat. Whitehead shouldn't have to alter his position to make a front on tackle in that situation. There was nothing illegal or unsafe in the tackle. Whitehead was set. The fact Finucane ran head first into the defenders shoulder is bad luck.

The CNK one was also ridiculous. It was worth a penalty for sure, but that one-on-one tackle happens many times during a game. He's entitled to get to marker after making that tackle. He actually got off him much quicker than most defenders do in that situation. It pisses me off that calls like this are made so inconsistently during the season.

What makes it worse is that the Sharks were consistently CLEARLY offside at tackle 1 and 2 throughout the game. Our boys were tackled many times barely a metre away from the previous play the ball on early tackles. Yet we were the ones smashed in the penalty count.

It was farcical.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
With the Whitehead one all they have looked at is the contact with his shoulder directly to his head and nothing else. If they are consistent with it across the season I can live with it but there definitely wasn’t anything he could have done differently.

With CNK if the sharks player doesn’t drop the ball it probably isn’t even a penalty but once play breaks down that has to be a penalty and I can see the argument for a professional foul.

We got away with a couple as well including Graham being hit off the ball by Rapana. Not saying it evened it up but it definitely wasn’t all me way.
They didn't give us a good angle on the Rapa and Graham one. My thinking is Rapa can't disappear and it was more Graham running into him than the other way around, he can brace for contact. He did put a little extra mustard on it though. We didn't get a good angle.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on May 16, 2022, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Nickman wrote:
pickles wrote:Rewatching the game and one of the reasons our edge defence was so effective was because our middle worked incredibly hard n pushing wide. The number of times our props were making tackles within 15 metres of the sideline made it very easy for our edges to mark up and make their tackles.

ImageImageImage
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

pickles wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Regarding the sin bins, the Whitehead one was a joke. He actually had his arm around Starling when Finucane launched himself into the tackle. If that warrants a sin bin for foul play I'll eat my hat. Whitehead shouldn't have to alter his position to make a front on tackle in that situation. There was nothing illegal or unsafe in the tackle. Whitehead was set. The fact Finucane ran head first into the defenders shoulder is bad luck.

The CNK one was also ridiculous. It was worth a penalty for sure, but that one-on-one tackle happens many times during a game. He's entitled to get to marker after making that tackle. He actually got off him much quicker than most defenders do in that situation. It pisses me off that calls like this are made so inconsistently during the season.

What makes it worse is that the Sharks were consistently CLEARLY offside at tackle 1 and 2 throughout the game. Our boys were tackled many times barely a metre away from the previous play the ball on early tackles. Yet we were the ones smashed in the penalty count.

It was farcical.

With the Whitehead one all they have looked at is the contact with his shoulder directly to his head and nothing else. If they are consistent with it across the season I can live with it but there definitely wasn’t anything he could have done differently.

With CNK if the sharks player doesn’t drop the ball it probably isn’t even a penalty but once play breaks down that has to be a penalty and I can see the argument for a professional foul.

We got away with a couple as well including Graham being hit off the ball by Rapana. Not saying it evened it up but it definitely wasn’t all me way.
Yep, that all makes sense pickles, however it never ceases to amaze me how inconsistently the sin bin is applied. Same as the 6 again calls.

It really detracts from the game. More often than not a player who gets binned and put on report is exonerated by the MRC.

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Seiffert82 wrote:
pickles wrote:

It was farcical.

Yep, that all makes sense pickles, however it never ceases to amaze me how inconsistently the sin bin is applied. Same as the 6 again calls.

It really detracts from the game. More often than not a player who gets binned and put on report is exonerated by the MRC.

Yeah, consistency is the big thing and the NRL has never managed it that well that I can recall. No doubt we will see plenty of similar situations to whitehead where it’s just a penalty, same for CNK.

Normally sin bins are for professional fouls and I can’t remember anyone being suspended for one of those. Both the sharks players who spent time on the sidelines last week copped suspensions from memory but I doubt Whitehead will cop anything.. maybe a fine at the most.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

pickles wrote: May 16, 2022, 9:28 am
julian87 wrote:Whiteheads was the only incorrect sin bin imo. The other 2 absolutely clear cut.
They’ve been pretty consistent this year with direct contact to the head. There wasn’t anything he could have done to avoid it but that’s still what happened and there doesn’t need to be any intent.
It wasn't really contact to the head though. It was Finucane head-butting his shoulder. Was essentially sin binned for existing.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Whitehead copped the same on field punishment as Jesse Ramien who ran out of the line to put a hit on and shouldered the opposition's player at full force in the face knocking him out cold.

Ramien's sin bin was the most clear cut send off I have seen for a long time. And he was 100% only binned because there'd already been a send off. That's the sort of thing that worries me with these decisions.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

julian87 wrote:
pickles wrote: May 16, 2022, 9:28 am
julian87 wrote:Whiteheads was the only incorrect sin bin imo. The other 2 absolutely clear cut.
They’ve been pretty consistent this year with direct contact to the head. There wasn’t anything he could have done to avoid it but that’s still what happened and there doesn’t need to be any intent.
It wasn't really contact to the head though. It was Finucane head-butting his shoulder. Was essentially sin binned for existing.
There was no intent or malice in it but there was direct contact with the head from Elliot’s shoulder. At the moment that seems to be 10 in the bin regardless. I don’t like it one bit. Accidents happen in a fast contact sport but that seems to be the way things are at the moment.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

julian87 wrote:Whitehead copped the same on field punishment as Jesse Ramien who ran out of the line to put a hit on and shouldered the opposition's player at full force in the face knocking him out cold.

Ramien's sin bin was the most clear cut send off I have seen for a long time. And he was 100% only binned because there'd already been a send off. That's the sort of thing that worries me with these decisions.
100% agree with this. Massive difference in the tackles but same infield punishment. Ramien did cop a few weeks though and we benefited from that.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

This is the best angle of the Whitehead shot. Finucane came flying sideways off Papalii but Whitehead got him pretty flush.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: May 16, 2022, 12:14 pm

:roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Also noticed Whitehead hasn't been charged... it's almost like that didn't deserve a sin bin at all...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We even got a few Kenny Rogers sightings yesterday.
Its win/win.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Say what you want about the call, I loved seeing Whitehead - clearly recognising he was destined to have a 10 minute break - bring the boys together and bark out some instructions while the Bunker was reviewing. Great leadership, and really reflective of the completely different attitude the whole squad brought yesterday.

Savour that one, guys. We're likely in for a rough couple of years so you have to make the most of performances like that when they come, we played great right across the board.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Is Henry Perenara still involved with the bunker? I haven’t seen his name attached to a controversial decision this season.

He’s either improved beyond belief or is no longer involved in the refereeing ranks. I’m guessing the latter.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

BJ wrote: May 16, 2022, 6:19 pm Is Henry Perenara still involved with the bunker? I haven’t seen his name attached to a controversial decision this season.

He’s either improved beyond belief or is no longer involved in the refereeing ranks. I’m guessing the latter.
He’s cut ties completely I think BJ.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:
BJ wrote: May 16, 2022, 6:19 pm Is Henry Perenara still involved with the bunker? I haven’t seen his name attached to a controversial decision this season.

He’s cut ties completely I think BJ.
That explains it Image
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

twistedbydesign wrote: May 16, 2022, 5:45 pm Savour that one, guys. We're likely in for a rough couple of years so you have to make the most of performances like that when they come, we played great right across the board.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

GreenMachine wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 16, 2022, 8:27 am
GreenMachine wrote:I don’t know what footage your watching.
Clearly it’s tainted green.
He clearly makes a second play when Moylan’s hands are off him and is rightfully bundled into touch.
If he went the length of the field and scored a try you’d be asking for it to stand.
The guy had a solid game but it was an idiotic play that thankfully we didn’t pay the price for.
There is no ‘ref conspiracy’…
Please don’t believe everything our coach spews out…thought you were smarter than that.
So your answers are that you’ve got no response. “He clearly makes a second play” but you can’t say that he moves forward or what motion he makes that he isn’t entitled to in getting up to play the ball? Ok then.

No one is arguing ref conspiracy - straw man

I’ve got no idea what Ricky said on this one. I haven’t watched the press conference.
Giving me a shopping list of questions to answer for you is a waste of my time....try that cheap trick on a second year Law student or something....
I've given you the explanation (which is supported by the ref and video ref).
So take your bait and fish in another pond.
You could start by picking any one of them.

I’ll take the fact that you can’t say CNK advanced or did anything to show that he was doing more than playing the ball as you have 0 argument.

Appealing to the authority of NRL refs as a source of right is when you really know your argument sucks.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote: Having said all that, just goes to show you can dig in and win even with bad calls. That’s why constant ref blaming (which is usually well of the mark) just shouldn’t be part of anybody’s MO
And people who get a good job despite racism just goes to show that no one should complain about racism in hiring.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

twistedbydesign wrote: May 16, 2022, 5:45 pm Say what you want about the call, I loved seeing Whitehead - clearly recognising he was destined to have a 10 minute break - bring the boys together and bark out some instructions while the Bunker was reviewing. Great leadership, and really reflective of the completely different attitude the whole squad brought yesterday.

Savour that one, guys. We're likely in for a rough couple of years so you have to make the most of performances like that when they come, we played great right across the board.
Yeah I like this. Great post.

Im the most nailed on Whitehead fan there is. I've been disappointed in where his career is headed but I will not believe such a good footballer won't find a way.

He is by far the most underrated and understated signing we made from '14 or whenever the turnaround started.

He's undoubtedly slowed down and isn't as fit as he was but I just can't crucify the bloke after all he's done.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Finally settled in with plenty of time to watch the game. Thoughts on the sin-binnings:

CNK: Incredibly harsh, but within bounds.

Horse: ****. Deserved and I hope he got a scolding.

Whitehead: Terrible. Total accident, no malice, not even an attempt at a high shot, Finucane just bounced up onto his shoulder. That's an absolutely awful call and the NRL need to reconsider this.

I did absolutely love that he gathered up the lads and gave them a talking to before departing. And our composure was very good during the 2 minutes of 11 vs 13. There was a lot of opportunity for the Sharks and they did not take it.

Free from the stress of worrying if we would win, I really enjoyed watching us, which I haven't done in a while.

Woolford has a boatload of potential and it's not all the name. Big, strong, quick, good hands. The forwards all had great games. Savage didn't get on for long but he was spectacular when he did.

Oh, and Moylan is useless, but I've been yelling that for years, so that shouldn't be a surprise.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

pickles wrote:
Bennyboy2283 wrote:The obstruction on CNK for sharks first try is the one that’s got me all fired up, I thought the bunker had to look at everything
This was a clear obstruction, should have been penalty raiders. Runner goes through and takes CNK out running on the outside shoulder. Not sure how they missed it really.
I thought it was the right 'non' call because CNK wasn't going to cover it and I don't think it impacted the defensive line ... however they've been calling that back for obstruction fairly consistently - simply if the runner hits the outside shoulder, which he did.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:
He clearly makes a second play when Moylan’s hands are off him and is rightfully bundled into touch.
If he went the length of the field and scored a try you’d be asking for it to stand.
The guy had a solid game but it was an idiotic play that thankfully we didn’t pay the price for.
Please don’t believe everything our coach spews out…thought you were smarter than that.
So your answers are that you’ve got no response. “He clearly makes a second play” but you can’t say that he moves forward or what motion he makes that he isn’t entitled to in getting up to play the ball? Ok then.

I’ve got no idea what Ricky said on this one. I haven’t watched the press conference.
Giving me a shopping list of questions to answer for you is a waste of my time....try that cheap trick on a second year Law student or something....

I’ll take the fact that you can’t say CNK advanced or did anything to show that he was doing more than playing the ball as you have 0 argument.

Appealing to the authority of NRL refs as a source of right is when you really know your argument sucks.
Gangers, I disagree with the decision because he was tackled, but CNK clearly got up to try and run again... you need to stop pushing this line
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:
The Nickman wrote: Having said all that, just goes to show you can dig in and win even with bad calls. That’s why constant ref blaming (which is usually well of the mark) just shouldn’t be part of anybody’s MO
And people who get a good job despite racism just goes to show that no one should complain about racism in hiring.
Wow. Surprised you didn’t go straight to Nazis, but close enough I suppose.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:

Gangers, I disagree with the decision because he was tackled, but CNK clearly got up to try and run again... you need to stop pushing this line
You watched it yet? Tell me how many steps he takes.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Wow. Surprised you didn’t go straight to Nazis, but close enough I suppose.
Yep, that’s the point. Good job.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Even Graham Annesley admitted that CNK could have just been standing to play the ball. And that he didn’t know if that was the case or not.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Well he got one thing right.

So how the hell did he try and justify it as the right call?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Another thing to remember with the Elliott sin binning and it been deemed bad enough to put on report it meant the Sharks could bring in their 18th man into the game

So the sharks scored a penalty, 10min with an extra man on the field AND a fresh man into the game.

That's a pretty big reward for their player putting his head in the wrong place
Vaccinated
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Wonder what the record is for most sin bins with no suspensions.