Four Raiders admitted to Hall of Fame

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders induct four more members into Club Hall of Fame

The Canberra Raiders have announced four more premiership players into their Hall of Fame, at tonight’s 40th Anniversary Gala.

The four new members were all part of the club’s premiership winning side of 1994 and join several of their former teammates in the club Hall of Fame.

Paul Osborne (Raider #132), Brett Hetherington (Raider #134), Quentin Pongia (Raider #149) and Noa Nadruku (Raider #151) had the honour of being inducted by the 2021 inductees who were announced earlier this season at the club’s online season launch.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... l-of-fame/

VIDEO: Quentin Pongia: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... in-pongia/

VIDEO: Brett Hetherington: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... herington/

VIDEO: Noa Nadruku: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... a-nadruku/

VIDEO: Paul Osborne: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... l-osborne/

Quentin Pongia one of four Canberra Raiders hall of fame inductees

In a special moment, Quentin Pongia's family were on hand as the Canberra Raiders honoured the life of one of the toughest players ever to wear lime green. Pongia tragically died of bowel cancer in 2019, aged just 48. He was one of four inductees into the Green Machine's hall of fame on Saturday night - with all of them playing in the Raiders' 1994 premiership. Pongia's brother Brendon accepted the honour on his behalf.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Four Raiders admitted to Hall of Fame

Post by greeneyed »

The club is admitting far too many players at one time into the Hall of Fame, in my view. I’m not arguing with these admissions, far from it. But we’re running out of true greats of the club… that’s eight this year (I know we missed a year due to COVID, but…) Four every year is too many.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Watch the Noa Nadruku highlights on the website.

Congrats to the four new inductees. Hope our team was inspired by the old boys at the 40th anniversary dinner and look forward to seeing some photos of the evening.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2022, 12:28 am The club is admitting far too many players at one time into the Hall of Fame, in my view. I’m not arguing with these admissions, far from it. But we’re running out of true greats of the club… that’s eight this year (I know we missed a year due to COVID, but…) Four every year is too many.
Is the club doing anything right in your eyes GE? :(

I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing AND I know we have many many many more greats of the club to pick. Remember they dont have to be just players!
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: May 8, 2022, 9:56 am
greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2022, 12:28 am The club is admitting far too many players at one time into the Hall of Fame, in my view. I’m not arguing with these admissions, far from it. But we’re running out of true greats of the club… that’s eight this year (I know we missed a year due to COVID, but…) Four every year is too many.
Is the club doing anything right in your eyes GE? :(

I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing AND I know we have many many many more greats of the club to pick. Remember they dont have to be just players!
I’m not sure where the line sits but GE has a fair point. There are a lot of achievements or milestones in an NRL players life. First grade debut, rep honours, premierships, 50 games, 100 games etc. Hall of fame should be the highest club honour and as far as I’m aware it isn’t tiered. So if we say Mal is an unquestionable legend of the club the benchmark for me whether you’d categorise other players in the same discussion as Mal. We often do - “The raiders had great players like Mal, Laurie, Ricky and Clyde”. We also have discussions about our great wingers or great forwards. I think this is the measure for me and if we are inducting people who’s names aren’t coming up in those discussions then I wonder if we are over reaching a bit.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Not disagreeing with you GE, and not putting you on the spot to name names, but can I clarify, are you concerned how quickly we are naming all our legends, or that the standard we are applying might not be high enough?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Congrats to those four, all worthy. With out the bull ****.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Off on May 8, 2022, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: May 8, 2022, 10:35 am
Not disagreeing with you GE, and not putting you on the spot to name names, but can I clarify, are you concerned how quickly we are naming all our legends, or that the standard we are applying might not be high enough?
As posted, I'm not suggesting the players named last night are not deserved recipients of the honour.

I do think that the bar has to pretty high for something like a Hall of Fame. There are 110 players in the NRL Hall of Fame, that's about one player for every season of rugby league in Australia. That's a pretty good guide on how exclusive the selections have to be - in my view.

The Raiders' Hall of Fame started in 2019, and 16 players and one coach were included. Since, one coach and 11 players have been added. Four were added in 2020, and eight this year. That is a total of 29 from 40 seasons. Just about all the players who have won a Grand Final with the club have now been included. At four per year, they're going to hit 40 pretty quickly. There are certainly players from the modern era who will deserve inclusion, but you shouldn't really consider players for this sort of honour until they've been retired for a while. Thus, my conclusion, they'll do well to slow down the rate of new inductees.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2022, 12:10 pm
As posted, I'm not suggesting the players named last night are not deserved recipients of the honour.

I do think that the bar has to pretty high for something like a Hall of Fame. There are 110 players in the NRL Hall of Fame, that's about one player for every season of rugby league in Australia. That's a pretty good guide on how exclusive the selections have to be - in my view.

The Raiders' Hall of Fame started in 2019, and 16 players and one coach were included. Since, one coach and 11 players have been added. Four were added in 2020, and eight this year. That is a total of 29 from 40 seasons. Just about all the players who have won a Grand Final with the club have now been included. At four per year, they're going to hit 40 pretty quickly. There are certainly players from the modern era who will deserve inclusion, but you shouldn't really consider players for this sort of honour until they've been retired for a while. Thus, my conclusion, they'll do well to slow down the rate of new inductees.
That’s a fair call. I guess the NRL also bought in an additional tier of immortal that separates the legends from the absolute elite. There is probably no right or wrong to these things but agree that it loses it’s exclusivity if the net is cast too wide, too quickly.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

One of the best nights I’ll never forget in my life

Well done to all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:

To be fair, once we get into players from the 00’s, it’ll settle down a bit. Slim pickings for candidates. Alan Tongue, Phil Graham, Demetri Pelo
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 8, 2022, 6:11 pm To be fair, once we get into players from the 00’s, it’ll settle down a bit. Slim pickings for candidates. Alan Tongue, Phil Graham, Demetri Pelo
That's sort of my point Fui.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah and I’m kinda agreeing with you General. Let in all the obvious 80s and 90s legends, then it’ll settle down for decades
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Hard not to induct that 94 GF team entirely plus Lomax, still if not the best club team to play a match.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I personally wouldn't induct Paul Osborne, to be perfectly honest.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:I personally wouldn't induct Paul Osborne, to be perfectly honest.
Agree. Maybe Paul Osborne for the tent of fame.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Paul Osborne’s speech on the night was something else, reduced the function to tears.

In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Brew wrote: May 9, 2022, 11:44 am Paul Osborne’s speech on the night was something else, reduced the function to tears.

Is it available anywhere?
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

sprintman wrote:
Brew wrote: May 9, 2022, 11:44 am Paul Osborne’s speech on the night was something else, reduced the function to tears.

Don’t think so.

There were a few emotional speeches, Pongia’s brother was special, and Noa’s wife of his they came to choose Canberra and where they came from.

But Ozzie yeah loves the club, champion guy. I’m not getting into a debate if he should of been picked in the Hall Of Fame, but man he spoke from the heart, was really touching.

In Ricky We Trust
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Brew wrote: May 9, 2022, 4:16 pm
sprintman wrote:

Don’t think so.

There were a few emotional speeches, Pongia’s brother was special, and Noa’s wife of his they came to choose Canberra and where they came from.

But Ozzie yeah loves the club, champion guy. I’m not getting into a debate if he should of been picked in the Hall Of Fame, but man he spoke from the heart, was really touching.

Thanks
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2022, 6:43 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 8, 2022, 6:11 pm To be fair, once we get into players from the 00’s, it’ll settle down a bit. Slim pickings for candidates. Alan Tongue, Phil Graham, Demetri Pelo
Once the GF winners are all in, it's gonna get quiet, fast
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Osborne and Hetherington. Hall of Fame?

Seriously? Two good passes in a grand final grants you a HoF spot now? He barely played 50 games for the club.

Hetherington didn't even play 150 games and wasn't near rep level. On what basis does he get a gig?

C'mon now.

Those two nominations are a joke.

Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2022, 6:43 pm
Once the GF winners are all in, it's gonna get quiet, fast
Then it will be the 2019 Grand Finalists lol

In Ricky We Trust
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Seiffert82 wrote:Osborne and Hetherington. Hall of Fame?

Seriously? Two good passes in a grand final grants you a HoF spot now? He barely played 50 games for the club.

Hetherington didn't even play 150 games and wasn't near rep level. On what basis does he get a gig?

C'mon now.

Those two nominations are a joke.
I'm ok with Ozzie on the basis of GF hero, same as Steve Jackson

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: May 9, 2022, 10:03 am I personally wouldn't induct Paul Osborne, to be perfectly honest.
Yeah, me either.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I feel its reasonable to hold views about who is a worthy HoF inductee or otherwise, but poor form to express those views.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

That's a great haka from the kiwi boys. Isn't Timoko a Kiwi as well?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote:I feel its reasonable to hold views about who is a worthy HoF inductee or otherwise, but poor form to express those views.
Open slather on current players though?

Don't be silly Billy.

Furthermore, I've had the misfortune of meeting Paul Osbourne in person a few times. Not only is he unworthy of a HoF position for his generally ordinary career, I've actually held back on what I really want to say about the bloke.

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Definately needs more Adam Elliot.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 10, 2022, 7:21 am
Billy Walker wrote:I feel its reasonable to hold views about who is a worthy HoF inductee or otherwise, but poor form to express those views.
Open slather on current players though?

Don't be silly Billy.

Furthermore, I've had the misfortune of meeting Paul Osbourne in person a few times. Not only is he unworthy of a HoF position for his generally ordinary career, I've actually held back on what I really want to say about the bloke.
If it makes you feel any better I don’t suspect he has any concerns about you.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Is this a bag the EX players thread?

This place is woke.