Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs
Friday 6 May, 6:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 4:00pm
Gungahlin Bulls V Yass Magpies juniors: 4:10pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Early frost. Mostly sunny. Mostly sunny. Patches of frost in the early morning. Light winds becoming northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning. Chance of rain: 5 per cent. Min 1 Max 13

The Canberra Raiders are on a five game losing streak - and are back home in Round 9 for a clash with the Bulldogs.

Last round: 2022 Round 8. New Zealand Warriors 21 - Canberra Raiders 20. The Canberra Raiders found a way to lose in the second half, yet again. Well, the second half, plus a bit of golden point extra time. Five losses in a row. For the fifth time this year, the Raiders were held scoreless in the second half. The opposition was beaten by 60 points last week, conceding 70 against the Storm. The Warriors played downright awful football. But the Raiders just kept giving them an invitation back into the game.

More on Round 8: As I saw it

Team news: Canberra Raiders club captain Jarrod Croker will make his long awaited comeback to first grade at centre. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad returns at fullback, with Jordan Rapana moving back to the wing. Semi Valemei (knee) is out for 1-2 weeks, while Xavier Savage has dropped to the reserves list.

Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton has been suspended for the next two matches, after he entered an early guilty plea to a grade two lifting tackle charge. Matt Frawley replaces him at five eighth.

Elliott Whitehead (facial injury) will return in the second row, with Corey Harawira-Naera dropping to the bench. Back rower Adam Elliott will again start at hooker. Sebastian Kris comes in on the bench, while Harry Rushton has dropped out of the top 17.

Bulldogs prop Billy Tsikrikas has been suspended for a week after a dangerous contact charge. Captain Josh Jackson returns at lock, with Max King dropping to the bench. Brent Naden is back on to the wing, with Jayden Okunbor dropping out.

Late changes: Both teams confirmed their top 17 on Thursday evening. The Raiders retained Harry Rushton and Sam Williams on the reserves list, while the Bulldogs left Chris Patolo and Jayden Okunbor on the extended bench.

Milestone: This match will be game 100 in green for Raiders winger Nick Cotric.

History: The Raiders have won 33 and lost 37 matches against the Canterbury Bulldogs. That’s a 47 per cent win rate. However, the record has been more favourable recently, with Canberra winning seven of the past 10 clashes - and the last five in a row. The clubs met only once in 2019, with the Raiders fortunate to run out narrow 12-10 winners at Stadium Australia. The Raiders then won 34-20 in 2020, but it wasn't too comfortable last year in Magic Round at Lang Park. Josh Papalii was sent off and Jack Wighton was sin binned in that match - and the Raiders just got a two point victory, 20-18. Canberra has won 15 of the 25 matches played between the clubs at Canberra Stadium, including the last three.

2021 Round 10: Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

2020 Round 16: Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

Form: Raiders: LLLLL
Bulldogs: LLLLW

The Bulldogs won their season opener against the Cowboys in Round 1 by two points - but then went on a six game losing streak. They've conceded big scores against the Storm (44-0), Panthers (32-12), Rabbitohs (36-16) and Broncos (34-14) in their past five matches. But they had a breakthrough last week against the Roosters, winning a tight game, 16-12, at Stadium Australia.

Betting: The Raiders started as slight favourites, but both teams are now paying $1.90. The Bulldogs have 1.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: These two teams have been saved from the wooden spoon position, for now, courtesy of the recent performances of the Newcastle Knights. Along with the Tigers, the Bulldogs have the worst attack in the competition. But the Raiders aren't far away. They are bottom four.

The Raiders are still last in the league for completions, while the Bulldogs are the middle of the pack. The higher completions clearly haven't helped the Bulldogs' attack. The Raiders and Bulldogs are the top two teams for offloads. That hasn't helped the attacking potency for either. Both teams are bottom four for tackle breaks, and bottom two for line breaks. The Raiders are last for running metres and second last for kicking metres. The Raiders are also the most penalised team in the competition.

2022 Season record: Raiders 2 and 6 (14th, -83)
Bulldogs 2 and 4 (15th, -105)

Attack: Raiders 14 points and 2 tries scored per match, ranked 13th on tries scored
Bulldogs 11 points and 2 tries scored per match, ranked equal last on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 25 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 14th on fewest tries conceded
Bulldogs 24 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 15th on fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 48 per cent, Bulldogs 49 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 70 per cent, Bulldogs 75 per cent

Running: Raiders 1356 running metres per match
Bulldogs 1469 running metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 28, Bulldogs 25 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 3, Bulldogs 3 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Bulldogs 1 per match

Offloads: Raiders 13, Bulldogs 12 per match

Kicking: Raiders 436 kicking metres per match
Bulldogs 532 kicking metres per match

Tackling: Raiders 89 per cent tackle efficiency
Bulldogs 89 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1350 running metres conceded per match
Bulldogs 1435 running metres conceded per match

Errors: Raiders 13, Bulldogs 12 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 7, Bulldogs 6 per match

Key match-ups:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Matt Dufty: Chanrze Nicoll-Klokstad didn't have the best of starts to 2022, and he found himself dropped to the bench in the Round 7 clash with the Panthers. He sat on the pine for the entire game last week, and ended up playing in NSW Cup on Sunday. It seemed to get him back into the swing of things, making 141 running metres and producing two try assists and three tackle breaks in a win over the Eels. Importantly, he made three kick defusals and no errors. Important as he's been unsteady under the high ball so far this year. The Raiders nearly made a play at Matt Dufty last year, but he went to the Bulldogs instead. He's got pretty good numbers. He's scored a try and posted three line breaks, three try assists, 39 tackle breaks and an average 144 running metres a game. His defence is his relative weakness (79 per cent tackle efficiency, compared with 88 per cent for CNK). Based on form this year, Dufty takes this match up.

Jordan Rapana and Brent Naden: Ricky Stuart turned to Jordan Rapana to fill the No. 1 jersey for the past two weeks, but he had an unhappy game against the Warriors. He gifted two tries to the New Zealand outfit through errors. He's back where he is best this week, on the right wing. In 2022 he's got a try, two try assists, two line breaks, 23 tackle breaks and an average 103 running metres to his name. He faces former Raider, Brent Naden this week. Naden started the season at centre, but moved to the wing in Round 5. He missed last week's game due to COVID protocols. He's produced a try, two line breaks, eight tackle breaks and averaged 96 running metres. Add in Rapana's better defensive record and he takes the "skin" here.

Josh Papalii and Paul Vaughan: Prop Josh Papalii also faces another former Raider in this game, Paul Vaughan. Papalii was the Dally M Prop of the Year in 2020, but he's had a bit of a mixed start to 2022. He's averaged 116 running metres per game, and produced 10 offloads and 16 tackle breaks. He's barely missed a tackle or made an error. Things ended badly last year at the Dragons for Vaughan, but he's had a fresh start with the Dogs this year. He's averaged 130 running metres per match and produced three offloads and 11 tackle breaks. His tackle efficiency is a tad below Papalii, but overall his numbers are a tad stronger. I'll call this one a draw on this year's form.

My tip: This would have been a "spoon bowl" contest but for the horrible recent performances of the Knights and the Bulldogs' upset win over the Roosters last week. Given the form lines, it was a little surprising that the Raiders started as slight favourites in this game. But the money has been coming in for the Bulldogs - and now the market can't split the teams. It is not surprising. The Raiders have simply been making too many mistakes to win football games. The team is improved by the return of Jarrod Croker, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Elliott Whitehead. But considering the fact that Jack Wighton is not in the team, the head says Bulldogs by two. I hope I'm wrong. How I would love to be wrong.

What they're saying:

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart after the loss to the Warriors: "That whole second half was undisciplined, lacked any quality, execution, it was just very disappointing. I am glad they were as bad as us. Publicly I am lost for comment in regard of the quality of that performance in the second half and for any loyal fan, any real fan we have got left, I feel really embarrassed and sorry for them. I can put my finger on it, but as I say from a public point of view it is not something that I need to discuss here at a press conference."

Elliott Whitehead on his return and the return of Jarrod Croker: "I gave my mouth time to heal and looking forward to be back out there for a special occasion this weekend with all the old boys coming to watch. Hopefully we can get the win and get our season back on track. Jarrod has always never let anybody down. It'll be good for me to have him on alongside me as well."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Matt Frawley
7. Brad Schneider
8. Josh Papalii
9. Adam Elliott
10. Joe Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead (c)
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Tom Starling
15. Corey Harawira-Naera
16. Sebastian Kris
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Harry Rushton
22. Sam Williams

Injury/Suspension

Semi Valemei, Knee (Rd 10-11)
Jack Wighton, Suspended (Rd 11)
Jamal Fogarty, Knee (Rd 15-17)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Matt Dufty
2. Brent Naden
3. Aaron Schoupp
4. Jake Averillo
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Kyle Flanagan
8. Luke Thompson
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Corey Waddell
12. Tevita Pangai Junior
13. Josh Jackson

14. Bailey Biondi-Odo
15. Joe Stimson
16. Max King
17. Ava Seumanufagai

25. Chris Patolo
23. Jayden Okunbor

Injury/Suspension

Billy Tsikrikas, Suspended (Rd 10)
Braidon Burns, Hamstring (Rd 15)
Corey Allan, Hamstring (Indefinite)
Chris Patolo, Concussion (Indefinite)
Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Foot (Indefinite)
Jack Hetherington, Shoulder (Season)
Matt Doorey, Knee (Mid-season)

Officials

Referee: Ben Cummins
Touch judges: Chris Sutton, Keiren Irons
Video referee: Chris Butler

NRL teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersBulldogs
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2022 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: 2022 Rd 9 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by reptar »

Is it over yet?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

reptar wrote:Is it over yet?
yes, yes it is mate

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Old boys in attendance, the Viking Clap..that home ground feel.

Play like spuds.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

bonehead wrote:
reptar wrote:Is it over yet?
yes, yes it is mate

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Good. I don’t need to bother then
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-12hrs till kickoff.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Shame day - woo hoo!
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Oh ****, was just reminded it’s game day
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2022 Rd 9 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

At least it’s the “no one cares” 6pm Friday game. Less people watching what will be the train wreck of all train wrecks. But the boys will try hard, Ricky reassures us every week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Hypothetical: if we win, would that warrant a shoving in our faces?
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game Day!! Go the Raiders!!

No matter the amount of criticism we put on here, come 6pm most of us will be wearing our colours and watching the game. Bring out the Green in you :thumbsup :thumbsup
Expecting a big game from Cotric and Elliott.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 6, 2022, 9:19 am Hypothetical: if we win, would that warrant a shoving in our faces?
Absolutely. Nothing screams success louder than a win over the benchmark setting Bulldogs.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: May 6, 2022, 8:10 am At least it’s the “no one cares” 6pm Friday game. Less people watching what will be the train wreck of all train wrecks. But the boys will try hard, Ricky reassures us every week

I'm often bagging the NRL schedules however they got this one right. The timeslot nobody likes being filled by a game nobody wants to watch. Nailed it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

I can sense your pain GE tipping the dogs here.

I don’t care how ugly it gets I just need a win here from the boys tonight.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Northern Raider wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote: May 6, 2022, 9:19 am Hypothetical: if we win, would that warrant a shoving in our faces?
Absolutely. Nothing screams success louder than a win over the benchmark setting Bulldogs.
Rocky will get another 10 year contract

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We will win in Golden Point after being up 14-0 and then giving up our lead. Expect Frawley to strike a field goal that ricochets off of Rapana's head then over the posts.

Rocky will proceed to shove it in our faces.
Last edited by Azza on May 6, 2022, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: May 6, 2022, 10:10 am
If we do win Rocky will mention the influence of our returning leaders.

Croker and Whitey.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: May 6, 2022, 10:42 am We will win in Golden Point after being up 14-0 and then giving up our lead. Expect Frawley to strike a field goal that ricochets of Rapana's head then over the posts.

And in the pressa Rocky will say we’re back to our best, never lost the comraderie and always believed that hard work would turn things around.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Why is he Rocky?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

dubby wrote: May 6, 2022, 11:08 am Why is he Rocky?
Because Nockman *checks notes* said so.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

On the plus side this train wreck will be over and done with early and we can all get on with enjoying our weekend!

Thinking we have zero chance of beating the horrendous dogs is a genuine low point.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: May 6, 2022, 11:30 am
dubby wrote: May 6, 2022, 11:08 am Why is he Rocky?
Because Nockman *checks notes* said so.
I believe Nickman refers to him as "the cannonball".
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

Azza wrote: May 6, 2022, 10:42 am We will win in Golden Point after being up 14-0 and then giving up our lead. Expect Frawley to strike a field goal that ricochets of Rapana's head then over the posts.

:lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m looking forward to the follow up book in the Matt Cleary series: “Raiders 2019 - 2022, from Studs to Spuds”
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Is there a Ploder or not this week?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

reptar wrote: May 6, 2022, 1:20 pm Is there a Ploder or not this week?
You for misspelling plodder.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Azza wrote: May 6, 2022, 1:27 pm
reptar wrote: May 6, 2022, 1:20 pm Is there a Ploder or not this week?
You for misspelling plodder.
Oh, Azza :lol:
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

pickles wrote:On the plus side this train wreck will be over and done with early and we can all get on with enjoying our weekend!

Thinking we have zero chance of beating the horrendous dogs is a genuine low point.
On the negative side it's too early for me to be drunk enough to deal with. I might have to watch on kayo after guzzling a few quick ones.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Are we the only team in the comp that would prefer to be trailing by 4 points rather than leading by 4 points with 10 to go?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I would be perfectly happy to remain in the naughty corner 6pm Friday slot for the rest of the season frankly.

It benefits everyone I think.

No neutrals tuning in to watch us disgrace ourselves and all of us poor sods can get it out of the way early and move on with our weekend.
Up The Milk
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

I thought it was Saturday n we played at 3, was wondering why no final teams had been named haha

Sent from my SM-A225F using Tapatalk

Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I am consoled by the fact I'm meeting a friend to watch the footy at the pub tonight, and any mockery of me he can muster will be tempered by the fact that he's an Eels fan and he'll be on a hiding soon after.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue

Post by thedevilingreen »

gergreg wrote: May 6, 2022, 1:37 pm
pickles wrote:On the plus side this train wreck will be over and done with early and we can all get on with enjoying our weekend!

On the negative side it's too early for me to be drunk enough to deal with. I might have to watch on kayo after guzzling a few quick ones.
Thanks for reminding me to get booze. I'm gonna need a hard buzz to watch this tonight.
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Ilanraiders wrote:Game Day!! Go the Raiders!!

No matter the amount of criticism we put on here, come 6pm most of us will be wearing our colours and watching the game. Bring out the Green in you :thumbsup :thumbsup
Expecting a big game from Cotric and Elliott.
Im sorry that is dead with the current tools in the clubs toolbox, they make me ill

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

La Generale warming his hands for the rediculous losers clap?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.