Jack Wighton still in NSW Blues State of Origin mix despite Canberra Raiders' NRL start

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Jack Wighton still in NSW Blues State of Origin mix despite Canberra Raiders' NRL start

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton's still in the State of Origin mix despite the Canberra Raiders' poor start to the NRL season.

"If a side's battling it doesn't hurt someone's chances - unless someone has completely lost form altogether, which Jack hasn't," Blues advisor Greg Alexander said. "Jack's done a good job whenever he's been in the side, whether it's in the centres or off the bench - he's versatile. He's in the mix for both centre and No.14."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Jack Wighton still in NSW Blues State of Origin mix despite Canberra Raiders' NRL start

Post by Billy Walker »

I suspect he might get pipped by Papenhauzen for the 14 jumper but Jack’s form has been good this year.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Jack Wighton still in NSW Blues State of Origin mix despite Canberra Raiders' NRL start

Post by Finchy »

Papi only really covers FB and isn’t big or strong or tall enough for wing/centre/second row cover, and doesn’t play halves. Andrew Johns mentioned this the other day. Said Wighton covers basically every position except hooker, and he could probably play there too, making him the perfect 14.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeah Wighton should get the nod for exactly that reason... he can play fullback, wing, centre, halves, back row and lock
And frankly would probably scrap by at hooker if you absolutely had no other option

He's also an energy player who can breaks tackles with his running game against tired defenders.
He's a perfect #14 for origin footy. And he's one of few Raiders players who is actually playing pretty well. He'd be my pick but of course NSW selectors have never really done a great job, it wont shock me if they opt for Pap who really only covers 1 spot.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’d pick him and I think he deserves it but I just wonder whether there might be a push for Papi if he keeps his form up.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

He is a great player who would perform well as NSW 6.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Personally, I’d like to see Jack starting in the NSW team and getting as much hands on the ball as possible throughout the game

Hell, even throw him the kicking duties!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2022, 5:58 am Personally, I’d like to see Jack starting in the NSW team and getting as much hands on the ball as possible throughout the game

You and the rest of the people residing in QLD.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

He's not a Vlandysball centre at all. Too slow. If he's picked there above Staggs/Lomax/Talakai/Crichton it'll be an outrage
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 29, 2022, 4:18 pm He's not a Vlandysball centre at all. Too slow. If he's picked there above Staggs/Lomax/Talakai/Crichton it'll be an outrage
Jack isn't slow by any stretch. I'd say he's the exact opposite. He has legit good topline speed as shown by his insane kick-chase game and has power and acceleration to match just about any other NRL centre. If Jack was a centre he'd be in the Crichton/top bracket.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean wrote: April 29, 2022, 6:29 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 29, 2022, 4:18 pm He's not a Vlandysball centre at all. Too slow. If he's picked there above Staggs/Lomax/Talakai/Crichton it'll be an outrage
Jack isn't slow by any stretch. I'd say he's the exact opposite. He has legit good topline speed as shown by his insane kick-chase game and has power and acceleration to match just about any other NRL centre. If Jack was a centre he'd be in the Crichton/top bracket.
I've observed him carefully, and IMO he's definitely lost a bit in the past couple of years - likely as a result of becoming heavier.

RE his chances for Origin: as has been said already, he's just about the perfect 14 for rep football and in good form room. No brainer to pick him.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

My issue with Jack at 14, covering lots of positions, is Jack has to try and remember which position he is playing at the time.

Jack has a lot of strengths, but thinking, and adapting are not on that list.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2022, 5:58 am Personally, I’d like to see Jack starting in the NSW team and getting as much hands on the ball as possible throughout the game

Id like to say he would be good at kicking for touch but if he knows it needs to be out on the full he’d probably put up a mid field bomb?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

As long as the Panthers halves stay fit they will be the NSW halves imo. They were selected their last year and only injury broke them up. They are the halves of the undefeated Panthers so I reckon they are specials for NSW selection. Welcome back Nickman.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler backs Jack Wighton despite two-game ban, says Nick Cotric in Origin frame

Jack Wighton has been suspended for two weeks, but NSW coach Brad Fittler believes there's still time for the Raider to prove he's worthy of Blues selection. He also says Nick Cotric is in the frame for Origin.

"I love watching Nick play. I think his form has been good," Fittler said. "He's getting back to what he knows he's good at. He runs a lot, he's hard to tackle and makes tackle breaks, and he's doing a lot of it out of his own end.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Women's State of Origin 'ready' for three-game series says Sky Blues coach Kylie Hilder: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

What games is Fred watching?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Question wrote: May 2, 2022, 5:43 pm What games is Fred watching?

The History channel
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There’s gotta be another Nick Cotric.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

Yap wrote:
Question wrote: May 2, 2022, 5:43 pm What games is Fred watching?

The History channel
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

-PJ- wrote: May 2, 2022, 6:24 pm There’s gotta be another Nick Cotric.
I don't see all Freddie's appearances but from what I can tell he rarely speaks badly about a player. And especially not one who has been in his squads/who might be a few injuries away from being in a squad again. I remember him being pretty gentle and positive in the media even when Fergo or Latrell mucked up.

I'm sure there's exceptions (maybe specific foul play or something) but he's generally on the "positives, build them up, good vibes only" kind of guy in the press.

He generally ha something good to say about whoever they ask about so I wouldn't read too much into it. If anything it might be some advice to Nic on doing what he does best- get involved, run more, run hard. But I'm not sure if Freddy is that subtle.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nick Cotric reacts to shock NSW Blues talk ahead of 100th match for Raiders

Nick Cotric has caught the eye of NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler but the Raiders winger admits he still has work to do at club level before he starts thinking about State of Origin.

"I've got to work on my game, get a bit better, just to feel good, have more confidence," Cotric said. "I've got to find my rhythm again and I'm slowly getting it back. I'm just focusing on getting my role for the team right."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Article in SMH suggesting it is between Hynes and Wighton for the bench spot.

At first I thought it was crazy but considering there is no natural fullback cover for Tedesco if something happens (since Turbo and Latrell are both injured), Hynes makes a little more sense as he can cover all 4 spine positions well. Wighton hasn’t played fullback since 2018.

Would actually prefer Wighton misses out as we need him for that Roosters game.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Wighton has to be in the 17 somewhere

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

My team

1. Tedesco
2. Adds-Carr
3. Critchon
4. Staggs
5. To’o
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Paulo
9. Api K
10. Haas
11. Martin
12. Murray
13. Yeo

14. Wighton
15. Sims
16. Trbjovic
17. RCG

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dusty wrote:My team

1. Tedesco
2. Adds-Carr
3. Critchon
4. Staggs
5. To’o
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Paulo
9. Api K
10. Haas
11. Martin
12. Murray
13. Yeo

14. Wighton
15. Sims
16. Trbjovic
17. RCG

Not sure about Sims. Hasn't been good enough at club level, but you just know he wouldn't let anybody down. Jake isn't good enough imo, but again wouldn't let anybody down. He'd make his 50 tackles and not much else. Same with Murray on the edge, far more effectivein the middle but Yeo playing better.. I'd probably go with Crichton instead.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Wighton should be left centre. Best defender. Tough. That's how you win Origin.

When I think about who should play for NSW. I think who would Qld pick. There is no way Qld would leave their toughest, most experienced and best defensive centre for 2 debutantes.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.