Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2022 Rd 8 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

FROG wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:25 pm
Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:46 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:23 pm
President Clinton wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:16 pm Reading in between the lines of Stuart’s comments at the presser, I think he is alluding to the fact his players aren’t talented enough.
Which may be a perfectly reasonable excuse 1 or 2 years in for the dolphins, but not for us sorry. These are players who have either been in the club for a number of years or have been recruited by the club. It’s on you and Don Rick.
It's his squad.
If it's not good enough, it's on him and he lose his job.

But he wont, he'll sadly be given the opportunity to rebuild it.
Who would you put in his place? Would you give Henry another go? Green? Madge if he were to become available? The depressing part of thinking about punting stick is who would replace him?
What’s your fear Frog? That we’ll go backwards?
Hillsraider
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Hillsraider »

Northern Raider wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:14 pm
Hillsraider wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:56 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:45 pm
dubby wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:41 pm
Drandyt wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:26 pm We need one player with footy smarts to build round - at present I can not think of any of the current players having much footy IQ.

That's our problem
That's on the coach too. Breeding effort players, rather than skill and footy smarts. CNK, Wighton, Schneider, even Rapana and Starling... all effort players

To be fair, Hodgson was a skill player. But an outlier in this team
Good point on the 'effort' players...and even Hodgo was probably more accident than design in terms of just how good he turned out to be.

Of all our shortcomings, the low-footy-IQ one is the key for mine. Both in the coaching and playing ranks.
I'd put Fogarty in the category of having good smarts. Unfortunately we lost him before the season started.
That's fair. Scary to think how much of the combined footy team IQ we lost after he was scratched and Hodgo limped off after 6 min in Rd 1...

...and then Semi got picked
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im putting this out there and understanding it MIGHT come back to haunt me... but im confident enough now... Schneider ain't it.
He's tough and he makes his tackles and i can see a role for him in an NRL squad... im just not seeing anything to say he's even average NRL half.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Seriously, that was so pathetic today.
Could see the loss coming even when we had the 8 point lead, just kept inviting them back.

This warriors team had 70 put on them last week and we couldn’t even put a point on them in the second half.

It shows how far off the pace we are. Get rid of these old losers and start the rebuild. 2019 was so close, it may be another 25 years until we get another chance.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

Botman wrote:Im putting this out there and understanding it MIGHT come back to haunt me... but im confident enough now... Schneider ain't it.
He's tough and he makes his tackles and i can see a role for him in an NRL squad... im just not seeing anything to say he's even average NRL half.
I agree Botman, I said it during the game that I know he is young and our only option at the moment but he is very average.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:51 pm
Botman wrote:Im putting this out there and understanding it MIGHT come back to haunt me... but im confident enough now... Schneider ain't it.
I agree Botman, I said it during the game that I know he is young and our only option at the moment but he is very average.

I take GE's point about how little football and developement he's had in the last few years. And that sucks.
But his processing is so slow, his passing is glacier pace. He cant read anything. Right now he's just a tackling bag for teams, they're jamming up on him and bashing him

And i give him a TON of credit. The guy is tough as nails. He makes his tackles. Defensively he's really sound and that'll keep him in an NRL squad for a good period of time. A half who you can trust to just make his tackles will stick around as a back up half in the league.

But he's not it. Im fairly confident about that. He's not our halfback of the future.
I dont know that he'd suceed, but i think his best hope is to hit the protein powders, bulk up and have a crack at #13. He doesnt have the instincts, or skill to be a good NRL halfback imo
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:58 pm

I take GE's point about how little football and developement he's had in the last few years. And that sucks.
But his processing is so slow, his passing is glacier pace. He cant read anything. Right now he's just a tackling bag for teams, they're jamming up on him and bashing him

And i give him a TON of credit. The guy is tough as nails. He makes his tackles. Defensively he's really sound and that'll keep him in an NRL squad for a good period of time. A half who you can trust to just make his tackles will stick around as a back up half in the league.

But he's not it. Im fairly confident about that. He's not our halfback of the future.
I dont know that he'd suceed, but i think his best hope is to hit the protein powders, bulk up and have a crack at #13. He doesnt have the instincts, or skill to be a good NRL halfback imo
He’s also behind a pack laying zero platform. That said I’m keen to start seeing a lot more from him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont feel like the forwards lacked a platform today
They put in. They gave the team enough opportunities to put points on. We werent good enough.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Too early to pass judgement on Schneider..
Baby bath water IMO..
I want to see a coaching change before I judge any of the younger players.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I was pretty happy to lose that one…. What happened in the press conference?

Did Rocky have another cheap shot at the fans? God I hope so
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:07 pm Too early to pass judgement on Schneider..
Baby bath water IMO..
Any new coach worth their salt would look at our sitiation and quite rightly not bother about throwing out the bath water, but just pull the plug.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:11 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:07 pm Too early to pass judgement on Schneider..
Baby bath water IMO..
Any new coach worth their salt would look at our sitiation and quite rightly not bother about throwing out the bath water, but just pull the plug.
I have no doubt that some of our players are not up to standard and playing in the wrong positions. It’s the older brigade IMO…the class of 2019.
I wouldn’t be in a hurry to judge a lot of the younger crop.
Halfback is arguably the worst position when it comes to talent pool in the NRL.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:I was pretty happy to lose that one…. What happened in the press conference?

No, from the snippet I saw he actually apologised to the fans.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:18 pm
Baby bath water IMO..
I have no doubt that some of our players are not up to standard and playing in the wrong positions. It’s the older brigade IMO…the class of 2019.
Halfback is arguably the worst position when it comes to talent pool in the NRL.
Agreed but he's not it. Im telling you now he doesnt have the skills or instincts to be an NRL half.
i truly hope this **** is pinned to my grave stone, when he wins up multiple premierships and is an elite NRL half... but i dont see it at all
He's tough as all hell and very likeable

He's not good enough to be an quality NRL halfback. Not under this coach. Or any. Not talented/skillful enough.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Hillsraider wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:53 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 30, 2022, 6:14 pm
dubby wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:53 pm
-PJ- wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:49 pm And when did Tim-o-ko become Timmi-kaur ?
I suspect his name has always been correctly pronounced as have Rapana, Cotric and Papall. You do have to wonder how these guys come through our system, make debuts, do media, establish themselves and then we find out the club never actually asked them the simple courtesy of how to pronounce their names.
Papalii played for ten years until he decided to make a correction

I bet all blokes are pronouncing dubby wrong....it's prounced dubois.

And I bet Billy Walker is pronounced wrong too.
Yeah I’m not overly surprised. I knew this Tongan lady Mary who told us after 2 years of knowing her that her name was Mele. She figured it was easier going along with it than correcting people. Even then she was worried after 2 years whether it was too late and the horse had bolted.
As someone who now goes by the name of 'Bob' when ordering my coffees because I'm tired of hearing them butcher my real name (not particularly tricky, but is 'ethnic'), I can attest the struggle is real!

As for the players now asking for their names to be pronounced correctly, I guess they were putting up with it as I do, until one day one of them (can't remember who was first - Papa?) got the commentators et al to pronounce it correctly. And some of the others looked at it at thought 'ooh, waiter I'll have one of those, please'! Fair play.
Some people just want to live in a world where Greg Alexander can spend 80 minutes pronouncing Māori as Mau-ree and not be called out for it. Change is tough I guess, but I can't understand why anyone would choose to mispronounce names when the correct pronunciation has been pointed out to them.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Gee maybe we arent as bad as everyone thinks.... cowboys beat us twice and they are carving up the eels...
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I really don't see him as a 13. Zero punch in his running game despite having a reasonable frame. It's hit the stage where you just feel bad for him when he's belted 2 or 3 times a week. Agree he doesn't look like he has much promise at NRL level - keen to see him have a stint in NSW Cup and come again next season at some stage though.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Wheres dave shillington nowadays? We need him to bring the unrest to the public eye, if it wasnt for him dave wouldnt of got sacked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:29 pm

I really don't see him as a 13. Zero punch in his running game despite having a reasonable frame. It's hit the stage where you just feel bad for him when he's belted 2 or 3 times a week. Agree he doesn't look like he has much promise at NRL level - keen to see him have a stint in NSW Cup and come again next season at some stage though.
Im not saying he's a sure bet at #13, or even a good bet
but i think it might be his best bet. He's not an NRL half though, that i feel really confident in. Too slow as an athlete and as a game processor. Even his ball distribution, not even ball playing, is a glacier pace. He's not an NRL half imo. He's probably not a #13 either but thats his best bet
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:02 pm
sprintman wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:00 pm Who was our best today?
Adam Elliot followed by daylight
It's funny but not funny that he gives as good or better service than Tommy.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

Boomercm wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:02 pm
sprintman wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:00 pm Who was our best today?
Adam Elliot followed by daylight
It's funny but not funny that he gives as good or better service than Tommy.
There was no doubt he was better today
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Today was rock bottom.

Or maybe Friday will be.

Our attack is simply awful, Schneider is going backwards sadly.

We don’t have a hooker who can play 80 or even close to it.

Our defence is very hard to trust.

We just have a losing mentality. At 20-18 you just KNEW we wouldn’t win.
the drunk
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: ron giteau

Post by the drunk »

Seriously the half backs a kid. Writing him off after 7 games is a bit arrogant.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:02 pm I think Ricky will hire the overhead projector from the Parramatta Club basement and give the players some home truths when they get back to Canberra.
It’s not all the players’ fault. By no means is it all the players’ fault. Some accountability needs to be taken by coaches and management.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:23 pm
Baby bath water IMO..
Agreed but he's not it. Im telling you now he doesnt have the skills or instincts to be an NRL half.
i truly hope this **** is pinned to my grave stone, when he wins up multiple premierships and is an elite NRL half... but i dont see it at all

He's not good enough to be an quality NRL halfback. Not under this coach. Or any. Not talented/skillful enough.
Ok, get this pinned to your gravestone then... you say he doesn't have the skills or instincts to be an NRL half - I say you are possibly wrong (because neither you or I can predict the future, unless it's halftime in a Raiders game). I think he has shown improvement in every game this year, one after another. Today he was clearly more involved, including throwing a pas in each of our tries. You've recognised his defence. His kicks were a hell of a lot better than Wighton's. His running was marginally better (in that he made a couple of yards more) than it has been in previous weeks.

He's played what, nine first grade games? He's expected to overcall against Dally-M winning Mongo? He's 21 years old. As I'm sure you know not many halves are great at that age. I think he's doing alright. He's one of our lesser problems.

In fact, maybe if we're serious about a rebuild he's the start of it, because I like what I see from him. It's the supporting cast and the coach that suck.
greeneyed
Don Furner

2022 Rd 8 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:26 pm
Hillsraider wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:53 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 30, 2022, 6:14 pm
dubby wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:53 pm

I suspect his name has always been correctly pronounced as have Rapana, Cotric and Papall. You do have to wonder how these guys come through our system, make debuts, do media, establish themselves and then we find out the club never actually asked them the simple courtesy of how to pronounce their names.
Papalii played for ten years until he decided to make a correction

I bet all blokes are pronouncing dubby wrong....it's prounced dubois.

And I bet Billy Walker is pronounced wrong too.
Yeah I’m not overly surprised. I knew this Tongan lady Mary who told us after 2 years of knowing her that her name was Mele. She figured it was easier going along with it than correcting people. Even then she was worried after 2 years whether it was too late and the horse had bolted.
As someone who now goes by the name of 'Bob' when ordering my coffees because I'm tired of hearing them butcher my real name (not particularly tricky, but is 'ethnic'), I can attest the struggle is real!

As for the players now asking for their names to be pronounced correctly, I guess they were putting up with it as I do, until one day one of them (can't remember who was first - Papa?) got the commentators et al to pronounce it correctly. And some of the others looked at it at thought 'ooh, waiter I'll have one of those, please'! Fair play.
Some people just want to live in a world where Greg Alexander can spend 80 minutes pronouncing Māori as Mau-ree and not be called out for it. Change is tough I guess, but I can't understand why anyone would choose to mispronounce names when the correct pronunciation has been pointed out to them.
Of course we should pronounce the names correctly, and as requested by the players. But I can assure you, I actually asked the Raiders how Josh Papalii wanted his name to be pronounced and it was pap-ar-lee. He said it that way. For a long time, every player has been asked how they wanted their name to be pronounced, and this was included in the official guide printed at the start of every season for the commentators, media and public. Josh Papalii changed his request a year or two ago. CNK, CHN, Rapana, Cotric all changed their requests. The guide sadly fell by the wayside during the pandemic. Timoko probably made his debut post the guide.

But we shouldn’t be blaming anyone for pronouncing the names as the players asked. If they change the request, great. But all people have been doing before is pronouncing the names as requested. Now, we should just say it how they now want.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: April 30, 2022, 11:25 pm
Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:23 pm
Baby bath water IMO..

Ok, get this pinned to your gravestone then... you say he doesn't have the skills or instincts to be an NRL half - I say you are possibly wrong (because neither you or I can predict the future, unless it's halftime in a Raiders game). I think he has shown improvement in every game this year, one after another. Today he was clearly more involved, including throwing a pas in each of our tries. You've recognised his defence. His kicks were a hell of a lot better than Wighton's. His running was marginally better (in that he made a couple of yards more) than it has been in previous weeks.

He's played what, nine first grade games? He's expected to overcall against Dally-M winning Mongo? He's 21 years old. As I'm sure you know not many halves are great at that age. I think he's doing alright. He's one of our lesser problems.

In fact, maybe if we're serious about a rebuild he's the start of it, because I like what I see from him. It's the supporting cast and the coach that suck.
Far, far too early to make a call on Schneider.
greeneyed
Don Furner

2022 Rd 8 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote:I see Timoko has no sought to have his name pronounced correctly. Papalli, Cotric and Rapana have all done similar. So here’s an idea Raiders head office - why not ask these blokes how to pronounce their names and run with that from the start!
They did. It was the players who changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I don't think Schneider is our long term answer - unpopular opinion but I gave my views 2 weeks ago

Another unpopular opinion - I don't think Starling is our long term solution at hooker. We actually went backwards when he came on the field. For a hooker, he's got one of the worst passing games. He's at best a 20 min Kurt Baptiste.

I also think Rapana and Cotric are past it

Our spine is the worst in the NRL
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote:
Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 6:06 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:53 pm
Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:47 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:27 pm It’s not just the losses…they only add to increase the pressure…not fun for fans I agree..

It’s the gutless, cowardice, boring style of football we play. Tell me..do you actually like our style of play?

It’s the garbage recruitment record and the failure to develop players to play the brand of football to win under the current rules…

The losses are just a byproduct and hopefully draw the media’s attention to our problems.
I’ve my opinions on our coach and our level of play very clear :lol:

I’m not saying this as a defence of the coach.
We have fans hoping we lose games because they think it will increase the chances of Stuart being sacked. I’m simply saying IMO, loses won’t put Stuart under pressure

If you want Stuart gone, you should be cheering for roof top cruisers and walk outs by players.
Winning football games right now does nothing for us long term.
You know it.
Otherwise, your telling me Ricky will defy history and turn this **** around…
Do you believe that?
You’re just full steam ahead right now
Take a deep breathe and read my posts lol

I’m not defending Stuart or professing any belief in him as a coach. I’m telling you it will be mass culture/player revolt that gets him out, not losses.
Loses without the mass player revolt will simply result in Stuart replacing the players and a new era begins
The same CEO sacked his brother..
I don’t think it will need cruisers on rooftops to see Ricky out.
I suspect some type of ‘settlement’ where he is paid to leave end of this season while we find the next coach is very possible given the relationship between the coach and CEO.
At the end of the day, the CEO will feel the pressure to act if the losses and miserable style of football persists.
Hence my thoughts on the losses being “good” for us right now.
Don Furner didn’t sack his brother. The board did. Only the board takes a decision like that. Don, sadly, had to tell his brother he’d been sacked, sadly because that’s a tough thing to do., not because it wasn’t the correct decision. The CEO is there to implement board decisions of this nature, nothing more.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I was pretty happy to lose that one…. What happened in the press conference?

He apologised to the loyal, fans, the real fans, any that are left.

“for any loyal fan, any real fan we have got left, I feel really embarrassed and sorry for them.”

That was the shot at the fans.

twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Any comment on this game has to start with the necessary context - the Warriors were appalling. Reece Walsh looked borderline embarrassed to be congratulated by the commentary team after full time. In spite of our errors we still had enough footy to have won the game twice over.

Adam Elliot deserves credit for a good game, but the hooker experiment seems like fool's gold to me. We had all the ball to start the game and the Warriors ruck defense was horrendous. The important point here is that Starling is simply not an 80 minute player, I'd rather us be focused on finding a genuine solution rather than stop gaps like Elliot and Frawley.

Speaking of stop gaps, Rapana is and always has been a very ordinary fullback. The argument that Savage isn't ready may have some merit, but what is obviously meritless is the idea that our club is somehow benefiting from him catching a cold on the wing while Rapa and CNK lose us matches in the 1 jersey.

Even by Ricky's standards, the use of CNK in 14 is beyond insane. It makes no sense to pick him, but if you're going to do it then you can't leave in on the pine when the fullback is struggling and the team is getting run over. Terrible coaching.

Lastly, in light of the above we have to persist with Schneider - we really don't have any reason not to - but I would agree with other posters that he's a mile off right now. He's been really brave in a tough situation, but for any young half you want to see at least flashes with the ball in hand. Right now his short kicking game is well below NRL standard (and we're paying a price for it), his running game is non-existent, and defenses have quickly realised that if you rush him for time it shuts down our entire right side attack. I think he might benefit from a simpler structure - getting the ball more often at first receiver rather than from one of the forwards - but either way he has a long way to go. Hopefully we see at least some sparks in coming weeks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2022, 1:18 am
gergreg wrote:

He apologised to the loyal, fans, the real fans, any that are left.

“for any loyal fan, any real fan we have got left, I feel really embarrassed and sorry for them.”

That was the shot at the fans.

Correct, the subtext is that there are many real and loyal fans because the majority dare to question our performance and don’t just blindly follow. I thought it was quite a shot at the fans but perhaps others didn’t interpret it that way.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Neeeegz wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:22 pm Very disappointing to say the least, but I didn't even swear, I expected it, and still watched it all.
One thing to note is jacks eyes in the press conference. Blinking a lot, like mine did when I was 15 and slipped and experienced a significant head injury, concussion and 4 days of amnesia, it took 2 years of wearing glasses to correct it, I'm saying jacks been concussed at some stage and needs some time off.. im not a doctor, just personal experience, I was also told to never play footy again
Jacks been blinking like that for over 10 years.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

-PJ- wrote: May 1, 2022, 6:10 am
Neeeegz wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:22 pm Very disappointing to say the least, but I didn't even swear, I expected it, and still watched it all.
One thing to note is jacks eyes in the press conference. Blinking a lot, like mine did when I was 15 and slipped and experienced a significant head injury, concussion and 4 days of amnesia, it took 2 years of wearing glasses to correct it, I'm saying jacks been concussed at some stage and needs some time off.. im not a doctor, just personal experience, I was also told to never play footy again
Jacks been blinking like that for over 10 years.
I thought it looked a lot worse yesterday