Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors
Saturday 30 April, 3:00pm
Dolphin Oval, Redcliffe
Gates open: 11:45am
Redcliffe Dolphins V Townsville Blackhawks 12:15pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Shower or two. Partly cloudy. The chance of morning fog. Medium chance of showers, most likely in the late morning and afternoon. Light winds. Chance of rain: 70 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 2 mm Min 19 Max 26

The Canberra Raiders are on a four game losing streak - and are back "on the road" in Round 8 for a clash with the New Zealand Warriors at their temporary home, Redcliffe.

Last round: 2022 Round 7. Penrith Panthers 36 - Canberra Raiders 6. The Canberra Raiders came ready to play. They were determined and showed intent in their defence. The attack was conservative, the aim to keep errors low. It offered little threat. The tactics were to get in the grind. The Raiders were certainly in the game at half time, trailing 14-6. It had been six apiece at the 30 minute mark. But the Panthers strangled the Raiders in the second half - trapping the visitors at their own end for virtually the entire 40 minutes. At times, the Raiders were being forced to kick from their own 10 metre line. And when the Raiders' defence finally cracked, the dam wall broke.

More on Round 7: As I saw it

Team news: Canberra Raiders captain Elliott Whitehead (facial injury) returns in the second row, with Corey Harawira-Naera dropping to the bench. Adam Elliott was a late inclusion at starting lock against the Panthers, but Ryan Sutton has been named at No. 13. Last week's debutant, Harry Rushton, is the 18th man.

Winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak suffered a serious head knock in the Warriors' loss to the Storm on Monday night, while forward Josh Curran left the field with a suspected medial ligament injury. Both have been ruled out, while forward Aaron Pene has been suspended for a high tackle on Reimis Smith. Kodi Nikorima is out, due to a positive COVID test. Ben Murdoch-Masila (leg) and former Raider Jack Murchie (calf) return from injury. Rocco Berry replaces Watene-Zelezniak while Viliame Vailea comes in on the other wing. Bayley Sironen fills in for Curran. New signing Daejarn Asi from the Cowboys is included as a reserve.

Late changes: Canberra Raiders captain Elliott Whitehead was ruled out on Friday afternoon. He's been given more time to recover from a facial injury. Adam Elliott will replace Whitehead in the starting team, with Harry Rushton coming in on the bench. Jack Wighton will again step in as acting captain. Matt Frawley and Trey Mooney remain on the reserves list for Canberra. The Warriors announced on Thursday that Chanel Harris-Tavita (groin) has been ruled out for three to four weeks. Daejarn Asi will debut in his place.

History: Canberra has won 25 of 46 games played against the Warriors. The Raiders have won three of the past five matches between the clubs - and six of the last 10. In In Round 3 last year, the Raiders led 25-6 at home at half time, before the Warriors staged a comeback to win by three points, 34-31. The NRL later admitted that a Warriors try in the 59th minute to Ben Murdoch-Masila should have been disallowed, due to a forward pass from Kodi Nikorima. The Raiders got some late season revenge and kept their finals hopes alive, with a 28-16 win over the Warriors in Mackay. The two teams have never previously met at Redcliffe.

2021 Round 24 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

2021 Round 3 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

2020 Round 19 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

2020 Round 2 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

Form: Raiders: WLLLL
Warriors: WWWLL

The Warriors are coming off back to back losses. They lost to the Roosters, 22-14, at the Sydney Cricket Ground in Round 6. They followed that up with their biggest ever loss - falling to the Storm, 70-10, on Anzac Day in Melbourne. After losing in the opening two rounds, the Warriors strung three wins together against the Tigers(16-12), Broncos (20-6) and Cowboys (25-24).

Betting: The Raiders are slight $1.80 favourites, with the Warriors paying $2.00. The Warriors have 1.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: After conceding 13 tries to the Melbourne Storm, the Warriors have the worst defensive record in the league. But the Raiders are not much better. They've conceded 29 tries this year, compared with 32 for the Warriors. Only the Broncos have conceded more running metres than the Warriors in 2022. Surprisingly, the Raiders are in the middle of the pack in that department.

The Green Machine's attack is spluttering. Only the Bulldogs and Tigers have scored fewer tries. The Warriors aren't much better, ranking 12th in attack. The Raiders and Warriors are bottom of the table for running metres. Both teams are also bottom four in terms of line breaks, while the Warriors are last for tackle breaks and second last for offloads. Canberra reduced its error count last week, but have the lowest completion rate in the competition, along with the Rabbitohs.

Despite being last for running metres gained, the Raiders have not been compensating with their kicking game. They kick less than any other team, and only the Rabbitohs have made fewer kicking metres.

2022 Season record: Raiders 2 and 5 (15th, -82)
Warriors 2 and 4 (11th, -63)

Attack: Raiders 13 points and 2 tries scored per match, ranked 14th on tries scored
Warriors 17 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 12th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 25 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 14th on fewest tries conceded
Warriors 26 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 16th on fewest tries conceded

Completion rate: Raiders 71 per cent, Warriors 77 per cent

Running: Raiders 1164 running metres per match
Warriors 1222 running metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 29, Warriors 20 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 3, Warriors 3 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Warriors 2 per match

Offloads: Raiders 12, Warriors 6 per match

Kicking: Raiders 433 kicking metres per match
Warriors 520 kicking metres per match

Tackling: Raiders 89 per cent tackle efficiency
Warriors 88 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1388 running metres conceded per match
Warriors 1497 running metres conceded per match

Errors: Raiders 11, Warriors 11 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 7, Warriors 7 per match

Key match-ups:

Jordan Rapana and Reece Walsh: A 32 year old veteran who has played 164 NRL games versus a 19 year old with 22 appearances to his name. Jordan Rapana shifted to fullback last week - and he was sound, as he always is when he plays in the No. 1 jersey. He was safe under the high ball and there's no doubt he gets involved. He made five tackle breaks. But with the Raiders spending much of the game trapped on their own line, he didn't make much in the way of running metres (52) or kick return metres (nine). The problem is, that like the player he replaced, ball playing isn't a particular strength. This year, Reece Walsh has three try assists, three line breaks, 30 tackle breaks and averaged 155 running metres. He is an excitement machine with the ball in hand, but his defence can be an issue. He's got eight try causes in 2022.

Xavier Savage and Rocco Berry: Two 20 year old wingers. Xavier Savage has just five NRL appearances, including two this year. He played off the bench in Round 6 and started on the wing last week against the Panthers. It was the sort of game where none of the Raiders back five made any metres, due to a lack of possession and territory. He only made 39 running metres and came up with a couple of errors. But he has huge potential and serious speed, so it is good to again see him eased into the NRL on the wing. Rocco Berry has 11 NRL appearances and three, at centre, this year. He's a junior rugby union player, and the son of an All Black, Marty Berry. He's averaged 90 running metres and made three tackle breaks and one line break. It'll be interesting to see what the two youngsters produce at Redcliffe.

Josh Papalii and Addin Fonua-Blake: Ever since one day at Canberra Stadium, when Addin Fonua-Blake mocked the crowd, the Warriors prop hasn't been too popular among the Raiders faithful. That day he was with the Sea Eagles, but now he's the forward leader at the Warriors. Fonua-Blake has the better numbers than Josh Papalii so far this year. Fonua-Blake is averaging 152 running metres per game and has produced 18 tackle breaks and two offloads. Papalii was the only player who broke through the 100 metres gained mark for the Raiders last week. But his running metres are way down in 2022 (115 per game). He's also got 16 tackle breaks and 10 offloads. Papalii is probably a little more sound defensively. His tackle efficiency rate is very nearly 100 per cent (97 per cent for Fonua-Blake).

My tip: Both teams will be desperate to bounce back after poor results last week. After a 60 point loss for the Warriors, the Raiders are probably justified slight favourites. But neither team is performing. Coach Ricky Stuart said the Raiders produced their best 50 minutes of football this season against the Panthers. That's an improvement on the good 40 minutes of footy they've played in other games, I guess. The issue for the Raiders is what is happening in the other 30-40 minutes. It is difficult to know which version of these two teams will turn up on Saturday. Flip of the coin. But I'll say Raiders by two.

What they're saying:

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart on last week's NRL debut of Harry Rushton: "It didn't come into my line of thought at all that it was going to be too big a challenge for him. It was right down his alley. He's a tough kid and he's got a lot of first grade in front of him. He's a bloke who's just going to keep on growing and developing with the game."

Corey Harawira-Naera on the need to improve discipline after the loss to the Panthers: "I don't want to blame the ref, but the penalty count in the second half definitely didn't help us. A lot of it was ill discipline, but there was a lot of 50-50s that could've gone our way as well. We can only control what we can, but we still made it tough on ourselves. One thing we can be better at is our discipline."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matt Timoko
4. Semi Valemei
5. Xavier Savage
6. Jack Wighton (c)
7. Brad Schneider
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Joe Tapine
11. Hudson Young
16. Adam Elliott
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
15. Corey Harawira-Naera
17. Corey Horsburgh
18. Harry Rushton

19. Matt Frawley
22. Trey Mooney

Injury/Suspension

Elliott Whitehead, Face (Rd 9)
Jamal Fogarty, Knee (Rd 15-17)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)

New Zealand Warriors

1. Reece Walsh
2. Rocco Berry
3. Jesse Arthars
4. Adam Pompey
5. Viliami Vailea
21. Daejarn Asi
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake (c)
9. Wayde Egan
10. Matt Lodge
11. Euan Aitken
12. Bayley Sironen
13. Jazz Tevaga

14. Taniela Otukolo
15. Bunty Afoa
16. Eliesa Katoa
17. Jack Murchie

18. Edward Kosi
20. Ben Murdoch-Masila

Injury/Suspension

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Head knock (TBC)
Josh Curran, Knee (TBC)
Marcelo Montoya, Suspension (Rd 10)
Chanel Harris-Tavita, Groin (Rd 10-11)
Ash Taylor, Hip (Indefinite)
Tohu Harris, Knee (Mid-season)
Tom Ale, Knee (Mid-season)

Officials

Referee: Chris Butler
Touch judges: Tyson Brough, Nick Morel
Video referee: Steve Chiddy

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLWarriorsRaiders
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2022 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: 2022 Rd 8 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders💚💚
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This has potential to be our best 50 minutes of the season.

In our faces…
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

This will be one for the ages!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I look forward to our boys dishing up another pile of mediocrity today at best, and then an associate of the club posting on the forum on Mondays telling us to suck eggs and to stop hurting their feelings.

#bleedgreen

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’ll be disappointed if anyone attending the game hasn’t already purchased their protest potatoes to take to the game.
FastandMean
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by FastandMean »

The Warriors are paying $2 to pick up a win…..

The only thing I’m looking forward to today is doubling my money.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Billy Walker wrote:I’ll be disappointed if anyone attending the game hasn’t already purchased their protest potatoes to take to the game.
Same.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
This place is woke.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Panthers gave us a good guide of where we are in relation to top teams- not even close, barely playing the same game.

What I'd hope now is a chance just to see Schneider play behind a team that makes yards at times. We should have him kicking a little bit more- it's foolish to ask Jack to do it all and Schneider needs to start building a bit more. Sharing some kicking duties would be a start.

I'm actually really glad Rushton gets another go- even if it's more through good luck than good management.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Next week is the end of the road.

Bulldogs Friday night, lose that and I’m done.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:Next week is the end of the road.

I don’t think I’m even going to watch this one today, they lost me when the coach and then a high profile player took thinly veiled shots at the fans in press conferences and interviews.

I can handle poor football, I can even handle losing, but I can’t handle that sort of garbage.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:56 am

I don’t think I’m even going to watch this one today, they lost me when the coach and then a high profile player took thinly veiled shots at the fans in press conferences and interviews.

I can handle poor football, I can even handle losing, but I can’t handle that sort of garbage.
I’ve never felt so flat Nickman.

It’s so so frustrating considering where we were just 2-3 years ago.

So flat. I’m numb with it all.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

It’s extraordinary right. There is almost an expectation that the fans are expected to fall in behind the club and blame the refs, the NRL, the unconscious bias and unlucky bounce of the ball after a loss. Heaven forbid should the fans question if a bit of success might be on the cards. We’re all a bunch of know nothing couch potatoes that pressured poor Ricky to play Savage sooner than he hoped. :rant
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-PJ- wrote: April 30, 2022, 10:07 am

I’ve never felt so flat Nickman.

It’s so so frustrating considering where we were just 2-3 years ago.

So flat. I’m numb with it all.
But the garage door still goes up right? What time?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

They are hurting guys, and they are emos that sook because of social media insults and start to call club supporters potatoes, cmon warriors.

This place is woke.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

More good for the club if we lose today and next week.. amplify the pressure on Ricky.. anyone who truly knows the mess we're in and loves this club would want us to lose today.. lets gone warriors
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

What a sad state of affairs when the clubs own supports start backing the opposition.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

A win is still a loss in this mire.

This place is woke.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Sad but I hope we cop a flogging. It might finally get the board to open their eyes…
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

radicalraider wrote: April 30, 2022, 11:04 am More good for the club if we lose today and next week.. amplify the pressure on Ricky.. anyone who truly knows the mess we're in and loves this club would want us to lose today.. lets gone warriors
Controversial view - but I can see where you are coming from. Sometimes something needs to be properly broken before it can be fixed.

You would hope the Raiders board would have the awareness to take action before the fan base became this disenfranchised with the team. As much as I’d expect players to avoid fan websites I’d hope club management was keeping a keen eye on the sentiments of the key stakeholders. Don if you’re reading mate, you need to pull the cord on Rick as you fall on your own sword - it’s the honourable thing!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Hope to see Rapa celebrating again like hes won the big dance after we score from a flop over the line because the defender has (a) fallen over or (b) fallen asleep.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m expecting a big one from Cotric today - at least 2 carries per half and 50+ meters please!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I feel a short term period of depression coming on. Thankfully will pass after about 2 hours.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

wait, what is a protest potato?
Is that better than a protest egg?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Shiv wrote: April 30, 2022, 1:00 pm wait, what is a protest potato?
Is that better than a protest egg?
When you coach is a spud, the fans are being called couch potatoes and the team needs a good roasting it’s only fitting that the fans turn to protest potatoes.

Wave them above your head, sit them outside the coaches box - be imaginative. Probably don’t throw them at anyone.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Well said, Nick. Seriously, the noise around the Raiders performances has been complete claptrap recently.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Ha ha love this potato stuff,it's a pity it's soo true though :lol:
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

C’Mon Raiders!!!
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

The Green Hornet wrote:What a sad state of affairs when the clubs own supports start backing the opposition.
Normally, I would completely agree with this, but our current situation is much more complex. I am not sure that a win helps the long term health of the club as it will, undeservedly and undoubtably, relieve pressure on the coach who already seems immune to criticism and unaccountable to the club's poor performances and overall collapse.

The idea of fans accepting (or even hoping?) for a loss wouldn't be an issue at most clubs as there would be an acceptable amount of pressure being applied to the underperforming coach and players publicly.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Someone needs to photoshop a raiders jersey on to mr potato head and use it as the GH's profile picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and New Zealand Warriors at Redcliffe. Kick off is at 3:00pm.

Here are the final teams. Some shocks!

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matt Timoko
4. Semi Valemei
5. Xavier Savage
6. Jack Wighton (c)
7. Brad Schneider
8. Josh Papalii
16. Adam Elliott
10. Joe Tapine
11. Hudson Young
15. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Ryan Sutton

9. Tom Starling
14. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
17. Corey Horsburgh
18. Harry Rushton

19. Matt Frawley

New Zealand Warriors

1. Reece Walsh
3. Jesse Arthars
2. Rocco Berry
5. Viliami Vailea
4. Adam Pompey
21. Daejarn Asi
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake (c)
9. Wayde Egan
10. Matt Lodge
11. Euan Aitken
12. Bayley Sironen
13. Jazz Tevaga

15. Bunty Afoa
16. Eliesa Katoa
17. Jack Murchie
20. Ben Murdoch-Masila

14. Taniela Otukolo
The Greenhouse score update service
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Adam Elliott at 9 🤣
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Adam Elliott to start at hooker, or as Stuart likes to call it - ball chucker.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Wow. AE at 9 by choice. This outta be good. Luke Bateman level good.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 30, 2022, 2:07 pm Adam Elliott to start at hooker, or as Stuart likes to call it - ball chucker.
:lol: