Warriors 13+
29%

Total votes: 14

Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

2022 Rd 8 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by Elcaptcroker »

The Nickman wrote:Haha so you’re saying Hodgson should’ve gone harder?

Righto then....
100% make it so obvious that that there is onething seriously wrong and tell the world that its either the coach or the players, dont put in half games then give up and stay quiet,id rather the team take ownership that their phoning it in or are un happy with whats happening, then play 40 minutes serve up drivel and nothing said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 Rd 8 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

NRL head of football Graham Annesley defends refs over decisive penalties against Raiders

NRL head of football Graham Annesley has defended two key refereeing decisions involving New Zealand Warriors prop Matt Lodge during Canberra's narrow defeat on Saturday.

"It's very difficult to accuse a player of lying down, because obviously I don't know whether he was injured in a tackle or not," Annesley said of the Horsburgh incident. "There was some contact with the head and I've often said that if your target area is in that upper part of the shoulders, then you're at risk of being penalised."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Oh, **** off Annesley.

If it was that bad Lodge should have been off for a HIA.

He didn't go off, because it wasn't, because he's a EDIT.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Johno wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:10 pm I dont like him
I dont like his arrogance
I dont like how he was coach of a team 'busted' for drug usage
But Id like him as a coach for Canberra Raiders now

Shane Flanagan
Sign Flanno up now!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kryptonite wrote: May 2, 2022, 6:49 pm
Johno wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:10 pm I dont like him
I dont like his arrogance
I dont like how he was coach of a team 'busted' for drug usage
But Id like him as a coach for Canberra Raiders now

Shane Flanagan
Sign Flanno up now!
You left out salary cap cheating... and even cheating on his suspension. I think the chance the Raiders board appoints the bloke is just about zero.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

win at all costs

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: May 2, 2022, 7:25 pm win at all costs

Not the Raider way.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:

Not the Raider way.
What... winning?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

2022 Rd 8 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by BJ »

raiderskater wrote:Oh, **** off Annesley.

Why does Annesley consistently twist and turn his reasoning between obvious poor decisions that go against the Raiders, whilst admitting errors against some of the big names teams and players. He’s called other decisions incorrect around diving and Lodge’s was about as clear as you get.

Last season he couldn’t admit to a miles forward pass that was clear to even opposing fans, but then he comes out and calls some other passes that looked reasonably flat as being forward, or that Turbo pass to Garrick against Eels as incorrectly called forward (despite it appearing to travel very slightly forward based on the 20m line).

It just feels to me that he cherry picks when to admit referee mistakes. And that’s affected other low profile teams and players not just Raiders.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol: that's classic GH nonsense. It just feels that way to you because you're invested in the Raiders... do you even listen to him talk about this week in and week unless you're looking for some thing regarding the Raiders?

I'd wager if you actually charted decisions Annesley has discussed by team and when he says they got it right or wrong, you'd find absolutely ZERO correlation between low and high profile teams... but its something you can just throw out there with ZERO evidence to back it up, just a "feel" and on the GH echo chamber you'll get the validation and move on continue "feeling" aggrieved for no reason :lol:
Last edited by Botman on May 2, 2022, 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

BJ wrote: May 2, 2022, 7:58 pm

Why does Annesley consistently twist and turn his reasoning between obvious poor decisions that go against the Raiders, whilst admitting errors against some of the big names teams and players. He’s called other decisions incorrect around diving and Lodge’s was about as clear as you get.

Last season he couldn’t admit to a miles forward pass that was clear to even opposing fans, but then he comes out and calls some other passes that looked reasonably flat as being forward, or that Turbo pass to Garrick against Eels as incorrectly called forward (despite it appearing to travel very slightly forward based on the 20m line).

It just feels to me that he cherry picks when to admit referee mistakes. And that’s affected other low profile teams and players not just Raiders.
It’s called unconscious bias BJ..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote::lol: that's classic GH nonsense. It just feels that way to you because you're invested in the Raiders... do you even listen to him talk about this week in and week unless you're looking for some thing regarding the Raiders?

I'd wager if you actually charted decisions Annesley has discussed by team and when he says they got it right or wrong, you'd find absolutely ZERO correlation between low and high profile teams... but its something you can just throw out there with ZERO evidence to back it up, just a "feel" and on the GH echo chamber you'll get the validation and move on continue "feeling" aggrieved for no reason :lol:
I’d be interested in how often Annesley has had to come out and say one of the decisions was wrong in favour of the Raiders…
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 2, 2022, 8:56 pm
Botman wrote::lol: that's classic GH nonsense. It just feels that way to you because you're invested in the Raiders... do you even listen to him talk about this week in and week unless you're looking for some thing regarding the Raiders?

I’d be interested in how often Annesley has had to come out and say one of the decisions was wrong in favour of the Raiders…

Me too, Gangers
I look forward to seeing BJ crunch the numbers and report back on his claim!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 2, 2022, 7:42 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Not the Raider way.
What... winning?
Cheating. Well not since the salary cap dramas of 1990-91 anyway!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Surely you can admit that it’s impossible to do a correlation when Annesley doesn’t address all the contentious calls and decisions over a full round of matches. That’s a very high bar you set.

I used to watch a fair few of his post game reviews, but they proved hit and miss as to what particular decisions he chose to talk about.

A few times, we had some very contentious calls in our games and Annesley didn’t address them at all, they were totally ignored. But he regularly addressed the decisions that were more high profile in the media or involved more high profile players.

I’ll never ever ever be able to get you to think that’s the way it is, but I definitely reckon that’s the case from what I’ve seen and I’d be interested if other GH posters think Annesley cherry picks which decisions he chooses to discuss in his post match conference.

Decisions involving Tedesco or Turbo have certainly come up plenty of times.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i can certainly admit that it’s impossible to do a correlation on that unless you're willing to do the damn work to back up a totally baseless claim... which is why i found your claim to be so.... vintage GH.

It's just soo easy to throw it out, is it?
And there is no way it'll ever be proved or disproved. So on you march, "feeling" this way with not a shread of evidence to actually validate it. But validated by "other GH posters" who also have this victim mentality. And its not unique... this feel you have, its...

a feel BroncosHQ have
a feel TheKennel have
a feel Jubilee Avenue have
a feel PanthersPride have
a feel the Stampede have
a feel probably the DolphinDive already **** have :lol: (this forum might not exist yet, but it will)

Annesley has supported the Raiders and specifically Stuart in his critcism of officiating against our club MORE than any other in the league! He's an advocate of our club!

See how **** easy it is to throw out completely baseless nonsense that has no evidence?! But go on, prove me wrong! :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:Image that's classic GH nonsense. It just feels that way to you because you're invested in the Raiders... do you even listen to him talk about this week in and week unless you're looking for some thing regarding the Raiders?

I'd wager if you actually charted decisions Annesley has discussed by team and when he says they got it right or wrong, you'd find absolutely ZERO correlation between low and high profile teams... but its something you can just throw out there with ZERO evidence to back it up, just a "feel" and on the GH echo chamber you'll get the validation and move on continue "feeling" aggrieved for no reason Image
TBF when he first took on the job he did actually seem to admit to refereeing blunders but at some point he pulled it back a bit and is now more inclined to back the referees.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:i can certainly admit that it’s impossible to do a correlation on that unless you're willing to do the damn work to back up a totally baseless claim... which is why i found your claim to be so.... vintage GH.

It's just soo easy to throw it out, is it?
And there is no way it'll ever be proved or disproved. So on you march, "feeling" this way with not a shread of evidence to actually validate it. But validated by "other GH posters" who also have this victim mentality. And its not unique... this feel you have, its...

a feel BroncosHQ have
a feel TheKennel have
a feel Jubilee Avenue have
a feel PanthersPride have
a feel the Stampede have
a feel probably the DolphinDive already **** have :lol: (this forum might not exist yet, but it will)

Annesley has supported the Raiders and specifically Stuart in his critcism of officiating against our club MORE than any other in the league! He's an advocate of our club!

See how **** easy it is to throw out completely baseless nonsense that has no evidence?! But go on, prove me wrong! :lol:
There is no “damn work” to do if he doesn’t actually address all the contentious decisions in his review. No one can be willing to do the hard work and watch and record every review Annesley undertook, if he doesn’t actually address all the decisions across all the games in an even fashion.

You don’t seem to be understanding my argument that Annesley cherry picks which decisions to address and often those decisions that he does address are the ones that have been discussed in the News Limited Newspapers, Channel 9 or on Foxtel.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I wish Annesley did have a vendetta against us. With his track record of delivery we'd be able to rely on lopsided penalty accounts weekly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: May 2, 2022, 7:58 pm

He definitely cherry picks. If he thinks he can avoid it, he will, or if he can spin it, he will. He only avoids spin when it is plain as day that there is an error. The issues from our game were clearly controversial and covered extensively in the Sydney media over two days. The fact he thought he could just not deal with them in his briefing reflected his and the NRL's care factor about the Raiders and Warriors. It was just not a priority for him.

Even when asked, about the Horsburgh incident, he refused to admit the process was wrong. It probably should have been called a penalty on field. But it wasn't. The process requires that the bunker must find the incident to be reportable if they're to intervene. The reason for that process is to stop players diving for penalties... which Lodge obviously did. It also clearly wasn't reportable, otherwise the match review committee would have charged Horsburgh. So Lodge and the Warriors were both rewarded by the officials for diving.

And now all of a sudden Annesley says... oh, how do I know if he was injured or not? Well the officials aren't asked to do that. They are asked to examine and assess the nature of the contact.

The bottom line is, the outcome was probably right, but the process was certainly very wrong. And Annesley thought he'd not bother with admitting that the process was wrong. And he still hasn't, even after The Canberra Times had to contact him to ask the question. That was his approach after the 2019 Grand Final, too, btw.

The Lodge elbow? He said it was 50-50 call... but admitted he didn't even review the incident. That was after lots of commentators said he should have been sin binned, if not sent off. It wasn't just on the commentary, there were lots of stories about it too. There has been huge hue and cry about players not being binned or sent off for foul play in recent weeks... but for this incident? He didn't even take the time to review it!

So BJ you are perfectly justified in raising the issue.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote: There is no “damn work” to do if he doesn’t actually address all the contentious decisions in his review. No one can be willing to do the hard work and watch and record every review Annesley undertook, if he doesn’t actually address all the decisions across all the games in an even fashion.

You don’t seem to be understanding my argument that Annesley cherry picks which decisions to address and often those decisions that he does address are the ones that have been discussed in the News Limited Newspapers, Channel 9 or on Foxtel.
If you’re right and you do the “damn work” you would be expecting large teams to be mentioned more often, particularly when the call against them is contentious.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re correct. But an analysis of what he says could definitely prove it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fox Sports power rankings

15. RAIDERS
Last week’s ranking: 12th (down three spots)

The Raiders looked in control of the contest leading the Warriors 20-12 before they again clutched a defeat from the jaws of victory. The amount of match winning leads the Raiders blow is a huge concern. Jack Wighton played well against the Warriors, but the Raiders are missing halfback Jamal Fogarty, who is the playmaker they need to guide them home in tight games and take the pressure off Wighton to be the game manager. Ricky Stuart has abandoned the Jordan Rapana fullback experiment and returned Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad to the No.1 jersey after his bench rotation was criticised in recent weeks. The Raiders need to snap their losing streak against the Bulldogs or it is pretty much curtains for their finals hopes in 2022.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f95e4563cd
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

"Embellishment" is called in the NHL, a similarly "violent" sport, so why can't we do it here?

As has been suggested, if a player is "alleging" injury from contact to the head, it should be an automatic HIA.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

hrundi89 wrote: May 4, 2022, 1:02 pm "Embellishment" is called in the NHL, a similarly "violent" sport, so why can't we do it here?

As has been suggested, if a player is "alleging" injury from contact to the head, it should be an automatic HIA.
So the Warriors would have got a double win out of Lodge laying down?
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Well in the NHL the embellishing player goes to the penalty box for 2 minutes (or until a goal is scored).

It usually gets called when a player takes an obvious dive.

It's a bit harder to call for refs in the NRL given the Lodge situation.

The Bunker could make a judgement call based on the video? No guarantee they would get it right either of course.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2022, 6:44 pm
Doesn't do us any good now but that call was egregious and he should be dropped.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I hope that penalising Tapine for reacting comparatively mildly to an intentional elbow was also part of that discussion.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

What do you have to say about this now Annesley? Defending the video refs call (when it clearly wasn’t a reportable offence) only for Chiddy to be subsequently dropped for it….embarrassing. Raiders had every chance to win so the loss was on them but **** calls like that don’t help….
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

and I’ll add if Lodge was hit high with enough force for it to be a reportable offence he should have gone off for a HIA, which he clearly didn’t. There’d be more force involved in picking his nose than the ‘hit’.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This just rubs salt into our wounds.

We aren’t playing well enough to win games and these decisions are squishing us hard.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Reckon we would've found another way to lose that anyway. It's our thing
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

hrundi89 wrote: May 4, 2022, 4:34 pm Well in the NHL the embellishing player goes to the penalty box for 2 minutes (or until a goal is scored).

It usually gets called when a player takes an obvious dive.

It's a bit harder to call for refs in the NRL given the Lodge situation.

The Bunker could make a judgement call based on the video? No guarantee they would get it right either of course.
Yeah tough one to police. I remember 2003 or 2004 McLinden blatantly staying down was all over the media one week. The best part of twenty years on and here we are.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Annessley should also be dropped for defending the refs… inconsistent again
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!