No votes
Panthers 13+
89%

Total votes: 36

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Re: 2022 Rd 7 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by TongueFTW »

Last year, I very much thought they were arrogant since they hadn’t won anything. Since then, they have won a premiership and been clearly the best team in the competition. They deserve to carry on however they like, now that they have won something. Best way to shut them up is on the field.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote:
Rick wrote: April 23, 2022, 5:17 pm
Sid wrote:Not just me then. He's probably my most hated player at the moment or at least near the top. Something about the smug way he often points and laughs at his opponents leaves a bad taste

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
The whole sid is arrogant AF. Remember the crap with Tapine when he was off the field last year? I’m hoping Tapine has not forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sid, I think he just called you arrogant AF
Shots fired! You gonna take that Sid?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gangrenous wrote:
Finchy wrote:
Sid wrote:Not just me then. He's probably my most hated player at the moment or at least near the top. Something about the smug way he often points and laughs at his opponents leaves a bad taste

The whole sid is arrogant AF. Remember the crap with Tapine when he was off the field last year? I’m hoping Tapine has not forgotten.

glad I'm not the first to notice Sid's behaviour

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

dubby wrote: April 23, 2022, 6:06 pm Panthers act as if they'll be this good forever.

They won't be.

And their lair #6 with his flared nostrils will be forgotten in 10 years
I don't care about them. I am just sick of the mediocrity this club has dished out for 20 odd years now, with the odd flash in a pan season that gives us hope, before we revert to our usual crap again.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Panthers are spending $17m per year to dominate the NRL. Not sure we can compete with that…

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/price- ... 5afi1.html
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

sprintman wrote: April 23, 2022, 8:09 pm Panthers are spending $17m per year to dominate the NRL. Not sure we can compete with that…

I thought there was a football cap....
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders half Brad Schneider has eyes on Nathan Cleary but wants to make own mark

Brad Schneider spent high school watching Nathan Cleary and while he's taken elements from the leading halfback's game, the Canberra Raiders No.7 wants to put his own mark on the NRL.

"Obviously Cleary's only young too, but he's been around a bit. The same with Luai," Schneider said. "I do watch him a fair bit and try and do things he does, but I try to do my own thing as well. I'm my own player and I'll try to make my name for myself."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Rushton’s surprise jersey presentation: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/04 ... sentation/
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Thanks to the tigers beating souths after tomorrow we will be second last

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

With the Tigers getting two gutsy wins against good opposition in Parra and Souths (who we won’t beat), we’re looking closer at that spoon. Tigers are on a roll with Hastings back, and with Doueihi to come back as well they’ll go on a run
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: April 23, 2022, 9:03 pm
sprintman wrote: April 23, 2022, 8:09 pm Panthers are spending $17m per year to dominate the NRL. Not sure we can compete with that…

Im loathe to suggest anyone engage in this click bait, but maybe read the article

1. the football cap is for NRL only
b. the article states clearly the 17m includes everything from Matts to NRL
iii. 12.5m of that is player wages, 10m of which is the NRL salary cap

It's a fluff piece, i'd wager their expenses are not a great deal different to ours. The panthers quite rightly want to toot their own horn but it's the talent that is allowing them to dominate, not drastically out spending other clubs on development.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: April 23, 2022, 6:06 pm Panthers act as if they'll be this good forever.

They won't be.

They wont be THIS good forever, this is a special crop of talent
But the harsh reality is they will always have an absurd level of talent available to them, and so long as they are competently coached and run, and the pathways remain as well run as they are now... they should be a top 8 team every year. EVERY year.

But we know sports clubs are special in their way of finding ways to **** it up... at some point the special talent will move on, the coach goes, a key adminsitrator/scout gets poached or retires and it gets away from them. But it'll never be talent that stops them. The only way they'll go back to being trash is self inflicted injuries
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Botman wrote: April 23, 2022, 9:56 pm

Im loathe to suggest anyone engage in this click bait, but maybe read the article

It's a fluff piece, i'd wager their expenses are not a great deal different to ours. The panthers quite rightly want to toot their own horn but it's the talent that is allowing them to dominate, not drastically out spending other clubs on development.
Thanks for that, didn't want to sign up to read the whole thing

These kind of "own horn tooting " can backfire

If you can spend 18mill a year why do you need the government to pay for your stadium and hq upgrade?

Read an article recently where they were pushing for no professional sport hq and field upgrades but instead improve the local league ones, not a bad idea tbh
Vaccinated
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Salary cap but this is all their teams. What are we spending?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

sprintman wrote: April 23, 2022, 10:16 pm

Salary cap but this is all their teams. What are we spending?
player wages wont be drastically different, it'll basically be the cost of the WNRL, which we're going to be involved in shortly
Otherwise it's all capped and money everyone spends

Medical costs and health fund stuff is probably largely the same for everyone... sometimes you have good years, others you get banged. It all comes out in the wash

Clothing? I dont see any reason why they'd be spending anymore than we do. And it doesnt strike me as something that is going to impact performance either way.

We probably have higher travel expenses. The panthers play a ton of away games within an hour of their front door, we have to travel to every away game

Housing allowances i believe is governed by the cap, id imagine all clubs are maxing that out. Same with meals + entertainment and educational allowances.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL pays travel expenses. Base level anyway. Teams that spend more on their travel have to charge those expenses to the football cap.

Does this story have a list of what every team spends? I can’t imagine the Raiders, now they have a full complement of grades (apart from NRLW) is going to spend much different to the Panthers. Clubs that don’t run all the grades are going to spend less…

This explains what expenses are outside the salary cap: https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

bonehead wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Finchy wrote:

glad I'm not the first to notice Sid's behaviour

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Can’t believe Rick called me out for being arrogant when clearly I’m the best poster going around!

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

cat wrote:

If you can spend 18mill a year why do you need the government to pay for your stadium and hq upgrade?

Read an article recently where they were pushing for no professional sport hq and field upgrades but instead improve the local league ones, not a bad idea tbh
Yeah Peter Fitzsimmons has been pushing this since the SFS / Homebush redevelopments. As much as it hurts me to say, he swung me over.

His view was instead of spending $2b on two stadiums that didn’t really need upgrading, you could spread it over 100 x $10m community projects across the state
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Botman wrote: April 23, 2022, 9:59 pm

They won't be.

They wont be THIS good forever, this is a special crop of talent
But the harsh reality is they will always have an absurd level of talent available to them, and so long as they are competently coached and run, and the pathways remain as well run as they are now... they should be a top 8 team every year. EVERY year.

But we know sports clubs are special in their way of finding ways to **** it up... at some point the special talent will move on, the coach goes, a key adminsitrator/scout gets poached or retires and it gets away from them. But it'll never be talent that stops them. The only way they'll go back to being trash is self inflicted injuries
But they’ve always had a good catchment area at their disposal. Ivan isn’t Bellamy either and we’ll see their current team get picked apart.

I agree they’ll be strong (or at least should be), but we’ve seen how hard it is to go back to back when you have a target on your head.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 24, 2022, 7:57 am
cat wrote:

Yeah Peter Fitzsimmons has been pushing this since the SFS / Homebush redevelopments. As much as it hurts me to say, he swung me over.

His view was instead of spending $2b on two stadiums that didn’t really need upgrading, you could spread it over 100 x $10m community projects across the state
We need decent stadiums for big events too. Stadium Australia is already tired and it desperately needs to become a proper rectangular stadium. It’s a great shame we’ve lost the development in my view.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Oh how sad, I can imagine the old man turning to his wife after fulltime and saying what the **** was that ****.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
This place is woke.
Dimes
Peter Jackson

Post by Dimes »

Question wrote: April 24, 2022, 11:12 am Oh how sad, I can imagine the old man turning to his wife after fulltime and saying what the **** was that ****.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Yeah I was thinking about the poor parents. Travel around the world to watch their son play his first game, watch him play the last few minutes on the end of a 60-0 thrashing. Good times.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I am hoping to see Rushton on in the first half. We have 2 middles on the bench and I reckon both should be on in the opening 40.